Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  14  15  16 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell (Page 3)
Author Topic: Road to Rivendell
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel heard the noise of hooves behind her.
She hardly dared to turn around to look.
Could it be - ?
It was!!

"Aran! You've come back!"
She ran towards the horse, seeing his trot turning into a gallop as he came to meet her. Bending his head down towards her, he let her caress him. She hid her face in his mane. It could - just - be used for wiping her eyes as well.

"I was so afraid you had left me," she whispered. "But now you will never leave me again, will you?"

Aran shook his mane.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aran noticed how happy she was to see him return. He tried to comfort her as best he could, and let her know that he would not leave her. When she buried her head in his fur he turned his head and played with her hair, licking it and pulling it gently. He did not know what it was about this girl that attracted him to her, but he was now glad to have her company. Aran now knew the feeling of freedom, but he felt that somehow he had grown to love the companionship with people enough to turn from his instinct to run.
From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amananna shook her head slightly. "I have no family, nor any friends outside my own town. And who knows where the flames have scattered them. I'll find somewhere, though, where I can be of use. I doubt there are many in need of a good dressmaker these days..." She laughed nervously as the reality of her situation set in. There really was nowhere she could go that would be safe. A stranger, even with news of what had happened to her town, would not be welcome in most places. People had little enough for themselves, let alone things with which they could afford to give others. It wasn't that she didn't think she would be able to find help, it was just that she would feel so much guilt in requesting it. After all, who was she to thus burden another?

She drew a long breath and smiled, mentally taking an inventory of what she had been able to save from her burning home. If she could find those willing to sell her food along her path, perhaps she could find somewhere to go. A seamstress was of little use in a war. And in that moment, she envied this man who was trained to fight. At least if she had that, she would not be without purpose.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Folcmund stared thoughtfully at Amananna for a moment, his jaw muscles working as he considered what he should do. He did not expect to be taking on a companion, especially not someone who hadn't been trained to fight like he had been, but Folcmund couldn't just leave this young woman alone and at risk. It was his duty to defend the people of the Mark no matter what, and he would do it.

He sighed and pulled his helmet back on, then climbed onto Grimfola. Looking down at her through his helmet, he gave her a slight nod. "You should come with me. The Riddermark is not safe to travel through alone these days, and hopefully we can find someplace safer for you to go than off on your own," he said. "But until then I will keep you safe."

[ 04-18-2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rómenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2589

posted      Profile for Rómenya   Author's Homepage   Email Rómenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Running was something that Raedyn had had a very hard time learning how to do. It had taken days of teaching and trust on both Rabô and her part. Still, it felt good to have a breeze in her face.

Rabô stopped running and watched her catch up. She moved her hand in front of her, but felt nothing.

"What is it, boy? Why did you stop?" Raedyn knelt and leaned her forhead against the wolf's scraggly coat. She suddenly realized how tired she was. Her stomach was tight with hunger and water...that's what she needed most right now. She groaned. Rabô turned his big head and licked her arm, consolingly.

Raedyn felt the absence of the sun's warmth and realized why the wolf had stopped. She rolled over and landed on the ground with a soft thud. She lay still and feel asleep almost immediately. Rabô sniffed around and then flopped down beside her. Sleep...

From: In the shadow of the day | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amananna nodded slowly. "I do not wish to be a burden. I'm sure we'll find a town that I can stay at soon. I know you have better things to do than watch out for me, your duties to the Mark are so important right now. But I do appreciate not having to go off on my own just yet." And with that, she swung herself easily up onto Ëarsúl's back, urging the horse forward.

The sky's light was growing dim, and she grew increasingly wary. She was well rested and could easily ride through the night if that was what Folcmund intended. Her statement that she didn't wish to be a burden had been sincere. The air was calm and silent. That, combined with the Rider at her side put her nerves at ease and let her think about what she was going to do.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel finally turned to the others.
"Well, he's back," she said, noticing the understanding smiles they gave her.

"You are right, though, Alcaira. We should get some sleep now."

Alcaira had already got out her bedding. The others also did their preparations for the night, easily enough in the moonlight.

