Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Unrest in the Riddermark - RP (Page 5)
Author Topic: Unrest in the Riddermark - RP
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gliss was astonished to see the Queen's lady-in waiting at the entrance to the prison area. The woman was conducting an urgent, low-voiced discussion with the guard, who seemingly was trying to dissuade her from going any further. Gliss wasn't surprised at that; the cells, while considerably better kept than many in which she'd been graciously quartered, were still foetid and the rushes underfoot were old and rotted.

Gliss watched the woman's hand gestures, and saw her point in her direction. For a moment her heart lifted; the sympathy she had seen in the attendant's eyes was not her imagination! But she forced herself not to get her hopes up; probably she was pointing at one of the other prisoners. Hopefully, Gliss thought charitably, she had come to rescue the injured Elora, who was now leaning back against the wall of her cell.

Elora looked calmer than before the healer came, but she was still a wretched sight, in dire need of a bath and a good meal. Gliss had overheard her protestations of innocence, and while she didn't believe her for a minute (having too much experience of the acting skills of thieves and cutpurses to be credulous), her heart still stirred with pity at the hopelessness in the injured woman's voice.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arylia kept her voice low whilst talking to the guard whose name she thought was Fasthelm.

"I just want a quick word with the...uh...boy that was brought down here just recently...can I see him?"

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loremaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5353

posted      Profile for Loremaster   Email Loremaster   Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you sure you want to go in there to speak to him, mylady?" Fasthelm asked. "That area isn't suitable for people like you - hardly even for the prisoners. I could take a message, if you like."

When the Queen's maid insisted, however, he finally gave way.

"All right, then. But not without me. And first I have to go - oh hello there!" he shouted to another guard who was passing by. "Could you take this man to see the Captain? One of the prisoners needs medical attention."

The healer went away with the other guard, and Fasthelm turned back to the woman.

"I'll accompany you then," he said. "You're the Queen's maid, aren't you? I'm in the King's Guard, and my name is Fasthelm. I'm on prison duty today. Strange little fellow, the boy you want to see - he made sure we got a healer to the prisoner who needed it. So many of those villains would only care for themselves."

From: Rivendell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gliss saw the guard gesture for the lady-in-waiting to walk in front of him. Her astonishment grew as she saw that he was indeed conducting the woman to her cell. He was still hanging around, though; she was going to have to play this one very carefully if she was to turn the situation to her advantage. Nevertheless, her heart sang; she was back in the game!
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Berethorn glanced briefly at Éomer as the two men walked through the halls of Meduseld. His eyebrow rose, the motion forcing his scar into a jagged line. It was the only flaw on the young Dúnadan's face, and he despised it.

"Truly, an Elf?" he replied, genuine curiosity in his voice. Why would one of the Eldar come to Rohan of all places? Surely they would have been more comfortable in Minas Tirith...

But he quickly continued, emphasizing his words with a slight shake of his head. "Do not trouble yourself, Majesty. I am a surprise guest, after all, and seeing an Elf in these days is a rare event indeed. Particularly in these lands, no doubt."

They continued in silence for a few more moments before Berethorn spoke up again. "I would very much like to meet this Elf. When are they due to arrive?"

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where are Cú and Lorn? Where did that rat go? It was just here. Who were those men?

Elora's mind bubbled with questions, but all was silenced when she saw the lady-in-waiting. She was clean and beautiful like a dream. Her hair was gleaming and her skin glowed like the new moon. Her eyes and face were attentive yet kind. She stood out like a rose in field of mud.

...Why was she here, among the vagrant and sinned? She was not a creature of the underworld she had entered, but then again neither was she.

Elora wiggled a little bit farther to the right, against the bars, as she stared at the returning rat. There was a crack in the stone on the opposite wall that provided this beast its means of commuting from cell to cell.

Elora then turned to get a better look at the lady. She wished she could look like that one day, but that might be asking too much.

At this point anything is better than this...

She thought as she looked down at her beaten and soiled appearance. She rested her head against the bars and stared at the floor outside her cell. She tried to look at the lady one last time, but her body would not let her. She was just so worn. She tried to keep her eyes open, but darkness came with out permission or consideration.

