Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Lost Inn
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What? Barufiniel thought. 'Our Lord the Necromancer'? 'The Orcs are officially on our side'? She felt a shiver down her spine, and was suddenly very relieved that the Inn didn't have any portals, so that Whitesnake couldn't take her anywhere against her will. Then again, he didn't seem to be contemplating any such act.

The Necromancer? Her father had mentioned him. Although nobody - not even the Wise of the White Council - knew the exact nature of his identity, they knew that he was connected with the Enemy. Invasion had indeed been his policy. Mirkwood had been the fair and happy Greenwood before the Necromancer came. He was an enemy in his own right, whoever he was.

No wonder then that Whitesnake was worried by Gandalf, if indeed he served such a master. But then again - he seemed not to be entirely pleased with all aspects of his servitude ... Perhaps he was not altogether lost yet.

They were interrupted by the barlady, who brought Barufiniel's soup. Barufiniel thanked her and tasted the soup, which was excellent. She smiled and nodded again at the barlady, who went back to her other work.

"You were telling me about the Misty Mountains," Barufiniel reminded Whitesnake. "About how ominous they are. Yes, others have told me so about them as well. They aren't easy to cross. But wouldn't you have less to worry about if you didn't serve such a master? I don't know exactly who he is, but if his justice is as severe as you say, then that is saying something.
But I promised to listen to your woes, whether they've been self-inflicted or not - so please carry on."

[ 05-13-2007, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whitesnake looked at Barufiniel's cauliflower soup. 'That looks very, er, healthy', was the best he could say about it. Whitesnake did not have the best of diets. Whitesnake decided to duck Barufiniel's question about his politics and just to continue with his tale.

'Yes, the misty mountains are dark, difficult and foreboding indeed. Firstly, we had to set loose our horses as horses really are more of a hinderance than help in that terrain. We had to climb high in cold, wet, windy weather with slippery mud and poor visability. I also happen to think that Melchit could have chosen two better companions for me. At one stage, I asked George to tie up a fast knot with our rope so I could climb across some loose rocks. Fortunately I checked the rope and pulled and the knot came loose with one tug. I gave George a glare "I'm doing the knots in future" I instructed grumply. Neither am I very sure they appreciated what we were doing. Baldrick once asked me, "so what do we ask these Elves in dingdale when we get there then?" typical Baldrick to get the name wrong, "that's Rivendell Baldrick, actually, well our master is of the opinion that there are far too many people in the wild, Men, Dwarves, Elves, even Hobbits who live without the appropiate level of fear from him. He thinks this makes them dangerous. Therefore he has decided it is time for many of those lands to be taken over by him and the people that live there either work for his profit or if they disagree to be disposed of. That's killed Baldrick. Those who will benefit will be the small group of people like us who are his trusted servants. Well, make that me at least. I don't completely agree with this, but as those who disagree with him too loudly are imprisoned or executed I don't express this too strongly. Besides, I like having land, houses, horses, money and the like. But he wants to know what the Elves of Rivendell are currently doing, and that is my mission. Come on". As a few days travelling wore on at least the weather improved. But it seemed like the Orcs were not playing, and we couldn't find any of them. There tunnels were not on the route to Rivendell anyway, really.'

Whitesnake paused and drank a little more wine. He was under the impression that Barufiniel was beginning to disapprove of him. Ah, well, maybe he would pesuade her to change her mind. Whitesnake continued, 'Well, at least the weather improved after a time. But that in itself made our situation more dangerous. One evening I could hear loud noses "Giants, or Trolls of the mountains", I thought. Mind you, my companions did not seem to scared. In fact Baldrick stood up and peered over a rockedge "my, my what a pleasant view, look at all those pretty mountains I can see", "Baldrick will you keep your head down", barked I, but then he was joined by George "what for, it's nice to stand up and streach about", said he waving his arms I explained "Because there are dangerous creatures about that might not welcome us here such as Giants", however Baldrick said "but so what, it's dark, they can't see us can they", "no, they can't see us no-one can see us" agreed George and they both stood up out of cover. I crouched behind a boulder. Suddenly a rock flew just past George's head. So did another and a whole group of stones landed just yards away. Both Baldrick and George jumped down onto the floor, "and they can see like gimlets in the dark, clear? In fact hitting travellors with rocks is one of their favorite hunting methods. We're going to have to be careful and hope that I can find Rivendell soon. Otherwise we could be in trouble"'.

