Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Beer!!! (Page 4)
Author Topic: Beer!!!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It looks like Blue Moon.

Is that a Belgian white type ale?

Stone & Wood don't taste like Blue Moon.... this is unfiltered and unpasteurized. The beer in the states it tastes most like is Northern Lights Solar Wind.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
May I introduce you to Golden Glory, by Badger Ales (the brewery who brought you TangleFoot, Fursty Ferret, and my personal favourite, Blandford Fly)?

http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beers/badgerales/goldenglory.asp

This is a light, summery ale with a distinctive addition of peach blossom. It's yarmy. [] Very good for people who are newish to the world of beer drinking. And no, American lager doesn't count. [] []

[ 07-13-2009, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I had a bottle of Golden Glory when I was relatively new to beer (excluding the mass-produced stuff) and I thought it was bloody awful. Peach juice mixed with beer didn't appeal to me at all. I'm not sure what I'd make of it now...

Blandford Fly is one of my favourite Badgers too, along with Golden Champion. Their Pickled Patridge and Original Ale are reasonable enough, but I don't think much of Poacher's Choice. There's another one called Hopping Hare which I had a bottle of a long time ago and thought was great, but I haven't been able to get hold of it since to see if I agree with myself.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's not got peach juice in it, it's made with peach blossom. But I can see that to a BASS purist like yourself, it wouldn't be entirely the thing.

Blandford Fly is mainly a favourite of mine because I lived in Blandford Forum, and ran in screaming fear from the deadly bite of the eponymous insect on many occasions. One of my mum's compatriots died from it actually, so I think the beer is well named, as it has a hell of a kick.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be called a Bass purist any more, I'm afraid. I haven't had a single pint of it for months, and the last one was a cold, bland, watery pint in the Eg in Belfast. I started rating the beers I've been drinking a few months ago, and have done about three hundred so far. The Bass got 1/10, beating only Coors Light and Corona (with 0/10 each). I'll have to give Golden Glory another go just to see where it comes in the ranking. I might actually like it these days.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And no, American lager doesn't count. [] []
This trumps any fruit so-called ale...
 -
[] []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

*shakes head at the Snowhound, more in sorrow than in anger* []

Glóin, are you telling me that you've finally realised that BASS is horrendous gutrot, made of the bits even breweries throw away?!! [] [] [] THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!!!! []

[ 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

Er...yeah, pretty much.

I don't know about Sam Adams Boston Lager, but American lager isn't universally terrible. For example, this
 -
(Victory Brewing Prima Pils) stuff is great. I gave it 6/10.

[ 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Glóin the Dark ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

It's a great way to get the 'merkins all riled up though. []

I shall be celebrating Bastille Day with a couple of bottles of this:

-

Yes, I do like novelty beers, why do you ask? [] The first bottle I tried was at my friend's party, where I had conicidentally brought the banana bread I had baked earlier in the day. IT TASTES EXACTLY THE SAME. [] Tasty.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Gloin, Victory makes some darn good brews!
And this fruit-beer carp just isn't, be it banana, peach or lime. I like my beer to tast like beer, be it a fine Lager, of which two fine examples are pictured above, or a nice hoppy fresh IPA, or a seriously malty Scotch ale. Fruit-beer... yeeeesh. []

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've told countless people that same exact thing time and time again, Snowdingo! Fruit does not belong in beer - be it limes in Corona, or fruit infused into the beer. I can handle that pecan beer from Mississippi because it's really good. It must be because nuts are pretty much just like grains and hops, so it fits. Fruits are nothing like grains and nuts, and therefore they clash with the beer.

Fruits are good in wine, though, because wine is made from fruit. I love Sangria.

No fruit in beer! []

Oh by the way, good to see you again, Athene. []

We're still missing the Swedish Meatball. []

[ 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Snowman of Forochel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Oh by the way, good to see you again, Athene.
[] Yes it is good to see you back again! I just replied to your post of a year ago in the 'Reading' thread in the Pony!

And now for some beer...

Temple Special Bitter!

