Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Beer Drinkers (Page 1)
Author Topic: Beer Drinkers
Maglor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 498

posted      Profile for Maglor   Email Maglor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's come to my attention lately that in many countries people drink their beer warm. Now being an Aussie naturally i only drink cold beer. So who here drinks their beer warm or cold and what is the natural custom in your country.

BTW I can't stand warm beer.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maglor - firstly you need to define beer. If, for example, you class Fosters as a beer than no we don't drink it warm, we drink it as cold as possible. What we class is beer I doubt you would find in Australia (I haven't been put I know others who have and moaned at the lack of real ale), beer is often drunk warm. There is also bitter which is like beer and is also drunk warm.

Fosters is known as a larger, and along with all other larger is drunk cold.

[ 03-24-2002, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer most of my libations to be cold, but as a general rule, the lighter the color, the colder it needs to be. I can drink a stout or porter that is cool, (50 or 60 F) but can't handle most of the Mega brewed American stuff unless it is about freezing.
From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maglor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 498

posted      Profile for Maglor   Email Maglor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cool TG. So what you drink in England is ale most of the time? I guess it has to do with the climate of the place your living in. In Australia it's hot for about 4-5 months and cold for about 3 the rest is in the middle, so we drink it cold. Where as in England it's cold for about 6 months or more so they like to drink it warm.
From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not Maglor, here larger (most of it imported from Australia, Spain, and America) is probably the most popular alcoholic drink in pubs. Personally it depends on my mood but I might have one or two pints of cold larger before moving on to bitter or spirits. I find larger too gassy to drink in quantity.

It's generally older people that drink real 'beer'.

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maglor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 498

That's intresting to hear TG. Larger is the most popular drink in the UK, who would have thought that!

Anyway i too agree that the Lager is a bit gassy. I have about three stubbies of it then move on to the rum and coke or something like that. Of course i don't drink that often maybe every weekend or so.

Citizen # 718

Yes - it is in pubs but I still think the most popular drink (not just in pubs) is wine. Although I'm not 100% sure...

[ 03-25-2002, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]

Maglor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 498

I don't know about you but i consider wine more of a thing you have at dinner or something. I have never really thought of getting drunk over wine, it's more of a nice drink you have to wash down your meal.
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

posted      Profile for Kosomot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I on the other hand get mainly drunk from wine. Home wine, that is. Alcohol is too expensive in Finland.
From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alcohol is always too expensive to get drunk more than once a week as long as it's completely for free []
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

Things can´t be as bad in Germany as they are here. The cheapest wine costs about 4 ½ €, cheapest beer at least 1 € and cheapest cider about 1 ½ €. But thanks to the EU´s tax free laws, the prices are going to drop.
From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kullervo, by "home wine" do you mean that you make your own wine? I'm impressed.
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm almost more impressed by the prices in Finland. Am I wrong or is Finland one of the countries which make the finest vodkas and it's expensive there...? *shakes head*
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Warm beer is only acceptable when there are alot of good looking chicks around.

Also TG Fosters isn't even really an aussie beer. I have never seen it in Australia, it is just advertised abroad as Australian.

Victoria XXX Bitter baby. Cold as lake Superior in Jan.
mmm...

So you like those dark beers eh marcho? Not really my thing. Guiness is NASTY. Killians is drinkable though.

Yes that Finnish vodka is heaven. Far supererior to most chalengers.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
_ _ _
Orome

"The strongest hand uppermost!" Brian Boru, Lion of Ireland.

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Orome - you're right, today's Fosters (or 'stubbie') is brewed in Britain although its origin is Australia. Still, I fail to see the point you were making?
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The number one selling beer in Scotland is, are you ready? Budweiser! Brewed by Guiness in Scotland. It is a typical American weak flavored piss water. When a native was asked about it and the comment was made that "It's only water and alcohol." The answer is "Exactly! Nothing to slow you down and prevent you from drinking much more!"

Yes, I like some flavor to my beer, but then my goal is not to get drunk, but to enjoy drinking.

I will definitely put some alcohol away in the next ten days, mostly rum! I'll be here -> Marcho's Vacation Paradise!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

What do Budweiser and making love on a boat have in common?
-It's both ****ing close to water []

Juree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1420
posted      Profile for Juree   Email Juree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My beer must be cold. And being your typical red-blooded American girl, it's got to be something pretty wimpy and light like Rolling Rock or Michelob Light. In college, I drank Killian's and that still tastes really good to me...but again it must be cold. I also really like wine...red wine. Mmmm...merlot...
From: Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

Yes Bombadil, I indeed produce my own alcohol. In fact, I´ve had quite a lot of it right now. If I wasn´t so fond of it, I could store some of for a longer period. But such as it is, my oldest remaining wine at the moment is 1 ½ years old. I am really proud of it. It´s made of Sorbus; I picked the berries myself.

Belegurth, we don´t make very good vodkas. Finlandia is one of the few known brands. It´s Sweden and Russia that make the great ones, especially Russia.

Pippin Toker
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 168
posted      Profile for Pippin Toker   Author's Homepage   Email Pippin Toker   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I like my beer hot (11-12 celcius). But then i have to be Ale (lager is tastles (esp. that shit Carlsberg from my own country)).

In the Cartoon Asterix in Britain they have a wery good qoute: is your beer warm enouth or should i warm i for you?

Some years ago a pub i copenhagen had a Dark Excalibur (Ale). It was wery good. The O'Hara Celtic Stout from Carlow Ireland is also wery good.

Pippin, Denmark

From: Denmark | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

Right, it is Finlandia I knew, but oh well... it really shows some knowledge if you produce wine yourself... congratulations indeed!!!
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No point TG just sayin.

Piss water eh marcho?
Well i like the flavor of man american piss waters.
Those thick brown shit beers are so thick you wonder what extras may be lurking.

Finlandia is good....

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cireoe
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1950
posted      Profile for Cireoe   Email Cireoe   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like all my alcohol as cold as possible, and I'm from England! But then, I have been told I was born in the wrong country for my tastes...
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

Even red wine?
Cireoe
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1950
posted      Profile for Cireoe   Email Cireoe   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Even red wine.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Beer Drinkers (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help