Soon the three women were fast asleep.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They rode in silence for a time, and Folcmund began to wonder whether or not this was a good idea. Certainly it was his duty to make sure Amananna was kept safe, but was it not also his duty to try to force the invading Dunlendings out of the Mark? Every night since the battle at the Fords of Isen he had attacked Dunlendish camps in the middle of the night, catching the Orc-allies by surprise every time and causing far more damage than one man should have been able to cause. But how could he continue his raids now? He glanced over at Amananna, barely able to make her out in the darkness, and frowned. Like it or not, Folcmund, she is your charge. Until you have led her to safety, the war will simply have to wait.

Troubled by that thought, he spurred Grimfola to a faster pace, ignoring the stallion's noises of disapproval. When they reached the Entwash, Folcmund slowly led Amananna and her horse across one of the river's shallower crossings, and only allowed a few moments' rest to let their mounts catch their breath before turning south. Folcmund wasn't sure exactly how long he and Amananna had been riding, but the sunrise couldn't have been any more than two hours away. Glancing back at Amananna, he could see that she could probably continue to ride, but he thought that maybe it would be better if they stopped anyway. I'm still not entirely sure where to take her, he thought. And there haven't been any enemies in this area for days. And as much as he didn't want to admit it, Folcmund himself was tired; he could barely remember the last time he'd slept, and even then it had only been for a few hours. Perhaps a break would do them both good...

Suddenly, Grimfola came to a stop, nickering softly as he peered into the night. Folcmund followed his horse's gaze, his eyes narrowing as they fell upon a small encampment. When Amananna rode up to find out what it was, he turned towards her and spoke quickly: "Stay here." With that, he drew his sword and urged Grimfola forward, not hearing Amananna as she tried to say something to him. Before any watchmen could sound an alarm, the sable stallion charged into the middle of the camp, rearing back as he let out a neighing challenge as Folcmund raised his father's sword, the blade gleaming in the moonlight. "Stand, trespassers, and give me your names so that I may know those who dare to set foot on the King's land without his leave!" the Rider commanded, his sharp voice ringing through the calm night air.

When he got a clear look at who the 'enemy' was, however, Folcmund's sword-arm lowered and he blinked, suddenly very confused and chagrined. "Oh..." was all he could utter, and Folcmund was glad that nobody could see his face reddening in the darkness.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel sat up suddenly. A loud neighing had woken her up.
This was no friendly sound from Aran.

She clasped her hands to her mouth to choke down her scream as she saw the warrior on the black horse towering over her, his sword ready for attack. He was shouting something at her, but she wasn't catching his words.

These are times of war, she thought. We should have been more cautious.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
posted      Profile for Rúnya Núrimehtari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At hearing a loud noise Alcaira suddenly awoke. What is going on? Quickly discarding her bed she hurried to Barufiniel's side and peered at the unknown figure before them. At hearing his loud and somewhat angry remarks Alcaira readied her sword, hoping she wouldn't have to use it.

Then it seemed he had just noticed who he was talking to, and even in the darkness she could see a shocked expression come over his rugged features.

[ 04-20-2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Rúnya Naira ]

From: Spruce Grove | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aran had wandered off to a place away from the firelight to sleep. He woke when he heard the noise of another horse and voices. He saw the rider gallop straight to Barufiniel. He could not lose another person who had become his friend.

Aran Surëo trotted forward quickly and quietly outside the light of the dying fire, unnoticed. Then he leapt forwrd into the light, and screamed a war cry to the rider and the other horse. But he noticed the rider had stopped. He also halted and watched the intruders actions, waiting to see if he was here to fight, or if he was a friend.

[ 04-20-2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Roccowen Eilonwyiel ]

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing all the action, Amananna started forward, but stopped, remembering Folcmund's words to her. Plus, it seemed that there were some strange reactions among those up ahead. All of them started, but now they were all standing there looking at each other as though they were seeing someone they hadn't expected. She watched a while longer to see if anything else would happen, but there seemed to be a pause.