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

... and this dog is happy that Temple Pale is available here in Brizzy! []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Nils Oscar
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Swedish! []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

I managed to get hold of a few Nils Oscar bottles last year. The beer was called God Lager ("Good Lager"?). It was nice, but I'd love to nab some of their stouts.
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lager would be correct
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The stout was what I had. Found it in a bottleshop in Brisbane of all places, so I don't know if the shipping enviroment was the best, but it had a 'use by' date several months into the future, & it tasted great!
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A nice place within walking distance has a lot of beer (and pretty damn good mexican food), but I'm a beer virgin and don't know what to get. Any of these good for n00bs who like sweet things?

quote:
On Tap as of 1/26/11

Mad River ~ John Barleycorn ~ 9.5% ~ Barleywine
Avery ~ White Rascal ~ 5.2% ~ Belgian style wheat beer brewed with orange peal and coriander
Black Diamond ~ Rampage ~ 9.1% ~ Double IPA
Deschutes ~ Red Chair ~ 6.4% ~ North West Pale Ale
Dos Eques ~ Amber ~ 4.7% ~ Vienna Style Lager
Pacifico ~ Clara ~ 4.5% ~ Pale Lager

Bottle List
Brewery ~ Name of Beer ~ Alcohol % by Volume ~ Description
Specialty 750 ml ~ $15 (not valid for Happy Hour)
Bootlegger’s ~ Golden Chaos ~ 8.5% ~ Belgian Style Golden Ale, brewed with rock candy
St Somewhere ~ Lectio Devina ~ 8% ~ Belgian style amber wild ale
Craft 22oz ~ $9 (not valid for Happy Hour)
Stone ~ Arrogant Bastard Ale ~ 7.2% ~ Aggressive, hoppy, full bodied, it’s to good for you
Stone ~ 13th Anniversary Ale ~ 9.5% ~ One of the hoppiest beers ever produced
Drakes ~ Jolly Roger ~ 8% ~ Imperial Red Ale lots of hops and caramel malt
Rubicon ~ IPA ~ 6.5% ~ West coast style IPA
Ballast Point ~ Black Marlin ~ 5.9% ~ American style Porter, chocolate malts and aggressive hops
Lagunitas ~ Hop Stupid ~ 8% ~ Very hoppy double IPA
Stone ~ Cali Belgique ~ 6.9% ~ Belgian style IPA
Moylans ~ Old Blarney ~ 10% ~ Barley Wine, big hoppy and malty strong ale
New Belgium ~ Mother Ship ~ 4.8% ~ Organic Belgian style wheat beer
New Belgium ~ Fat Tire ~ 5.2% ~ Amber ale biscuit malt flavor
New Belgium ~ 1554 ~ 5.6% ~ Black Ale malty and chocolaty
New Belgium ~ Hoptober ~ 6% ~ Golden Ale with pale malts and dry hopped
Lagunitas ~ New Dog Town ~ 5.3% ~ West coast style Pale Ale nice citrusy hops
Lagunitas ~ Maximus ~ 7.5% ~ Big bold wet coast style IPA lots of pale malt and hops
Lagunitas ~ Brown Shugga ~ 10% ~ Barley Wine brewed with brown sugar
Big Sky ~ Moose Drool ~ 5.5% ~ American style Brown Ale smooth and malty
Big Sky ~ Scape Goat ~ 5% ~ Pale Ale pale malts and grassy hops
Grand Teton ~ Sweet Grass ~ 6% ~ West coast style Pale Ale big bold beer
Grand Teton ~ Bitch Creek ~ 6% ~ Deep amber with aggressive hops
Deschuttes ~ Black Butte ~ 5.2% ~ Dark and distinctive perfectly balanced
Anchor ~ Steam ~ 5% ~ American classic Steam beer uses lager yeast fermented at ale temperature
Black Diamond ~ Steep Trail ~ 5.7% ~ Amber Ale full bodied full of flavor
Sudwerk ~ Doppel Bock ~ 8% ~ German style dark lager
Blue Moon ~ Belgian White ~ 5.4% ~ Belgian style wheat beer
Stone ~ IPA ~ 6.9% ~ West coast style IPA
Bear Republic ~ Racer 5 IPA ~ 7% ~ West coast style IPA big hops sweet malt
Bear Republic ~ Hop Rod Rye ~ 8% ~ Bold Rye Ale full of hops
Avery ~ Ellie’s Brown Ale ~ 5.5% ~ Well balanced roasted and malty flavors

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ney, long time no see. That's a lot of beer!
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Likes lots of Beer!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Considering you must stop drinking at some point during the day or night, what are the most brands of beer you've tried at one time?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

That's an awesome list, Neytari.

You can't go wrong with Anchor Steam.

Stone is my favourite brewery ever, though most of the things listed there are quite strong.

I'd give an arm and a leg to taste Bear Republic Racer 5. Not my arm or my leg, but almost anyone else's.

Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

pi, do you mean within a single twenty-four hour period?
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Beer discussion bumped. []

Glóin promptly arrives. []

[]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Beer!!! (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help