Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell (Page 1)
Author Topic: Road to Rivendell
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Road to Rivendell

"When you walk through that portal and into the other world," the Voice said, "it will close behind you, never to be opened again.
You were born here, but you don't belong here, you know. You need to get to know your own world now.
Today it was time for your parents to go to Valinor. Today it is time for you to go to Middle-earth."

Barufiniel looked back at the two silver birches she had just passed between. She hoped to catch a last glimpse of the glorious summer morning she had left behind, but it was gone. The leaves of the trees on the small hill where she was standing were golden with the colours of autumn. Vast plains of grass stretched out in front of her.

Rohan.
These plains would be Rohan.
Her parents had told her about the land they had left when they accidentally stumbled through the portal, five hundred years ago.
She was not born then. She was born in - that other place, as she would have to call it from now on. Narnia. That other place.

Now, Middle-earth was home. Even though it was only a name to her.
A name, and all the stories her parents had told her.
Of how her father had escaped from the fall of Gondolin as a young boy, after both of his parents had been killed by the enemy. Of how her mother had been brought up in the golden forests of Lórinand. - They had all loved the forests of Narnia. That other place.

The Voice had told her that she would pass through the same portal her parents had come by. She would come back to the same point they had left from.
What is more, she would come back to the same point in time they had left from. The five hundred years in Narnia didn't count in Middle-earth. Here, it was still the year 2758 of the Third Age.
War was brewing in Rohan, and her parents had advised her to try to make her way back to Rivendell, where they had lived earlier.

But how would she be able to find Rivendell?

[ 03-30-2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Barufiniel ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
posted      Profile for Rúnya Núrimehtari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alcaira knew she should be heading back now but felt that it would be alright if she was a few minutes late. "Mother won't mind." She told herself as she urged Hrívë forward. Turning she looked over the beautiful plains of Rohan. This was her home, Alcaira knew this as everyone did, but someday she needed to journey out. To travel and see all that there was to see, but the one place she wanted to journey to more then anything, was Rivendell.

When she was told of her real family and where she truly came from, Alcaira yearned to learn more. To see the home she never knew and to learn who she truly was.

Alcaira turned Hrívë around and they slowly headed home. As her eyes roamed over the wondrous green plains she spotted a figure in the distance. Wondering if any help was needed she turned Hrívë and they swiftly galloped towards the unknown figure. Stopping not too far from the stranger, Alcaira dismounted Hrívë and walked over. "Hail and welcome to Rohan stranger!" "Can I help you?"

From: Spruce Grove | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel looked across the plains. Maybe she would be able to work out which direction would be the North. Only it was difficult when she wasn't exactly sure what time of day it was.

Her eyes caught something in the distance. A rider! Hopefully here was someone she could ask!

She started walking towards the rider. It soon became obvious that the rider had spotted her and came towards her as well. It made her slightly nervous. In times of war ...

But it was no hardened warrior that approached her. When the rider came close, she could see that it was a young woman. A young woman who offered her help. Barufiniel smiled happily.

"I am indeed a stranger," she said. "So thank you for your kind welcome! But as it is, I'm seeking my way out of this country at the moment. I'm heading for the North, for a place that may not be very well known in these parts of the world. And I don't exactly know how to find my way there.
I wonder, kind lady, have you ever heard of a place called Rivendell?"

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aduyulda
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3262

posted      Profile for Aduyulda   Email Aduyulda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It had been many days since Elyaliel had left Minas Tirith- she had already lost count. The village her friend Eoli lived in - the village that was most threatened by war - stood at the edge of Rohan- only a few more miles. She spurred her horse on.

Night came, and she rested briefly before continuing. As the black sky slowly brightened and the stars disappeared, she finally saw the path leading through a clump of woods. The village would be visible as soon as she cleared the woods. Elyaliel quickened the pace of the horse. Branches and leaves scratched at her, but she ignored them and rode on.

The enemy would be coming from another way. Elyaliel hoped she was not too late.

The village was in sight now. Elyaliel sped on until she reached the gates. Fortunately, they were already open, and she rode inside. Most of the village was built onto a hill- the streets were all quite steep. Elyaliel slowed the horse and scanned the street for Eoli's house. There it was- at the west end of the street.

Eoli was already awake, sweeping the steps of her house. Elyaliel leaped off her horse as Eoli looked up, surprised.

"Elyaliel, why are you here?"

"Eoli, there's no time. You must get your things together and go."

