Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Lost Inn
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Please see the Word Aside. All OOCs go there. Thank you very much. Enjoy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Once upon an undefined time, in an unconcrete place, there were two little hills that came together in a narrow valley. And running through the valley was a clear, little brook. Altogether, this place without a place was a very pleasant place, and when Lord Umb found it while walking through Ithilien, he thought it would be the perfect spot for an inn. But Lord Umb was not in a building mood, so he walked on. Then, a hundred years ago, Wilibald Boffin was taking a hike through the Shire, and he saw the two hills, and he thought in passing, "what a beautiful place for an inn," and he kept walking.
When the bright sun had risen and set over Middle-earth each day for another two hundred years, there was a man walking through a wild expanse of hills and pine forests in the east, two days walk from Esgaroth. Toward evening, the man came upon the two hills earlier described, and the first thought that came to his head was about how a quaint and comfortable inn would fit just there.
While the man was in the valley, he sat upon a stone by the water and looked wistfully into the eddying swirls. He started to hum, and then to sing a quiet song that came into his mind unbidden.

When the stars of early years,
glinted down on elven tears;
And the swords of Noldor Lords
were drawn against the Orcish hordes;
far away there were two hills,
down their sides were slender rills
that gathered all together there
into a brook without a care.
And this place would hear no "Nay!"s
But went along its pleasant ways,
finding travelers who needed sleep,
or a peaceful place to weep.
If only there were built an inn!

The traveler sang this last line and was startled, for he did not know if he had just added his own desire to the song, or if it had been the right line. He had no time to think of it, however, for just then a procession of dwarves, each with a different coloured hood, began to march into the valley alongside the brook with their picks and axes over their shoulders.
"Halt, good dwarves!" cried the man, stopping them. They seemed in an amiable mood, so he went on, "Would you stop a while and help me build an inn here? For is this not the perfect place for one?"
And the leader of the dwarves came forward. "Stranger," he said, "you ask a large favour of us, and were we not just thinking of the same thing, we would have to turn you down. But as it is, for now we are your servants."
So they began to work, and as you know, there are no better masons than dwarves. Before many weeks had passed, an inn of grey stone was made in the valley. Part of it was built on either side of the brook with an arched bridge connecting them.
"The Lost Inn," said the traveler cheerily. Now he was an innkeeper and no longer a nameless traveler, so his name must be told: Allytar Mendin. And he sat smoking his pipe, sitting on the bench outside the Lost Inn awaiting any weary man or women, elf, dwarf, or hobbit who might happen by that way.

[ 04-20-2008, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fírimar trudged silently through the plains of Rhún, glancing over his shoulder occasionally to watch the smoke from the armies camp fires far in the distance.

He topped a small rise, and was astonished to see a wonderful little building nestled between two hills. It was the most inviting place he had ever seen in his whole life.

With one thought only in his mind, Fírimar hurried towards the building. His lost home in Rhún was forgotten. The armies were forgotten. The only thing he was interested in was this building.

A puff of smoke caught his eye, and there Fírimar discovered a man sitting on a bench, smoking a pipe.

"Hello, sir," he began haltingly. "My name is Fírimar. I have lost my home, and... I have no place to go," he ended in a quiet voice. "May I come in?"

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Come in! Come in Fírimar for sure," said Allytar Mendin. He ushered the weary man through the door into the inn, and showed him to a table and, better yet, a chair. "Will you have something hot or cold to drink?" Allytar asked. "And what to eat? I will just run and get it and you can tell me your story. I was without a place to live once, and it was not a happy business, so I am bent on helping anyone in the same plight."
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
"Something cold, please," Fírimar said. "To drink, that is," he finished. He was looking out the window, and was astonished to see that the rising spires of smoke that had followed him for miles were gone, as if they had never been there. The blue sky was only graced by a few lonely high flying clouds. There was no smoke to be seen.

Suddenly Fírimar realized something. "Sir, I have no money to pay you with... but I will gladly work off my debt."

