Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Calling all writers - Thread Idea (Page 1)
Author Topic: Calling all writers - Thread Idea
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago there existed here in the Green Dragon an inn dedicated to those who had a love of writing and wished to share that love with others, and perhaps learn something along the way. It was known as the Pen and Parchment Inn.

Sadly, despite doing a great deal of buisness in the early months, its creator (yours truly) left MT for a while and it died. Numerous attemts were made to revive it, but sadly they failed, I think mainly because some of the people who used to frequent it have long since left MT. However I have decided to see if it could be recreated.

I know there must be other aspiring writers here in MT, I cannot believe that I am the only one, and if you are one, then would you be interested in a place to discuss your work, and perhaps gain a few invaluable tips?

I have seen this done in another forum and it works quite well. They have critquing sessions where writers are able to post a small section of their work and receive helpful and constructive criticism, and also suggest exercises that can help flex that all important muscle of the writer...the imagination.

This would be an invite only thread, you would have to ask here to join, although of course most people would be welcome. It would also be in an RP format, as the old P and P was.

What do people think?

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jujemu
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4706
posted      Profile for Jujemu   Email Jujemu   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: "The World" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fraeyl the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4807
posted      Profile for Fraeyl the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat idea!
From: A place where people hate getting asked where they're from | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jujemu
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4706
posted      Profile for Jujemu   Email Jujemu   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably perticpate.

E- Would a type of Fan Fiction count?
I've been focussing on writing more Fan Fiction then anything else lately. That is, when I get my free time to be writing.

-TT

[ 12-29-2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Túrin Turambar ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- "I don't want anyone else to die."
- Come play the Haiku Game!
- Gundam Pilot

"Ienai itami, kanashimi de kizutsuita kimi mo waraenai nante, hito kira nante kotoba sou iwanaide ! Mienai mirai ni okoru koto subete ni imi ga aru kara, ima wa sono mama de ii, kitto kizukeru toki ga kuru darou!"

From: "The World" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for it Swordmaster. I guess I haven't tried any serious writing here since some good collaborative works were sabatoged by a few ... well I wont go there. but yeah, it would be fun if people are left alone to write.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theoden Horsemaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5009
posted      Profile for Theoden Horsemaster   Email Theoden Horsemaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's an excellent idea Swordmaster! I am all in!!!
From: Exploring Middle-Earth on my beloved horse Snowmane | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Fan Fiction would count. This would not be so much about what you write about, but rather the way you write it. I will wait to see how many other people show interest, and then i will think about setting it up.

Just remember that this will be in an RP format. For those who didn't participate in Pen and Parchment, see if you can find it and take a look, it'll give a basic idea of what I'm talking about. The main reason for it being in an RP format is that I don't want it to turn into just a lot of random chatting. There will be allowances for that, but I do want it to stick on topic as much as possible.

What I may do to start it off is to suggest a topic and get people to write a short piece relating to that topic, not more than a maybe two hundred words, as a way of ensuring that those who join are serious about it, and not just messing about.

Note: You do not have to be the next Tolkien to join this, the whole point of it is to help people improve their writing. So don't be worried that you might not be 'good enough' no one is perfect.

Note2: If there are any people out there who are particularly good at grammar and spelling but not actually writers themselves (or writers as well), who would be interested in maybe lending a hand to help those of us who need to work on those aspects, I would love for you to pop in. (I know for a fact that my grammar is sometimes absolutely dreadful, and unfortunately it can seriously harm a piece of writing).

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When you say "RP format" do you mean writing a good screen-sized paragraph each post, or one or two lines of dialogue?

I hate and don't participate in the latter, but like to do the former.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

I suppose saying RP format is a little confusing. What I mean when I say it is yes, I don't want people just posting one word responses, or things like 'yeah that's really wicked' in response to people's work. I want people to think about what they are posting. Also (although I don't know if it will work here) in P and P the thread was set up as an inn and people had 'characters' of a sort, meaning that people couldn't post out of character, thereby reducing the amount of mindless chatter.

quote:
A wide path leads down to the well known and popular Inn of the Last Homely House. Many passing along it do not notice much as they walk, eager as they are to reach the warmth and safety of the Inn.
But those who do chance to look notice a new inn. The building is made of rough stone and laid in the shape of an L. A small sign swings gently in the wind, on it are two things, a beautiful eagle feather quill and a scroll. Words underneath them read, The Pen and Parchment Inn.
Leaning against the wall, next to the huge oak doors, is a small slate, written on it are these words, Only those who seek to find a way to leave this world behind should enter in this humble place. For here shall you find those of like mind. This inn is the place for those who seek to discuss one of the greatest skills in the world, the ability to put into words all the beauty and uglyness, all the love and hate, and all the life and death this world has to offer. Enter if you are one such person.
Those who do enter the inn find themselves in a large common room. A roaring fire faces the door and around it are a number of tables and chairs. The short end of the L shape is taken up by the kitchen, through which many wonderful smells drift.
By the fire stands a small girl, though on closer inspection she appears to be about twenty, long red hair falls about her shoulders and her skin is creamy white. Her deep green eyes were once full of sorrow but now she has at last found a place in the world and with it peace.
She waits patiently for customers.

