Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn: A Word Aside (Page 4)
Author Topic: The Lost Inn: A Word Aside
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps she could ask some questions? []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At this moment, Whitesnake is probably thinking that we need a bigger table!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Questions asked. Confusion remains. []
From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Questions answered. Confusion confirmed. []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And golden-haired Elf-boy is all alone. []

And Fëanáro is less than impressed. []

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rather hard for Whitesnake to impress one of the ancient and powerful lords of the Noldor. But he never thought it was going to be easy! If any of your characters wish for an explanation of the nature of the Inn, Whitesnake could give one perhaps as he is quite comfortable with it. Weather it will be a clear explanation, I'm not sure!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Golden-haired Elf-boy may come back. []
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This reader is curious and hopes he will!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I like Brae's description of Whitesnake as an odd-looking human. Just about sums his appearance up!
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well... just about any human is odd-looking to Lóridrê. []

So, I think my elf is almost over her confusion. [] She dearly wants to talk to her father - but isn't sure what to say - and she's interested in what Valinor has to offer. []

Anyhoo, I love what this RP is doing for my word-count goal this year. [] On average, I'm supposed to write 100 words/day. Thanks to this RP, I'm now six days ahead! []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

There is another RP that could help your word-count as well, you know ;-)

Just a flash-back from Valkyr, and then I could play her again until she was back at the House she left in the morning.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

I need to get the "little girl lost" part of my brain in working order before I try to write for Theft again. [] Valkyr has, unfortunately, become more difficult to grasp as the months tick by. []

E (Mar 28th MT-time): Lori's conversation with her father will go by un-RP'd. I'll note down what could be said between them and return her to the main table when her father leaves. []

[ 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Just a technical matter, Hamfast:

Could you please add another blank line wherever there's a new paragraph in your latest post? It's far too massive at the moment.

I'll read it when it becomes easier to read.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Oh, yeah, sorry, I sometimes foget about lines between paragraphs! I can do paragraphs, but I sometimes foget about the lines between them. In another place it seems to be done automatocally when one does paragraphs! Anyway, it's done now!
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"The Lost Inn" ... * muses a moment * ... Yes, this would make the perfect stop-off for a young Elvish lad of my acquaintance.

Am not entirely certain whether he'd be dead or living at this point. Young Daerohil had fallen under Maladil's curse for the greater part of an Age, together with those others who made up the Thirteen condemned to the Castle. The hardness of such undeserved punishment may have called for an undeserved favor of equal magnitude. ... Or not, in which case the propitious part of the matter is that he would still, I would imagine, be granted the liberty of seeing and experiencing somewhat of Middle Earth in ghost form before sailing to rejoin his anxious parents in the Blessed Realm.

Well, anyways you can rest assured that the lad will brighten up any Inn with an open door, and will gladly work to pay his way. At the thought of freedom after century on century of unchanging bondage where even the horses he was set to care for had died, Daerohil immediately ran and skipped his way off the Castle grounds quick as a wind through the reeds without even imagining that he was due any of the treasure. No, all that was left behind by all of the Thirteen, which had not been stolen by Orcs, unfaithful servants, or burgling adventurers, was left for those who lifted the curse to share.

* suddenly remembers his own share in the treasure, the engraved copper watch, small and somewhat battered, that still lay in his belt pouch and must be delivered to the mathom house in the Shire as an historical keepsake ... most unusual for an item belonging to an ancient Hobbit to have turned up in an Elvish stronghold, but that was another adventure ... *

And perhaps I too will peek inside The Lost Inn briefly. A glass of red wine would be welcome. []

Gandalf the Grey

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Yes! There are inns and stories aplenty that would gladly welcome you. []
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very kind of you, Varnafindë:

And your kindness is most appreciated. * nods *

Please forgive my delay in responding to you. I've been waiting to see if anyone else would post before I jump in. Firstly, to see if there were any sort of objections or suggestions about my proposed character Daerohil ... (who, after thinking about it, should at this point remain a ghost seeking help regarding a journey to the Grey Havens).

