Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell (Page 4)
Author Topic: Road to Rivendell
Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
posted      Profile for Eöl i Moriquendë   Author's Homepage   Email Eöl i Moriquendë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ilandra spurred Ídáe in the direction of the Gap of Rohan. It was dark now, the sun was gone from sight and all was dark.
Time passed quickly as Ilandra rode. After what seemed two hours, the sparrow spoke up.
'Where are we going?'
'Like you need to know...' She muttered under her breathe.
'Well, I do need to know.'
'You will find out soon enough, until then stay quiet.'
'Stay quiet? Your the only who can hear me.'
Ilandra ignored the sparrow and rode on.

'We should stop soon.'
They continued riding through the plains of Rohan.
'Are you listening to me?'
'I wish I wasn't...'
'Smart.'
'Look, do you see that?' Ilandra pointed ahead of them to a small shaped building.
'I see it.'
'Should we?'
'Whatever.'

Ilandra rode up to the small building. It was a stable in the middle of the plains of Rohan.
'Now what are the chances of that?'
'Now that i've met you? Very high.'
'I don't get it.'
'Look whos the idiot now.'

Ilandra dismounted herself from Ídáe and let her horse into the stables. There was straw everywhere which would serve for a matress. Ilandra settled herself into the straw. She sighed and closed her eyes.
'So my bird...any smart comments about this?'
'I have a name you know.'
'Oh, and what might that be?'
'I was named Lassæ.
'You were named? How strange.'
'Do you think I was born like this? Of course I was named! I am a creation!'
'You don't have to yell in my head!'
'Sorry.'
Ilandra rasied her eyebrows in suprise.
'Excuse me?'
'I said i'm sorry.'
'I don't think I got that.'
The sparrow known as Lassæ cursed.
'Something wrong?'
'No. Of course not.'
There was some silence for the next couple of minutes. Then Ilandra spoke up again.
'My name is Ilandra...'
'Oh so now you speak up?'
'A quick rest. I'll take watch.'
'No need, I don't sleep. I'll watch.'
When Ilandra heard "no need" she was already asleep.

From: Havens of Pelagir | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
posted      Profile for Rúnya Núrimehtari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At hearing Folcmund and Amananna's words Alcaira quickly replied. "I've had enough of a rest for tonight, and I have much on my mind that I believe sleep may not even come. Your journey has been long, and you both must be very tired. Please, let me keep watch for the rest of the night." Showing a reassuring smile Alciara silently walked over to Hrívë, unclipped his saddle and sent him off to get some sleep as well. "Best get as much sleep as you can tonight, for tomorrows road is very long." Alcaira said for everyone to hear, and quietly walked a short distance away. Keeping her sharp golden eye's alert for any strangers that may happen upon their camp in the still night....
From: Spruce Grove | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Folcmund was about to argue that he should be the one to keep watch, but another uncontrollable yawn silenced him. He was incredibly tired, and only now did he truly realize it; if he insisted on keeping watch, he would likely lose his battle with exhaustion and fall asleep, putting the entire camp at risk. Besides, he knew that he would be more effective if he is well-rested, should they come across any enemies.

He nodded to Alcaira and then found a somewhat comfortable piece of grass to lie down on before finally taking off his helmet and then unstrapping his armor and pulling it off, a sigh of relief escaping his lips as he dropped the heavy chain to the ground. Folcmund then unstrapped his sword belt, but loosened the blade in its scabbard before lying down and using his chainmail as an uncomfortable pillow, keeping the hilt of his sword within reach. He was asleep before he'd even realized his eyes had closed.

For a while his sleep was quiet and peaceful, but as the night passed he began to see the battle at the Fords of Isen. King Helm rode before his countrymen, his mighty horse bearing him proudly towards the enemy. Folcmund rode on the left of Fasthelm, his father, while his brother Déormund was on Fasthelm's right. As they charged the Dunlendings, Folcmund could feel all the strength of Rohan surrounding him, thrusting towards the Dunlending as a single, mighty spear point; but that spear was shattered by a storm of arrows flying from the Dunlending lines. Scores of Eorlings fell, but not Helm. Folcmund watched in awe as his king barreled straight into the Dunlendings, tearing a gash through their lines for his men to follow him into. They smashed their way through the invaders, and for a time it seemed as if victory was all but inevitable.