That was my first post in the P and P, so you can see the style it was done in. I do not know if that would work again.

quote:
Neela smiled again pleased to have someone willing to share their work. "I personally would not suggest writing the important parts first and then tying it together. My novel orginally started out that way and I am having a great deal of difficulty in putting it all together. For example I know my characters have to be in a certain place at a certain time because I've already written that part but things happen as I write it that I did not expect."
Neela stopped, thinking for a moment, "Prahaps before I go on I should point out that I am also attempting to write a novel. I'm about half way through and am lucky enough to have already found one agent that is interested in it. However the biggest bit of advice I can give is to let your characters do the work for you. I mean, they will come to life and change no matter how hard you try to control them. I for example have the problem that one of my characters that started out as the secondary sidekick type character is now determined he wants to be the hero. Hopefully some of you will understand what I meant by that or else I'm going to look like I've lost my mind."

This second quote from the P and P I've copied to show the sort of length I would like people to post, although a few lines is acceptable if, and only if, they are not just mindless chat, and do have something of interest in them.

Hope that helps.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Actually that does. It seems that "rp" at least on other boards, MEO being an example, is after the first post setting the scene, it deteriorates into each post being a few lines of dialogue, and eventually dying out after 30 - 40 posts of such. It seems nobody wants to read previous posts or even think much on what is happening around them, I guess this is an offshoot of the IM RP.

Anyway, hope this works!

Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

posted      Profile for Lady Sandry of Ruatha   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Sandry of Ruatha   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for it.
From: Ruatha Hold | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legoli
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2269

posted      Profile for Legoli   Author's Homepage   Email Legoli   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for it, though like TT, I'm kinda mainly focusing on getting some of my Fan Fic's published. I have a tendancy to
"Mary-Sue" *Shudder*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"What are you?"
"I'm French, can't you tell by my Ridiculous accent?"
*pause*
"What are you doing in England?"
"....Mind your own business!!"
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

From: Mirkwood | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Ok, this is good, there seems to be quite a few people interested in this. So I think I will set it up. What I'm proposing now will sound like a sort of enterance exam, but it is not intended to be.

Basically if you wish to be involved in this then I will expect a certain amount of dedication. I'm not saying that I want people to post every hour or something but I don't want it to die out after a couple of pages because people can't be bothered. Therefore in order to show your dedication, if you wish to take part then please post in this thread a short piece of writing on a topic I will give in a minute. I would say just post any short piece of work, but it is a very good writing excercise to write something to a provided topic. There will be no time limit on this, but you will not be able to post in the main thread until such time as you have posted here. People who may find this thread in a few months time or whatever can also join in this way. Do not worry, I will not be judging, it is merely a demonstration of your writing skills.

Note: if people do not like this idea then tell me and I will come up with something else. Fan Fiction etc is allowed as long as it fits the topic.

Ok, the topic is:
A Candle in the Dark

Note2: A little help to any who are unsure. The topic can be taken literally(sp) or metaphorically. i.e you could provide a descriptive piece of a candle in a dark room, or you could take the idea, a candle in the dark, as a metephor for hope against all odds. It is up to you. Poetry is also acceptable.

Note3: I will of course be writing something as well, it is only fair after all.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basically if you wish to be involved in this then I will expect a certain amount of dedication.
It's an interesting idea, but I don't think I should commit myself right now, as I've got several other commitments as well (even just counting the MT ones [] ).
If things change, I might turn up later ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Well you will be most welcome if you do decide to join.

Now, I thought it only fair that I post my 'submission' first, if nothing other than to give people an idea of what I'm expecting. I don't want anything too long, my piece is three hundred words, but anything between two and five hundred would be good.

Here is my piece:

It flickered slightly, even though the air lay still and heavy, the only glimmer of light in an otherwise dark world. A single flame atop a pillar of pure white wax. It was only recently lit, for no rivulets as yet marred its smooth surface.
It illuminated little, only the face of a young woman who stood poised above it, its light reflected in her dark eyes. Silence surrounded her, as heavy and oppressive as the air itself, a silence created by fear and desperation.
Wrapping her fingers around the candle the woman lifted it, holding it high so that its light chased away the shadows, falling on the faces of those gathered around her. Women and children huddled together, their faces drawn and pale. She could see the fear that clutched at her heart reflected in their eyes as they watched her.
Moving slowly, she used the flame of her candle to light others, passing silently through the throng of strangers.
“My Lady,” a woman said as she passed by, grasping at the skirts of her robe. “What will become of us My Lady?”
She paused looking down at the woman who knelt before her in the dirty, ragged clothes of a peasant. The hand holding the candle shook slightly, causing the flame to flicker and dance, as she looked towards the still dark end of the hall where she knew a great door lay, locked and barred, beyond which she knew banged the drums of war, where blood was being spilt, and men were dying.
“I do not know,” she said at last, glancing back at the peasant woman in front of her. “It seems that it grows ever darker, ever more hopeless.” She glanced then at the candle held tightly in her hand, and her troubled expression cleared, “Yet where there is light, there is hope, do not yet give in to despair.”