"What? Why?"

"This village is about to be attacked. They'll be here in less than an hour. Meet me at the east gate in thirty minutes. I'll warn the other villagers."

Eoli's face registered alarm, and she stood, frozen for a moment. Then she turned and ran into the house, dropping her broom. Without wasting a moment, Elyaliel mounted her horse again and rode to the town center.

The village was aroused quickly enough, and most were ready to depart- but Eoli was not there. "What is taking her so long?" Elyaliel finally growled in frustration and was about to set off for her house when she saw a bright light leap up near the west gate. Fire. Then she heard cries- not the cries of men, but the foul cries of
orcs. "They're here!" someone shrieked.

Elyaliel realized in shock that Eoli lived near the west end of the town. She started for the house. Then she saw one of the houses collapse in flames- a house with a red door. Eoli's house.

The next thing she saw was a horde of orcs streaming in from the West gate.

-----------------------

Elyaliel blindly spurred her horse on. It had been nearly a day since she escaped the village, along with a few survivors. She had tried to fight, but it was useless- in a few minutes, every house was on fire and nearly every inhabitant killed.

The tears still spilled freely. Finally, she dismounted to rest. She did not know where she was anymore, nor how to get back to Minas Tirith.

Then, she saw two figures standing in front of her.

From: Rivendell | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rómenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2589

posted      Profile for Rómenya   Author's Homepage   Email Rómenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The day grew cold and Raedyn knew that the sun had set. She buried her fingers into Rabô's warm fur and delicately traced one of his numerous scars.

Well, I guess we had better find a place to stay for the night...

As if he could sense it, Rabô turned and nudged her to the right. Raedyn reached out her hand, walked foward a few steps, and felt a large boulder. She felt around the rock and found that it overhung some mossy ground.

Raedyn slid down and stretched out on the mossy bed. Rabô curled up beside her, keeping her warm. Raedyn closed her sight-less eyes and they both fell asleep.

-----------------------

The next morning, Raedyn reached out, expecting to feel coarse fur. But she found nothing. She carefully stood, brushing the grass from her dark green dress, and whistled. Still nothing.

Rabô was gone.

From: In the shadow of the day | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elyrka Redsmith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3054

posted      Profile for Elyrka Redsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Elyrka Redsmith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There was a new scent, in the air, and Rabô was determined to find out what it was. His strong legs padded forwards, sensitive paws searching for the soft grasses, on which a painful cut rested upon.

What is it... Where does it come from...

The wolf had never smelt anything like this, never. It was... Filled with a life, an essence, that was new, strange and delicious, but new, and Rabô had learned from experience that you needed you had to be careful of the new, careful of that which you had never seen, or smelt.

He turned his shaggy head back, for a moment, to make sure the beautiful Raedyn was still where he had left her. He would be back, before long, and he knew her ways well. She'd search out something to eat next, and she hardly needed him to tell her what was poisoned and what was not. Raedyn was skilled, the dog knew that, he knew she was skilled beyond the box that was his mind. She would be fine.

From: On the wind in the wires. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
posted      Profile for Eöl i Moriquendë   Author's Homepage   Email Eöl i Moriquendë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The sun hung like a eye, letting its rays of light dance upon the water. Ilandra smiled and closed her eyes settling back into the shade. Suddenly, smoke begain to arise from the village where she had left but just a couple of minutes ago. A bell was ringing.
'Orcs...' she whispered.

Ilandra whistled for Ídáe, her horse. Ídáe came trotting up from the side of the River bank. Obvisouly weary from their last path they took. Ilandra could see that Ídáe was tired, but she knew this was not the time. Ilandra mounted Ídáe and spurred her to the burning village.

Ilandra nocked an arrow to her bow to fire at the two orcs hacking away at a motionless corpse. The first arrow plunged deep into the chest of the first orc. The second arrow broke upon the other orc's armor as if it were a rock being thrown at a wall.

Villagers were fleeing from the scene of battle, and Ilandra was horribly out numbered. She fired a third arrow at the same orc. The arrow pierced the orc's eye. 'It is pointless to keep fighting here...'
Ilandra turned Ídáe around, but the orcs had created a circle around her. 'Oh Mother...' she whispered.

