Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Unrest in the Riddermark - RP (Page 4)
Author Topic: Unrest in the Riddermark - RP
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arylia backed slowly out of the Queen's room, her arms still full of fabric. As she stepped out into the hall, she used her foot to pull the door closed, and then turned, giving a sigh at the amount of work she now had to do.

She lifted her eyes from the bundle of fabric to come face to face with someone who most definitely should not have been there. It was a young man, or at least it looked like a young man. There was something in the face that didn't quite ring true with Arylia.

"Who are you? You shouldn't be up here!"

[ 09-14-2006, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gliss turned to face the woman who had just emerged from the chamber. She was clearly of Rohan, judging by the tint of her hair, and was just as clearly a lady of high birth. Her arms were also full of fabric. For a moment, they both stared at the bundles in each others' arms. Then the woman's eyes widened with surprise and the questioning note in her voice when she spoke was sharp. Gliss thought quickly.

"The housekeeper asked me to move these brocades into, er, into one of the upper rooms my lady."

Gliss bowed slightly as she spoke, taking care not to allow the brocade to slip and reveal its contents.

[ 09-14-2006, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arylia's eyes narrowed slightly, and she pressed her lips together tightly. The voice was not quite right with the clothes, in fact there was something not quite right all together.

Arylia has spent all her life in the Hall, she knew almost every face, from the high-born, to the kitchen girls, and yet this face was not familiar.

Finally she spoke, "Which room were you directed to place them in?" She decided to play it a little carefully, it was possible after all that the boy had wanted to get a glimpse of the royal quarters.

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gliss thought quickly.
"She didn't say precisely, my lady. Maybe she thought there was someone up here who would be able to direct me?"

She knew that at this point her chances of getting out with her life were not good, let alone with the plate. She decided to get rid of it and run.

"Perhaps you could take them for me, or show me the correct room?"

[ 09-14-2006, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Arylia's eyes narrowed even further. She knew the Housekeeper well, and she also knew that the old bat would never just direct someone to wander round aimlessly. What was this boy up to?

She thought quickly, would it be best to confront him directly?

"Hmmm, perhaps I could show you the room..." she placed her own bundle on the ground and held out her arms. "Why don't you give that to me?"

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss tried to contain the relief she knew must be showing on her face, and placed the bundle into the woman's arms. As the woman took the cloth from her, she hitched it up at an angle. Gliss watched in horror as slowly, unstoppably, the plate slipped out of the folds and fell to the floor with a horrendous clang.

It seemed to roll for an impossibly long time, each revolution producing a long, hollow note, until it eventually spun off into the wall with a final clatter.

They both stared at it for a long time. Gliss' mind was completely blank.

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

"What the..." Arylia stared at the plate for a moment, and then up at the boy, her expression furious. "Did you...are you..."

Moving quickly, with reflexes trained from a childhood of having to react to startled horses, she dropped the bundle and lunged forward and grabbed his upper arm in as tight a grip as she could manage.

"If you move I will scream, and scream, and scream, until every single person in this place will be up in this corridor with us. We have ways of dealing with people like you."

She was breathing heavily, hoping that he couldn't hear the fearful pounding of her heart. He isn't that big, she kept telling herself.

[ 09-14-2006, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

"Alright, alright!" Gliss forced herself to stay still. She made frantic placating movements with her free hand.

"Don't call the guards, I'll, I'll leave. I'll leave the city. You won't see me again."

Gliss knew that the high-pitched tremor in her voice had probably betrayed her. She wondered what the punishment was for impersonating a man in Rohan. Well, she thought with the desperate calm of the completely busted, they can't hang me for thieving and burn me as a witch.

[ 09-14-2006, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lothíriel heard the commotion in the hallway and sprang to her feet, hurrying to the hallway. When she saw Arylia clutching the arm of a...boy? her eyes narrowed.

She yelled for a guard, and when he arrived, had him restrain Gliss at once. He was a tall, burly guard, and there was very little chance of her escaping from his grip.

"Who are you," she growled in a low voice, "Daring to steal from us?"

She turned to Arylia.

"Go fetch my husband at once. He shall know how to deal with this scum."

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

But Arylia didn't move, her eyes fixed on the young 'boy' being held by a guard.

"Your Majesty..." she said softly.

Her thoughts were whirling through her head. He was clearly a she, and whilst she was still a thief Arylia felt a certain pity for the girl, and she certainly didn't want a girl to get the rough treatment that a boy would recieve from the guards...and if they then found out she was a girl...the treatment whilst different would be no less rough.

"Perhaps...perhaps we could find out what...s...he was doing first?"

[ 09-14-2006, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In the false afternoon light smeared by the grimace of the storm clouds above, Lorn came to a stop just a few meters from one of Edoras’ perimeter gates. There were a few, some slightly hidden, along the great wall, but the main gate was certainly noticeable. It was not as large and grand as some others, but the two stout guards standing at attention below green and white banners whipping through the rain was enough to make her uneasy. They did not pay her much mind at first, but gave her a questioning look as she slowly dismounted then passed between them. The woman did not look down, but she could feel her body instinctually cower.