Unable to contain her curiosity any longer, Amananna urged Ëarsúl forward at a slow pace. She strained to see if she could better determine what was going on, but it was simply too dark. In the end, she decided it best to stop with some distance between her and the group, hoping that she would be able to hear what was going on without them paying her too much heed. Of course, she didn't really take into account that Ëarsúl's color worked against her ability to not be seen, even in dark such as this. She merely wished to know who these people were that they had come across in the night.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Grimfola wheeled about quickly, looking for any other enemies, but Folcmund quickly calmed the horse as he sheathed his sword. He dropped to the ground and murmured a few words quietly into Grimfola's ear, then turned and faced the people he had nearly attacked. "Please, forgive me," he begged. "I did not realize...I thought that you were Dunlendings, not..." He couldn't finish his sentence as he lowered his head in shame and anger, shaking it slowly as he silently reprimanded himself. Just hours ago he had reminded himself to not run off and attack every foreign campsite now that he had Amananna to watch over, and now here he was doing it anyway; and to make it worse, he had tried to attack the wrong people!

He looked back up at them once again, and nodded in greeting. "My name is Folcmund," he said as he turned to face the strangers once more. "I am a soldier of the Mark. My companion," he added, looking back towards Amananna, "is called Amananna. Her village in the east was destroyed by Orcs, and I had been accompanying her to keep her safe.

"Again, I am truly, truly sorry. These are perilous times. Orcs and Dunlendings prowl the King's lands, and I assumed that you were with them."

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As Alcaira came over to her, and Aran screamed in challenge to the unknown horse, Barufiniel leapt to her feet. They ought to meet the danger together.

She saw the rider lower his sword and then sheathe it. He dropped down from his horse to face them. Amazed, she heard him apologise.

"We are indeed no Dunlendings," she answered in a mixture of relief and indignation. "Nor are we friends of either Dunlendings or Orcs.
I am Barufiniel, daughter of Rameldir," she added, bowing in greeting.
"If you are a soldier of the Mark, then my companions here are women of your own people. Elyaliel over there comes from a village in the south, another village destroyed by Orcs. And this is Alcaira, daughter of Noldorion, from a village nearby. She is also a woman of Rohan.
For myself, I am Elfkind, but my parents were loyal friends of your people and of your King."

[ 04-21-2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Barufiniel ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
posted      Profile for Rúnya Núrimehtari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alcaira covered a grin as she watched the stranger struggle to speak. After hearing Barufiniel's introduction she swiftly stepped forward. "Greetings Folcmund and Amananna." She replied. "It's nice to meet you both, even if you did mistake us for Orc's." Alcaira turned to give Folcmund a soft reassuring smile. "These are times of great war and peril, and you were but protecting your home. Your of course forgiven, we should have been more cautious in choosing where to set our camp." She replied then continued on. "Along with our faithful horses, we are to start our long journey at first light, and were just resting here until morn. Our destination is Rivendell. Have you ever heard of this place?"
From: Spruce Grove | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Folcmund's eyebrows raised. "Rivendell?" he asked. "I have only heard tales; legends and stories. They say that a great Elf-lord dwells there, along with the remnants of his kin after the great wars with the Dark Ones in the ancient days. If Rivendell does exist, it is very far north of Rohan, hidden somewhere near the Misty Mountains. I am afraid that's all I know about it..."

He turned to face Amananna once again and waved her over. "It's alright," he called softly, trying not to be too loud as he was still wary of any real enemies that may have been nearby. "I made a mistake; these people are friends."

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amananna swung down from Ëarsúl and approached the group, having heard Folcmund's words. Glad to be greeting friends rather than concerning herself with battle, she smiled warmly. "Greetings," she spoke in a kind but quiet tone, "I most certainly did not expect to find travellers about in such times, especially outside of any town." She paused, examining the group, from habit.

"Where was it you said that you were going? I'm sorry, I did not hear before." Perhaps they, too, were looking for a town in which to reside or at least stay a while. That would be an interesting turn of fortune, indeed.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
posted      Profile for Rúnya Núrimehtari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alcaira thanked Folcmund for the bit of information he gave her, though information she had heard many times. So many believed Rivendell was just what Folcmund had stated. A legend, myth or just make believe stories parents told their little children. But this was not so, Rivendell did exist.

Alcaira stopped her trail of thought at hearing Amananna's question and quickly answered. "Rivendell. Many have not heard of this beautiful place, and the few that have aren't quite sure of its exact location. Does this place sound familiar to you?" She swiftly asked, hoping to get but a bit more information of this wondrous home she had yet to know.