From: Havens of Pelagir | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aran Súrëo raised his head from grazing and stared across the plains. He saw a woman standing looking vaguely off into the distance. Several minutes later a rider galloped up to her and dismounted. He began to walk in their direction cautiously. He wanted to conquer his curiosity and not get caught and tamed. He approached to within one hundred feet of them without being noticed. There he stopped and resumed gazing, keeping a watchful eye on the two women and listening to their conversation. When he heard Rivendell, he threw his head up and pricked his ears. Rivendell he thought There are elves there. Elves who may have known my former master. Perhaps other horses there may have known of him. He shook his head sadly at the thought of his friend. Remembering the kindness of elves, he trotted up to the girl without a horse and nickered softly. He could go to Rivendell, it could help him overcome his grief and sense of being lost. Perhaps.
From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Orcs eyed the Elf and her mount menacingly as they closed around them. "Look what we have here, boys! A real, live pointy-ear, come to help protect the horse-lovers," one of them growled, raising his wickedly curved sword. He was quickly answered with an arrow in his throat, and as the Elf reached for another arrow the remaining Orcs closed in.

Another, who seemed like the leader, growled. "Killin' these strawheads ain't as sporting as I was hopin' it'd be," he admitted. "But you'll certainly make up for it," the Orc added, evil glaring in his single eye. With a foul smile, he raised his sword, but what came from his mouth rather than the order to attack was a spray of blood and a sharp gasp. The Orc dropped his sword and looked down at his chest, where he saw a Rohirric spearhead protruding from him. As his comrades stared in surprise, the Orc collapsed.

Suddenly, death was upon them. A lone rider on a sable stallion appeared from out of nowhere, his sword flashing in the sun as he struck the confused Orcs. "For the Mark!" the man screamed as he struck them down, and his horse kicked out at them and bit the ones who came too close. Neither horse nor rider noticed as Elvish arrows aided them, killing those Orcs who sought to attack the pair from behind. Finally the surviving Orcs could not withstand anymore and broke, retreating towards their fellows farther in the village, seeking the safety numbers provided them.

The rider chased the Orcs for a moment, his battle cry ringing after them, and then he lowered his sword and turned his horse, riding back to the body of the first Orc he killed. His gauntleted fist gripped the haft of his spear, and with a jerk, it came free of the Orc's body. He wiped the blood from the spearhead as best as he could, and then his glance met the Elf-woman's, his ice-blue eyes wide with the thrill of battle. "You should be more careful, Elf," he called above the roar of the burning village. "It is not safe to be traveling in the Riddermark these days!"

[ 03-30-2004, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She had been working when the orcs came. It wasn't that she expected calm in such times, but rather that she had to take whatever time she could in order to get her tasks accomplished. She instantly regretted her decision as she watched a month's worth of work go up in flames. Strange that she cared more for that than her house which burned right along with it. As she ran from the building, which filled quickly with smoke, she managed to cram a few things, tools and clothes, into one of her riding bags and grab her sword. It was a good thing, too. She would have to fight her way to the stables, and she had no way of knowing whether Ëarsúl would be alive or about when she got there. At this thought, Amananna shed a tear.

Foolish... why hadn't I been prepared sooner. I should always be prepared in such times, but I let myself get lulled by the calm and now it will cost me dearly. She hoped that everyone would be alright, but knew that many lives would be lost. As she rounded a corner, she saw a man drive a spear straight through one orc and then hew down several others with a sword. She was grateful for all who fought for their safety, and now felt the sting of neglect for not doing more on her own part. Amananna knew that she was not a trained fighter, but still, as things were she began to feel that she ought to be spending more time with her sword and less with her piles of fabric. She brushed back the hair that now clung to her face and squinted down the smoke filled row, hoping to catch a glimpse of Ëarsúl, yet she saw nothing to ease her concerns.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
posted      Profile for Rúnya Núrimehtari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rivendell, the one place Alcaira had just had on her mind and now this kind stranger has asked her about it. She smiled excitedly. "Well yes, though I've never been able to journey there I'm afraid." Alcaira answered and then went on. "I did know of someone who had been on many wondrous travels, and he told me many times of the way to Rivendell."
As a child Alcaira remembered begging her uncle to tell her all he knew of the home she yearned to see. He took her through every path, and every obstacle he had faced on the exciting road to Rivendell. Alcaira's throat tightened as she remembered of the great stories he told her. Remembering where she was Alcaira smiled at the patient stranger and excitedly answered. "I have knowledge of this road you wish to take, I can show you the way." Noticing that she had not yet introduced herself, Alcaira quickly apologized. "I'm so sorry, please forgive me, my name is Alcaira Naira. It's so nice to meet you...?"

