Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell - A Word Aside (Page 27)
Author Topic: Road to Rivendell - A Word Aside
CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

posted      Profile for CrackinAndProudOfIt   Author's Homepage   Email CrackinAndProudOfIt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, she's trying to figure out how to respond without, you know, being insulting by speaking her mind. [] She doesn't actually say that, but instead asks Baru her name. Sorry it was unclear! *grins sheepishly* I'll go back and edit it to clarify...
From: Formenos, later Himring | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, it's clearer now. Italizing the thought was a good idea []

Now I need to think about Baru's reaction to a Quenya name ... []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

posted      Profile for CrackinAndProudOfIt   Author's Homepage   Email CrackinAndProudOfIt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question, Varna... [] From where we are now, would you like me to still pick up with Cirsolmë, or start off playing Tom? Got a preference? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
-Crackers

From: Formenos, later Himring | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be nice with a Cirsolmë post before Tom answers. []

If you think they should be kept a little apart, feel free to double-post with different POV in different posts (after a while I suppose there will be conversation which is mixed like when we talked to the inn-keeper, but that's up to you).

Edit:
Don't know how you got that double-post here - probably a technical hiccup ... If you want to get rid of it, you can PM the Steward and ask him to remove it. We are not allowed to delete our own posts.

[ 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
(I made it!) *stick nose in* Rusty RP-er here hoping to make the grade, possibly with the aid of a whet-stone. []

I have, of course, read the opening posts of the AWA, but there's such a lot of RP to catch up on! Would someone be good enough to give me a very brief summary of what's happened so far? I'd like my character profile to be relevent. []

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Welcome, DQ! []

When I had written my summary, I found that it wasn't brief enough to post here, so I'm sending you a PM instead.

I suggested in the thread where I invited you that you should be someone who lives in Tharbad, and you meet the rest of us there, possibly in the Inn.

If you like, you can join us to go to Rivendell, orr you can just say goodbye when we leave, if you don't want to play any more.

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

quote:
I think it would be nice with a Cirsolmë post before Tom answers.
That can certainly be arranged! []

quote:
Don't know how you got that double-post here - probably a technical hiccup ... If you want to get rid of it, you can PM the Steward and ask him to remove it.
Whoops, sorry about that! [] I think I must have hit the back button too many times... I hate to bother him about it, but I think it's going to drive me nuts till I do. [] Thanks for pointing it out!

DQ- it's great to have you join us! []

[ 06-27-2012, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: CrackinAndProudOfIt ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
-Crackers

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

I'm not sure where I should take things next... Will it be okay to post again and summarize Cirsolme's next day? Or, Varna, do you have a direction in mind? []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Her next day will be fine. []

For direction - I think it will be a good idea to do something about the celebration of the New Year - in the Shire they have already done this, so it would show how the Tharbad characters are a couple of months behind. But perhaps the characters should get to know each other better before we jump to the end of December.

I'll get out a PM as well ... []

Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a jump to the end of December, I should be able to whip up a "what Lóridrê did in the meantime" post and get back into the RP. []

[ 07-14-2012, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise with Yavandië. A time jump would help me to get involved again, too. []

(And hi Braeden! [] )

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Aika, I guess our characters ought to somehow finish that conversation about Baru's parents that we started. Do we need to write a few posts about it, or is it better to include it in flashbacks later?

I guess that flashbacks might be better because they won't slow down our willing posters [] , and we should then PM each other about the jist of the new conversation.

What do you think?

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Another point that has been mentioned in PMs - how does Tharbad celebrate New Year?

I don't think there's any information about it, so we can invent - and then, what would be likely?

I assume they would have a calendar close enough to the Shire calendar to have New Year at the same time, but I don't know about Yule tide - possible, but not necessary.

The Shire wouldn't have had fireworks for New Year if Gandalf hadn't been around. But good food is always part of celebrations, isn't it?

Share any ideas about what we could include - Tom and Heather will at least give a dinner where Baru and Alcaira are invited, but it might even be a bigger party - or they might give a big party as well as a smaller dinner ...

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aiyee, life does so get in the way of more fun things. [] Anyway, here's a profile. Let me know if anything's unsuitable. []

After some discussion with Varna, I'm adopting the healer who appears here.