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Allytar was just coming back with a pint of freshly brewed, foaming beer for Fírimar, when the good man pointed out his moneyless situation.
"Oh, do not bother about that," said the innkeeper, smiling. "You're my first customer, and this the first beer I've served. It's on the house! But say, you are an honest fellow, and willing to work, and you've got no home, and here I am alone in an inn all to myself. Would you mind staying on here for a while, and making this your home, and assist me in caring for this, my new inn?"
Allytar plopped the mug down before his guest and whiped his hands on his apron as he awaited the answer. The innkeeper's eye flicked from Fírimar to the door and back again. He was ready to dart off in an instant in case anybody came in.

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Fírimar was having difficulty concentrating, with his attention divided between the innkeeper and the smokeless sky, but when the innkeeper mentioned something about staying, Fírimar's attention shot back to the man.

"Assist you? I would love to! This seems such an extraordinary place. I imagine it will attract some extraordinary people," he said.

Holding the drink in his hand, Fírimar got up to wander around the building and see what it had to offer.

After a brief tour to satisfy his curiousity, Fírimar returned to the common room. Anxious to show his eagerness to Allytar, he cleaned up after himself and returned to the proprietor with a smile on his face.

[ 01-17-2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She walked along the creek slowly, stepping in the chill water now and then. It was before darkness when she saw something about both sides of the stream. Smoke rose from a stonework chimney and the scent of woodsmoke filled the heavy air.

A place to rest in from the cold and rain? It appears to be an Inn! It had been a long walk from the south and the spring rains soaked Luthien to the bone. Stepping into the door and shaking off her cloak, she looked around. the light flickered slightly at the burst of wind that came in the door. She looked about loosening her cloak clasp and hoping the Innkeeper was near.

From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Fírimar almost collapsed from fright at the sudden appearance of a living, breathing being. He had been wandering throughout the Inn alone with his employer for so long he had almost forgotten other people existed in the world.

"Hello, my lady!" he called to the newcomer. "Welcome to the Lost Inn. Make yourself at home. Would you like something to eat or drink?"

Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes.. please if it is no trouble, I need a room and a meal, and a drink to warm my bones along with a seat by the warm fire I would desire if it be not a burdun.

Luthien pushed back her soaked hood and shook out her dark hair. it fell limply in wet strings about her shoulders, and she looked at the man who spoke.

From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teron
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6101
posted      Profile for Teron   Author's Homepage   Edit/Delete Post 
Porty the baker strutted down the muddy, wet road when he noticed a light in the distance.
'ah, an inn! just what I need. I hope they have seed-cake their.'He thought joyously as he knocked on the door.

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The inn's door clinked opened to reveal what was then a cool early spring evening with a smattering of stars. In walked a man. He was late-twenties early-thirties, auburn haired, handsome if in a rather rubbery and weady way and very sophictically dressed. He walked over to the bar. The lady at the bar welcomed him 'ah, Edward, isn't it? or do you prefer to be known as Whitesnake?' 'Whitesnake will do thank you, nothing personal but I am used to been refered to by my surname rather than my first. Of the people I know, only my brother can call me by my first name and for some reason, I don't see that much of him nowadays. Thank you my dear. Now do you have any Lagar?' 'Lagar, now what would that be?' Whitesnake sighed 'Don't be funny with me, please you don't seem to have any on tap, but I know that you have some in bottled. Oh, and don't...' 'lager, yes coming right up, oh, dear I seem to be called over by something, I'll just let my barman, Baldrick serve you', 'let Baldrick serve me' muttered Whitesnake to himself.

Baldrick was a very small, hairy and let's be honest a little celebrial challenged man. Whitesnake had known of him. As Baldrick handed over a brightly coloured bottle of alchol he asked Whitesnake, 'are you the whitesnake that you are that I know or just the general one of the Whitesnake's that may or may not know me or just my general personia?' Whitesnake paused and looked at him wondering how to respond. 'Let's just say I don't think we've personally met' he replied. 'Oh' said Baldrick, 'at least I hope, knowing one of you is enough' Whitesnake said to himself.

But Whitesnake made his way to a comfortable table in the lounge. He was a man with a lot on his mind. He poured himself his drink and looked around. One or two people here, but he wasn't sure he recognized anybody. What he really needed was to talk to someone. In fact, unusually for Whitesnake as he was normally a bit of a skinflint, he was even prepared to buy a drink or two in return for a conversation. It helped his thoughts to talk to someone. But would anyone be listening?