Alcaira noticed something coming towards them, it looked to be a rider. As they came forward Alcaira turned to greet them and her golden eye's shone with wonder as a beautiful lone stallion came trotting not too far behind...

[ 04-03-2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Rúnya Naira ]

From: Spruce Grove | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aduyulda
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3262

posted      Profile for Aduyulda   Email Aduyulda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of the two women looked at her. "Are you traveling for Rivendell as well?"

Elyaliel shook her head. "I have no idea where I am going to go. My village has been destroyed... Am I still in the plains of Rohan?"

The woman nodded. "We are going to Rivendell- you may join us if you like."

Elyaliel agreed uncertainly. "I have nowhere else to go, anyway."

From: Rivendell | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Barufiniel beamed with joy at Alcaira's words. "I was not sure you would have heard of Rivendell, and you even know the way to get there! But I'm forgetting my manners as well. I am Barufiniel, daughter of Rameldir, and I am pleased to meet you too, Alcaira. Nice name, by the way - reminds me of something ... can't think of what. Oh well, it will come back." She smiled to Alcaira.

A rider had been approaching them - somewhat haphazardly, as if it didn't look very closely to where it was going. Then the horse stopped, and a woman dismounted. As she came closer, she seemed to listen eagerly. Had she heard them talk about Rivendell? Was there yet another who would join them? She had to ask.

When she heard that the other was a refugee from the war and had nowhere to go, the least she could do was to offer her her company. The other accepted, seeming a bit uncertain. Well, travelling as a threesome would be a lot better than going alone, especially if the enemy was close. The others seemed to be armed, which could be needed. They also had horses ... she thought of her own beautiful horse, which she had given away before she left - that other place.

As if out of her memory, she heard a soft whinnying behind her. Alcaira also had turned as if she had spotted something.

At first she thought that it was her own horse who had come back. Then she noticed little differences - but what really got her, was the eagerness this horse approached her with. "Look at this!" she said to the others. "He seems to want to join us too! No, my friend, your owner may be looking for you." She caressed the animal lovingly. Doing so, she noticed something on his neck underneath his mane. "Now, what is this? Have you been hurt?"

She looked closer at the marks she had felt. "No, these are not scars! They are Tengwar writing! It says, Aran Súrëo. Could it be his owner's name? Or is it your own name, my equine friend?" The neighing she was met with, convinced her not only that Aran was indeed the horse's name, but also that the horse had understood all that she had said. "I'll take you along with us on our journey, then," she told it. "If we find your owner, he can have you back - but a war horse may not necessarily have an owner these days."

She turned to the refugee. "Speaking of names," she said, "if we will be travelling together, perhaps you could tell us yours?"

Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
posted      Profile for Eöl i Moriquendë   Author's Homepage   Email Eöl i Moriquendë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ilandra stared gratefuly at the man. She nodded her head as thannks and set Ídáe to a trot to scourge the burning Village. Ilandra eyed the corpses of dead men and women.

Ilandra unmounted from Ídáe and led her to a well. A half full bucket of water was left beside the well. Ilandra used the bucket to wash her face and to let Ídáe drink. 'These truly are days of war in Rohan...' she whispered to her horse. They would have to continue on to the North or East gate from where they were now. 'We cannot get lost in Rohan, now while my mother moves closer to Rivendell...she will be waiting for me...' she smiled at metioning her mothers name.

Ever since her Mother left to seek out Rivendell, Ilandra would always sit in deep thought...

'Why must you go mother...?' she whispered, tears streaming down her eyes. 'I cannot stay much longer child...' Ilandra looked up at her mother. 'Then. Wait for me...' Her mother turned away and left the forest with her company. 'Wait for me...' she whispered one more time as her mother left.

'Wait for me...'
Ilandra mounted Ídáe and set her to a trot to the East gate.

[ 03-31-2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Nolofinwë ]

From: Havens of Pelagir | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aran Súrëo nickered softly as Barufiniel spoke. She understood that he wanted to come, she did! But at the mention of finding his master, he hung his head again. If only he could. He lowered himself to his knees and turned to look at Barufiniel, giving a soft nicker. If he could not serve his former master again, he could at least serve another and travel to the home of his friends.
From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rómenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2589

posted      Profile for Rómenya   Author's Homepage   Email Rómenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Raedyn shrugged and left Rabô to his business. She reached into her pocket to find the small loaf of bread. It was dry and stale, being from a few days ago, but she ate it anyway.

