Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Funny pub names? (Page 3)
Author Topic: Funny pub names?
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I was coming there for Eurovision! I can imagine that bar will be hopping then... no, I will be watching Sweden win from the comfort of my apartment. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Back on topic of
quote:
"Funny pub names? "
The Wig & Pen in Canberra is a great name for a brewpub in a capital city!
The Pig n Whistle is a strange name for a pub too.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why haven't I noticed this thread before? I've been collecting English pub names for years and years - with the ones I got at Athene's Party in August last year, I've now got a list of 912 names. And some of them are funny ...

The Pig in Paradise is a good one. The Golden Cod as well.
Not to mention the Hedgehog and Hogshead ...
quote:
tis good that there is more than one firkin pub
I've got:

Fanfare and Firkin
Faun and Firkin
Flounder and Firkin
Flourmill & Firkin
Forster and Firkin
Fusilier and Firkin
Pheasant & Firkin

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Slug and Lettuce is a pub near me in Chichester []
Did I mention The Shoulder of Mutton and Cucumbers earlier in this thread? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a lot of Firkin pubs there Varnafinde!
Now, to have a beer in each one.... []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a student in the real ale society we use to go on Firkin pub crawls. Which shows how long ago it was! The Firkin's seemed to disappear some years ago!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Apparently there is a chain of Firkin Pubs around Ontario.

I do believe a Firkin is roughly a 9 gallon wooden cask of ale.

[ 09-25-2013, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

We have a Bearded Lady pub here in Brisbane's West End.
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do the clientele have a particular propensity toward . . . circuses?
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The other name considered was The Beaver & Algebra.
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Blue Room ...... Also known as the Bluey
The frenchamans cove ..... Let you guess the rest cos the ale tastes like....

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of strange pubs (as well as pubs with strange names) in Boston, but this is my favorite:

Durty Nelly's.

And is is durty baby, yeah.

The original is in County Clare. And I hear there is one in San Fran.

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dirty or Durty (as in urbandictionary.com) []

There is also a "Durty Nellie's" in Palatine, IL and one in Amsterdam. And a "Durty Nelly's Pub" in San Antonio, TX.
There are probably many more.

On the same theme...
Filthy McNasty's Pub in Vero Beach, FL

[ 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Funny pub names? (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help