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Inside the door that Barufiniel had just come through, there was a very comfortable inn. It had a fire, and the Elf-woman went over to warm her hands - it was a very cold December day outside, and she had been walking all across Tharbad, where she temporarily lived, before stumbling upon The Lost Inn.

She needed something to drink. Perhaps a light lunch as well? She went over to the bar.

"Welcome to The Lost Inn!" the lady at the bar said. "I don't think I have seen you here before. What would you like?"

"A glass of grape juice, please," Barufiniel answered, "and perhaps a bowl of soup, if you've got some?"

"We've got cauliflower soup, madame," the barlady said. "Would you like some of that?"

Barufiniel ordered the cauliflower soup and a cup of tea for afters, got her glass of grape juice, and looked for somewhere to sit.

There were not a lot of people in the room. Over in the lounge there was a comfortable table with only one man sitting at it. It was a man that Barufiniel hadn't met during the few weeks she had been staying in Tharbad. Perhaps he wasn't a local. Barufiniel felt her curiosity rising. She walked over to his table.

"Excuse me, sir," she said, smiling. "Would you mind if I sit here?"

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whitesnake looked up from his thoughts as a young lady (apparently so to him) asked to sit by him, drinking a glass of grapefuit juice. She asked him if he minded her sitting near him. 'Silly question', thought he 'that would be a pleasure young lady!' Whitesnake responded putting on his best charming smile. 'Hmmmmm' he considered. Judging by her accent and dress, she seemed not to be from his country, or he guessed his time. He would like to get the lady into conversation how to do it? ah ha! 'Tell you what, if you can guess what country I'm from, I will buy you a drink!'
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This was a man who could be very charming, Barufiniel thought. He seemed to be inclined to talk, so she might be able to find out more about him. This could be interesting. But to guess his country?

"I'm afraid I'm not likely to succeed in that - although a glass of wine to go with the soup I've ordered, might have been nice," she answered. "I haven't seen a lot of Middle-earth, you see. I've only lived in Rohan" - she chose not to tell him for how long - "and travelled through Dunland before arriving here at Tharbad, so I don't know a lot of other countries. My father has told me about them, though, he has travelled a lot more than I have - but he has left now." As usual, there was the small stab of pain at mentioning her parents. She still hadn't got used to not having them around.

She recovered and went on,
"But it's worth trying a guess, anyway. Let's see - perhaps you might be from Gondor?"

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

'Gondor' thought Whitesnake. Well, he'd heard of it, to be honest he didn't think he liked the place, but it didn't really come into his world. He certainly didn't come from there. But he liked the look of Barufiniel so didn't desire to discourage her completely. He took of his leather, black gloves slowly, stroked them and placed them on the table. 'Not exactly. But I'm not sure that I told you that you have three guesses.'

[ 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Three guesses? Barufiniel thought. He really wants me to succeed - I wonder why? And if I don't make in three, will he extend it to seven? Oh well, I'll go along and try to find out what he's up to. If I'm sufficiently vague, perhaps he will use that as an excuse to accept my answer.

"Not from Gondor?" she said. "And I have another two guesses? Now let me see - I don't think you're a local from here around Tharbad. And I don't think you're one of the horse-lords from Rohan, either. You wouldn't be sitting here peacefully then, not with Rohan at war like it is now ... You could be from Ithilien, or even further north, but I don't know all the names of those countries ... I know about Lothlorien, but only my own people live there, not Men ... but somewhere in that area, perhaps. Yes, that's my second guess," she smiled. "Some country east of the Misty Mountains. I'm sorry I can't give you one particular name."

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake thought 'Lothlorien, eh. Now she's very attractive, almost non-humanlly attractive, young-looking although there is just something about her eyes which tells me that she is older than she might at first sight appear also from Lothlorien. That makes her an Elf I would be nearly sure of.' Whitesnake decided to be a little careful at first. He remembered that people from Lothlorien were not all that friendly with Dol Guldor, and he had trouble with them in the past.