But then, amazingly, the tide turned. Folcmund wasn't sure what had happened, but suddenly the soldiers of the Mark were in full retreat as Wulf and the army of Dunland pushed forward. He remembered seeing Déormund surrounded, and he left the rest of the army to try to help his brother, only to watch as he was pulled from his horse into a sea of Dunlendings, their spears and swords thrusting in unison. Folcmund raised his sword and prepared to charge, but his father, who had followed him, held him back. Seeing that they were cut off from their comrades, the two of them fled north.

After maybe an hour of hard riding, they had stopped to rest their horses near a small brook; Folcmund was crouching near the water, washing the blood and grime from his face and hands as Fasthelm stood nearby, keeping watch. His father was saying something about trying to circle around Wulf's army and rejoin Helm at the Hornburg, but he stopped abruptly. Folcmund remembered turning and seeing his father on the ground, pierced by Dunlendish arrows, and he barely had time to react as a pair of Dunlendings charged him on foot. He grabbed his father's sword and killed one and wounded the other before quickly mounting Grimfola and riding away, sparing a single glance back at his father's body as Folcmund fled into the east.

After that, his dreams became frenzied and disjointed. Images of he and Grimfola attacking Dunlendish camps single-handedly, of him trying desperately to keep himself and his companion warm in the middle of one very cold night spent somewhere in the wilderness, of him doing all that he could to avenge his family and drive the invaders from his home. And then, suddenly, he was standing alone in darkness. He called out, pleading for somebody to come to him, to not leave him there by himself; and after several terrifying moments, his calls were answered. He saw an endless horde of Dunlendings appear from the shadows, their twisted teeth flashing malignantly through their unkempt beards, and then Folcmund saw Wulf, the traitor, standing before him, and at Wulf's sides were Fasthelm and Déormund, their cold, dead eyes boring into Folcmund's. He tried to reach them, begging them to save him from Wulf and from the darkness, but they ignored him. As he ran to them, they faded away, leaving Folcmund alone with Wulf and the Dunlendings, who drew their weapons and moved in on him. He felt their hands grabbing him, and as their weapons raised to strike he screamed, reaching for the hilt of his sword.

Folcmund leaped to his feet, his sword flashing out of its scabbard as he swung madly around himself, hewing at the Dunlendings. When he felt no resistance and heard the blade cutting through nothing but air, he paused, looking about wildly as he blinked and shook his head, trying to figure out what was going on. He was back in the camp with the others. Grimfola lay nearby, fast asleep, and the others also slept on, undisturbed by Folcmund's murmurs and screams. Folcmund looked towards Alcaira, his ice-blue eyes meeting her golden ones. He tried to speak, but found that he couldn't say anything. Finally he dropped his sword and collapsed on the ground again, lying back and covering his eyes with his arms, begging silently for the dreams to leave him in peace as he forced himself back to sleep....

[ 01-14-2005, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amananna smiled, accepting Alcaira’s offer. She rummaged through her bag again, rearranging the contents so that she might rest her head without much discomfort. Worrying not about her dress, and giving in at last to fatigue, she lay down on her back. For a few moments, she looked up at the stars, and then slowly her eyes closed. She slept dreamlessly through what was left of the night, though that sleep was by no means peaceful. Many times in those few hours, she shifted her position, trying to find some relief.

And as the sun broke over the horizon, her eyes opened. She blinked a couple of times and took a deep breath. There was no breeze. Indeed, there was no sound, and Amananna began to wonder if she was really awake or if she had drifted into some dream at last. She sat straight up and looked around to make sure that the others were still there. In the back of her mind was the fear that they had risen at some earlier hour and departed without her. She knew it wasn’t rational, but it nagged her nonetheless.

