Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Calling all writers - Thread Idea (Page 2)
Author Topic: Calling all writers - Thread Idea
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I suppose the RP format could be to blame. The only problem then is should I relocate this to a different place. Because if it is not in RP format then will WGW allow it to remain here?
It might still count as one of the RP resources, which we've got some of in here.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's true.

Right, decision made, I'll be reworking this so that this thread will be the main one. Forget RP format and all that. It seems like it might be too much of a problem. However I would still ask people not to go off topic too much, and to keep chat to a minimum. I'll leave the other thread up for a few more days and then I'll be deleting it. I'll be editing some of my posts in this thread, so if all of a sudden a post in response to one of mine doesn't make sense then please accept my appologies.

Right then, to business of a sort. Hopefully those who are interested in this thread will still want to participate and I would think that the first thing to do before we move onto anything else is to discuss what we're working on, and perhaps our ambitions with regards to our writing.

I may as well start things off.

Well, I'm currently editing about the tenth draft of the first novel of my trilogy, a book that took about six years to write (what with doing a degree course in the middle and all that). Despite being 'finished' it still seems to get bigger, an addition of about four thousand words per re-write, and I'm not quite sure if I'll ever be completely satisfied with it, although I'm told that all writers suffer from perfectionism when it comes to their writing. I've got about four other novels under progress, mainly just rough plot and character outlines, but I'm hopeful that eventually I'll be able to actually write them. I've made a start on the second novel of the trilogy of course, but it's a much more complex book, and is taking a fair amount of planning. I write short stories, (or at least what are indended to be short stories, they usually end up being the basis for a new novel idea), and some poetry, although I've only ever written about two poems I'm proud of, most of them are complete rubbish!
As for ambitions, well I do want to be published one day. I would love to reach the stage were I could write for a living. I have had some interest shown in my trilogy by an agent, but as yet have not followed it up (I wanted to get it finished first).

Well that's me, rambled on for a bit sorry about that.

Right, now I would love to hear from all those people who showed an interest in this thread. What are you currently working on? Which type of writing do you enjoy most? etc.

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

posted      Profile for Sepiroth Strife   Email Sepiroth Strife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A candle in the dark, moved yet unmoving. That was what he was. Though never realizing it, he did as others told him and thought it his choice. His instinct was someone else’s, his mind was not his own. He set out to do good, to bring light to those with none. Some he found he lit from himself and they became their own candle. Others were as wet clothing, determined to live in the darkness. Still others could have been candles but if lit turned out to be powder kegs. As every flame he gathered moths, people too weak and ignorant to guide others by example. The more light he gave off the faster he died, yet he couldn't stop his inner drive to light the world. Each candle he met he shared in their flame, each wet piece of cloth he set to dry, each powder keg he lit illuminated briefly and lessened his flame. At the end of his life he sat and watched young candles try bringing the light. He shared in their flame and helped them along, all the time wishing they wouldn't. When at long last he died his flame sputtered and spent, leaving darkness behind in his wake.
From: Temple, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A very interesting take on the topic, I like it. Please feel free to join the discussion (such as it is so far).
From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

posted      Profile for Sepiroth Strife   Email Sepiroth Strife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really working on a story right now, but I do steadily create characters for games and stories. Though usually I start with a form or style of fighting. I guess I believe that fighting is the purest form of expression (in the words of the handmaiden in KOTOR2).
From: Temple, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

In my opinion the creation of characters is the most important part of any type of writing, and coming to your characters through a style of fighting they have is just as good a way as any, as long as you are able to flesh them out beyond that.

I have to admit that I spend a fair amount of time coming up with character ideas often for RP's on here. The key of course is to try and make them as realistic and flawed as a real person. Nobody likes a perfect character! I tend to start with a name rather than anything else, don't ask me why, but I always find that as soon as I have a name the rest of the character falls into place.

What about other people? Anyone else still interested in this?

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else still interested in this?
(some years later) Yes! I think we should go for it and see what creativity is let loose from the citizens. I started a tale in the Writer's Hall, & posted some of my Tolkien based tales in another thread called Short Stories. I hope to add more tales to these threads in the coming days, and hope others will do so as well.

[ 03-08-2009, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully people who wish to make comment on RP stories will seek out the Word Aside threads and not post in the story threads. One can only hope....
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the threadmaster never renamed this thread to be the Word Aside of the other - if she ever meant to do so. So if people look for the Word Aside threads for Short Stories and The Writers' Hall in the Green Dragon, they won't find any. You put a footnote in a post in The Writers' Hall that you would use the current thread as the Word Aside for those two - but it's easy to overlook.

It's important to look at the style of a particular thread, though. If it seems that people play in character, chances are that it's an RP and supposed to be kept in character, and that other comments should be kept out. Even in an Inn, especially if it sits in the Green Dragon.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Incanus' post in that thread, too, and it seemed a comment post, not an in-character post.