Her body slumped and her breathing slowed.

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss got to her feet as the lady-in-waiting approached, meeting her eye with her most neutral gaze. However, as the guard's step brought them close, Gliss heard a tiny sigh to her right. As she glanced down, she saw that Elora had slumped to the floor. She was plainly unconscious.

Gliss fell to her knees beside Elora. The woman's face was peaceful, but ghastly, pallid and very thin. Gliss rattled the bars and glared up at the guard with impotent fury.

"Can't you get her out of here? She's hardly a threat in this condition! Why don't you take her somewhere clean and warm?"

Loremaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5353

"The healer has gone to see the Captain about it," Fasthelm answered.
"I believe he will come back with men who can move her to" - he looked around the cell with an expression of disgust - "somewhere better than this. She needs it."

From: Rivendell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss banged her palms against the bars again. "No,", she stormed, "You have to take her to him now! I'll carry her myself if you're too afraid to get your shiny uniform mucky!"

She was stabbed by a sliver of guilt. She acknowledged to herself that perhaps she was only doing this to try to get free, or to get some time alone with the Queen's maidservant.

But no, it wasn't that. Gliss knelt down beside the woman again and, reaching through the bars, picked up the uninjured hand that had been outflung by Elora's lapse into unconsciousness. She looked up at the guard again.

"Please." She spoke quietly. "She's so cold. Please get her some help now."

Loremaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5353

"You're not taking her anywhere, young man, you're staying right here." Fasthelm wasn't sure how much of the concern that he saw in the other was genuine - but there was certainly a core of honesty there.

"I'm not worried about my uniform," he continued, "but I'm worried about the safety of this other young lady here. If I leave her with the prisoners while I go somewhere else, and she comes to any harm, I'll have the Queen to answer to. I'd much rather wait until the healer comes back."

He hesitated.

"Although the less time this patient spends in here, the better."

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

A field opened up to a quaint country scene not too uncommon on the hills of Rohan. Fine eating stock and light riding horses sprinkled the meadow. Pigs, goats, and poultry can be heard in their well kept pens and small stone barn from behind a stone and thatch house with many windows. An independent farmer with money to live a slightly more lavish life a few days ride from town. Out where there is peace, quiet, and one with the land.

The pigs squealed as a body half jumped, half fell over their pen wall. Blonde curls, now sopped in mud, blew softly in the light morning breeze as bright red blood seeped out into the dark brown of the sloppy ground. Some of the pigs steered clear towards the back of the pen, while a couple other sniffed the strange mass, wondering what was wrong. They all startled again with a jump as the nearby chickens flapped, flew, and scurried away to safety as a young boy dashed out of the barn and towards the house. Blood ran from the back of his neck, down his back, as he stumbled his way across the yard in a frenzied panic. He could not breathe. He could not scream. He hit the servants’ entrance door as a sprint and he flew back with a heavy crack, against the wall. All was dark and eerie.

In a field just on the other side of the woods the birds sang and danced as squirrel bound from tree to tree. A dark grey draught horse grazed on thick lush grass along side a pair of light boned broodmares. The tree grew quiet as the birds and forest life silenced. Horses popped up their heads staring beyond the trees, holding their breath. A scream of a horrifying pitch ripped through the air and then was abruptly silenced. The birds startled and flushed from the grass towards the safely of the tree. The dark grey stood motionless, gazing at the forest. Something was coming.

Bloody hands grasped for stability on the trees, rocks, and felled trunks of rotten wood. Tatters of blue cloth and strands of bloody hair snagged themselves on twigs, branches, and bark. It was only a few more yards. The texture of cold metal and supple leather in hand, reassured what little feeling of hope there was. All most there. Escape is the only option, there is no going back. Run. Breathe. Run. Where? How? Why?

[ 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Dancing Sparrow ]

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss sighed. "Fair enough," she said. "I could offer to defend her honour, but that would mean letting me out, wouldn't it?" She gave the guard a cheeky grin. The woman stared at her impassively.

OK, no chance. But it was worth a try.

Loremaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5353

Fasthelm felt bad about the sick prisoner, but he knew that he was supposed to look after the Queen's Maid first of all. To his relief, there was the sound of steps behind him, and the Healer returned with two guards.

Fasthelm helped them getting the woman out of her cell, and had the Healer tell him where he would be taking her.

Then he turned to the Queen's Maid again.

"You may talk to the young man in peace now," he said. "I'll be right over here where I can see you, and if you need help, I'll know it immediately."

He walked a little way up the entrance and took his stance there, slightly out of hearing distance, but somewhere where he would have a good view of the cells.

[ 10-12-2007, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Loremaster ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss took a step up to the bars, but stepped back again. The woman's face was still expressionless. She was not an intimidating-looking girl, with her soft bands of hair and fine dress, but something in her look made Gliss reluctant to speak without leave. So she waited in silence as the woman's gaze followed the retreating guard out of earshot.
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lothíriel sighed and returned to her bedchamber. In the distance she could hear the clanking sounds of the men practicing with swords, and the neighing of horses. Her room itself, however, was quiet and lonely.

As it always was.

A sudden desperate sadness nearly overwhelmed her, and she crossed her arns tightly across her chest as if by doing so she could keep the tears at bay.

She was so lonely.

The life a queen had seemed so glamourous at first, but the reality lacked the romantic splendor of her dreams. She missed home desperately. She longed to hear the sea and to hear the melodic tones of her own language...she longed to see her father, her mother...even to taste the familiar flavours that would always remind her of home. Her heart clenched at the thought, and she found herself fighting tears. How she wished to return home!!!

And why can I not? Father would certainly welcome me back with open arms...

Almost on impulse, Lothíriel grabbed dresses and garments, thrusting them quickly into a small bag she had brought with her from home. She need only take a few things now - the rest could be sent for when she reached Dol Amroth.

Her hands shook with fear at her own audacity, but for the first time in what seemed like ages she felt alive again.

Going quickly down the serants steps, however, she stopped suddenly in her tracks.

She had no idea how to get back to Dol Amroth. She had not been paying attention to the direction when she arrived, and had no idea of how the carriage had come. She would need a guide. A guide who was not fanatically loyal to her horse-mad cousin.

Then she knew.

Hurrying down the back stairs she reached the dungeon and entered quietly. Upon reaching the thief, she found her maid speaking to him and quickly dismissed her, turning to the criminal once the other woman was out of earshot.

"How badly do you desire your freedom? For I have a proposition that might interest you."

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loremaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5353

The Queen?
She actually came down to these parts of the palace?

Fasthelm could hardly believe his eyes, but there was no mistaking Queen Lothíriel.

The Queen sent her maid away - to fetch her something, perhaps - but she didn't seem to have noticed the guard. He could see her speaking to the thief that the Queen's Maid wanted to talk to. He couldn't hear what was said, though.

Fasthelm moved a little closer. If anything might turn out to threaten his Queen, he wouldn't be unprepared for it just by not having heard.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss had heard that there were times in a person’s life when they may have cause to doubt the evidence of their senses. This was her first experience of it though, as she gaped stupidly at the haughty and magnificently dressed woman in front of her. It’s the Queen, her brain kept repeating. The Queen of Rohan is making me a business proposition. Of course, because this sort of thing happens to me all the time.

Eventually, she became aware of a soft, repeated noise like water dripping. The Queen was tapping her slippered foot on the layers of filth on the prison floor. Queens are not known for their patience. Galvanised, Gliss swept into a deep bow, playing for time.

“Your majesty,” she began, consciously deepening her voice, “I would be honoured to serve the throne of Rohan.” She took the liberty of glancing up at the Queen, and knew immediately that she had made a mis-step.

The Queen’s face, with its cool beauty and skin like the finest porcelain, was now twisted into a look of genuine disgust and pain. Gliss wondered if she had been too obsequious, too obvious, but then the Queen spoke.

“My errand is not on behalf of the throne of Rohan. Rather the reverse.”

Gliss gazed at the woman, at her dress embroidered with gold thread, at her glossy black hair, and at the gentle swell of her belly. What in Arda have I got myself into now, she thought.

[ 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Unrest in the Riddermark - RP (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help