But not now. He spoke out loud, 'Correct, my dear. I come from the land of the Woodmen east of the Misty Mountains. I think I owe you a glass of wine. Or perhaps we could share a bottle? You didn't specify red or white. Or alternatively I can recommend the Miruvor here, it is delicious. You can have it by itself, or maybe one of their cocktails with bananas, cream, chocolate and a funny sparkler on top! In fact, it is the best Miruvor I've tasted since I was at Rivendell, an entertaning time that was especially winning some money of Master Elrond at cards. Oh, excuse me, I'm rambling again'.

Unfortunately Whitesnake could do that occasionally. He smiled at Barufiniel, gave out a little embarrased laugh - quite deliberately in fact - then he decided to wait for her reply for heading to the bar. He finished his lagar. Hmmm, yes, maybe a variaty of drinks would be nice.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

"Sharing a bottle of wine would be fine," Barufiniel answered. "White wine, please - I fear that cocktail you talk about, might not be quite to my taste. But did you say Rivendell - and Lord Elrond? I'm on my way there - he's my kinsman, and now that my parents have left, I'm hoping that he'll let me stay at Rivendell. A friend of mine knows the way, and we're spending the winter here in Tharbad, waiting to set out for Rivendell as soon as the weather permits it."

Winning money of Master Elrond at cards? she thought. The cheek! Did he have no respect for the Lord of Rivendell? Was he even speaking the truth? She wouldn't have thought of Lord Elrond as a gambler. Was he just making it up, to sound important?

She decided to be careful about accepting drinks from him. A bottle of wine, which was opened at their table, should be all right - but no strange mixture where she wouldn't know about the contents. She was curious about what he was really up to, though ...

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake grinned and went over to the bar to buy the wine. As usual he was served by Baldrick. He was sure they done that deliberately to annoy him. 'You seem to be getting on well with that young lady' said Baldrick giving him a particularly ill-fitting knowing smile. 'Oh, shut up, Baldrick, it's not what you think. I am trying in fact to engage in pleasant and intelligent conversation. Neither of which I am likely to get from you. Besides, I don't think she's quite as young as she appears. Hmmm, thank you', this was a little rude of Whitesnake, but as his comments did go over Baldrick's head, it didn't matter.

He returned to his table, poured out two large glasses of wine, 'your good health' he complemented, smiled at Barufiniel and continued. 'Yes, I have been to Rivendell. Pleasant enough place. I enjoyed the card-games. Mind you, I didn't when the big money, that was Lord Glorfindel. Now he is good. You try to decide if he's bluffing or not! I suppose though, that was when my troubles started. It was that evening, around a month ago in Febuary, when I received a message from George, one of my people. He told me that Gandalf the grey was spotted in the misty mountains, was on the loose and apparently heading for my lands'.

Whitesnake took a gulp of wine, sighed dramatically and looked troubled. 'Yes, Gandalf. That wizard is almost always trouble. I remember that last time I saw him he caused no end of problems. It took me months to sort out his doings. I decided this needed investigating. I........' Whitesnake then paused thinking of something. 'I don't think I've introduced myself. There's me telling you of my tales and I don't even know your name. My name is Whitesnake. Edward Whitesnake. Lord Edward Whitesnake actually. But no need for titles here who are you and .....' Whitesnake grinned to himself, what he was about to say was a cliche, but as he said himself often, the reason that cliches become cliches is because they work, 'if you don't mind my asking, what brings a nice elf-lady like yourself to a place like this?'

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

A month ago in February? What was this man talking about? Had he had too much to drink already? Last time Barufiniel checked, it had been December. But he didn't seem to be out of his mind with drink. Perhaps he was only trying to confuse her.

But he seemed to be worried about Gandalf? Why would that be? Could he be up to something that Gandalf would disapprove of? She would have to be careful and not let him charm her overmuch. That casual mentioning of titles, and then dismissing them - well, she could out-title him herself, if it came to that. Diluted by now, sure enough, but there was royal Noldorin blood running in her veins. She straightened herself unconsciously.

"I am Barufiniel, daughter of Rameldir," she answered to his question. "My father used to be the chief archer in Elrond's army - but he left Rivendell a couple of hundred years ago, and now he's gone to the West with my mother.
If you mean what brings me here to Tharbad, I believe I already mentioned that I'm spending the winter here, waiting to go on to Rivendell - I've come with a small company of other travellers all the way up from Rohan, and some of them have decided to go no further, but settle down here, rather than go to Rivendell with me.
But if you mean what brings me to this particular Inn, then all I can say is that I happened to come upon this nice valley while I was taking a walk, and as I hadn't seen it before, I decided to explore a little. Then when I reached this Inn, it seemed the perfect place for a rest before going back. You know it, perhaps? Do you frequent this place? It has such a peculiar name - The Lost Inn. Do you happen to know why?"