[ 05-16-2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel noticed that Whitesnake had avoided her comments about his master. Oh well. She was prepared to hear him out.

"Yes, Rivendell can be very difficult to find, they say," she said. "And for all the creatures of the Misty Mountains ... well, you must have managed to get past them somehow."

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whitesnake stroked his well-fitting tunic. He was actually enjoying this conversation. He did not think that everyone would approve of it, however. Whitesnake was discouraged from making too much careless talk, some said it was possible he could give too much information away. 'Never mind that we all need to relax', thought he. He explained 'Yes, we did make it past the creatures. With, I might add, a good deal of crawling on all fours, keeping our head down and hiding. I banged my ankles a few times causing bruising. But after a day or so as evening fell, I noticed a familiar valley and said "Yes, here we are Rivendell". Now I might point out that not everyone, particularly east of the mountains can find this place. It does take a certain amount of tracking skill, which I flatter myself to say that I posess', Whitesnake didn't mind really doing this to impress Barufiniel.

'I commanded my companions, "Oh, by the way. We are here inconito. It is perfectly possible that if one or two Elves recognize me they might want to ask some awkward questions, or worse. Therefore, I am not Whitesnake during this stay, my name is Rankin, understood?" both replied "Yes, yes, of course Whitesnake", "Or perhaps I should say Rankin?" joked Baldrick with a horrible little snigger. I just looked at him with scorn. Though I suppose that I did need my two companions. The misty mountains is no place for a man to go wondering on his own.' Whitesnake paused and thought again. Did not Barufiniel say that she was looking for Rivendell? How ironical it would be if someone like him was to have found it first! Might encourage her to stay for a bit. Was he actually warming to her? 'Careful Whitesnake,' he thought.

He therefore said, 'Rivendell. Home of the immortal Elves. If you are interested in the place, I can tell you all that I know about it. Although.....' Whitesnake gave out a little ironic chuckle even against himself, 'I have to say that my stay their was a little shorter than I expected and came to a rather abrupt end as you may find out if you are willing to listen some more'.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

"You found Rivendell by tracking? Yes, that's no mean feat," Barufiniel had to admit. "And I already know quite a lot about it, because my father has told me so much. He was with Elrond when Elrond founded it, way back in the Second Age, and he has lived there ever since, until recently - which will be well past your time, actually. What I need is to find the way there from Tharbad, which I don't expect you'll be able to do, since you don't know Tharbad. A friend of mine has been told the way, though."

She finished her soup and put the bowl away.

"But I'm still interested in hearing your opinion of it," she said. "And in hearing how you got into trouble with Gandalf and with the Elves. When I meet them, they might remember you, but then it will all be history."

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

'Well, if you're still interested in my tale I am willing to talk, though I hope you don't find all this too useful.' Whitesnake agreed. 'If the Master finds out that I could be giving information away 700 years time which could be used against him, he might be unhappy. Oh, well, it's not like he can ever find out in my time so foget him, I do need to talk. Yes, I found Rivendell. A fair place at least in it's appearance. The stars above the valley have an almost unearthly qualty. One of the ways in which you know you are there. I am told that Master Elrond has a girdle to confuse unheeding visitors, but I have always been able to overcome it a little like Beren with Doriath in the first age, although there the analogy between me and Beren ends. As for the Elves...... well, you know, very fair in many ways, but also for me extremely dangerous sometimes. But I was made comfortable enough with my cover story as a captain of the woodmen which Melchit had for me'.

