Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell - A Word Aside (Page 26)
Author Topic: Road to Rivendell - A Word Aside
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gandalf driving a cart in the Shire, were did I get that idea from?
Hmmm ... perhaps you could have seen a picture of it somewhere? []
quote:
I suppose they all would take turns with driving the cart and they can relax in the meantime.
Relax how? Not by sitting on the cart - the cart is to be used for transporting goods!
Relax by riding ponies? If that is what you mean by relax, then fine, because they need to be riding.

Taking turns with driving the cart is fine.

But the idea is not to cope with as few horses/ponies as possible - quite the opposite!
They should bring along as many horses/ponies as they can handle, for those horses/ponies to carry supplies (sacks of grain) when they go back.

So how many horses/ponies do we have?
Horses: 2 - Bill and Bella.
Ponies: 1 for Ferdy and Timbo to alternate riding
1 for the rider of #1 to lead along
1 for Gandalf to lead along

Would it be possible to lead one along with the cart, or is that impossible? It seems rather difficult to me ...

We might have only 2 horses and 3 ponies, then. There should have been another for Dan, but as he didn't turn up where expected, and he didn't bring one of his own, we just lost one opportunity.

Could Dan possibly insult the Dwarves? Gandalf would certainly not want to alienate himself from them.

Perhaps these Dwarves are in a hurry for some reason, and get irritated by the cart taking up too much room in the road, and then Dan putting his foot in it?

Feel free to play Gandalf calming things down, if you like, rather than break off the post to wait for my posting - if you know how you want the encounter to end up.
Or let us play it piece by piece, and discuss the pieces in here.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's my post for now. Not quite as long as I thought actually!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like your post though!
I had to laugh, too, at Ferdy's clumsiness. But it came in rather handy ... []

So it seems they are about to have a friendly supper together, and Gandalf needn't be the one saving the day, Ferdy has done that already.

He'll make friends with the cook of the Dwarf group, I expect. And perhaps the Dwarves can give the Hobbits some useful information of what they can expect, on the road, and perhaps down at Tharbad, if they are coming from that direction.

Loremaster might post something from Gandalf's POV, but not right now, and if you have more ideas (e.g. for supper?), feel free to post them without waiting for him.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I should have the rest of the incident up shortly. Yes, I think there will be a meal involved! But I'm not sure that all of the travelers they meet will be quite so agreeable. Along the road they might meet some nastier. But I'm not quite sure yet who. But it would be nice to have some people that might worry even Gandalf. Wolves, perhaps, just outside Tharbad?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Finally outside the Shire! []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I like your post!
Hadn't realized that Dan was that good with negotiations, but he might be one not to take no for an answer, so perhaps that helps.

And now they're Outside, and anything might happen ...

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

We can expext a new player soon - CrackinAndProudOfIt has joined MT and will write in the story! Crackers has a lot of experience in writing fanfiction (e.g. at fanfiction.net), but is more new to RPing.

I've told her that I need her to interact with Barufiniel in Tharbad - they need to cover two months before Gandalf and Ferdy can join with them, as they are still only in early December. I expect we'll skip a lot of that, but we may be able to play a bit on our own as well.

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

posted      Profile for CrackinAndProudOfIt   Author's Homepage   Email CrackinAndProudOfIt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The aforementioned Crackers is finally here and in (mental) possession of a developing character! [] I've done a bit of research in pursuit of a name tonight (which is, as it turns out, quite the challenge when the character in question is from the Harad) and now believe I'm one step closer to that daunting goal. [] I'm looking forward to working more on my character and (hopefully!) soon introducing her! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
-Crackers

From: Formenos, later Himring | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Good to see you, Crackers! You're very welcome!

You're right, choosing Harad is a challenge []
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/mannish.htm says as much. So best of luck with your naming process!

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

posted      Profile for CrackinAndProudOfIt   Author's Homepage   Email CrackinAndProudOfIt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At long last, here's my character's bio!

Player: Yours truly, CrackinAndProudOfIt
Name: Cirsolmë

Race: Umbari adaneth

Physical Description: black hair, brown eyes, olive complexion, around 5'4", slender

History: born into a middle class Umbari family with a Gondorian ancestor at some point in the past (hence the Quenya name); found work to support her mother after her father's death in battle in the galley of a warship en route to attack Gondor in the autumn of 2758; The ship sailed all the way to Isen before finally being destroyed. Cirsolmë escaped the wreck fleeing north away from the hostile lands of Rohan and Gondor before reaching Tharbad in December. [Correct me if that's the wrong month!]

