Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Infected (Page 4)
Author Topic: Infected
Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

posted      Profile for Aermîr Goldenflower   Author's Homepage   Email Aermîr Goldenflower   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Telepvilya sighed. She wanted to take care of Resta's wound first, but if they had no time...

"I will come," she nodded, before turning to the Orc, "I'll tend to your injury when we reach the White City, all right? That is, if you want to come with us."

From: Moving from Point A to Point B. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

posted      Profile for Sepiroth Strife   Email Sepiroth Strife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Resta, looking intensly relived at the news of her inability to treat him at the moment, got to his feet and looked defeatedly at his dropped axe. It was split throught the haft. Sighing he took it anyway and grabbed an extra axe a warrior had dropped nearby. "I'll go, but I'm not going in the King's presence. Somehow I doubt he'll believe the word of an orc or anyone travelling with one." The familar anger and resignation welled up inside him. He then looked around at the others and saw at least grudging acceptance there. In a fight there are no gray areas, enemies are those attacking you, and allies are those ignoring you to attack the ones you deem enemies. I guess that makes some of them see me as an ally. But that rationale doesn't explain the elf lady. She put herself in danger to help me and continues to help me as the fight is ended. Why is she doing this? Is she repentant for some past crime, real or imagined? Maybe. Is she in love with an orc? Surely not. Why else? Resta pressed his hand to his makeshift bandage and found that blood had started seeping through. He cut off the soaked bandage and rewrapped himself in semi-fresh bandages from a pack on his thigh.
From: Temple, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

posted      Profile for Aermîr Goldenflower   Author's Homepage   Email Aermîr Goldenflower   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Telepvilya smiled sadly. He spoke the truth.

"That's all right," she replied, "You can wait somewhere else while we speak with the King."

As they started towards Minas Tirith, Telepvilya sighed to herself.

What is wrong with me? she asked, Why do I attempt to help an Orc? They were they ones who killed my family... yet still... Looking at Resta, Telepvilya couldn't bring herself to believe that he was evil. There was something about him that was different than the others of his race, very different.

I'll trust him for now, what can it hurt? she decided with a smile.

From: Moving from Point A to Point B. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
During tha chaos Forondor had hacked, slashed, mangled, dismembered and hewn his way through many infected. Men, orcs, women.... and children. He then realized it. In the twilight of battle he was confronted by a child who was obviously beyond redemption. He didn't realize it at the time, but he killed him. He had no choice, yet still the thought plagued him as deeply as this magic curse could. Sitting in the aftermath of battle, he held his head in his hands and wept. Finally, raising his head when all seemed resolute to go to the capitol, he said, "Let us go then. With all speed. If we are lucky then perhaps the plague has not reached them yet." With that he turned and began leading them out of the city. Along the way he stopped by well and washed the blood out of his scarf and other clothing.
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

posted      Profile for Sepiroth Strife   Email Sepiroth Strife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Resta watched the blood drip from Forondor's scarf and clothing and a flash went through his brain. "Stop, The blood from your clothes is infected...and you are giving it the opportunity to spoil this well. I don't know if it can infect when mixed with water or how long after the host dies and the blood dries the plague remains potent...but?" Resta ends with a shrug and a look saying ouder than words, "Who can take the chance?" Resta went on, "I'm sure in a river you can be certain that the toxin in the blood will be carried away made harmless. Anyway, we should be moving."
From: Temple, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Forondor heeded the Orcs words, he went wide-eyed at the prospect that he didn't even think of that. He simply nodded his head and held the clothing away from the well, "We will pass over the Anduin to exit the city anyway, I will wash my clothes there. Let's get moving." It wasn't more than five minutes before they reached the center of the city, Forondor broke off from the others briefly and soaked his scarf at the bank of the river. He looked up and saw countless bodies drifting aimlessly in the river, some of them were infected and still alive, stuggling to stay afloat. The ranger brushed it off and finished his washing. He ran back up the bank and followed the others as they passed out of the city limits and out onto the Pelennor Fields. The whole group stopped, shocked at the sight. Bodies were strewn all up and down the roadway leading to the White City. The plague has spread even farther then they had expected. Only a few signs of life could be spotted around the plain, none of them could tell whether or not they were infected. There was no sign of the city's fate yet, the ranger prayed they got the gates closed in time. He was brought back into reality when he heard a voice beside him say "We must get going."
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