When she looked, though, they were all still there, all still sleeping except Alcaira, and she was reassured. She stretched her whole body in one long, languid motion. The air was still cool, but she wished that there was some gentle wind. The stillness made her nervous. A quick search through her bag yielded some food and a waterskin which she gathered swiftly, then making her way carefully over to Alcaira.

Her movements were deliberate and slow, so as not to make too much noise or wake anyone. She didn’t know how much rest the others had gotten, but she was certain that the fact that they were still sleeping meant that they could use some more. She sat down next to Alcaira and offered her some food and water, then took some for herself. In the night, her throat had gone quite dry, and the long drink she took was refreshing.

“Good morning,” she said softly, when at last she spoke. “I must thank you for taking the watch last night. As much as I wanted to think that I could do it, I know now that it is better that I didn’t. I feel so much better for having gotten that bit of sleep.” For a time, she thought on the words they had exchanged the night before and the vague memories that came to her mind. “I hope it’s not too bold of me to ask, but would you mind sharing with me what you know about Rivendell? When we spoke last night, I could not help but find something familiar about the name, but I cannot sort out what it is. Why have you decided to go?”

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elyrka Redsmith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3054

posted      Profile for Elyrka Redsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Elyrka Redsmith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rabô didn't dream much. Occaisonally he would dream of chasing a tender little rabbit, or of the things he did with Raedyn. Very seldomly did he dream of his life before the red headed beauty entered it.

This night was not much different. Everything was dull in his sleep, and Rabô didn't enjoy it much. He enjoyed his fine senses too much. Then again, sleep was nessecary. He found himself tired and a few of his wounds hurt, but the pain died away in a slur of darkness...

From: On the wind in the wires. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Éolana felt rather than saw the rising sun as the warm rays hit her aching back and awoke her from her uncomfortable slumber. The ground was damp and cool, and every muscle and bone in her body seemed to ache with a pain she had never before felt. She sat up, groaning as she stretched muscles taxed with riding as long as she had yesterday. Her clothes were muddy and grass-stained, and her hair - she didn't even want to know.

She needed a bath, some warm food, a change of clothes, and a massage from a handsome servant boy, but for now none of those things seemed even the least bit likely. She whistled for the horse, a dappled mare, and before long heard its slow and patient gait approaching her. She mounted - grumbling at the circumstances that had forced her to be here, filthy and alone, in a place where a princess should certainly never be! She would certainly have to talk to her father when she got back to Edoras about sending her away to someplace like that! Even before that village had been attacked - if you wanted to call it a village even - she had never been treated the way she deserved to be treated. And people would answer for it.

She had not been riding long when she heard voices ahead, and stopped the mare abruptly, dismounting. They could be dangerous...but they could be her way out of this nightmare and back to Edoras...she walked the horse forward a few steps before she saw the figure of a young woman, approximately her age, and approached her.

"Which way to Edoras?" She asked, with no greeting and no niceties. From the woman's bearing and dress, there was certainly no need for them.

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amananna regarded the woman who approached her with some interest. She assumed that she had seen better days. The woman’s clothes reflected status, even through all the mud. It was obvious that she was beautiful, and Amananna wondered what had caused her to be in such a state. The lady’s bluntness was not lost on her, but having rested she was feeling much better and was determined to offer what assistance she could.

“Good day to you. Edoras is South of here. Not directly, but very nearly. The way is not safe for one traveling on her own, though. Perhaps you would accept some aid. Some food and a little water, if you like. I suspect the rest of the party shall be waking soon. We’ll be having breakfast then…” Her voice trailed off, not knowing which direction the group intended to head when they started off that day.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Éolana looked at her, almost scornfully.

"I am quite well, thank you."

Her stomach rumbled, but she ignored it, and did not break in her resolve. She had eaten enough peasant food in the last weeks that she would rather have her stomach rumbling a little than put up with the low quality rations again. She often wondered how they survived eating such things.

"What is your name? And why are you here on the plains?"

[ 05-04-2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Justin Warrick ]

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

Amananna caught every look, every disdainful word that Éolana sent her way. Before responding she took a deep breath and smiled.