Whitesnake took another sip of his white wine. Wine very often made him chatty or possibly Barufiniel was subtly encouraging him to speak to gain possible useful information? Whatever, Whitesnake didn't notice this. He continued, 'well, the next evening I was sitting in one of their meeting-rooms after dinner trying to engage one of the Elves in conversation, with little success at the time as all he wanted to do was to recite poetry. I then noticed Baldrick talking very loudly to a group of Elfs. He was saying, "Yes, we have come east of the misty mountains. From Mirkwood even a great place. My lord" - he pointed at me - "is a major Baron in the lands of Bushey", I decided that Baldrick was just becoming too chatty. He might even mention the Necromancer which could be disastorers. So I moved over to stop him, but he informed, "Yes, there he is, a lord of Bushey", he then winked, "But his name is Rankin", "oh, well done", I breathed a sigh of relief. My relief lasted only as long as Baldrick's next statement, "Which is an alias as his real name is Whitesnake, that's right isn't it? oh, or is that Rankin with an alias of Whitesnake, I get very confused," Baldrick looked at me with a smile. Before anyone notice, I kicked Baldrick in the groin and punched him in the chest and dragged him over to the fireplace, saying, "Sorry about my companion, he seems to have temporarily lost all power of speech."'

'George nearly had some interesting information. He whispered to me, "You know, these Elves have a very fascinating language. Useful too I've been learning all kinds of Elvish phrases. Want to hear them?" I was just about to agree when a great chant went up from the Elves, some kind of poem, for about a minute. I returned to George, "fine, why don't tell me about them?" "Tell you about what? oh, Elvish phrases. Well, there was, ummmm, and err, and Ohh, do you know, I think I've forgotten completely," I sighed. Typical George. There's a man with a limited attention span. Well, it was during that evening that I one a modest sum of money in a card school, found out that the Elves as far as I could see had no knowledge of my Master's plans for the lowlands and one other very useful piece of information. Gandalf had just been to Rivendell on his way to the East. In fact, we had missed him by just one day we must have passed him virtually in the misty mountains. I found this out from a lady Elf and asked her, "Was he alone?" "No, in fact he had many people with him, a Ranger called Beregond, an Elf, 3 Dwarves and 3 other people," I made a guess with a slightly sinking feeling, "Not Hobbits?" "Yes, that's right, 3 charming little Hobbits," I groaned. If there's one group of people that get on my nerves it's Hobbits. We get a few near to Mirkwood and, well.......' Whitesnake paused, 'Well, maybe I'll explain later why they annoy me so much. Still knowing about Gandalf was important. I decided I would have to return to find out what he was doing. Just then I spotted someone. Oh, good grief, someone whom I recognized. A lady elf who had also been near my lands and I had a very nasty incident with very recently. However it was possible that she didn't recognize me. I hoped not as if she did things could get very ugly for me. I was very cautious for the rest of that evening.'

'The next morning I woke up very early. I'm not sure why, but I just felt that something was up. I hear that you Elves are capable of a little intuition, well, you're not the only ones. Good thing that I did. I made my way very quitely to the edge of the valley, when I heard a great cry, "there he is, his name's Whitesnake, after him," and I saw a few of the Elves a little way behind me. Well, I decided that the best move then was to run full pelt as hard as I could out of Rivendell. If I was captured and the Elves asked me awkward questions things might have become very nasty. At the least I would have had to spend time in Jail, and I have to say I had no intention of doing. Worse case I might even have been executed had they found out about the Sth Tring massacre, which really was nothing to do with me and I regret what small part I played in this.' Whitesnake gave out a little embarrassed grin here. He was in fact been a little politic. The Sth Tring massacre was when a small group of Elves and Men had been captured by Whitesnake's Orcs, and after been assured of clemency, the Orcs had been attacked and the prisoners in Whitesnake's care where executed. Now it was true that Whitesnake did not give the direct order, but he could have paid more attention. Also to be fair, he didn't really disagree with it at the time. Given some other facts on Whitesnake's history, the Elves might very well have been justified in executing him if they had considered doing so. Would they? Whitesnake had thought so, certainly.