"We must get going," Telepvilya whispered urgently, noting that Forondor seemed lost in his own mind, "Forondor? Are you all right?" She placed her hand on his shoulder, a little worried at his apparent detachment from reality.
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

"Right," he slowly stepped forward, "Let's stick to the road, keep your weapons ready and stay under cover as much as possible. Move quickly, but do it silently." He pulled his hood up to cover the fear in his face, then bolted across the long stretch of nothingness to the first up-turned cart. He looked inside. Nothing. Signaling to the others it was safe, he turned and sprinted to the next wagon. They did this, one by one they moved across the Pelennor for hours. Not a soul was to be found. The ranger looked north, a few carts apparently tried to make a run for it without success, east lay Osgiliath in defeat. Southward he could see merchant ships with their sails down, yet they had run ashore, one was burning. West, Minas Tirith loomed above them, growing taller with each step, yet it was still beyond earshot. Above the city there seemed to a black cloud of vultures circling around the lower levels. He let out a deep sigh and feared the worst.
Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

Telepvilya didn't like the look of anything she saw and she certainly didn't like the look of Minas Tirith. It sent shivers down her spine with the quickest glance.

Swallowing her fear for the meantime, she followed Forondor towards the White City.

"This appears bad," she whispered, "Very, very bad."

Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

"I agree," they pushed on. When the reached the main gate, it was sealed shut and not a sound came from inside. The sun was setting and they all feared being trapped outside in the dark. "Guard of the White citadel, what news from the King?" He didn't like shouting so loudly. There wasn't any reply for minutes, he shouted again but got concerned looks from his fellow survivors. "There, movement." A distinct silhouette of a man started moving along edge of the wall. "I don't like this."
Moments passed without a sound, then the figure returned and replied: "Shhh"
The main gate slowly opened just wide enough for one person to fit through at a time. Forondor turned to the others and whispered, "Keep on guard, it could be a trap." He drew his sword slowly and stepped through the doorway. There he was surrounded by four Gondorians, weapons drawn and ready to strike.
"You will not speak until spoken to and you will follow directions exactly as we give them or we will not hesitate to kill you. Sheath your sword and motion for the others to come in."
The ranger did as they told him, for now he was sure that they had no infection.

Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

As Forondor motioned them forward and they entered, Telepvilya felt relieved at what she saw, yet very uncomfortable. She did not like having sharp pointy objects pointing at her... but then again, who does?

"At least this means that if infected were here, they managed to beat them off," she muttered quietly.

Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

Resta sat outside the gates of Minas Tirith and awaited his companions return. As he sat he reflected on what he had seen and heard on the way here. And oh, the sights they had seen. Men and women trampled to death by hundreds if not more feet, sword hacked bodies of those slower than the infected wave behind them, and most worrisome of all, areas where pools of blood gathered yet no body. The eerie silence around them thundered in smothering any noise the group made. Attempts to brighten spirits or gain information died mid-word as the utter lack of sound strangled the weak words.

When will they get back, and will the King help, Resta thought. A good king would help the populace and lead an attack on them to silence the disease, but what if he doesn't? Can we honestly do anything to stop them...

Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

The gondorians quickly ushered the group into a doorway just inside the gate, the room was pitch black. The door slammed shut, a torch was lit. The light it cast was dim and eerie shadows danced along the walls, Forondor could see that two soldiers stood sentry at the door. Finally, their captain addressed them: "What, in the name of the king, do you think you are doing? Standing outside in the open, shouting like some wartime herald and calling all manner of attention to yourself; you fool! Do you know what curse has befallen us?"
The ranger stood silently, staring the man in the face. he decided not to waste time and get the information they needed. "How many levels have fallen?"
Their captain turned in disgust, "four. They took the first two almost instantaneously, as it seemed. We were trapped here in the first level, all we can do is hide. If we fight, they will overwhelm us, as we have seen happen to our comrades. Though word has reached our ears that the fifth level is holding for now."
Forondor looked to the others and back. "They are still lose in the city?"
"You are lucky we weren't swarmed moments ago with all of the racket you were making."
"Then why haven't you let the main gates open? Let them out." The ranger had realized that Resta remained outside, he had to think quickly of way to get him to safety, he would not be able to hold out there by himself.
"And let them run loose into the world? Are you mad? We are containing them here. And what madness drives you to this quarantine? We should not have let you in."
"We seek out the king, our intent was to warn him of the impending danger. Yet we are too late for that now. Now we come to aid with our knowledge and perhaps study for a cure." his trust was beginning to grow with these soldiers.
"You intend to fight your way through 10,000 plague ridden Gondorians, through four levels in the dark? You are mad. There is no hope for reaching safety." This captain rested himself on a table. "There is nothing the first level can do, we have no purpose any longer. We plan to ride out in the dark in one hour, there is nothing we can do but hope to survive. If youtay, you will be on your own."
This infuriated the ranger, "You would abandon your king and country. You selfish coward. Give us back our weapons and we will find a way to the top of the city, with or without you. And when we do get there. We will be sure to inform the King of your 'loyalty' to him." He grabbed his sword without waiting for them to hand it back and charged through a second doorway that led up to the wall. The fact that the soldiers didn't follow them concerned Forondor. He turned to his companions, "We should not have left Resta outside, it is too dangerous, we must get him within these walls. Does anyone have a rope?"

Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

"I may," Telepvilya says, and begins rummaging through her pack. While pushing aside various objects and searching intently, Telepvilya looked up at Forondor for a quick moment.

"Do you think we can do it?" she asked, her eyes darting back down, "Do you think we can make it to the King alive? If you do, then I'll trust you." She finally found the rope and handed it to the ranger.

CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He had remained silent during the entire journey to the white city, reflecting on what had happened. What have I done to deserve this life? Why has Eru cursed me so? Why was I the one to have to see my family transformed into monsters and see them fall under my own sword? He ran in silence, as tears of rage and sadness went streaming down his cheeks as he ran. He fought these demons to save the world, but inside his own demons took control of him, giving him strength, fueling his rage and hatred, giving him the strength to go on each day just to live to see them die. The memories played over and over in his head. Every time he saw the infected, he saw his beloved daughter with the fire and hatred in her eyes. He saw his brother drenched in blood, and insane with the disease. He saw his own wife fall under his sword as she threw herself at him to tear him apart in rage. The demons ate at him, giving him no rest. As they got to the white city, he followed Forondor's lead. He watched and listened as He argued with the soldiers. Stupid men, Nárcollo thought. Forondor charged through the doorway, and Nárcollo stared at the soldiers. He glared at them, and hatefully sneered, "You heartless monsters are as bad as the infected." He took his things, and followed the others through the door. "We will make it to the King alive. Whether or not he'll be alive when we get there is another story." They threw down the rope and helped Resta up the wall. "Absolute silence while we go through the city. Single file and as fast as we can without making a sound. Ambu you lead since you know the city." They started up into the city and watched with utmost caution for the infected.
From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

