Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn: A Word Aside (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Lost Inn: A Word Aside
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have not yet posted The Lost Inn thread, but I have the initial post written out, and presently, I may or may not post it.

A while back, I had an inn called the Polygon where stayed the company of RPers from the Theft of Umbar. They stayed for a couple of days, we all had a pleasant time, and then they resumed their jounrey in their ToU thread.
Then the Polygon jumped forward five hundred years, making it impossible for the Theft of Umbar company, or any other RPers, from enjoying the inn any further in the course of their quests.
Thus, I thought of The Lost Inn which is bound neither by time nor place. It lies in a little valley in the wilderness, but which wilderness and in what time does not have to be constant. If you are in Finrod's latest Rohanian RP set post War of the Rings, you could be riding over the plains of Rohan and come upon two hills and an inn that you have never seen before, and so stay a while. Or, you could be in the pre hobbit Theft of Umbar and be riding through desolate Hollin and come upon The Lost Inn. Or, you could be in any number of other Middle-earth RPs, and find this inn in the course of your journeying.

If this sounds like a ridiculous idea, I will not bother to post the thread. If, on the other hand, there is some positive response by tomorrow (Threadmasters' responses would be the most valuable) I'll post the actual thread.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You've got my attention Mandin and I'm interested. How will the characters from the various threads come to your inn, be it through dreams like the Cottage of Lost Play or be it a stopped moment in time?
From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, sounds very interesting! In "Walking Through Fire" they will be on a journey soon, and perhaps they could find this inn.

Very fascinating idea, I think!

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly sounds interesting, Mandin!

Is it a proper place for ladies? If so, Lothíriel may think of visiting.

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not through dreams, I think, good Oro, but perhaps things will get a bit dream like before one stumbles upon it.
Example:
As the questing party made their way over the endless plain of South Harad, they came of a sudden into some hills and trees. And the shadows cast by the trees, and the sluggish breeze that went through them, seemed to put a drousy mood upon the travelers. So they went more slowly as though wearily, and they wanted a place to rest, and then they saw two hills ahead of them, and in the valley between was The Lost Inn.

However, Oro, continuing on, I think that a stopped moment in time would not be a bad idea at all. Though the people coming would not necessarily know, though they would probably figure it out after their first visit [] .

Anoren, you are welcome to come when it is made, if you still have the interest.

Finrod, yes, it is an excellent place for ladies. And since you are an extremely prolific RPer, I imagine you'll be bringing me many patrons. Imagine if you came in as one person from one RP and then as another person from another RP. That would be interesting [] .

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Edit...

I have two characters and one subcharacter from three differant RP's!! That would interesting if all three of them ended up in the inn at the same time.
*falls over at the thought of it* []

[ 12-20-2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Dancing Sparrow ]

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Edit: lol at the Dancing Sparrow. Yes, that would be amusing, and deserves a falling down or two.

[ 12-20-2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

Sâlienne de Lioncourt
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2570

posted      Profile for Sâlienne de Lioncourt   Author's Homepage   Email Sâlienne de Lioncourt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, think that's an awesome idea!

[ 12-20-2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Sâlienne de Lioncourt ]

From: the Black Pearl | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Thank you, Lion.
I was going to start the thread tonight, but will not now because of a spark of life in my dear old Polygon Inn found in the Ivy Bush. I am going to talk with my assistant Berek, and see what he says, and then I will see whether or not I will start this inn. I probably will, and it will probably be on Saturday or Sunday.

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Because of the peculiar nature of this inn, there are some lumps in it that need ironing out. I would like any of you, if you see any of these lumps, or know of any good ways to flatten them, please go right ahead with your comments.

Here is one thing that I must make clear.
If say Mr A comes in The Lost Inn (TLI) in the year 2002 in the middle of Ithilien, he leaves in the year 2002 in the middle of IThilien. He cannot join up with Mr B who has come to TLI in the year 1001 in the middle of Dunland. If they both leave TLI together, Mr B will find himself still in Dunland, and Mr A will find himself still in Ithilien. While they are inside of TLI they interact naturally together (and probably have rather unatural conversations with eachother) but when they leave, everything goes back to normal.

The reasoning behind this, for anyone who is ineterested, is that Mr B entering into the RP story line of Mr A, or visa-versa, could screw things up royally. We could have a whole Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court happening, and not just once, but dozens of times, messing up the fabric of MT's RPs, and maybe causing some RPs to look with disgust on TLI and ignore it altogether as though it didn't exist.

Another thing that I should add, is that since TLI has no defined location upon Middle Earth, there is no particular place that, if you are walking by, you are obligated to at least see the inn. Thus, the inn can only exist within particular RPs if some RPer within that RP writes about how the company of that RP comes up to it. At the point the company enters TLI, the RPers would then cease posting in their RP for a time and post in the TLI just as if they had entered an actual building. If you are confused how this would work, talk with Oro or look into the Polygon's early pages. Also, if I were in an RP, I would first get the OK from the threadmaster before adding the TLI to your RP, as the threadmaster may be vehemently against the whole idea.

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Your faithful assassin, er assistant thinks it is a wonderful idea, Mandin.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Why thank you, Thorin. I shall be starting it now.

And to all, another thing. You do not have to be a part of an RP to join. You can join just as you would any other inn, however, as was the Polygon, this is a strictly RPI (Role Playing Inn). None of this chit chat stuff like what we get in the PP.