[ 04-22-2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Rúnya Naira ]

From: Spruce Grove | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The name Rivendell triggered some vague memory for Amananna. She didn't know for certain, but it sounded like something her mother's friends had told her about once. There wasn't anything certain she could recall though. Coming out of her deep thought, she looked to Alcaira again. "I have heard of this place, but I know nothing of it." Seeing the look on Alcaira's face as she reported this she added in a soft voice, "I'm sorry."

So they are going to this Rivendell place, not just some town in Rohan... I wonder where it is, what it is. And I wonder what they are going there for... For a while, she allowed herself to try to recollect what it was that her mother's friends had told her, but it had been when she was very young, indeed. Perhaps it will come to me in time.

[ 04-23-2004, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Andreth ]

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel laughed. "It seems we know more about Rivendell than you do, then! None of us have ever been there, but we have both been told a lot about it. And Alcaira has even been told the way! My parents used to live in Rivendell, before I was born, and I believe there will still be some of my kin there. Now that I'm on my own, that's where I want to go. It is indeed very far north of Rohan."
She sighed at the thought of the long and perilous journey.

"But what about you? Must you ride on during the night, or could you rest with us until morning?"
She saw Folcmund and Amananna look at each other as if to consider the possibility, and carried on.
"Perhaps we could travel together for as long as we're going in the same direction? There's safety in numbers, they say. And a Rider of the Mark would indeed be an asset to our company." She looked admiringly at the tall man.
"You could rest until morning, if you like, and perhaps it would be wise if Alcaira or I kept watch. We didn't think about that last night." She blushed.
"Then we could decide in the morning what to do next."

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
posted      Profile for Eöl i Moriquendë   Author's Homepage   Email Eöl i Moriquendë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ilandra spun around on her heel to face the doorway, her hand on the hilt of the shattered blade. Nobody was at the doorway. Did I just imagine it? Her eyes scanned the room for any signs of footprints or hidden shadows. Ilandra slowly stole her hand away from the hilt of the blade.
'Are you sure that is of the greatest ideas?'
Ilandra turned to where the voice echoed from. All that was in this room was carved animals, birds and lizards. One of the birds had some strange look about it, as if it were watching her. Ilandra ignored it completly and slowly paced the floor back and forth looking for hidden supplies.
'Idiot.'
She turned to face the bird who had moved from its spot.

[ 04-25-2004, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Eöl ]

From: Havens of Pelagir | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amananna smiled when Barufiniel suggested that they rest. She had been getting quite tired, but didn't want to admit it to Folcmund, as she didn't want to slow him down. It was refreshing to meet other travellers, especially those who were willing to have more in their party.

And the more she thought about it, the more the idea that she knew something about the place they were going became certain to her. It just sounded too familiar to be something that she hadn't heard of before. Perhaps if she could remember what it was she had been told, then she would be able to help them along their way. If she could hear what it was they knew, she felt as though it would make it easier to recall.

"Indeed, it would be nice to rest. It has been quite the day." She paused, waiting to see what Folcmund would say, though he certainly didn't need her around if he wished to continue on. Having ridden with him through most of the night, though, she was curious.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
posted      Profile for Eöl i Moriquendë   Author's Homepage   Email Eöl i Moriquendë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The bird was frozen as a statue. Nothing moved.
At one point, Ilandra took a step in advance to catch a better glance at the bird. It looked like an exact replica of a sparrow. She took two more steps until she reached the shelf where the carvings were placed. The was a letter at the feet of the sparrow. How did that get there? It wasn't there...before... Ilandra picked up the letter.
'You don't want to be doing that!'
Ilandra lowered her head to read the parchment in her hand. Some of the letters were blurred out as if whoever wrote it was in a hurry.
Lets see here...'Those who find' some blurred words... 'the birds the lizards the' a whole page is blurred from here on... 'One will speak, the others not...' More letters... 'That one will be true for...' 'The bound will stay until death comes to either...' 'The one you seek...'
And that was it.
'Ohhhh....'
Ilandra turned. She faced the sparrow.
'Not me, not me, not me....'
Ilandra dropped her face to the letter. There was one more sentence at the end. 'You will be picked by personality.'
'Can you hear me?'
'CAN YOU HEAR ME?'
'YES!' She yelled it out twice.
'Oh great, I had to be stuck with the moron.'
'Excuse me?'
'You heard me!'
'Watch it!'
'You watch it!'
Ilandra almost made out to crushing the sparrow in her fist. Instead, she lifted it up lighlty. There was a silver chain where the sparrow was. Ilandra picked it with her left hand.
'Oh god, please!'
Ilandra noted the small collar around the sparrow's neck. 'Am I...dreamining?'
'You only wish.'
'So...are you going to explain to me what is going on? Or am I suppose to find out on my own?'
'Here comes the questions...Alright. The moment you entered in this room, you were chosen instantly to take one of us-'
'Us?'
'Yes! The other carvings. Now...to take one of us with you to your little shiny pretty home. Ok?'
Ilandra opened her mouth to speak.
'Lets just. Go.'
'I still don't understan-'
'We can talk about it later! Lets just...get out of this hell hole.'
Ilandra placed the chain at the sparrow's neck, it clipped on. She was able to use it as a necklace around her neck while the bird was placed a little lower under her chin. Ilandra took what she had inside the rag and left the structure.