Forondor glanced around. All were present, now that Resta clambered over the wall. The darkness seemed to shout at them despite the complete silence of the night. He pulled his scarf over his nose to help against the stench of rotting corpses. The faces of the survivors all looked to him for leadership, in their eyes were fear, rage, hope, sorrow and uncertainty. He considered Narcollo's words, I don't know this city, I don't anything about this place. This is the first time I've ever been south. They can't know this. They're relying on me now. "Narcollo is right. Single file, keep to the shadows, move with utter silence." He started down another stair when they were stopped by the thundering noise of the main gate opening followed by the galloping hoofs of several horses. "So they leave us," he said in reference to the guards. He slammed his fist into a barrel near by, "that will have attracted the attention of the infected." He looked down the street frantically, shapes were coming out the shadows and rushing down the street towards the gate. "The rooftops! Quickly." He climbed a stack of boxes onto a low rooftop and turned to help the others up.
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"The rooftops!", Forondor exclaimed. "Quickly!"
Nárcollo's hatred swelled. They will pay for this one day. I will make sure of that. "I'll hold them off. The rest of you follow Forondor." Nárcollo turned towards the coming horde. He opened his bag of Shurikens, and began throwing them at the monsters. One after another fell beneath his barrage of throwing stars. But there was always another to replace the ones that fell. This isn't going to work. I have to think of something else. He pulled out his bow and began firing into the swarm, but the effect was the same. He turned and looked at the others. There wasn't enough time. The infected would kill them all before they had a chance. Nárcollo paused for an instant, and then did what he knew he had to do. "Run on towards the top of the city! Eru will have us meet there!" He pulled his cloak tight around himself and covered his face with his scarf. He pulled out his sword and screamed at the infected, as he rushed the the onslaught. The first line fell before they knew what hit them. They broke into a frenzy trying to get to him, killing each other in the process. I won't last long in this killing spree, he thought. He hacked his way towards a side street where he knew he could make a run for it. Slowly he progressed until he saw his opening. He made a break for it. He yelled at the swarm, who realized that he had gotten away, and they ran after him. He took off running as fast as he could. He knew there would be more infected coming and that he could only run so long. Eru, Help me!, he prayed. You have cursed my entire life. Give me the strength and speed of Tulkas and Orome. I have not had my vengeance yet. Please give me the chance to right the wrongs that have been commited against me. Nárcollo ran on. The infected slowly fell behind him as he ran through the streets. He stopped momentarily and thought. He could get on top of the buildings here. He climbed up to the roof and thought of his next move. Surely the others would not have waited for him. Forondor would have done just what he had said to do. They would meet him at the top of the city. He made his way along the rooftops stealthfully and hoped the others would be there waiting for him.

[ 06-25-2005, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: CloudStrife ]

From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

The others struggled onto the roof, all except Narcollo. His shouts rang up so all could hear them. The ranger watched in horror as Narcollo rushed the onlsaught of monsters. "That fool! He won't last long on his own." He turned to the others, "Continue along this line of rooftops, once you reach the gate to level two, wait for me there. If I am not back after half an hour of waiting... continue on without me." With that he dashed across the perpindicular line of rooftops, following the swarm of infected that seemed to follow Narcollo. Maybe I can reach him still, get him out alive. He has no hope of making it alone.

[ 06-25-2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Jango Fett ]

CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

Nárcollo ran along the rooftops with speed that surprised even himself. He wasn't quite sure where to go, but he figured if he stayed in one place too long, they would smell him, and they would find a way to get on that roof. He decided to try and see which way the company would have gone, and meet up with them before they got to the roof. If only I knew this city... It all looks the same to me... Nárcollo ran until he knew he had been at that place. He was lost and wasn't sure where to go. He looked around. There was a tall building not too far away. If he could climb up there, Maybe he could see where to go. He made his way to the building and climbed to the top. He looked out and saw a familiar figure making his way away from the building he was standing on. "Ambu!", he called out quietly, but forcefully. No reply. He jumped down onto the lower rooftops and took of in the direction Forondor was running. With any luck, he could catch up to him quickly. He ran after the man for a couple of minutes until Forondor stopped suddenly. He whipped around to see Nárcollo running towards him. "Ambu! Finally I caught up to you. Where are the others?"
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

He followed the swarms of infected for a long time, it seemed. So long that the swarms dispersed into small bands and loners. No sign of the elf anywhere. He started making circles around the area where he thought he might be, finally he heard his name called out in elvish.
"Ambu."
It was a forced whisper. He bolted along in the direction he heard it from. He found nothing for minutes. Finally he stopped, realizing the call came from behind, he whipped around to see Narcollo puruing silently.
"...Where are the others?" the elf asked.
"I told them to go on to the second gate and wait for us there. they won't wait long. We must go." He looked around, scoping out the best route along to rooftops. He motioned to follow and ran off. Leaping from building to building, they made their way through the night. It was cold, and chillingly silent. Even the infected were quiet. What are they waiting for? Suddenly he stopped. "I just had a thought. They are weak against fire we have discovered. If we can sneak into one of these houses, it would be a good idea to stock up on candle oil and other burnables. We will undoubtedly need it later."

Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

Telepvilya waited where Forondor had left her with Resta. She tapped her foot impatiently out of worry, unsure of what else to do in the meantime.

"I hope they're all right," she stated, the tone of her voice seemingly almost bored, but there was an edge to it, "They'd best be quick."

Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

Resta hated this city more and more as he leapt its rooftops and hid from its former denizens. Too many places to hide. At least so far the infected hadn't used ranged weapons. I guess they are too enraged to do fine tasks. They get through locked and guarded gates by running up the ramp created by the fallen. The way my people used to. The bloodrage of the orcs is not much different from this plague...except the plague's grip isn't dissolved when battle ceases. "By the Eye of Sauron, they have found their way to the rooftops and are now pouring out to find us. Waiting be damned we either find a hidey hole or run to the upper levels."

Resta marveled at how years ago he would have done the opposite jumping to battle crying out his rage. I didn't think I would be getting into trouble like this when I climbed the rope they sent down. That gesture showed how strange his situation was. He, an orc, was climbing into a human city aided by elves because they didn't want him killed. The mere thought of that blew his mind. And I didn't join in the fight earlier. What am I now? for certainly I'm not an Orc anymore. A rush of footfalls alerted them both to the infected that had found them.

Three rushed in a ragged line followed by two spread apart. Behind them were four more that seemed to be moving slower than the others. In a rush Resta's head was clear and weapons were in hand. He flung out both arms and released his two weaker axes and retrieved his favorites from their loops on his belt. The twin thrown blades stopped not the first enemies but the ones that would shortly back up the front line.

With a quick flew and extension of his legs Resta propelled himself axes first into the leftmost enemy ending its fiery-eyed charge in a spray of gore. Turning he noted Telepvilya charging albeit slower than his maniac leap towards the right hand fighter. Resta spun, axes trailing in an arc, into the center enemy first axe smashing aside its guard while the second cleaving easily into the infected vunerable face. With the front two lines vanquished Resta had time to notice why the four rear fighters were moving slower. They had heavy armor covering themselves. The armor identified the wearer as guards of the Citadel. With the armor they each carried a greatsword and a shield. They moved in a straight line with disciplined steps and military precision. This image was made sinister by the flames burning slowly in each of the guards eyes.

Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

Telepvilya was sick of fighting. There had been too much of it this day already and, if they didn't get out of there soon, there would be more of it. She hated thinking about it, but the best tactic may be to retreat. The others could find them later.

Cutting her way through another infected, Telepvilya made her way to her fighting Orc companion.

"Resta!" she said, pulling on his arm in attempt to guide him away from the battle, "I think we should get out of here! Now!"

[ 07-01-2005, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Aermîr Goldenflower ]

CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

"Excellent Idea!", Nárcollo exclaimed.

The two jumped down and entered the house they had been standing on top of. They gathered wood, lamp oil, and any other type of burnables they could find in the house, and stuffed them into their packs, until they couldn't hold anything else. They went back out of the house, and climbed back onto the roof. "We need to go back to the others. They may have begun making their way to the citadel by now. We don't know what the other levels of the city hold yet, and the last thing we need is to get separated and lost inside a city full of infected."

Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

Resta turned at the tug on his arm and nodded to the elven suggestion. "I don't know how those four hold their precision in the grip of the infection but frankly it bothers me to have to fight four well armed and armored foes fighting in concert. We should flee." Resta saw beyond the gate to the next level no threat, but between them and the gate were two warriors like the four behind them. "Two on two are fair odds...let's attack together and sweep past them. Slaying them is of little consequence, maiming is just as good and likely to take less time." Resta grabbed his two axes he had thrown and whipped them forward just ahead of his charge. Telepvilya swung out to his side to attack the other just as his double axes forced her opponent to block and open himself to her.

Focused on his own charge Resta plowed through the lone enemy in his way with two swings of his blades. He slowed momentarily to stomp down on his opponents head and smiled at the sound. Retriving his axes from Telepvilya's adversary, they ran together into uncertainty.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Infected (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help