He therefore did as he said to Barufiniel. 'Yes, I'm unashamed to say that I ran out of Rivendell, hearing shouts behind me, with arrows whistling around my head and right past some sleeping Elf who was told to wake up as I past. But I made it, hiding around a small hill. I breathed a sigh of relief when I felt a jolt, "Hello, sir", and looked around to see both Baldrick and George behind me. "oh, joys to see you," I said ironically. If they'd executed me the Elves would probably have mistaken Baldrick for an Orc and George for an idiot. I don't think they would have lasted long. "What do we do know?" asked George, I answered, "I think we ought to try to find out what Gandalf is doing,"' Whitesnake finished that part of his tale. He looked around the Inn. There still didn't seem to be anyone else worthy to talk to so it looked like he would continue with Barufiniel. Which he was very happy to do, coincidentally.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Well, she wasn't going to seek out the Necromancer and tell him that his minion had been saying too much, Barufiniel thought. And she didn't know how it could be used against him, either - unless someone else came out of the past at a similar time to Whitesnake's, and could be told. As she had no intention of going the rounds of the Inn to check up on everybody's whereabouts - or would that be 'whenabouts'? - she didn't expect that she would be able to give away any of Whitesnake's secrets.

Hobbits. Her father had met some of those people. They were different from Men, not just smaller, but with a more careless attitude to life as well. They were tremendously fond of good food, she had been told. She expected to meet some of them in Bree - there were Hobbits living there, not just in the Shire.

Now why would the Hobbits annoy Whitesnake so much?
He had said that he might tell her. So when he paused and looked around the Inn, she asked him.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

'Ah', Whitesnake replied, 'Well, perhaps it would be better to tell that in a little while. I meet Hobbits in my tale soon, so it might be more logical to tell you why they annoy me then. Also, I was getting a little emotional and I shouldn't do that emotion clouds my logic sometimes. Our options where somewhat limited. It is dangerous for people of our background to go wondering west of the mountains. We couldn't go back to Rivendell obviously, the Misty Mountains where virtually impassable from where we where so really the only way was up. North. I did have a very rough map of the area, but it was a bit loose on detail. But that didn't matter too much as I could see the northern peaks of the misty mountains so I could head for them. I suppose I was vaguely heading towards Mount Gundabad where it is said that all tunnels of the mountains lead to where I might hear news of Gandalf. Hmmm, unfortunately, I had to do the directions myself seen as I did once ask Baldrick to lead us for a day. I knew it was a mistake. We seemed to be not making much progress, so I asked Baldrick what was going on. "It's this map, it's making me so confused," explained he. I looked at what he was reading. Well, it seemed that the idiot had been looking at the map upside down, so it was no wonder he was getting lost. "looks like it's up to me to do the directions," I suggested.'

Whitesnake stretched in his chair, straightened his dark green tunic and took off his black jacket. The evening was wearing on. Before long he would have to leave and go back to a dangerous situation he was in before he entered. 'Oh, well, worry about that when it happens,' he thought. He narrated, 'George asked me why it was so important to find out the whearabouts of Gandalf, "I mean, what's he up to?" I explained to him, "to be honest I don't know and that's the trouble. Has he found a new set of spells to counteract, say, the tree commands in the forest of southern Mirkwood? He might have plans to deal with the worm, Stauning. Maybe he is so full of new commands he can single-handly launch a peasant rebellion? Maybe he has blackmailed/pesuaded some of the important people somewhere in our country to do his bidding. Maybe he just has an assasination plan against me personally? Whatever, it needs looking into." The weather didn't improve much. If anything it became more rainy, darker and more muddy. It is said that there are 3 seasons in the mountains, the rainy season, the stormy season and the hurricane season. After a few days walking, we settled down on a rainy night to make camp taking what shelter we could. I lay down to an uneasy sleep putting George on watch. "If something happens please wake me immediately" I said as I dropped off.

I was wakened by an immense roar. I looked up to have my little tentlet ripped apart and a creature from my nightmares stood before me. It was around ten-foot tall, hairy with claws, teeth what looked like a rhino horn for a nose and an immensely ugly face. I was picked up and marched through the rain, tied to a tree alongside Baldrick and George. The creature could be seen through the dark and seemed to me to be part-giant, part-bear, part-troll, part-wolf, part-demonic being from the pits. It snarled at me and spoke in a kind of language. "hah, lunch. You will make a very tasty meal with three of you. Roar," it roared at me, it's teeth just a inch or so from my face. "Firstly, though I think I'll have some beer, I like a drink before food," well, he said drink, though what I saw was the most foulest, disgusting, smelly Beer I have ever seen in my life from a cauldron nearby, and I have to say I have drunk a few nasty pints. I think I could see dead mice at the bottom of it. I said angrily to George next to me, "I thought I told you to warn me if anything happened?" "Well, you know, I saw a faint shadow in the darkness, heard a roar saw that creature. But it seemed to move off, so I didn't want to wake you. Next thing I knew I was picked up and hurled to a rock." What type of explanation was that? Well, it was clear that we were in an extremely tricky situation. I don't know if such creatures still exist in your time, but this one looked very nasty.'