“My name is Amananna. And I am out here because my home was destroyed. Raided and burned yesterday. They left nothing…” Her voice trailed off. She couldn’t help it. When she recovered, she continued. “Might I ask the same information of you?”

She regarded Éolana with some curiosity, recognizing that she did not know the circumstances through which the lady had come to be here. Perhaps she had suffered. Perhaps she had lost a home, lost everything. Still, that was no cause for her to be like this. And why did she insist on refusing aid?

“Are you quite certain that there is nothing I could get for you?”

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When Folcmund woke again, the sun had begun to rise. He moved his arms away from his eyes and looked up into the pinkish-blue sky, blinking as he sat up and stretched, a slight yawn escaping his lips. He looked to his left and saw that Grimfola was still asleep. Lazy horse, he thought wryly as he stood and patted the stallion's back. With another yawn, he bent over and retrieved his sword and scabbard, sheathing the blade as he examined the rest of the camp. His eyes narrowed suspiciously when he saw the stranger with Amananna, and Folcmund approached the two of them, his scabbarded sword in his hand.

"Good morning," he said as cheerfully as he could muster in the presence of the intruder (having quickly forgotten his own intrusion earlier in the night). When he reached them, he stopped beside Amananna and glanced at the imperious woman, frowning. "And who might this be?" Folcmund asked, looking over at Amananna again.

[ 05-04-2004, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

Having been so focused on the lady, Amananna hadn't even noticed that Folcmund had risen until he spoke. She turned to him, her mood brightening as he dispelled some of the tension she felt with this stranger about. "And good morning to you. I do hope you got some rest." With his question, her attention was redirected to the lady. Not knowing her name, she could not give a proper introduction. "She's not yet shared her name with me. She only arrived a moment ago, asking the direction of Edoras."

Suddenly it dawned on Amananna just how trusting she had been. She knew nothing of this woman and yet had freely offered her name and other information. A deep pink touched her cheeks and her eyes widened a bit. I may need some time to get used to these changes, but I do not have that luxury now. I must be more careful in the future. Especially now that I am with others. I cannot put them in harm's way just because I am overfriendly. She glanced at the lady and then met Folcmund's eyes, grateful that he had risen before she had done anything too stupid.

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Folcmund shook his head at Amananna, but couldn't help giving her a small smile. She'd realized her mistake, and so there was no reason to reprimand her. Still, she was lucky that this stranger was not some Dunlending spy...or at least, didn't seem to be.

He folded his arms across his chest, his sword held between them and in the woman's view, as he looked her over. "You don't appear to be a Dunlending," he said. "Though I suppose anything is possible these days. After all, they are being led by a man of the Riddermark." When he saw her expression in reaction to that statement, he raised an eyebrow. "You seem offended by the very idea, my lady," he added before she could get a word in. "In fact, judging by the look on your face and by your body language, you seem to expect us to already know who you are.

"Unfortunately, we do not. So then, who exactly are you?" Folcmund asked, his expression hardening. "I know that I have never met you before. If I had, I'm certain I would have been very careful to avoid a reunion."

[ 05-05-2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

Realizing that she had been holding her breath while Folcmund addressed the stranger, Amananna exhaled slowly. She could not supress a tiny smirk upon hearing his last statement, but it transformed quickly into a smile at Folcmund. "I'm going to fix breakfast." She thought it would be best if there was at least a bit of a meal ready for the group soon, and she wasn't altogether eager to stay and talk to this lady. With that she returned to Alcaira. For the first time, she was glad that it was such a silent morning.

She spoke quietly, keeping half her attention on Folcmund and the newcomer. "I'm sorry for that. Now... oh yes, I was going to fix some food. I don't have much with me. Have you three any provisions? I can certainly manage with what I have now, but if there's something specific that you would prefer to have..." Amananna set about her preparations, and at least at this, she was both efficient and skilled.

Rómenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2589

posted      Profile for Rómenya   Author's Homepage   Email Rómenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep. Darkness. But wait....there was a light not far a way...

Raedyn, blinking against the newly risen sun, shaded her forhead with her hand. Judging the time by the sun, she realized this was the latest she'd slept in a long time.