Aylah the Wind Sister
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2740

posted      Profile for Aylah the Wind Sister   Author's Homepage   Email Aylah the Wind Sister   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another thing that I should add, is that since TLI has no defined location upon Middle Earth, there is no particular place that, if you are walking by, you are obligated to at least see the inn. Thus, the inn can only exist within particular RPs if some RPer within that RP writes about how the company of that RP comes up to it. At the point the company enters TLI, the RPers would then cease posting in their RP for a time and post in the TLI just as if they had entered an actual building.
Just to make things a slight bit clearer, if anyone has read the book The Secret of Platform 13, the inn entrences work roughly like the gumps, they are all over the place, and if you enter through one, it will make you go back through the same way, at the same time.

I have an idea too, Mandin. why don't we have the inn have something like, I dunno, a bunch oif doors that open from different places(and therefore lead you back through that exac6t door, back into the place and area where you came from).

From: lets just say I have a ton of washing to do... | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Thank your for the suggestion. After reading it, I have thought about it, but would prefer to not have it that way.
Yours,
Mandin

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

By the bye, the Lost Inn is open for business.
Leire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1770

posted      Profile for Leire   Email Leire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Might a person of indefinite time period wander in looking for an adventure that seemed suiting? I believe I met an elf on the way here that might be seeking such adventure . . . []
From: MO | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wasn't exactly in any particular RP, but was just looking for an Inn. Sorry if I dont fit into the story.

Lu

From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So the Lost Inn is not so lost any more? []
I might try a bit of Inn-RPing - perhaps next week - I really don't have the time just now ... []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teron
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6101
posted      Profile for Teron   Author's Homepage   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, mandin.
Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've introduced the idea in my RP "Road to Rivendell" - Barufiniel will find the Inn, and others may join her later, if they like.

Edit:
And we see the strange effect of the timelessness of this Inn: Whitesnake comes in from a spring evening, and Barufiniel comes in from a December day at lunchtime, but inside the Lost Inn, those differences disappear.

[ 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this idea sounds good, so I think it may be time to say a few things about Whitesnake. He is, as I think I have said not a very nice man. In fact, he works for Sauron. Although, he doesn't know of Sauron by his name, he thinks of him as the Necromancer even if Whitesnake considers the Necromancer's name at all. However, he is an intelligent and indeed independent person, and while he may works sometimes for the Necromancer, occasionally he and the Dark lord's plans contradict, in those circumstances, Whitesnake is quite prepared to stick two fingers up to the Necromancer and go his own way. In that respect, I suppose that he is a little like Gollum, although in the case of Whitesnake he is of noble birth, quite pampered and fortunate, well-dressed, connected and charming in many ways, though as his personally is rather selfish does not always see how fortunate he really is.

Now, he comes from the country controlled by Dol Guldor, south of Mirkwood which in later times would be called the brown lands and as he enters the lost inn he comes from - I look this up - the year 2063 of the third age. If Barufiniel just guesses east of the misty mountains as he is in a generous mood he will accept this.

The funny thing is, that I was thinking of starting Whitesnake's tale at Rivendell. Although this would be Rivendell around 500 years before Barufiniel and of course Whitesnake would be coming from the East. I don't think he's been very further west of the misty mountains. But perhaps he might have some clue for Barufiniel as to the direction? assuming that she really wants it now. Which maybe he might if he likes her suggest. There is a saying from Gandalf in the two towers that 'Oft from Evil will Evil marr' I think, or something like that, that is where I get the idea of the character of Whitesnake from.

[ 04-28-2007, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I'll make her a little suspicious of him, then. And I'm using your suggestion for her guessing ...

Rohan wouldn't even be established yet at his time, would it?
And her parents would be living in Rivendell, recently married.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, Rohan wouldn't have been established at the time, although Whitesnake has had dealings with their ancestors in the North. I hope you don't mind me playing a character who isn't really nice, he is actually based on a character from one of my favorite TV programs in the past and I have thought he would be perfect for middle-earth, in particular because I don't think him and Hobbits would get on well, I don't think he'd appreciate their unswearvingly cheerful attitude to life!

I wonder how he is going to explain the nature of the inn to Barufiniel? He is going to have to somehow give away the fact he is from 2063, but how? I haven't read road to Rivendell totally, only parts of it. But I think I will, I've been looking for something to read.

The other problem I am having is place names. Most of Whitesnake's tale takes place in the wild around the misty mountains and Mirkwood. Some of these countries haven't really been named by anyone, so I might have to think of a few up. Usually, I just think of some real place names and use them. Would that be OK?

[ 04-30-2007, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Well, Barufiniel would be the most likely person in her company to understand about coming from a different time, and about a place that is an in-between-thing and not really a part of any of the times. She will probably think, Oh, that's nearly like that wood which they tell that the Lord Digory and the Lady Polly came through on the day when the world was created. []

Please use some fairly generic names then. Or try to construct them from the landscape, like Littlewood, Longbrook, Silverhill, or something like that. I found a discussion that talks about this kind of place names: read this to see whether you get any suggestions.

I'll only make a short post now, because I'm in a little bit of a rush, but I'd like to make you able to post again []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Ok, I've posted again. I've been reading a bit more of road to Rivendell and am finding it rather good. I particularly like that character with the talking dog, I think. I really ought to read some more of the tales in the Green Dragorn, there are one or two gems there. One thing which I am wondering about is does Barufiniel have pointy-ears or not? I would prefer it if she did, because then Whitesnake can say 'Ah, I can tell you're an Elf by the pointy ears' and seem smug.

[ 05-01-2007, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Lost Inn: A Word Aside (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help