Name: Iaura
Race: Telerin Elf
Physical description: Slightly shorter than your average elf and slender, Iaura is pale-skinned and dark-haired, with grey-green eyes. She normally wears a shirt and trousers, over which she wears a long coat styled to resemble a dress, all in a dark blue-grey reminiscent of a stormy sea, and soft leather riding boots.
History: Desirous of visiting other Elves and seeing what they find so interesting away from the shores beloved of her people, and also of expanding her knowledge of healing herbs. Iaura was travelling when she arrived in Tharbad and found it in need of an extra pair of healing hands. She has now been there many years, although it seems a very little while to an elf, even a relatively young one such as she. However, she does still wish to visit her kin.
Special skills: Healer, knowledge of plants and herbs. Also a fair tracker thanks to her excellent Elven senses.
Companions: Large chestnut stallion, answers to Erian. His saddlebags have been adapted so that one can hold her chest of medicial items (see below).
Belongings: Sword and dagger (similar in design to Hadhafang, but with waves and swans inlayed into the wooden hilts in silver and pearl). Several miscellaneous pieces of jewellery (some from home, some acquired on her travels, all entirely unimportant to anyone but her). From home she has also bought a small chest of herbs, berries, roots, salves, extracts and ointments, which she has added to on her journey.

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I like her - I need to read through the story, though, and find a reason why nobody has commented on her being an Elf or on there being an Elf living permanently in Tharbad - I had expected the Healer to be a mortal woman. []

But if we can accommodate the past of the town and of the story, we needn't accommodate the character []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Oop. [] Well, would one little elf be commented on? The locals might have been used to her by the time the group arrived. I can always un-elf her if it's a major problem.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I don't want her un-elfed ... []

The gatekeeper said (on page 9) that "Tharbad has not seen a female elf for many a long while", but might he not have noticed? Do people think she's human - since she's not as tall as some elves?

Could he be wrong without knowing?

Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Lóridrê met Iaura on her travels outside Tharbad? Iaura may've snuck out to find plants that grow wildly outside the city walls; such plants could include Hawthorn and Thrift. She may've also snuck out to 'escape' the humans for a while. []

Lori would've spotted Iaura as an elf straight away [having lived well over 6000 years & seen many things [] ]. No doubt her mare Áramuilë has now forgotten Grimfola and decided Iaura's stallion would be a good companion... [] []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Oooh good, I'm not used to RPing humans. []

Well, I read somewhere that the Teleri aren't the tallest elves anyway, so if she's smaller than average I see no reason why you'd notice she's an elf particular unless you saw her ears. Maybe I should add something about a hairstyle that might obscure them in some way, which would then have the consequence of people not necessarily correctly placing her race. Would that solve it? []

[] about the horses, Brae. But yes, undoubtedly Iaura would leave Tharbad on occasion to stock up, especially as she ended up staying by accident. [] She would appreciate some elven company after so much time with humans. Besides, Lóridrê would probably fascinate a young elf like Iaura - so many tales to tell! []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

We'll have it that nobody has realized that Iaura is an Elf, then - for some reason she's decided that it's best if people think she's human. Lóridrê is the first one to discover her secret, and I think she's kept it.

Not even Barufiniel has discovered it, but then she was not used to other Elves than her parents.

She did see that Lóridrê is an Elf, though - eventually! But Lóridrê is more Elvish-looking, although her ears are not pointed (that feature developed later in Elvish history - we think [] ).

So the gate-keeper spoke to the best of his knowledge []

Good! That's settled. I like to keep some degree of consistency within the story. []
But moving the story along is more important than purism []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Consistency is good, mutation is better. []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

So, any suggestions for Tharbad New Year traditions? I somehow feel that the Yule name was a Hobbit thing ...

In the Shire - in Tuckborough, especially - we put in the idea that the Thain would give a large party on the last day of the year, with just about everyone in the village invited. Only if Gandalf happened to be around, would there be fireworks - otherwise there were games and time to talk and lots of good food.

It would be good to have some kind of common event on New Year's Eve in Tharbad as well, but if there is a large party, I think it would be one where everyone contributed some of the food, not something that the Mayor would provide of his own funds. The Thain has a different position ...

But perhaps it would also be a tradition in Tharbad to have parties for family and friends during the last few days of the year? Then it would make sense for Tom and Heather (with those who share their house) to have Baru and Alcaira over for a party one evening.

Perhaps the Healer and her new colleague invite Baru and her company one evening as well, since the colleague was part of that company? We would then have a few guests that weren't played by anyone, but that might not matter.

Any more ideas?

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I could play random guests it you like. They might have similar personalities I fear!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Random guests would be best for the common event - I suppose some extra ones there would be a good idea.
We don't know yet what kind of event, so keep your eyes open!

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep my eyes open.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell - A Word Aside (Page 27)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help