She felt the sun on her face and turned to the warmth. A gentle breeze made her fire-colored curls dance. She smiled.

Raedyn took a deep breath and her smile faded. There was something in the air...it smelled like smoke. Memories flashed through her mind of the flames and people being cut down as her home was destroyed. It was the last thing she had remembered seeing before her world went black.

Not again...

She pleaded in her mind. Raedyn heard a horse far across the plain. Maybe it was someone who could tell her what happened. She wished that Rabô was here. She needed something familiar.

Raedyn started to move around the rocks, using her hands to guide her. She had no idea which direction to go, so she headed north.

[ 03-31-2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Rómenya ]

From: In the shadow of the day | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rúnya Núrimehtari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4053
Alcaira smiled as Barufiniel introduced herself and then greeted the stranger that had now dismounted and walked over. As she turned to see where Hrívë was resting she suddenly remembered that she was supposed to be back a while ago. "I must head back now, but I will not be too long." Alcaira replied as she mounted Hrívë and looked up at the fast darkening sky. As she turned Hrívë in the direction of her village she looked back to reply. "I'll be back before nightfall, namárie!" And watched as the two friendly strangers faded from view.

As Hrívë swiftly galloped across the streaching plains of Rohan Alcaira chided herself for heading home so late. "They'll all be wondering where I am." She told herself as the village started coming into view. As they rode on Alcaira thought over what had happened in the last while, she remembered Barufiniels introduction. Why had that name sounded so familiar? Alcaira asked herself. Rameldir....Wait! The Rameldir that she had met as a child? The Rameldir that had been dear friends to her real parents and who told her of her past? Though that could not be, for Barufiniel is much older then me and when I had known them they were without children...

Suddenly she noticed Hrívë was now but a short ways away from the small cottage she had always called home. As she prepared herself for what she must tell her family she pushed the familiar name out of her mind. She would ask Barufiniel about it later, now she needed to face her family.

Dismounting her beautiful golden yellow stallion, Alcaira gave Hrívë a soft pat as she headed to her door....

[ 04-03-2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Rúnya Naira ]

Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
Ilandra could see the flames from the East gate as she neared it. It would be near impossible to pass it considering the burning wood piled over each other as a blockade. She would have to turn around. Or... Ilandra looked at the house that seemed extremely close to the East gate. The roof hand some embers on it, but nothing more, and the house itself seemed fine as it was. Ilandra set Ídáe to a trot towards the house. When Ilandra dismounted her horse and entered the house, the first thing she noticed, was a very long board. The stairs that led to the atic of the house must have burned down to ash by now. Ilandra grasped the end of the board to pull it outside. If it were not for her gloves, she would have had thousands of splinters. 'Impossible to do this alone...' she said with a sigh. Ilandra sat down on a three legged stool. Then...an idea came to her. She would need rope...

Ilandra ran out from the house, she went up to Ídáe and put her face to her ear and whispered softly, 'I'll be back...watch everything for me.' Ilandra laid her bow, and one of her White Blades down, she kept the other with her. She turned in another direction and ran off.

[ 04-01-2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Nolofinwë ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

The refugee didn't speak for a while. She obviously took her time over how much to reveal how soon to these people she knew nothing about.

Alcaira took her leave to go back and prepare for the long journey. She promised to join them again soon.

Barufiniel turned her attention back to the horse. It reminded her so much of the one she had left behind. And of all the memories ...

What was it about Alcaira? She definitely had heard the name before. It must have been something her parents had talked about. For some reason it brought a different name to her mind also. Airamaurëa?

Suddenly something snapped in her memory. Airamaurëa's daughter! Airamaurëa, her mother's dear friend back in Rivendell, before they had left for Rohan! Airamaurëa and her husband, the brave Callaráto!

Her parents had told her so much about their close friends, whom they had left behind to go to Rohan. And they had told her a strange story. They now feared that their friends were no more.

They had met a family in Rohan. A man and his family, with a daughter that looked (if you looked closely) as if she might have some Elven blood in her veins. Her parents couldn't tell - the baby had been left on their doorstep, and all they knew about her history, was the turqoise that had been hung on a golden chain about her neck.

Barufiniel's mother had gasped when she saw it. Airamaurëa's jewel! This girl must be Airamaurëa's daughter then!