She stretched out, her body scratching against the rough grasses. Rabô was lying beside her, probably grinning to himself...if he could. Receiving a lick on the face, Raedyn was fully woken up.

"Well, Grey one...what shall we do today?" She said, trying to stand, but collapsing back to the ground. She rubbed her sore muscles.

From: In the shadow of the day | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

Éolana's face twisted into an expression of outrage at Folcmund's comments, and she flushed crimson with fury. The nerve! She would see this man's head on a platter if he continued with these insults - and even to her face! At his last comment, however, she could no longer hold back her anger, and slapped him, hard, across the face, leaving a stinging handprint on his cheek.

She pulled herself up to her full height, holding herself with a regal bearing despite the muddy condition of her fine clothes.

"How dare you!" She cried, indignation seeming to seep from every pore of her body. "No wonder you are on the plains like homeless prarie dogs, if this is the way you treat those you are indebted to serve! I expected better of you, Lord Folcmund."

She stopped, watcching his reaction to the fact that she knew his name. Yes, she knew his name. They had never met, but her father had held him in high esteem, although at this point she could not understand why.

"I am sure that when next you meet my father, he shall have far less respectable things to say about you than he normally does. I had always surmised from my father's compliments that you were a gentleman, but it seems you are little more than a well-dressed stable boy. I suggest that you sheathe your sword, sir, before you give me more to tell my father of than simply your attitude."

Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
posted      Profile for Rúnya Núrimehtari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sitting not far from camp, Alcaira silently looked out at the great plains before her. The soft breeze wisped through her long golden red hair as she then turned her sharp elven eye's over the sleeping camp. Once again making sure all was well...

Feeling that she herself may soon fall asleep, Alcaira swiftly stood up and walked forward, careful to not make any noise. But she suddenly halted her soft steps as low murmurs broke through the once silent night. Quickly turning she faced the camp, noticing that the murmur's were now turning to screams. Alcaira's eye's grew wide as they came upon Folcmund as he ferociously sliced his long blade through the empty space before him. Knowing that he was probably dreaming, she quickly started forward as a worried expression came over her face.

Just then he turned his ice-blue eye's to her, and Alcaira noticed that he now seemed awake and alert. Wondering what it was he was dreaming about she gave him a questioning look, and watched as he tried to speak but then laid back down. Knowing that he wished to sleep, she turned back toward the peaceful plains. Keeping her senses alert and ready for whatever else the long night held...

Alcaira smiled as the horizon shone with bright orange and yellow rays of light. The rest of the night had been still and quiet, and at times she felt her eye's start to close. But it was morning now, and she didn't feel like she needed rest anymore. Turning to face the camp she noticed Amananna get up from her overnight bed and quietly walk up the hill towards her.

"Good morning to you as well Amananna, and thank-you for the food and drink. I never noticed how thirsty I was." Alcaira replied as a soft smile come over her face. "I hope you had a restful night, and I was glad to keep watch. It gave me some time to think over everything." She finished and then prepared herself to answer Amananna's last question when she noticed a rider coming up the hill. It was a woman Alcaira could obviously see even through the mud that almost covered the stranger's clothing.

Alcaira listened as Amananna and the new stranger talked, and was about to introduce herself when she spotted Folcmund coming towards the small group. I sense troubles coming... She told herself and silently backed towards the camp. I think it's time I prepare breakfast...

[ 05-05-2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Rúnya Naira ]

From: Spruce Grove | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel woke up. The sun had risen. It was a quiet morning - apart from the voices she could hear from her new companions. Some of them were loud and angry, though. Strange.

She got up, rather stiffly. She wasn't used to sleeping on the ground, although at various travels, she had tried it before. With a thought of regret she realised that this would be the normal from now on.

She greeted Alcaira and Amananna, who were coming over, ready to make breakfast.

"If there's anything you need for a special breakfast, Amananna, my provisions are over there. Just help yourself - we will need to share with each other on this journey. I'll go and see who Folcmund is talking to."

The stranger was obviously a lady, that much she could see even at a distance. But she looked like she had been sleeping on the ground as well.
But she was obviously also a very angry lady. Folcmund was holding his sword, so maybe something was wrong? She ran up to him.