Remember this is only supposed to be a brief indication of your skills, not an epic master piece.

Edit: wow that actually looks really short. Hmmm maybe up to 750 words.

[ 12-29-2004, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

A Candle in the Dark

It was late at the Forsaken Inn as Raven went to her room. Like many nights before, the hours had been long serving food and ale to the regulars and travelers alike, and she was ready for a rest.

The door to her room pushed open with its familiar squeal of the hinges and she quickly stepped in as she began undoing her corset. But she paused as she neared her nightstand by her bed... the aire was wrong. A fear pulsed sudden through her as she looked about the room, but the darkness seemed to enclose around her as the door slowly shut. Missing this night was the light from the candle that she always kept burning. Her thoughts settled as she felt for her tinder pan and flint.

"You looking for this?"

A raspy low voice rang out. Raven jumped with a gasp as she turned to face the direction of which it came. A spark of flint set the dry moss aglow, and with a breath from the shadowed figure, a brief flame erupted. The man held and lit a twig, which in turn he lit a candle that was on the table by the window. The dim light revealed little of the cloaked and hodded man, but it did reveal the fright that Raven's body showed.

"Fear not m'lass, I only put the candle out for I wished no other to visit you this night."

His hood went back revealing his long dark, greying locks, and Raven let out her breath, her fears melting away with the first drips of wax as he stood now before her....

There... thats what I came up with off the cuff upon reading the topic.

Edit: I hadn't read your piece Swordmaster before posting. I like what you wrote! On the word-count.. I don't. It cuts into creativity worrying if one has enough words or not. Just my opinion.

[ 12-30-2004, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Snowdog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Snowdog: A very good piece. I like it.

I understand what you mean about how worrying about word limits and the like can limit creativity, but sometimes it can be a good exercise to write something to a specification, however I can see your point so to others who will hopefully add something soon, don't worry too much about word limits, just use it as a rough guideline.

I will hopefully be sorting out the first post for the main thread soon. I'm not sure what the name of it will be but once I've posted it I'll let people in here know. Once that main thread has been set up please use this one for any OOC posts that you may wish to make.

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Ok, main thread has been started, it's called The Writers Hall .

Not many people seem to have posted since their original posts but then I suppose it has been New Year. Looking forward to reading people's interpertation of the subject, and looking forward to hearing from you in The Writers Hall.

Oh and I had trouble thinking of a name, which is why the main thread name is so lame. If anyone can think of something better, please, feel free to suggest it.

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Hmmm, Ok, despite the original interest no one seems to be actively participating. Perhaps I should abandon this idea for a while?

To perhaps make it easier, ignore the posts before this about writing a piece before being able to post in the main thread. Just post there as soon as you like. I think that this could be really interesting, and very helpful to those of us who do hope to actually be published one day.

If there haven't been any responses by the end of next week, then this thread will be deleted.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To perhaps make it easier, ignore the posts before this about writing a piece before being able to post in the main thread. Just post there as soon as you like.
That could be the problem, or could it also be the RP format of the main thread? I remember that being one reason to keep me out of The Pen and Parchment Inn. I like RPing, and it might be interesting to discuss one's writing, but I somehow didn't find a good way to combine the two. Would a plain 'writing discussion' thread be better? Just asking, maybe some others who haven't participated either, can add some comments on it ...
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Incanus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5034
posted      Profile for Incanus   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If I am accepted, I would like some help with my writing. I am only twelve, but I hope to publish my first book shortly after college, or even during.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I aistan ilfirinion

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Of course, you are more than welcome.

I suppose the RP format could be to blame. The only problem then is should I relocate this to a different place. Because if it is not in RP format then will WGW allow it to remain here? Hmm. Will have to think about it. If people do dislike the RP format then I will delete the Writer' Hall thread and re-name this one.

If people who are interested could give me their views I would be most greatful.

Incanus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5034
posted      Profile for Incanus   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, where exactly is The Writer's Hall? Is it at the Green Dragon, because I searched for it there and could not find it.

Anyway, thanks for accepting me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I aistan ilfirinion

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor -Laurelin-
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3717

posted      Profile for -Laurelin-   Email -Laurelin-   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Writers' Hall

[ 01-09-2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: -Laurelin- ]

From: Québec | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Incanus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5034
Thank you

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I aistan ilfirinion

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Calling all writers - Thread Idea (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help