Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Role-Plays of Minas Tirith: Links and Summaries [RFP] (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Role-Plays of Minas Tirith: Links and Summaries [RFP]
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you Mandin and Braeden very good descriptions both, you perfectly sum up what my signature represents for oldbies in the Green Dragon.
Éomer you become an oldbie when you stop asking when you are not a newbie. An oldbie is not a citizen number (Though it does add to it to some extent) but it's an attitude, a way of presenting oneself to the rest of Minas Tirith and a way of communicating with the other members here through less juvenile and meaningless posts.

Though whether one is a newbie or not doesn't account for much these days, Minas Tirith has been over-run by newbies using Minas Tirith as a chat room for juvenile talk. Once upon a time the Green Dragon was a place where the more learned and more sensible citizens came to tell fantastic stories some lasting mere days others for years and still running. But even these really good, well structured role plays are a thing of the past with hastily thrown together role plays with very little or nil planning or research and even worse grammar when people post. Story telling (or role playing call it what you will) is an art and something that should not be ridiculed the way it is beginning to now.

Ah well, such is life. Some people just don't like change I guess and I happen to be one of them.

Yours sincerely as one of the last stones against the rising black tide,

Adanedhel

[ 01-27-2004, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Éomer you become an oldbie when you stop asking when you are not a newbie. An oldbie is not a citizen number (Though it does add to it to some extent) but it's an attitude, a way of presenting oneself to the rest of Minas Tirith and a way of communicating with the other members here through less juvenile and meaningless posts.
Actually, it was kind of a joke. It doesn't particularly matter to me whether I'm a newbie or an oldie/oldbie (I prefer oldie [] ).

quote:
But even these really good, well structured role plays are a thing of the past with hastily thrown together role plays with very little or nil planning or research and even worse grammar when people post. Story telling (or role playing call it what you will) is an art and something that should not be ridiculed the way it is beginning to now.
Here I agree with you. The first seven or eight months I spent here I was in a ton of wonderfully written RP threads (pretty much all of them were never finished, sadly), and I probably spent most of my time at MT in the Green Dragon, but then I started drifting away and ignoring threads I'd said I would participate in (which I still feel horrible about, but I couldn't help it, that was a pretty down time for me overall [] ). But recently I've kinda recharged my batteries, so to speak (as evidenced by my posting increase [] ) and came back here looking to get back into the roleplaying scene to find the old place had become either very slow and inactive or populated with newer arrivals and stories that, frankly (and no offense to those who created them) didn't interest me.

Of course, I could create my own threads, but I tried that once and it kinda fell apart on me, mainly due to a lack of planning on my part, which led to a loss of interest. []

Anyways, I'm sorry for going off-track, I didn't mean to make the thread deviate like it has. I'll stop now.

[ 01-27-2004, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But even these really good, well structured role plays are a thing of the past with hastily thrown together role plays with very little or nil planning or research and even worse grammar when people post. Story telling (or role playing call it what you will) is an art and something that should not be ridiculed the way it is beginning to now.
I agree. This forum used to be my home on the internet, but I just can't bear to be here anymore. I've taken my RP elsewhere. And this is the first time I've opened this forum in months, because it just hurts so much to remember what it was and see what it is now. Role play is not a chance to fantasize being kissed by Legolas (which is what a lot of RP seems to be, both on this board and on others), it is a chance to explore in-depth the characters and relationships between the characters in order to gain an better understanding of the subject matter.

*sighs*

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that it's OK with everyone here for me to add my thoughts; I'll delete this post if someone objects. I am participating in Braeden's "Death" RPG, which is essentially a spoof and moves rather slowly, but which seems to be entertaining, and of high quality nonetheless. I'd like to join one or two other RPGs here, including The Stage Coach, but I am unsure of the future direction of this forum in particular, and this message board as a whole.

Several of you have made excellent points regarding the problems that arise elsewhere, but ultimately impinge on the threads in the Green Dragon. I think that to be a good role-player or storyteller, a citizen has to relinquish a bit of control over the way in which he or she is perceived by others. To RP successfully in the context of Tolkien's world, one can't always be perfect, physically beautiful, invincible, possessed of genius, gifted with ridiculous weaponry, romantically irresistible, etc. IMHO, many people who post endlessly in the mindless inns and "all about me!"-type threads are never going to make decent role-players, because they can't get outside the narrow box of the self-image they wish others to accept without question. Role-playing in the context of Middle-earth has the potential to be a very creative, interactive, entertaining, and rewarding exercise, but I fear for its future.