"What's this, Folcmund? Who is this stranger?" she demanded. The stranger started to hear the name, but then ignored her and turned her anger back on Folcmund. When she slapped him, and poured out accusations on him, Barufiniel involuntarily stepped back. What was wrong?

[ 05-05-2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Barufiniel ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Folcmund ignored the sting in his cheek as he shrugged calmly, glancing at Barufiniel. "She hasn't actually given her name, milady," he replied to the Elf. "But this cannot be any other than Éolana, King Helm's youngest daughter." He gave the Elf an annoyed look before facing Éolana again.

"I had a feeling you were royalty," he said to her. "You act like a spoiled child and you believe that the very ground you walk on is the very purest soil to have ever blessed this world," he added, uncrossing his arms and smiling patiently. "If you hadn't noticed, my lady, we are at war. War does not have time for gentlemen or coddled little brats. Thousands of men braver and far more deserving of the name Eorling than you are out there right now fighting and dying to keep Your Pamperedness alive so that you can continue to be forced to wander among us homeless prairie dogs.

"For your information, Edoras is in the hands of Wulf. Your father is somewhere south, likely besieged in the Hornburg. There is no way to reach him; believe me, I have tried to do so countless times already. But of course the hordes of Dunland would be more than willing to let such a fair and noble lady as yourself pass and return to him. And they had better, or else you'll tell your father that they were being mean to you!" Folcmund spat angrily, as if offended by the very idea.

"Listen, I am going to make this very clear to you. Right now, only one thing matters: staying alive. I don't care who you are or who you were, right now you're just one more person, just as we all are. And it is my duty to protect every man, woman, and child of this country, so if Your Highness can get over herself until this little crisis passes--if it ever does--you would be welcome to join us for breakfast, and then you may travel with us. If not, you are more than welcome to pursue other means of escaping this war alive." With that, Folcmund turned and made his way towards the rest of the camp, tossing his sword over toward his armor as he went, his head shaking in anger and disgust.

Hearing the clatter of the sword hitting the chainmail next to him, Grimfola awoke. He raised his head and looked around the camp, a little startled. His large eyes fell on the crimson-faced princess and he gave an amused whinny as he stood up and began to move, stretching out his powerful legs.

Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

Amananna greeted Barufiniel and thanked her. In not too long, she and Alcaira had breakfast started. She was just turning to ask Alcaira again about Rivendell, when she heard the lady's hand connect with Folcmund's face. On instinct, she spun and started towards them, stopping instantly upon hearing the woman's words.

Who is she, and how is it that she knows his name? He hasn't said it, I don't believe. And why does she think it her right to speak as such? It is not as though she acted as a lady ought. She cannot truly expect that everyone she comes across, especially in such times, will just bow to her every whim, can she? Amananna did her best to curb these thoughts, but she was upset and could not ignore them completely.

Not wanting to stand and stare, she returned to her preparations. Her motions were deliberate, as near silent as she could be, that she might hear any of the conflict that came after. And she kept her worried eyes trained on Folcmund, not knowing how he would react to such an affront. Hearing his words to the lady, and to Barufiniel, she suddenly understood. And as he turned from Éolana, Amananna looked away.

[ 05-05-2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Andreth ]

Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
After greeting Barufiniel, Alcaira worked silently beside Amananna as they together prepared a tasty breakfast for the now larger group. Suddenly a loud slap broke through the few seconds of silence and Alcaira swiftly turned to see Folcmund with a large red mark on his face. Shocked, Alcaira turned her piercing eye's to the now crimson faced stranger. Who is this obviously spoiled child who seems to think we should be but honoured to stand on the same ground as her? What right does she have to treat us like peasant slaves?! She stopped her train of thought just in time to hear Folcmund's angry retort. And at seeing him walking towards them Alcaira quickly went back to preparing the meal...

[ 05-05-2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Rúnya Naira ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

Éolana listened to to Folcmund's words in silence, only the drain of color from her face showing her horror. It was not true. It couldn't be.