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

"I've never heard about such creatures," Barufiniel answered. "Hopefully they have become extinct - maybe the Elves found the last ones and killed them all? My father hasn't mentioned them, but then again, he hasn't gone into details about all his raids into the North during those years when he was responsible for defending the Great East Road. But -" and she had got really curious by now - "how did you get out of such a pinch?"
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake continued his long answer. 'Well Baldrick had a suggestion. He said to the creature in a very threatening tone, "now, look here, you just release us now or I will use my highly trained combat skills to flatten you properly." Hmmmm, lot of tosh, I know that's not true and the creature didn't believe him either and just laughed at Baldrick. Then I decided to come in with a plan I said to the monster in my most commanding and powerful tone, "Now, you are dealing here with Lord Edward Whitesnake, Lord of Bushy, close ally of the Necromancer in Mirkwood, I can bring thousands of spears to my command. I strongly suggest that you let us go." Nice try I thought but the monster took as much head of my words as he did Baldricks. In fact it's response was to sneeze disgusting snot all over my face. Charming. Some people just have no respect for authority, do they? Well, I was beginning to think we were done for this time, when help arrived.'

'To my amazement, Lord Melchit appeared. I wondered what he was doing. I was about to cry out, but Melchit gave no hint of recognion to me or to Baldrick when he called, "oh, we're saved, we're saved," so I guessed Melchit had his own plan. At least I hoped he did, if he was by himself, hopes of rescue might have been a little premature. The monster snarled at Melchit, "what do you want?" "are, my good man, I'm sorry to disturb you in the middle of lunch. I was thinking," he unbulked his bag from his back, "maybe you would appreciate some fresh food to go with your meal, see some nice vegetables, oh raw rat, how tasty, in exchange perhaps for a few glasses of your charming beverage over there," he pointed at the cauldron. "Huuuurrr, done," the monster agreed. Melchit put some food on the floor then went over to the mixture. "Needs a bit of a stir," suggested he and gave it a swirl with his cane. He took a little sup from his beer, doing well to stomuch it, and the monster did the same. The monster went over to me, "ah, food time," it roared, then contradicted itself, "nah, more beer". It and Melchit gulped down a few drinks. I was beginning to wonder if Melchit was doing nothing more than coming to watch the monster eat when something happened. The monster turned to Melchit, and roared to his ear, "Whatchur doing here anyways, I don'ts trust you, In, hic, fact I will," the monster picked up Melchit, "eat, seat, frat, ohhhhhh," and it then toppled over, obviously the worse for wear for Beer. Which I thought was a little odd, seeing as the monster should be more used to it's beer than Melchit. Melchit himself looked a little on the drunk side as well, "come on, nows your chance," he called to me. With a struggle, I managed to unfree myself from my bounds, reach for my sword which had been taken. Never mind, a rock would do so I picked one up and smashed it a few times over the head of the drunken, slow moving monster slaying it, aided by Melchit. Melchit shook his head his head opening his eyes a little at me, "That was definitely a strong mixture, a good thing I stayed sober more than him," "Yes, but how did you manage to stay more sober than it?" asked I as I helped to free my companions. "ah, I added a few more ingrediants, a few shots of druze from home. Fortunately I am more used to it then the creature. You saw me swirl the liquid with my cane? He showed his cane to me. "see, I chissled a hole, just enough to carry some druze in when I saw your fix. Good thing I can drink it better than the creature, however, I thought it would never feel it's effects. Here's your sword, by the way." I thanked him for rescuing us, but he seemed to think it was worth the risk.