Just my two small coins from Smaug's treasure... []

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gna, I agree with you entirely, and that is one of the main reasons I role play mainly men, even though I am female. I find I can distance myself from them enough that I don't get as emotionally involved, and I feel I can write them more fairly. REAL PEOPLE are not perfect. They have flaws, and I think it is important that good RP'ers PLAY those flaws. Perfection is boring and unrealistic.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
~Bernadette Devlin
http://www.shonjir.net

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aylah the Wind Sister
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2740

posted      Profile for Aylah the Wind Sister   Author's Homepage   Email Aylah the Wind Sister   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yes Eomer, you would be a middie. I think it is actually a midbie, but you know, whatever. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
A - Y - L - A - H. A-la. as in hay-lah, without the h.
"I'd better get my "Ride for ruin and the world's ending!" and "Death! Death! Death! DEATH!" the way it's supposed to be or heads will roll."~ Eomer
"Ah, what shall we play now? How about Chutes and Latter Day Saints? Or maybe Cardinal Land? Maybe Eternal Life? Pin the tail on the doctrine? Hungry Hungry Heretics?" ~ Talan
"What language is this again? Dumb ass?" ~ Imrahil

From: lets just say I have a ton of washing to do... | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very good.

There seems there is hope for Minas Tirith's role playing at least. I know not all newbies are juvenile post junkies with bad grammar and there are some that come here and straight away fit into the "oldie" mould. But these are very few and usually are in a Jekel and Hyde scenario, one minute the responsible oldie, the next a crazed post junkie.
I suppose it doesn't matter that much, oldies are a dying breed, the true oldies anyway. There are "oldies" according to the newbies who are just old newbies and then there are the original "oldies" like Mandin and Lug just to name two. I remember once upon a time if you were an oldie you had respect from others and were listened to when you posted, now that is a thing of the past.

Look at this way.

Minas Tirith could slowly decay and turn into a massive chat room under the pretense of a Tolkien related board but in truth it would be a gigantic chat room for people to spout rubbish at a phenomenal rate.

Or

Minas Tirith could become better over time as the newbies grew out of their juvenile ways.

Then again when you have a lot of newbies together and more coming in every day they tend to stagnat and even the ones that do come through that are above that end up being swallowed whole.
All we can really do is watch and wait, but a lot of Minas Tirith's citizens have left because of what's been happening here. The others stay because they honestly love the place and can find refuge in some places.

Speaking of refuges..

What ever happened to the Hall Of Merethrond?

Adanedhel

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aylah the Wind Sister
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2740

posted      Profile for Aylah the Wind Sister   Author's Homepage   Email Aylah the Wind Sister   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Minas Tirith could become better over time as the newbies grew out of their juvenile ways.
That would truely be nice. unfortunately I doubt it will happen soon... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
A - Y - L - A - H. A-la. as in hay-lah, without the h.
"I'd better get my "Ride for ruin and the world's ending!" and "Death! Death! Death! DEATH!" the way it's supposed to be or heads will roll."~ Eomer
"Ah, what shall we play now? How about Chutes and Latter Day Saints? Or maybe Cardinal Land? Maybe Eternal Life? Pin the tail on the doctrine? Hungry Hungry Heretics?" ~ Talan
"What language is this again? Dumb ass?" ~ Imrahil

From: lets just say I have a ton of washing to do... | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What ever happened to the Hall Of Merethrond?
It was visited now and then, but never to the extent of its early days. The Pony is currently filled to the brim with either political/religious discussion or “chatting” threads.

Role-playing in the Pony just isn’t seen as a grand thing anymore – sadly, I’ve experienced the turnaround in my own “inn”. The reasons are that RPing is too slow, and it's difficult to work out what’s going on when you have to write so much. Well, fast-post chats are difficult to work out when everything is happening so hurriedly. []

IMO, I think the Hall of Merethrond would be better off in The Green Dragon. There the Eldar (and wise Followers) will be better able to keep a track of the thread, and anyone else who wants to join would be of the role-playing mind. It would also have a better chance of staying on the main page for more than half a second. []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would very much like to join an RP, but I find them quite difficult to follow and I'm not sure I'd be any good at it.