“Halt!”

She froze solid and shivered with fear and cold. The guards stared for a moment then moved with one to Lorn’s front and one to his back. The front guard looked the woman in the eyes with a stone-like expression.

“What is you name girl and what is your business in Edoras?” he questioned.

“My name is Elora. My business here is a dry room and a warm meal.” She answered.

The guard studied her for a moment as the rain beat down on them, then waved his hand passed his head.

“Proceed.” He called, then returned to his post as the other guard did the same.

Elora continued forward on the muddy road that lay ahead of her. Her fear was soothed by the overpowering sight before her. The rain may have dampened spirits, but it did little to halt the busy coming and goings of Edoras’ people.

Back at the gate a grey blur caught the guards slightly by surprise as it whizzed by. Cu had found something lovely rotting in the grass, but abandoned it when he realized he had been left behind. He trotted through the masses of people before the sea seemed to part and he spotted Elora and Lorn. He caught up with them quickly only to have his nose desire to catch up with something else.

To Cu’s right was a small hut structure that reeked of delicious meats, nuts, and something that wasn’t so pleasing. He left Lorn’s side and walked cautiously to a table underneath the structure’s canopied stand. There were people everywhere shouting and arguing over this precious table. Cu only saw what was in front of him which happened to be a slab of relatively fresh pork loin. He gazed with uncontrollable urge as he licked his own chops.

“One slab of pork is it? Very well sir! That will cost you….” The butcher stared at the blank area where the pork should have been. “THIEF!!”

Elora turned her head to the ruckus near the meat market. As she peered through the rain to see what was happening she started to wonder what she was going to do about food. Her stomach growled. Just then she noticed Cu by her side with a happy tail madly going left to right while a slab of meat hung from his mouth.

“We were wondering where you had gone off toooo… Cu!! What have you done!!” she gasped.

She pulled the meat form his face then led Lorn away in a hurry. She had no where to hide the meat and no where to hide herself.

“Cu, you are going to get us kill…”

A hand grabbed her arm as another grasped her throat. She would have screamed but the guard’s grip tightened. She could not even breathe. Cu began to bark then lunged at the guard as Lorn reared to the side. The guard fought with Cu as Elora fell to the ground. With out thinking she made the move to preserve her own life and limb and made a run for it. All at once Cu howled in pain as an arm clotheslined Elora to the ground. More hands pulled her to her knees as the world turned black and her fear of seeing the innards of a jail cell became her reality.

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"I think it's clear what this ruffian was doing, Arylia," Lothíriel hissed, narrowing her eyes at the creature before her. "And I do not think there can be any excuse for this person having such items other than that they are thieving them. Rohan will not be robbed!"

Lothíriel glared at Gliss with righteous indignation before signalling to the newly arrived guards to take her.

"I shall see that you are brought before my husband for this," she said viciously. "You know who he is, don't you?"

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss was silent as she was led away, partly because she did not feel anything she could say would help her situation, and partly through surprise. She had seen real sympathy in the lady-in-waiting's eyes, and that had given her hope for a short time. Sadly, it had made no difference.

The guards were mercifully impassive and, although firm, made no attempt to slap her about as they carried her away. She went with them without resistance; the less attention she drew to herself the better. She knew that she couldn't keep her sex a secret forever, and although she was under no illusions about her lack of beauty, she suspected her plainness would not prevent her becoming a target once she was revealed as a woman.

The guards placed Gliss in what was obviously some kind of holding cell at the entrance to the squalid prison area. She looked around her. The only other occupant was a woman, filthy and exhausted, slumped hopelessly in the corner of one of the cells towards the back. Her hair fell across her face and she was cradling her arm as if injured.

Gliss' curiosity niggled at her. "Are you alright?" she called softly. "Are you injured? Do you want me to get someone?"

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Everything was fuzzy and the smell of feces, sweat, and death was so strong she thought she might start convulsing. Her body was one pulsating bruise, but her throat was by far the most pained. He knew that it must look terrible and tinted the color of the stormy sky outside. She could fell the swelling from her ears, deep through to her throat, and down to her collar bone. She could not move her head or neck in any manner and the simple act of swallowing was unthinkable. She did not move and only adjusted her eyes towards the soft voice calling to her. She did not believe it to be true and maybe that the rats were speaking to her in her dreams.
Across the aisle was a slender face with an almost pale complexion peeping through the darkness. Elora’s jaw was so sore she could not yet speak and only smiled at the face questioningly. This face did not look like one you would find in a cell. Not that she’s ever been in one before, but she still felt this face to be… comforting.

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

"Your Majesty..."

As the girl was lead away, Arylia tried once again to appeal to the Queen. She dreaded what might be happening to the poor girl down in those dark cells.

"Your Majesty...will you not reconsider this?"