I'm sorry, you all know I don't break rules that I actually know about, and I hope this doesn't mean lingering bad feelings. If I can relocate the only creative bone in my body, I'll try to work up a character and post something more RP-ish in place of my comment... but it might not happen. The creative juices seem to have dried up.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I figured it had to be some misunderstanding. I've never seen you post comments in the RP thread where I've RP'ed with you, or where I've seen you RP elsewhere. You seem to respect the rules of the threads where there are any such.

Missing creative juices - there seems to be a general draught on MT these days. Let's hope we can get them flowing again.

And you know - if all else fails - there's the Short Tale []

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Oh wow. So someone hauled this one up from the depths of the Green Dragon as well!

I can't even properly remember what I'd decided to do about this in the end.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Currently we're just using it as a WA thread for a couple of others that didn't have their own - which is one thing you were considering as well at one point.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I kinda thought this was a soort of word aside to the Writer's Hall where stories would be posted. I decided to post a tale tere as it seemed the right place. The other thread for stories is Mandin's Short Stories thread.

My other option was to start my own thread, but I didn't want the duplicity.

Lyra, don't worry about it, & no hard feelings from me. Commenting in RP or story threads always, to me, was considered bad form and usually done on another thread. For some reason, it always seemed to be accepted here on MT to comment in-story/RP, which has been the main reason why I quit posting RP & stories here early on in 2001. I removed my RPs & stories `from Minas Tirith and took them elsewhere where some of the RPs flourished and one is still active today. If its just me being a hard-@ss about the comment/OOC posts, tell me & I'll shut up about it. The Writer's Hall isn't "my" thread afterall.

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*huggles Snowdog*
From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
For some reason, it always seemed to be accepted here on MT to comment in-story/RP, which has been the main reason why I quit posting RP & stories here early on in 2001.
Perhaps that changed later?
I didn't start RPing here until 2004, and the RPs I've been in since then, always used WA threads for comments.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

There were 'Word Aside' or "OOC" (Out Of Character) threads accompanying the story threads, but folk, usually n00bz but not always, would crash the story thread to say this or that or talk to a poster. Maybe it got better later as I admit I had given up on RP here (until Shadow Over Arnor), & by '04 I had a full calender of Tolkien RP writing elsewhere.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Although the WA thread idea is not the only way of making comments upon a RP of course it just seems to be the one that has caught on here! It is interesting and amusing to look around the Internet and see the different ways in which people use this concept of talking about the RP without been in it! I was until recently involved in one where the word asides where made in between *'s!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[]

I guess I'm too much an old pen & paper RP type to put up with chatting in the actual RP story. I've seen some of the *place OOC comment here* RPs elsewhere & wasn't too impressed with the actual RPs when they are a couple lines of in character dialogue with ten lines of OOC chat in the same post.

As for 'WA - OOC' threads being the norm here, its a good thing in my opinion. Maybe my way of thinking about collaborative role playing on the internet is passe & I should probably just leave it be. What do other RP'rz think?

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't suggesting we should change that here. I was just saying it's interesting how different people around the Internet handle this concept. Although it is true, now that I think about it that an OOC seems to be the norm as far as Tolkien RP's are concerned.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I like an RP to be a story which I can read like a novel, with no more footnotes (or OOCs) than there would be in a novel. I prefer to read the discussion separately.

Not quite sure what you mean by "my way of thinking about collaborative role playing on the internet", Snowdog - I don't think it would be too different from mine, actually, for a guess.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

My way of thinking is where one writes scene, setting, and other narrative to build the picture for others along with some dialogue, and the other writers do the same. This opposed to the 'chat' RPG, eg:
Post 1 - 'Joe walked into the inn and ordered a beer.'
Post 2 - 'Hi, I'm the innkeeper, what will you have?'
Post 3 - 'I'll have a Victoria Bitter please.'
Post 4 - 'We don't have Victoria Bitter, but we do have Tooheys New.'
Post 5 - 'No VB? Well, I'll have to go to the inn down the street then.'
Post 6 - 'You do that, good night.'

Out of six posts you have one short conversation with absolutely no scene or setting building. This is what I meant by my statement.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I see. And then I can compare it to your own Snowdog's Inn and see the difference.

And the difference gets even greater when the setting isn't an Inn, but somewhere where chatting is even less likely to occur.

Normally you need at least a couple of paragraphs in a post to build such a picture. Which is more interesting to write as well, I find.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Snowdog, if you do fancy joining an ongoing RP and one which I think will be about for sometime though there seem to be only two of us regularly posting in it at the moment, how about been a Hobbit in Road to Rivendell if Varna will let you and I don't see why she shouldn't! We certainly need more players there!
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

True - and when we've finished in the Shire, we'll need Elves and perhaps even Men as well. If you're interested, Snowdog, do PM me about it ...
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Calling all writers - Thread Idea (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help