And secondly, because I would rather not wind up posting in an atmosphere where the only other sounds are crickets and silence ... Sad for a ghost to be the liveliest one in a place, if you take my meaning, and sadder still to be the only one at all in a place.

This will be my last post before I leave tomorrow on a weekend journey to the North, with an expected return here on Monday.

Looking forward to coming back and adventuring ... somewhere ... with someone ... should such be possible.

Farewell for now,

Gandalf the Grey

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

I think there are plenty of people posting here that you won't have to worry about chirping crickets. []

Glad to have more people! []

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Thank you for your kindness, Amárië . * bows good greetings * []

Character Bio ---

Name: Daerohil

Race: Elf

Date of Birth: December 1, 2791 of the Second Age

Date of Death: on a dark Friday the 13th in the year 2799 of the Second Age

Place of Birth: Imladris

Place of Death: Castle Maladil (also called “Laurëondo” in Elvish, which translates to “Goldstone”), near Tharbad

Hair: Chestnut Brown

Eyes: Hazel

Personality: Friendly, bright, playful, kind, good-natured, naïve.

Backstory:

To properly tell the history of the ghostly stable lad Daerohil, it becomes necessary to relate the bitter history of Maladil himself.

Late in the Second Age, Maladil forfeited his Elvish immortality to marry Adela, a mortal woman. They had a son named Kenelm, a daughter named Calimiel, and ten beloved servants, one of whom was Daerohil.

All was well until Adela died. Then, Maladil bemoaned his earlier decision. One night after smashing glasses and bottles against the bricks of the fireplace in a drunken rage, he swore a mad oath that unless Kenelm sailed West and convinced the Valar to restore his immortality, his fëa would refuse to depart Middle Earth, but remain inside the castle through all eternity, though his body die. Maladil further swore that neither would the Valar take his children or servants the way his wife had been taken, and that Kenelm, Calimiel, and all his servants would share his fate.

That very week, Orcs raided the Castle and slew all the inhabitants in their sleep. But the Orcs stole away no treasure, for the ghosts of Maladil, Kenelm, Calimiel, and the servants drove off those who would dare disturb the precious metals and other finery.

The ghosts guarded the dread fastness for the length of an Age. Maladil would shake the foundations of his Castle with angry pacing footfalls and the stormy shrieks of one gone insane. Kenelm played a harp with missing strings, singing softly of his captivity. Calimiel tended the ancient herb gardens, reputedly containing plants no longer in existence anywhere else in Middle Earth in what had become the Third Age. Some servants wept, while others resigned to their boredom passed the time with chores to take their mind off their horror. Daerohil, finding himself among dead horses, would play a solitary version of “hide-and-seek.”

Finally, a Council of Rangers held near Sarn Ford determined there was an increasing level of peril in the vicinity of the Castle at Tharbad. It was determined that a company set out to lift Maladil’s curse. The company, led by Mithrandir, was successful despite opposition from some of the very ghosts whom they were trying to rescue. Daerohil found himself free to leave the Castle grounds of his long imprisonment, and is now making his ghostly way to the Grey Havens to sail West, in hopes of being reunited with his parents in the Blessed Realm.

[ 04-08-2008, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
Date of Birth: December 1, 2791 of the Second Age

Date of Death: on a dark Friday the 13th in the year 2799 of the Second Age

He was only 8 years old when he died - and then he's been a ghost for about thirty centuries? [] Poor lad ... []

Yes, do let him enter the Lost Inn on his way westwards ... []

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Glad you're enjoying this Mandin. Assuming that you are, of course! And I hope you like Whitesnake. Or perhaps should that be don't like Whitesnake! In a certain pantomine bad guy type of way!
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm enjoying seeing the concept behind the Lost Inn taken and run with so long after I started it. To be honest, when there's so many new posts, I can't catch up with them all in one sitting, and I'm in the middle of studying for law-school finals anyway. So I don't know enough about what's going on yet to like or dislike much of anything or anybody. If I'm lucky (which I almost certainly won't be), I'll read everything here and in the inn and then maybe even start actually posting.
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

It's nice to see you around, Mandin!

This is Curu, btw. []

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Ah, Curu, I had no idea. Good to see you about.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn: A Word Aside (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help