Also.... [] ...I have read a couple of recent ones and, um, I didn't think they were very good.
*cringes ready for the blow*
Sorry, but it seemed a lot of people in them were trying to be the "coolest" character and not really following plot development.

I will try and read a few more and see - the good ones seem to have lal the characters they need though.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*pushes Athene towards Death*

Barasa would love to have someone else to play with. []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*is scared, but also tempted* []
*will read up* []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have asked before whether this thread does anybody any good, and now I have a way to find out.
First, here's my inquirey: Should we request that WGW makes this thread a sticky thread? As long as it keeps getting knocked to the bottom of the forum, the chances of a newbie looking for RPs finding it are fairly slim.
So, how do I find out if this thread is at least potentially helpful? Well, everybody with an opinion, tell me whether I should or should not make the request of WGW. If ten or more people tell me yes, then I will do so, provided that there are not more people saying no. So basically, it's a democracy, but the yeah's will only win if there are ten or more of them. This way, I will not only get the answer to my question, but I will also see what kind of traffic this rusty old place gets and I will see if there is enough interest in the thing to even warrant it being made a sticky thread.
edit: an alternative would be to keep this thread as it stands so that people helping me with it and people with comments can continue to post here. They know what thread they're looking for, and can find it, even if it is burried under pages of lethargic and active RPs. In the meantime, I could post to the original resource sticky thread and have that post be the entire, exhaustive list of the RPs

[ 04-02-2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
STICK IT!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Sonofabitch I'm sick of these dolphins." ~Steve Zissou

From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

Aye, sticky it.

And I’ll get a description to you for Zâira Nênud ASAP, Mandin. []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think too that it would be a good idea to make it a sticky thread. Not only is it easier to find that way, but it also indicates that this is an important thread.

I must have read it when I first joined, because I recognised it after the first page or so, but I didn't notice it much (didn't realise then what RPing was all about), and when I needed it, I had forgotten that it existed.

For it to be really effective, though, it requires some work on the part of us thread-masters (which I proudly became a week ago, it's much better than becoming Guard of the Citadel! Well, that's part of a different discussion).

We need to update!

I don't think we need to update plot development or character additions. What we do need to update, is the information of whether new RPers are needed/accepted or not. That's one of the most important questions for someone looking for an RP to join.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Barufiniel, yes, I agree that an update would be nice. I'm trying to determine how to best go about this update. Should I start at the top of the list and just start sending threadmaster's a generic PM asking them about the current situation in their RPs? It would enable me to determine all the dead ones, which I would label as such.
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

I'm willing to help you out in such an endeavour, Mandin.
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Thanks Brae!
I think the first step is making sure that every live RP has a description in the thread, becaues it is the live RPs...and especially the RPs that kind of are alive and wish they were fully so...that most importantly need the information about how to join up and get things going again.

I still have yet to figure out a good way to divide the RPs, so I will propose a plan.

Mandin's plan to complete the RP Description thread.
Note, I made this plan up as I went. When I come reread it later, it might not seem like such a great idea, but at the moment, it seems quite desireable. First off, because of its nature, there will never be any confusion as to what threads a particular person is supposed to be doing. Second, seven threads in one week is not very hard, and, furthermore, after your first week, you have two or more weeks of doing nothing, which cuts back from placing any new, regular responsibilities on us. At the moment, I want no new regular responsibilities!