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

Elora stared through the barred walls at the face across the way as it looked back. She slowly rolled her body to the right then slowly crawled closer to the outer edge of her cell. She tried her best to speak, but all she could manage was a soft whisper. She was not sure that the face heard her or not.

“You are all I have seen in hours. Who be you?”

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss hunkered down on her haunches and pressed closer to the bars. The woman was in dreadful condition; dear Eru, she could barely speak!

"I'm Gliss," she whispered. She paused. Oh, what the hell. "I'm a thief. Look, I can get the guards to get you some water, some food? And a healer?" The way the woman was cradling her injured hand didn't look good, and Gliss knew that if there was a broken bone it needed to be set now rather than later. And a wash and some dry, clean clothes wouldn't go amiss.

"What are you in here for?"

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

Elora rested against the wall and stretched out her legs. She looked up at the leaky ceiling and the dark stones of the walls, then back at the face.

"My dog." she said with a raspy whisper. "He wa...he...was hungry."

The next moment something caught here eye from with in her own cell. Here eyes instantly flashed over as her body slowly followed. A large rain drenched rat scurried in the corner. She couldn't possible eat just yet with her throat so swollen so the plate of food that had been sitting there had began to turn and the rat wanted it. As it inches closer following the scent, Elora carefully pulled her legs up to her chest. The rat couldn't have been more than three feet from her as it munched away.
What was she doing in a cell in the middle of no where talking to a criminal when she didn't even know why she had awoken under that tree in the first place? She was not supposed to be here and neither was that damned rodent. She could even smell its rain drenched hide.

Why?

She looked back up at the ceiling and back the walls. Was she losing her mind or just in dream with out the ability to awake? She began to cry as she looked back at the nasty rat. She wanted a bath.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss took a decision. She couldn't be in any more trouble than she already was, so why not help out someone who was obviously too injured and demoralised to help herself? Besides, a lady who cried at rats probably shouldn't be in here in the first place.

Gliss kicked the bars a couple of times, and yelled for a guard. "Hey! Hey you! Someone needs help!"

The guard came promptly enough, frowning but not aggressive. Good.

Gliss pointed at the woman. "She's hurt, I think her arm. She needs a healer." And a bath and a good feed, she did not say.

The guard looked the woman over thoughtfully, and turned on his heel without speaking.

"I think he's gone to get someone," she whispered. I hope, she thought.

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

She looked back at the face called Gliss his voice echoed down the hallway. The guard walked in stared at her then left.

Elora doubted the guard would return, in a giving mood at least. They were criminals so why would he care to give them anything?

When the rat had gone Elora mustered the strength to crawl across the cell closer to the Gliss face. She whispered to the best of her ability, but produced not much more than a breath of soundless air. She hoped Gliss could read lips and partially whispered words.

“I…hi…I…m… El..ora.”

Her throat hurt and she wondered when the guards would bring her before someone so she could try and prove her innocence. Maybe a high ranking soldier or official

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Gliss could see that the woman Elora was in far worse shape than she had initially realised, and was relieved when the guard came back more promptly than she had dared to hope. He was accompanied by an acetically-dressed man who he let into Elora's cell.

The guard stood by in silence as the man hunkered down before the injured woman and started to examine her arm. Gliss retreated to the back of her own cell, away from the shaft of sunlight slanting across the floor. Mercy missions were all very well, but she was supposed to be keeping a low profile.

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

"I...am in...innocent" Elora whispered to the man as he looked her over.

She sat there wondering if they were going to do anything at all to help her. Why should they? They have seen planty of real criminals pass through these bars.

"Please he...help"

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

"Reconsider?" Lothíriel looked at her maid for a moment, confused. "Are you questioning my judgement?"

She crossed her arms across her chest angrily.

"I think that you do not know your place."

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Arylia lowered her eyes in embarassment. "I am sorry your Majesty, I did not mean to speak out of turn."

She quickly gathered up her bundle of fabrics, keeping her eyes low.

"Please forgive me, and with your permission I will go now to start work on your dress."

She didn't wait for the Queen's permission however, but quickly hurried away. She also didn't begin work on the dress. She dropped the bundle off in her work room, and set off towards the cells.

Loremaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5353

posted      Profile for Loremaster   Email Loremaster   Edit/Delete Post 
Fasthelm was watching the healer as he examined the imprisoned woman's arm. If it was broken, he sincerely hoped that it hadn't happened while his fellow guards were taking her into prison. He knew that some of them could be a bit rough, even towards a woman.

Finally the healer got up.

"Her arm is broken," he said. "She needs to be moved, to somewhere where I can minister better to her. Would you please take me to someone in charge."

Fasthelm thought about it. His captain would be the one to ask. And if necessary, he would take it to the King. An injured woman shouldn't be stuck down in the prison cells. They were bad enough for people who deserved them.

Together they walked out of the prison area. A woman was walking towards them. Fasthelm thought he recognised her - she was the Queen's maid, wasn't she? What was she doing here, near the cells?

From: Rivendell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Unrest in the Riddermark - RP (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help