I told him about our stay in Rivendell and the information about Gandalf. "ah, good work, you did right to come to tell me about this. Good thing I was coming this way. I had just come back from our friends in Mount Gundabad. I have heard of this creature and have met it before, you really should do more research on your journey, you know deary. Your way should be clear there now." As we left the scene, I gave the liquid in the cauldron one last chance. I shook my head at its foulness. Mind you, Baldrick didn't agree. "That doesn't look too bad can I try some?" he asked me as he looked at it.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Barufiniel thought it rather weird that a monster should be overcome by strong drink - but she assumed it might be possible. She waited for Whitesnake to continue his story.
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A cool breeze off the sea ruffled Amárië's golden hair as she sat hugging her knees, watching the sun break the eastern horizon. She felt relieved - as she did every night - that the dark was ending. In the night, shadows haunted her, and the loneliness threatened to devour her very being. So she would come here, staring east into the vast expanse of ocean, as if somehow she could make out the West Coast of Middle Earth, and with it the distant form of her beloved.

Amárië had lost track of how many years had passed since He had left. She remembered that day as if it were yesterday, but the years in between seemed almost dreamlike, crushed into a timeless vacuum. She had been younger then, innocent and naive, filled with hope and dreams. She had also been with child - and it had been for that reason that she had been forbidden to follow her Beloved.

A tear streamed down her cheek and she wiped it away. She was not so hopeful now. To have found her other half, and then to have lost it, was more painful than if she had never found it at all, she thought at times. But then at other times, she realized that it was the memory of their love that was the only thing that kept her from fading.

The sun rose quickly in the sky, and Amárië stood, the strengthening morning wind whipping through her hair and dress.

I am still with you, my beloved...

Blowing a kiss into the wind, she turned, wandering the well-known steps back to Tirion. Lord Arafinwë and his family had been quite kind to her since her Beloved had left, but it broke her heart to know that her son had grown without ever knowing his father. The boy was so much like him - gentle, inquisitive, intelligent...at times the similarities were like a stab in the heart to Amárië...

She sighed and walked, turning her head back to look once again into the ocean, as if somehow, some way her Beloved would appear, and her long wait would be over. But alas, few ships came to Valinor anymore, although Amárië was always there to meet each one.

As she looked back, she noticed - as she had never noticed before - a small inn tucked in the valley. Curiously, she made her way towards it, lifting her skirts as she descended from the hilltops. As she reached the door, her delicate hand turned the knob and warmth and music reached her from inside. She entered, cautiously, and found herself in a place like nothing she had ever seen before. She raised her hand to her heart and her lips formed into a suprised "oh," as her eyes desperately sought for something familiar. They latched onto the elf-maiden who sat talking in the corner. There was something strangely familiar about her, although she knew not what. She moved to a chair behind her, not wishing to interrupt.

[ 05-29-2007, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

While she was waiting, Barufiniel realised that the door had opened to let in a newcomer. Soft steps could be heard - only faintly - behind her, and someone sat down at a table nearby.

She winked at Whitesnake and whispered, "Another of your friends, perhaps?" He just shook his head, and Barufiniel turned around to look at whoever had come in.

It was an Elf-woman. Barufiniel knew it immediately, even though her golden hair was very different from the dark hair of her own family. She smiled and said, "Welcome, stranger! Or are you perhaps a regular customer here?"

The other looked a bit mystified, and Baru thought, Oh, perhaps I shouldn't have spoken to her in the Common Tongue - maybe she only speaks Sindarin.

So she repeated her question.

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amárië stared at Barufiniel blankly, the words coming out of her mouth foreign and strange. She found herself embarassed that she did not understand - Findárato would surely be ashamed of her after all the study they had done together of language. But she had never heard this language before.

"Forgive me," she spoke in a soft, melodious Quenya. "Forgive me, but I do not understand."

[ 05-31-2007, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Barufiniel lightened up and totally forgot about Whitesnake for a moment.

"You speak Quenya!" she exclaimed in her favorite language. "I've been taught both Quenya and Sindarin, and I don't often get a chance to speak Quenya - it's so beautiful! I was just asking whether you're a regular at this Inn, but I guess you're not. And it's only my first time here as well. This gentleman here" - she nodded towards Whitesnake and thought that calling him a gentleman might be pushing it a bit - "is a regular and has told me about it. It's a very strange Inn."