Edoras taken...? No! It cannot be...father would never let such a thing happen. Yet if what this man says is true...

She shook her head against the horrible conclusions, the visions of her father fighting in vain against hoardes of the enemy beseiging the Hornburg...and her brothers, fighting by his side...

And suddenly she didn't feel so strong.

She let out a whimper and followed after Folcmund, the arrogance gone from her eyes, replaced with a terrible fear, her eyes barely fighting back the tears.

"Lord Folcmund, Lord Folcmund, please...do you have word of my father, or of my brothers? Please...please, you must understand...I did not know any of this was happening..."

She was stopped by his angry look, however, and turned away, the tears falling freely now down her lovely cheeks. She felt so small, suddenly; so insignificant, so utterly and completely alone. She looked around her through her tear-stained vision, even the wide expanses of the plain seeming to trap her as her entire world fell in around her.

Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
After finishing the preparations for breakfast Alcaira started towards the nearby river, assuming Hrívë was getting a morning drink. But then softly stopped when she spotted Éolana quickly walking after the still angry Folcmund. She looked like she was about to cry and it seemed that she was pleading with him about something. Then Éolana stopped and Alcaira could plainly see the tears falling down the strangers face. I wonder what's happened? She asked herself as she swiftly ran forward, hoping to be of some help...

[ 05-05-2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Rúnya Naira ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

Éolana heard footsteps behind her and stiffened. The only presence she would tolerate in the state she was in right now would be Folcmund's, for the man might have word of her family. It was not, however, Folcmund who approached her, and she stood quickly as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

"What do you want?" She asked harshly, willing the girl to leave her alone.

Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

Amananna cringed as Alcaira approached Éolana. She felt for the woman, but she didn't think that going after her right now was a good idea. She looked at the lady for a moment, then turned away again. What terrible news for her just to have recieved... That cannot be easy. Amananna sat, lost in thought for a moment, with a distant look on her face. Shaking herself from this reverie, she called out to all the others. "Breakfast is ready, if you're hungry."

There was little hope that some food would ease the tensions of the morning, but at least if they were eating it would be a little less awkward. And they would need nourishment if they intended to go very far this day. Amananna would wait for others to take their share before she would have anything herself. Instead, she had another sip of water.

Rifling through her bag, she dug out the comb from the day before and pulled it through her tresses before securing them back from her face. She would have been grateful for some water with which to wash, but she decided that for now it was best to save what she had for drinking. Besides that, she had no desire to go wandering off on her own, so she would have to wait.

[ 05-05-2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Andreth ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel understood more now. She had known many royals in Narnia. Even there you sometimes met those who thought that their people existed to serve them, rather than realising that it was their duty to serve their people.

But Folcmund's words hit home with the young princess. If she really had had no idea that such things might happen, it must have been a terrible shock for her - and it showed.

Alcaira must have noticed Éolana's distress as well. As she ran forward, a concerned look on her face, Barufiniel joined her. "Always a friendly soul," she thought. "She was ready to forgive Folcmund with no reproach, and she seems to be doing the same now."

Éolana seemed not to appreciate the concern, though. Barufiniel smiled at her and pretended not to see her wipe her tears. "We only want to offer such assistance as we can, Your Highness," she said. "And do not scorn it. The situation isn't normal for any of us. I'm not really asking for gratitude - but a little bit would not hurt.

"You may only now have realised what the war may mean to you. Perhaps you ought to have realised earlier that it might happen, but be that as it may.
Some of my other companions here have already been hit hard by the war. Two of them at least have had their villages destroyed. I haven't asked them about their families." She envisaged the burning houses and gave a shudder.

"We're not in a position to be your ladies in waiting. You'll have to learn to live without those for a while. But I repeat Folcmund's offer as an offer from me as well. If you are willing to be just one of our company, you are welcome to join us for breakfast, and then to travel with us. Over breakfast you can ask Folcmund again for information. If he has any to give, I'm sure he will."

She turned her head to hear Amananna announce that breakfast was ready.
She turned back to Éolana.
"If you are willing to share such food as we have," she said, "just come over this way."

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help