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake thought for a few moments before replying. So, this Elf-lady was new to this inn was she? She might find it's nature a little confusing, he chuckled to himself. Now Whitesnake had been here a few times in the past year, he found it a good place to relax sometimes, but he wouldn't class himself as a regular yet. But it seemed that he knew something which Barufiniel didn't. Whitesnake did need to talk to someome at least. So he said 'Yes, I think I do know some idea of how this Inn works. It is an odd title you're right about that. I have also encountered Elf archers from Rivendell', he didn't say that some of those encounters involved him hiding from their arrows.

Whitesnake continued, 'I am prepared to make you an offer. I will tell you what I know about this Inn and what I know about Rivendell. But in return, you will listen to at least the first part of my tale. I have had rather a traumatic time recently.' Whitesnake looked as sorrowful as he could trying to obtain Barufiniel's sympathy.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

He had met elf archers at Rivendell? Hardly her father, though, as he hadn't been there for so long, Barufiniel thought. But Whitesnake's deal was good enough - she really wanted to hear about this Inn and - what did he say - 'how it works'? That's a strange way of putting it ...

"I don't mind listening to your traumas for a while," she said, smiling and trying to sound reassuring, as he might need some cheering up. "But as you suggest, first of all tell me about the Inn. I've heard a lot about Rivendell, but my father never mentioned this Inn - and you make it sound like something special."

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Tell her the nature of the Inn? Whitesnake thought. Well, he could, though it might confuse her at first. He took a sip of his wine. Then he explained 'It certainly is, well unique shall we say. Now, pay attention, my dear, this can be confusing and I don't want to say it much more than once. This Inn does not really have a precise location at all. That means, one can find it at any place, or more importantly, time in Middle-earth, or some say elsewhere. I can find this from the grassland on the border of Mirkwood and you can find it from where did you say you were from Tharbad?' Whitesnake had heard of Tharbad a bustling town far west of the mountains, though he had never travelled quite that far.

'To explain further, this inn exists completely independently of the normal geography of Middle-earth. It is outside the space/time vortex maybe outside the void itself and follows its own laws of casualty. Now that makes everything perfectly clear!'. Actually Whitesnake thought he might have over-complicated his explanation so he decided to use some examples, 'That is to say. I have in my short time here spoken to someone who lives in Gondor in the fourth age. Unfortunately too far in the fourth age to help me, and also to an Elf from the army of Gil-Galad. I have sat opposite a women whose husband was about to leave for the battle of unnumbeard tears and told her not to expect him home anytime soon! I have even spoken to Beleg Cuthlien. I told him to beware his friend Turin. He even had the bloody cheek to tell me that I was trying to split them up! Surprisingly I haven't seen him since', Whitesnake finished sarcastly.

'Mind you, I have heard that Beleg only followed Turin all those centuries ago in the first age out of unswearving loyalty, friendship without personal gain in the faint hope that he could help his companion.' Whitesnake almost spat out the last few words like they were curses, 'I mean, no wonder he came to a bad end with such an unwise outlook on life. Now I personally come from the year 2063 in the third age. I suspect that you come from my future as you mentioned Rohan and I have vaguely heard of it, but it does not exist in my time.'

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

The Wood between the Worlds, Barufiniel thought. What I read about in King Frank's memoirs. That's the closest similarity to this place - how fascinating!

"Yes, it makes everything perfectly clear," she nodded. "It's very interesting - I have heard about something that resembles it, but that's not a place you may just run into. It's a wood that's not really located anywhere, either. But from that wood you can go to other places - other worlds. The wood is full of small pools, and when you go into a pool, you travel to one particular world, like through a special portal.
I suppose you can go to the world of Middle-earth from there, and you can go to the world of Narnia - that's the world where I was born, even though my parents were Elves of Middle-earth - and countless other worlds which I have never heard about," she laughed.