She re-reached the East gate and saw Ídáe. Ilandra ran up to her horse.
'What a rag.'
'Shut up.' she heard herself saying. Alright...this better work...
'What better work?'
Ilandra was stunned for a moment. 'You can, listen to my thoughts...?'
'Its alot better then talking aloud with the air you dimwit.'

Ilandra walked into the house that was near the gate again. She used the rope to tie alot of knots around the large board she found some time ago. The other end of the rope was around Ídáe. Ilandra sprinted towards Ídáe. She gripped the rope and whispered into her horse's ear. 'Pull.'
The board came out through the window. Both Ilandra and her horse dragged the board to the East gate. The rubble was not stacked very high, but climbing it would mean lots of burn marks. Ilandra shoved the long board up the rubble. She used her foot to make it slant and still reach the top of the rubble. Ilandra un-knotted the rope and led Ídáe to the top of the board and rubble, the other side had less embers and she walked across it. After Ídáe trotted across the embers, Ilandra mounted her instantly and they sped off a little into the East, but then turned West.

[ 04-27-2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Eöl ]

From: Havens of Pelagir | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Folcmund considered Barufiniel's proposition carefully. There probably was nothing to worry about, but he hadn't survived these last few days alone by not being at least a little cautious. He glanced over at Amananna as she spoke, and in her eyes he could see that she trusted these strangers. Folcmund faced Barufiniel and gave her a sharp, short nod.

"Very well," he said. "We will rest with you and your friends tonight. And I don't think there will be too much harm in traveling together, at least for a little while. The Dunlendings seem to have already passed through this area." As he started to unsaddle Grimfola, he looked over at Barufiniel again and gave her a small smile. "Thank you for your generosity. Such a thing is rare in the Mark--in any land--these days..."

As everyone else went about their own business, Folcmund moved closer to Grimfola. "Take some rest, old friend," he whispered into the stallion's ear. "You've earned it." With that, he took his helmet off, brushing his long blonde hair out of his face as he sat down and rested his hand on the pommel of his sword, intending to keep watch for at least part of the night. Suddenly he let out a long, loud yawn that he failed to control, and he looked over at the others, shame and embarassment on his face. Off to the side, Grimfola nickered in amusement, and Folcmund glared at the horse, a betrayed look on his face.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amananna smiled rather apologetically at Folcmund. "You must have been riding all day, and now I've kept you riding all night as well. It's a good thing we're stopping for a time." She suspected that he wouldn't have said anything if they hadn't come upon this group and she laughed a bit to herself. She had been so worried about slowing Folcmund down that it never occured to her he might want to rest.

Kneeling beside her pack, she took a quick drink of water and offered some to the others. Then she poured some on a small bit of cloth and washed her face. It felt good to be free of the ash. She removed the comb that held her hair back, releaving some tension, knowing that sleep would be quite welcome.

"A little rest would be appreciated, but I need not much, so I can keep watch for a time if need be." Since they had stopped riding, she had been getting progressively more tired and would have been perfectly happy, at this point, to simply go straight to sleep. But she was aware of the hazards and a breeze reminded her that while it seemed they were alone, they were also out in the open.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  14  15  16 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.6.1