Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Spirit of Fire - A Word Aside (Page 6)
Author Topic: Spirit of Fire - A Word Aside
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We are back ! []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For 3 posts, apparently []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed writing that post - I like retelling bits of the stories from the books []

I assume that Mathan has never met Fëanor yet.

Mathan assumes that Nerdanel looks confused because she doesn't understand his words - it could just as easily be because she does understand the words, but is confused about the situation.
You decide, Inc' - you know her better than I do []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Okay, I will finally answer a little later today.

Varna - do you think we could have a PM conversation about those RPs we both are part of ? []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We sure could - you've got a couple of old PMs from me, but if they aren't suitable for carrying on with, feel free to make me a fresh one []

We might even have tried MSN, but I'm not on a reliable connection tonight, and having the connection broken does interfere rather negatively with an MSN conversation []

But I get an email alert whenever I receive a PM, so that will be fine []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I'm going to take the train to California via Chicago and Denver on Friday. Since I'll have a lot of idle time in the train, I expect I'll be able to write much, and post from cyber cafés here and there. How does it sound ? []

So you should have an answer to this post on Saturday morning, as well as an answer to your PM - maybe before for the PM, though.

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Take the last train to Clarkesville.

This is what free association gets you.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
post from cyber cafés here and there. How does it sound ?
Sounds great. Reminds me of posting from Swedish libraries []
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Well, turns out I have had no time so far to write or have a proper connexion for more than 20 minutes at a time, sorry []
I should be able to post from bombi's place on Monday, though.
I'll try, at least.

I also have to catch up with the new RP thread as well as your PM and MT in general []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Talking of Swedish libraries - I always had an hour, and it was often not enough []

Do whatever you can, when you can - we'll get something done eventually []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies for a purists rather picky bit of concrit here, but is, 'Young Woman,' quite the right way to describe an Elven lady in Valinor in particular? Young Elven Lady might be a better description! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds a bit odd, I don't go around calling young human women "Young human woman." []
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Calling her a young lady (regardless of race) wouldn't be appropriate here, as that would indicate a higher rank than she has. She's not a lady as such. (Not yet.)

She might be addressed as 'young lady' as a polite term, even by her father, but he wouldn't use 'lady' as the opposite of 'girl' when thinking about her. His point is that she's almost an adult now.

Some writers use the term 'elleth' as a Quenya word for a certain kind of Elven people - but I can never remember what it means exactly, and I don't expect most readers to do so either, so I avoid it. Otherwise it might have been the best word. (I guess it means Elven women, though - can't remember the singular term off-hand.)

Later edit: Sindarin, not Quenya []

[ 10-20-2009, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Elleth is Sindarin (haudh-en-elleth)

'2(d) Ell-, only used in the m. and f. forms Ellon, Elleth, elf-man, elf-woman; the class-plural El(d)rim; and final -el, pl. -il, in some old compounds: see (Sindarin) 3(b).' (Q&E)

I just realized I've no idea what this thread is, and probably have never posted in this forum before.

I thought it was about Feanor. But anyway...

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

This thread is the discussion thread about a Role Playing Game called Spirit of Fire - we're telling a story, and the story is indeed about Fëanor (and about his family). It's fan-fiction, basically - Amarië is playing Fëanor, Inc' is playing Nerdanel, and I'm playing Mahtan (and Indis).

Input with relevant facts is welcome here in the discussion thread! []
Thanks for setting me right about languages - it would have been most inappropriate for Mahtan to use Sindarin in Valinor []

I'll study the grammatical details, though - I may need them in other stories from the Second or Third Age.

[ 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I get it now. LOL, I posted before I paid any real attention to what I was posting in, and then rushed off.

[]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Okay, Varna, I thought of something weird the other day...
You know how my first post here starts with Nerdanel looking at the blue sky before the Lamps were destroyed ?

Well, it doesn't make sense really because the sky wouldn't be blue : it is blue only because of the Sun (source of white light). []

Should I do something about that ?

(And incidentally, is it written somewhere that the sky is blue in Tolkien's works before the Sun is up ?)

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I don't think you need to do anything about it - at least not unless you get a brilliant idea about how to change it, otherwise, don't bother.

I really don't know about blue sky being mentioned - I would have to do some research about that, and right now I can't be bothered []

Perhaps we could finish their conversation at some point, though. We started to PM about it a while back, I'll pick up that PM and continue our discussion ... (Edit: when there's room in your PM box ...)

[ 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(And incidentally, is it written somewhere that the sky is blue in Tolkien's works before the Sun is up ?)
I don't know, but one of the lamps is named Illuin (Quenya: sky-blue). Maybe its light was blue, and Ormal's was gold?
From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Spirit of Fire - A Word Aside (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help