She smiled at the stranger.

"My name is Varnafindë," she said. "Only I use the Sindarin form, Barufiniel, most of the time. Most recently I come from Rohan, but I'm on my way to Imladris, where I've got kinsmen."

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Amárië smiled in relief as the other began speaking in a lanugage she understood.

"Ah, yes. I do not know this "Sindarin" language, I fear. Forgive me, I have only learned Quenya. There are still many things I do not know, I fear. Rohan? Imladris? Please, where are these places? I have never heard of them. Perhaps they are far north near Formenos, where I have never been? Or far to the east, across the Sundering Seas? If you have travelled across the seas, please, do you have word of Findárato, son of Arafinwë?"

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Only Quenya? And never heard of Imladris?
Now what was this Lost Inn up to? Where - and when - did this woman come from?

Barufiniel tried to think quickly. 'Across the Sundering Seas?' 'Far to the east?' Did this woman live WEST of the Sea then?

And if she was a contemporary of Finrod, whose name in Quenya was Findárato - Barufiniel realised astonishedly that the other might be living in Valinor at the time when the Eldar were fighting Morgoth in Beleriand. Probably before her father was born ...

"Yes, Rohan and Imladris are far east of the Sundering Seas," she began, a bit hesitating. "But I haven't actually travelled across the seas ... As I said, this is a very strange Inn. It's not always at the same place. Which means that you can get into it from different places at the same time. You've found it in the West, haven't you? And when you leave it, you'll go back to where you came from. Whereas I found it east of the seas and will go back to Middle-earth when I leave it."

She took a deep breath.

"And what makes it even more strange," she continued, "is that it doesn't work that way only across distance - but across time as well. I live further into the future than you do. In my age, Morgoth has been defeated. Findárato lived a long time ago - he was the brother of my great-grandfather, Angrod, or as we would call him in Quenya, Angarato."

She waited, wanting to give the other time to comprehend the strange ways of the Lost Inn.

[ 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Amárië was silent for a moment, letting the words sink in. Like her Beloved, she was thoughtful, and rarely reacted in haste.

"The Valar give us many gifts," she said slowly, "that we are not meant to understand, but simply to appreciate. This place must be such a gift."

She hesitated, letting that revelation sink in, before smiling softly at Varnafindë.

"Then, my dear child, you are my great-great grandniece." She smiled at her gently and clasped her hand in her own. "My name is Amárië," she said softly, "I am of the Vanyar, but of the house of Arafinwë, as I am the wife of his eldest son, Findárato." She smiled broadly. "I know Angarato, or I knew him, before he chased the Morgoth across the seas with his brother, my Beloved. You know my Beloved, then? You must tell me - is he well? I am sure he is a kind and doting uncle, as kind and doting as he would have been to our son, had he known him."

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake was quite pleased to have some more company. Although it occured to him that in another place he would have been very nervous about the company of two elven-women. He said to Amarie, 'a very great pleasure it is to see you at this Inn. I'm afraid my knowledge of Sindarin is very limited. Unless it is Sindarin for "That's Whitesnake after him.'

[ 06-01-2007, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Barufiniel realised that she might have to act as interpreter between the two others, but she was more concerned first of all with the message which she had to give to her new-found aunt.

"No, I don't know him," she said, a bit hesitant again. "You should have talked to my grandmother about that, Arindis - did you know her? Yes, she crossed the ice with Fingolfin - Nolofinwë - so you must have met her before they all left. I'm sure he was a doting uncle to her.
I live a lot later than this, you see - several thousands of years later, in fact. Years of the Sun, that is - but you have seen the Trees, haven't you? It must have been a wonderful sight. What a pity that this Inn doesn't allow me to join you for a visit back to your time, but it doesn't work that way."

Barufiniel had to admit to herself that she was rambling and trying to avoid what she had to tell Amarië.

"But Findarato didn't survive as long as down to my time," she finally said in a quiet voice. "Like so very many - so many because of the curse, perhaps? - of those who left Valinor, he died in the wars against Morgoth. He laid down his life helping a friend."

