Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Drunk stories (Page 4)
Author Topic: Drunk stories
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, only four are necessary and one should be inverted commas rather than quotation marks. Sorry. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let's agree on disagreeing then... []
From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you use them more in French. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe... I actually use them to point out different things:
  • that the word(s) I use are not mine but as close to possible to the exact words used back then (like it's the case for "little")
  • that the terms we later coined together to refer to a specific event (like for "hiding the body")...
  • In one case it means that the word is a euphemism for stealing ("salvage")...
  • And I also use them to note sarcasm/irony a number of times...

Seriously, while you would maybe have used different punctuation on a number of occasion, all are required IMO []

[ 07-31-2009, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

quote:
In one case it means that the word is a euphemism for stealing ("salvage")... And also use them ironically a number of times
Inverted commas, not quotation marks in these cases. []

However, I would still say that they are over-used, because even if you're using a phrase that someone actually used on the night, if it's a phrase in common use it doesn't need to be specifically quoted.

However, my major problem with it is that, as when native English speakers do it, it basically makes you look like a pillock. []

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

[]

Well, I'm not a native english speaker and the only time using them makes you look like a pillock here is when you do that hand gesture to imply quotation marks while talking... Something which I don't do! []

Edit: I've edited some of them out... Does it look better to you now?

[ 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

[]
So true... the problem, I think, is that because you use them so much, I am imagining you doing the bunny ears every time you do it. Plus, I imagine you like this:

-

"If you could just finish up those TPS reports, that'd be great..."

Sorry. []

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

I don't look anything like that... In fact I've spent my entire life making sure I'd never look anything like that []
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think drunken stories are often quite funny - til someone gets hurt. Then they are even funnier. Unless, of course, it is permanent.

[ 07-31-2009, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So if you don't have a car in the US Virgin Islands (me) and you live on the opposite end of said island, the surest way to get home is to hitchhike. It's super normal out here and the crime rate is low enough that you're relatively safe in doing so, so long as you don't have to sit on top of open gas containers while the rastas up front light up their blunts (happened). So a few nights ago I'm leaving the local Irish-Caribbean pub, The Quiet Mon (must go-to if you're in the neighborhood), and was significantly more under the influence than I remember. I was startled awake at 3 o'clock in the A.M. by an incredibly clear realization and literally mumbled to myself: "[expletive] I can't be sleeping on the side of the road!" I braced myself to get up off the ground and remove my backpack-used-for-pillow when to my amazement I found myself IN my bed! You can only imagine my confusion as I groped around in the dark confirming the validity of my senses. What I couldn't make sense of were the ramen noodle crumbs all over my bed (still picking those out). Apparently not only did I receive a ride home, from who I know not, but I had also stopped in at the grocery store and accurately collected every item on my grocery list. ...Oh god, did I pay?
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Jango... a drunk-stagger adventure!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Drunk stories (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help