Skills: enough herb/root lore to keep herself alive off the wild throughout her 16-day journey north; cooking (as related to root/herblore); speaks Westron and Umbari

Belongings: clothes on her back; large kitchen-knife

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
-Crackers

From: Formenos, later Himring | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Welcome to Crackers and Cirsolmë! []

It suits the story well for her to reach Tharbad in early December, as that is when Barufiniel and Yavandië are talking in the Inn.

Gandalf, Ferdy and the others are travelling down from the Shire in late January / early February. They have just left the Shire, and will reach Tharbad in early February, so Barufiniel and Cirsolmë should cover some time together before both groups meet up.

If we want something more to happen with Gandalf and Ferdy, it's possible to do so, or we can just wait and move them to Tharbad when Barufiniel and Cirsolmë are ready to meet them.

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

^Thanks! []

All right, December it is, then! It isn't December, though, for Ferdy, Gandalf, and Co., right? So Cirsolmë and Baru will catch the timeline up to them in Tharbad...

Is it okay to make my first post ASAP? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
-Crackers

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Yes, go ahead! []

It's early February for Ferdy, Gandalf, and Co. - they have said goodbye to the Dwarves they met, and have crossed the border and left the Shire.

It's possible to start an additional adventure they might have along the way, but we've finished the one that we started, so it's also possible just to leave them alone until it's time for them to meet up with Cirsolmë and Baru.

It's up to Hamfast, really - if you want to play again, Hamfast, I'll join you, otherwise I'll just play with Crackers. []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I'm not quite sure at the moment to be honest. I suppose we could have Gandalf and the Hobbits arriving at Tharbad I haven't thought of any other adventures they could have on the way. On the other hand, Internet-wise everything is very quiet at the moment now might be a good time to have a quick episode. Though maybe that could be told in retrospect later.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

No stress, Hamfast - if you come to think of a good adventure for them, then go ahead with it, but if not, don't worry about it.

It's perfectly OK for them just to go quietly and have a brief summary when it's time for them to reach Tharbad. Which it isn't yet - Cirsolmë and Baru need a fair amount of time to play first.

Perhaps we will have some adventure on the way back as well - but then more people are travelling together, most of them, if not all, on horses.

Btw, what about your character and riding horses, Crackers? I guess she hasn't got a horse with her, but does she ride? I guess she can share Baru's horse either way ...

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

Well, I'm pretty sure I haven't read about the Haradrim doing much with horses, so I don't think she'd be very comfortable with them. I suppose she'd be interested by them, though, perhaps after getting over an initial bout of fright. []

*skips off to make first Cirsolmë post*

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

She might be used to elephants! []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

If she's used to the mumak, perhaps she wonders what to do with a (relatively) small horse - how do you handle it without breaking its thin legs []

Good post, Crackers - I particularly like where she ponders the probability of having to leave her whole past behind her. And how you drop in little bits of that past. Not enough to tell us anything substantial about her, just enough to make us curious and to promise us that there will be more later. []

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

^ Haha, that might just have to go in! []

And thanks a bunch! I was hoping it would serve as a good introduction without being smothered in flashback. [] I'll definitely be adding more soon! You did say it's okay to double post in the actual game thread, right? []

[ 05-04-2012, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: CrackinAndProudOfIt ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Double-posting is OK both in the story and in the Word Aside thread. The Green Dragon forum is special in that regard.

A good introduction without being smothered in flashback is exactly what it is []

CrackinAndProudOfIt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11375

Thanks! And I'm glad to know the double was okay! []

*traipses off to post again*

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

And finally I get the chance to break off the conversation that has been caught in a deadlock for nearly a year!

Aikanaro, Baru is going to be perhaps a little less than polite to your character, but only because I won't play her for you. I'll leave a chance for them to pick up their conversation some other time, in the hope that you'll have time to play with us again later ...

*goes away to try to write a good post*

Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] The recent posts seem to have sparked a little Lóridrê-musing. I can't promise any possible posts until June (at the earliest), but I would like to get back into this RP... []
From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

You're very welcome to come back []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

From your post in the story, Crackers:
quote:
What was she supposed to say: "Really? Well, I was taught that all of you were evil sorcerers."?
At first I wasn't sure what you were indicating with your punctuation, but am I right in interpreting it to mean that she considers whether to say this, but decides it wouldn't be a good idea - and doesn't actually say it?

Baru's reaction depends heavily on what was actually said. As a writer, you often know more than your characters, so I'm able to read Cirsolmë's thoughts, but Baru isn't. (She should perhaps be capable of osanwe - thought communication - but that's slightly different.)

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Road to Rivendell - A Word Aside (Page 26)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help