[ 06-01-2007, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Amárië looked blankly at the man this Varnafindë had been speaking to.

"Forgive me, I do not speak that language..."

She turned back to Varnafindë, her eyes yearning to hear news of Findárato. She longed to hear stories of his wonderous adventures, and hear of all the wonderful things he had done.

The light in her eyes died as she listened to the other's words, and she clasped her hands in front of her, her breathing becoming a bit ragged and quick. Upon hearing the last bit, she stood, and paced a moment. Back and forth....back and forth...

She struggled, as she knew she should, to maintain her composure. Findaráto would not want her to lose control. But everything within her was screaming, and she could only hold it back for so long.

She inhaled deeply, as if to fight it off, then pushed it far to the back. She would not think of it. She would not speak of it. She would ignore it, and perhaps she would wake and this would just have been a dream.

She forced a smile.

"Ah, yes, I knew your grandmother. You must tell me all about Middle Earth, and the wars, and Beleriand."

[ 06-01-2007, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

"I will tell you all that I remember," Barufiniel answered, "of what my father told me. He was only very young at the time when Morgoth was overthrown, so even he knows most of it from what our loremasters have written down. He has been studying such writings for very long, though."

She suddenly remembered something.

"His favorite story is about Findarato, actually. He copied the book, and when he fled from the wars in Rohan recently, before I was born, he brought his copy with him. I've made a copy for myself as well. Findarato talks about his theories of the end of Arda and of what may be the fate of the Eldar after that.
There is this to say about his death, you see," she said softly, being very aware of Amarië's distress.

"If he had not died, he would have been separated from you for all of Arda's time. Now he will be able to return to you, not so far into the future. Our loremasters say about him when they tell of his death that 'he walks with his father in Eldamar'."

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Amárië nodded slowly, clasping her hands togeher.

"Then perhaps he shall return to me, then?" A slight smile curled the corners of her mouth, then retreated once again. "Tell me, did he suffer a great deal? I do hope that death was quick and merciful."

Bowing her head for a moment, she then looked back up at Varnafindë, with a gentle smile, remembering.

"Yes, yes, I remember. Findaráto and I had discussions of the same sort. We would talk late into the night of such things: of our place in the world, and what would become of us at the end of Arda. My beloved, he was always so full of questions that could never be answered. A mind - and a heart - too big for Arda."

She looked down for a second as if examining the grain of the table, running her fingers over it for a moment.

"Are you married, Varnafindë? It is the most marvelous thing, to share your feä with another. Ilúvatar has given us this gift, and I think that love is the greatest of all he has given us. When I met Findaráto I was so young...so naive and innocent. I hope that age and grief has not taken that from me. So many times I see Eldar who are so hard and aged since the Kinslaying and the Flight of the Noldor, but I think there is still beauty in this world. Perhaps it is the way of Eru - to show us beauty through ugliness and despair - the way a rainbow shows color in a dark and tumultuous sky."

She stole a glance at Whitesnake, examining him pensively.

"I have heard tell of the second-born, the Edain. They are children of Ilúvatar as well, yes? And I hear he has bestowed upon them a mighty gift - a gift of freedom. I have heard tell that while their time upon this earth is brief, when they die they are freed forever from Arda, that they are but visitors, to stay for a short while. Is this true?"

She pulled her eyes from Whitesnake, and back to Varnafindë. Her eyes were soft, and time and grief had only added a gentle sadness to her innocence and beauty.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake nudged Barufiniel, 'Finrod, I've heard of Finrod,' he whispered to her. Through her interpretation he said, 'ah, Finrod, he was a mighty Elven lord, whose name lives through legend and glory,' he then muttered to himself, 'actually, even on our side.'
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake excused himself, 'Sorry, ladies, nature calling,' and stood up to go to the lavatory. On the way he bumped into Porty the Baker. 'What did you think of my cakes?' Porty asked him. Whitesnake thought of something positive to say, but couldn't really be bothered. 'I thought they were absolutely awful,' replied he and entered the toilet. He thought, 'Oh, good, I can play spin the bottle top here.'
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help