But if Airamaurëa and Callaráto were not able to look after their own daughter, something must have gone really wrong ... Barufiniel's parents did not doubt that their friends had died.

The girl's name was Alcaira. Much as she was happy with her adoptive parents, she had been eager to hear all she could of her birth parents, and of Rivendell. They had talked to her for hours, and encouraged her to go to Rivendell herself, when she got old enough.

She had only been a child then, and Barufiniel believed this had happened recently before her parents disappeared from Rohan - so this young woman could be the same Alcaira!

But how would she be able to explain to her about the years in Narnia that didn't show up here?

Elyrka Redsmith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3054

posted      Profile for Elyrka Redsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Elyrka Redsmith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rabô sniffed again. Ash and flames were in the air. His skin prickled, and he turned, and flew, almost, back towards his Raedyn. If there was fire, they needed to be together.

He ran up to the girl, licking her hand of the few crumbs of bread that had scurried in. His scarred head nuzzled her fingers, gently. The dog loved her more than his own life, and would not hesitate to murder anymore who hurt her, at all.

From: On the wind in the wires. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rómenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2589

Raedyn heard the soft padding and felt a wet nose nudge her hand. Rabô.

She stroked his head, glad that he had come back. It was comforting to have him near. She ran her hand lightly down his neck and felt his hackles rise. So....something was wrong.

Raedyn tried to figure out what she should do. Should she try and reach the village and see if she could help anyone. Or should she keep heading north...maybe to see what had captured the wolf's interest.

"Well, friend? What should we do?" She asked Rabô.

He turned and gently nudged her leg. When Raedyn didn't move, he took a mouthful of her dress and pulled her in the direction he had come from. She gave a half-smile and scratched his head.

"I guess that answers my question."

She felt guilty about leaving the village, but she knew she wouldn't be of much help, not being able to see anything in the confusion, and it might be dangerous. Rabô probably wouldn't allow it.
Raedyn smiled, remembering a time when she had walked right up to and almost over, a small cliff. Rabô had barked and tackled her from the side, knocking her over before she stepped off the edge.

She put her hand on the wolf's back and he slowly lead her northwards.

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Folcmund stared after the Elf for a moment as she rode away, and then shrugged. "She must prefer to travel alone," he muttered to himself. He looked around for any other Orcs and, finding none, prepared to go after the Elf when he noticed a young woman making her way slowly through the burning village. He spurred Grimfola over towards her and quickly pulled back on his reins, the black stallion rearing a bit as he came to a stop before the woman.

Blinking his eyes as he tried to focus through the smoke and through the eye-slits in his helmet, Folcmund addressed her. "My lady, you should not be here. There may yet be more Orcs about, and the village is burning quickly," he said, sparing a moment to look up at the burning buildings around them again.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aduyulda
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3262

Finally, Elyaliel decided to trust the stranger.

"My name is Elyaliel," she replied. "My village has been burned by the cursed orcs- I think I will go with you to Rivendell. How came you to be traveling that way?"

She noticed that Barufiniel had a horse, somewhat similar to her own. She unconsciously smiled.

Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
Ilandra ran off through the village. The first house which she stopped at had the roof crackling and the door burst down. She stepped inside, three corpses by the table, fire everywhere else. 'God forsake those orcs...' she said to herself. Ilandra walked out from the house. The well was there again. Across from the well was another house, the roof was fine, no smoke emerged from the windows. Ilandra ran over to the house. It was more of a mansion compared to the others, but it made no difference. Ilandra placed her right hand on the door to push it down. It wouldn't budge. This time she rammed at it with her shoulder. No sound. Ilandra looked at her sheathed blade. The she looked at the door. 'What a waste of perfectly un-burned wood...'

The sword emerged from the other side of the door...

Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She looked up at the man that addressed her after wiping the ashes from her face with the back of her left hand. "I... I was working. I know I should be gone," she said clearly. She looked about the burning town, then back to the rider. "Will aid come? Will you stay and fight? There isn't much left to fight for." And with that she sighed.

Seeing a flash of white out of the corner of her eye, she turned. Amananna whistled, hoping that it was Ëarsúl, and indeed the figure moved towards her. When the horse came to stand beside her, she swung a leg over with great ease. Regarding the man again, now that she was nearly at the same height as him she said, "There. Now I have all I need to be on my way." All I need, except a way to be on... "I'd suggest you take your own advice and don't remain much longer. It isn't as though the town can be salvaged, and even the orcs are fleeing the flames now."

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help