"My parents got there through a different kind of portal, though. You can only reach that wood by touching matter that is taken out of the wood and wants to get back - I've only read about one person who managed to collect such matter, and he made some other people go there - but there are other portals that you might walk through by accident.
My parents were leaving Rohan a couple of months ago, and when they passed between two particular trees, they disappeared out of Middle-earth. They lived for a long time in the world of Narnia, and I was born there - and when I was told to walk back between those same two trees five hundred years later, I got back to the very same day they left from. In the autumn of the year 2758 in the Third Age."

Barufiniel nodded again.
"Yes, that would be your future," she said. "Tharbad would be a great city in your time. But the bridge isn't used much these days, and Tharbad is just a small town now - north of Rohan, which has been established only a few centuries ago.
At your time my parents would be recently married and living at Rivendell. Does this mean that I could join you and go back and visit them? Now that would be messing up history, wouldn't it? You only said that you've met people in here - perhaps this Inn doesn't have any portals."

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Whitesnake replied, 'Messing up history. No we couldn't possibly do that could we? At least so people tell me. Personally, I wouldn't mind in changing a few things in order to make my current life more comfortable. But, never mind. No, this Inn doesn't have, Portals did you say, I persume you mean methods of passing through different dimensions. I have heard of the theory of that although I can't think of anyone in my country actually doing it. In my court, we have a sage who is always telling tales of that sort. Only they are mostly totally confusing and he is known to everyone as Mad Micheal Moorcock.'

Whitesnake paused and thought for a bit. He wasn't really sure why, but he did feel the need to talk about his receant past to Barufiniel. Only problem was that he rather suspected they were on opposite sides. Although if she was 700 years in his future he couldn't really tell her anything which would hurt him or his master's plans apart from in the far future and never mind that. Barufiniel said nothing so he took that as a signal to continue.
'In fact, it was just after my last visit here that my troubles really began. I was on the Central Eastern borders of the Misty Mountains, when I saw some riders galloping towards me on the road. From a distance I recognized Lord Melchit my main supervisor. He caught up with me and hailed me. I had little choice so I sighed and met him to find what news he had. "Ah, greeting, Whitesnake, I'm glad I met you here, I heard you were around here. I have a little job for you", "oh, yes, indeed" I nearly groaned with a little forebodding "oh, don't look like that Whitesnake, it should be fairly simple. Now you are aware of our Lord the Necromancer's plans of invasion of the lower plains between Mirkwood and the Misty Mountains? Yes, I know you are. Just to recaputalate, the Necromancer feels that there are resources in those lands which would be very useful to him and that the people there do not give it to him, or his trusted advisors for free, so he has decided the time is ripe to take it from them. Very good," I decided to make a little point to Melchit "Why does he have to always think of expanding? We have a reasonable life in Bushy, Why do we have to take upon this possibly dangerous undertaking?" "Because that's his policy, snakey. He is very generous to the admitedly small group of people who support him. As one of those is you, I will thank you to obey his commands", Well, I suppose Melchit did have a point. I don't always have to like the orders I am given, I get rewarded well to follow them.

"Very well, so what do you want me to do?" I asked. "I want you to go across these mountains, visit Rivendell where you have been before and try to find out how much the Elves know about the current state of the wild. Should be a piece of cake. I'll even give you two of my servants, Baldrick and George, I'm sure you'll get on well." Hmmmm, thought I. Piece of cake says he. Not very likely. Those mountains are inhabited by Giants, fell creatures and many Orcs. Now although the Orcs are officially on our side, sometimes they can forget. Oh, and Baldrick and George. I had met them before, although I didn't at that stage know them as unfortunately well as I do know. "why me?" I asked again "Because you're so good at it my lad. So I am given you these direct instructions. You do know the price for disobediance is instant execution, even for you?" "There's no need to spell that out. Fine I'll do it", "Splendid" said Melchit happily and with a farewell wave he galloped off into the Misty evening air. I looked at Baldrick who is a very small, bearded weady man with an unfortunate smell around him and George is a man about my size, thin, young and with a yearning to please. I looked at the Misty Mountains. They looked tall, impassive and ominous in the evening sky.'

[ 05-13-2007, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help