X, Y, & Z are people who have agreed to help including myself.
Week 1: X gets a description from the seven most recently posted to RP threads that are not already included in the RP thread. Their post should be so formatted that all I have to do is copy and paste it into the description thread, all the links, boldened lines, etc, already in place. Information that I like to see are: What RPers are currently part of the RP, is the RP active, is the RP looking for more people (or is it dead?), is the RP smash 'em up or literary...we need to come up with an exact order to deal with these issues in so that every post can be constructed similarly. Also, if anybody has ideas of what else should be included, please help us out.
Week 2: Y does the same as the above with 7 more threads.
Week 3: Z does the same as the above with 7 more threads.
Week 4: Back to X....etc. until we are finished in week T.
Week T+1: X goes through the first 10 threads listed in alphabetical order inside the Description thread to make sure they are up to date. Chances are, X will run into threads that have just recently been worked on, but hey! some of them may actually need an update by then.
Week T+2: Y goes through the next 10.
Week T+3: Z goes through the next 10. Etc. etc. etc. until everything is updated.
This plan will need to be altered slightly as the week goes by. It will not be restricted to a starting number of 3 helpers, and we can accept helpers along the way. Notice, at the start of week one, X will make a note of the 7 most recently posted to RP threads. Other threads may be created during that week. These will merely be marked down and then done by Y. This way, until we move on the 10 thread updates weekly, we will keep up with every single new RP thread. However, once we get into this phase, if we have more than three people, we'll drop one of them from the regular schedule and their task will merely be to keep caught up with all new RPs. Or, if we get somebody volunteering for a task halfway through the campaign, we could put them on hold until the 10 thread update phase at which time their task would be to stay caught up with any new threads.
After the entire plan had been accomplished, one or two of us -- Mandin and one other person would probably be able to do it -- would be perpetual RP police who, at the start of every RP WA, requested from the threadmaster an RP description. In the meantime, the two of us would be responsible for general RP information upkeep -- maybe a monthly thing - as well as responsible for getting new volunteers any time extensive house cleaning is needed.

I am thinking that all descriptions should be typed up in full UBB code, pasted directly to an e-mail, and then e-mailed to Mandin at Aradruin@yahoo.com with a subject including the words MT RP Descriptions.
Also, if enough people volunteer, I would like to request that I be permitted to abstain from a week of seven RPs since I will already have the ongoing task of looking at and potentially editing the descriptions, making sure the formatting is correct, all the information is extant, and then posting it alphabetically in the thread.
end of Mandin's RP Description thread complete update plan

Anyone with comments on this plan, please speak now. If you have an alternate proposal, please speak now.

Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you an email about Foreigner. woo!
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Thanks, Maha. Very helpful. It took me less than five minutes to get that up. When you do the formatting, it especially helps. By the way, the link is in bold as well, so the initial [b] goes before the [URL].
edit: Maha, you asked in the e-mail if you could be of further service. To start with, read the above plan and tell me what you think.

[ 04-07-2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it sounds like a very good idea! But I'm curious, what about inactive or "dead" RPs? What is to be done about them?
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

They get descriptions in this thread, and they will be labeled as dead. Then, after he finally gets onto the ball, Lugbúrz and a counsel of others will determine what is to be done with them. Some will be reworked into fanfic, some the counsel may attempt to revive, and others may simply remain forever, dead and ultimately worthless, though I don't think any will ever be deleted unless they are first stored in an archive, since WGW is extremely reluctant to get rid of RPs, because it's not a good thing to just go willy nilly and claim that a particular RP is a piece of crap.
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

Ah ok that makes sense. But is there a problem in that only person "X" can update the first post?
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

You mean, is there a problem that the threadmaster (Mandin at the moment, though it is possible that we could make a new thread with somebody else in charge, though unless I am collectively fired, I don't think this is necessary) is the only person who can edit the first post?

Well, since I know nothing about the forum software, I don't know if it is possible to have a thread for which a few citizens have editing rights. Sounds impossible to me.
The other alternative is that each person has a separate post that they edit. The problem with this is that we have no cohesive, alphabetic list. This could be gotten around by forming a new thread, having person X start the thread and so, say, letters A-H, then person Y posts the first post of the thread and maintains letters I-R. Then person Z posts the second post of the thread and maintains letters S-Z. This would make a fairly continuous alphabetical list, still convenient for the user. However, we would not be able to start the plan immediately (as we can with my current proposal, since what threads the person deals with are only determined by latest posts to them) but would first have to determine how to most evenly distribute the work, because simply dividing the alphabet by however many people are going to help us is will give a lopsided thing, since there is not necessarily an even distribution. Now, if we could show that, in the end, things tend to even out, that wouldn't be so hard.

However, I don't see this as necessary, unless people have a problem with Mandin (or a new person, if we so choose) being the one who has the final say in editing the descriptions and adding them in. As long as I am available, I can keep the thread updated, and each entry the way you sent me yours takes me only about four minutes, a total of about half an hour a week....which isn't very significant, so now that I think of it, I could still remain one of the regular X,Y,Z people who does seven RPs a week.

What say you?

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Role-Plays of Minas Tirith: Links and Summaries [RFP] (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help