Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 5)
Author Topic: The Pen and Parchment Inn
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowdog was scratching his head as he contemplated a plotline when he heard a voice ask,

"I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but are you Snowdog of Snowdog's Inn? I have had a few ales there, but I'm not sure you would recognize me. You would appear to be writing!"

Snowdog looked up and nodded, saying,

"Yes, I am the owner of the old inn, & I may have remembered if I was there behind the bar. But I have come here to try and write a tale or two, and maybe talk of writing. How are you doing my good hobbit?"

A slight draft of cooler air was all that announced the coming of a woman through the back. Making her way to the fire to shed a soaked cloak and greeted the patrons. The proprieter of this fine inn Snowdog guessed as his eyes enjoyed her beauty for a moment.

"Good day Miss"

he said as he stood, bowed slightly, then sat back down. The two women obviously knew each other well as they dove deep into conversation. Snowdog looked at what he had written, then at a note sheet, before asking Hamfast,

"I sem to be of two minds. The ranger did indeed dive into the pool from the falls above, and the orcs would not follow, but I can't seem to remember if he turned to do battle before doing so. Dp you think its important to mention that?"

He looked at one version, then another, and again scratched his head...

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neela smiled and nodded to Snowdog before turning to her old friend.

"I have been working on something a little different from my usual stories. Something revolving around the legends of werewolves and vampires..."

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hamfast grinned over his beer, 'These Werewolves and Vampires, are they set in what we might call modern-day world or of the more ancient variety? Hmmmmm, Snowdog, well it depends upon how tough or possibly unwise this Ranger was.' Hamfast smiled cheekily, 'Possibly he took on one or two Orcs then suddenly realized he was in something of an ambush and had to dive dramatically into a river from rocks above to escape their arrows. I like that type of thing. Though you might think that a Ranger would not be fooled by an ambush, but they must have made mistakes sometimes like everyone else.

'Personally I am a bit bogged down in a tale I started in September! It's a bit of a crossover, a triple crossover actually between Dr Who, Harry Potter and the Discworld. But don't worry an Elven-queen will make a cameo and surprising appearance. Elven-queen? I meant Maia-queen actually!'

[ 03-20-2009, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes Hamfast, I see the Rangers as men and so are not absolutely perfect. Anyway, I re-wrote it a bit and changed the dynamics a bit. it ended up being rather sad, and in the histories of my character known as the Battle of Raven Falls."

Snowdog took a drink of the hand-pumped ale before him. then said,

"Been writing an epic in collaboration with my sweet wife these days. Am thinking of how to move the tale along a bit right now."

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thiat was an old post. Strange that tale I referred to. That tale had avert mixed reception. I understand why I suppose if I had written in now I would do things differently. But some didn't like it and said so, yet it also had more people liking it than most I have written.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Snowdog had a word with the bartender of the Pen & Parchment, and afterward, shouted everyone a drink of their choice. He then stood up on a crate and got the room's attention.

Citizens of Minas Tirith May ye be merry! I am pleased to treat you all a drink in honor of this inn's founder, Lady Nicola, in her success in publishing her novel called The Last Knight. As I have yet to read it, I cannot say anything about its content. But I will be reading it soon. Remember in the days and years coming when the movies come that she was here amongst us in this fine city, and I enjoyed the days passed here writing tales. Congratulations 'Swordy' Swordmaster!"

He then lifted his tankard and took a long draw before stepping back down and returning to his table.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Interesting, and available in dollars as well!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

99¢ on Kindle, but I was thinking of paying for the paperback. Got to support our own. []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Varnafinde, who had silently snuck in, sat down at the back, and was still contemplating what drink to buy, certainly got Snowdog's attention.

Swordmaster? SWORDMASTER? Published? Wow, that's reason for celebration!

"That's worth buying!" she said. "She once sent me an introductory chapter of something she was writing, for me to comment on, and I tried to explain why I liked it and why I would like to hear more about those characters - I wonder whether that could be related to this at all?

I used to RP with her and Maha for a while, we had great fun ..."

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I'm writing a rather complex Silmarillion alternative at the moment. The premise is that the Valar do intervene in Beleriand after the destruction of the trees. But things do not turn out any better. The Valar intervene after the Oath of Feanor and the slaughter of the Teleri ship-builders. So there is a kind of 3 way split between the host of the Valar lead by Eonwe, Morgoth and Feanor's Noldor. This just allows Morgoth to survive the assault.
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh Snowdog! How incredibly sweet of you! To be honest my dear friends I have been so incredibly busy that my ventures into this part of the world became incredibly few and far between. But I have missed all my old friends!"

Neela smiled and bought everybody a drink.

"In truth I have since published a second novel and they are both receiving rather good reviews. But what of you all? Does anyone still remain in this fair city who loves to write?"

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Snowdog bowed to Swordmaster and waved to have the food brought in. He had the crew of his Inn come to cater here. There was food of all sorts, and some of the finest vintages of wine from his cellar. He held up a bottle of the rare Brandywine Red vintage 1420 and uncorked it. Pouring a glass, he handed it to Swordy, and poured another for himself. He set the bottle down by some fine glasses for anyone else to partake. But he didn't wait. He lifted his glass to Swordy and said,

"Congratulations on your engagement Lady Swordmaster of the Pen!"

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I still like to write!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

... as do I.

And I thought I would make another shameless plug for our Swordmaster and her writing

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

"So where are the tales of this land? Why do we not hear them?"

Snowdog sipped his coffee and pondered telling himself a tale just to fill the old place with words once again....

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Snowdog sipped his coffee and pondered telling himself a tale just to fill the old place with words once again....
Ooh - I totally missed this thread, before. I love to write, but I haven't done fiction. It might be interesting to try my hand at a bit of spin. [] I love to read - What tales are you telling yourself, Snowy? How about you, Hamfast?
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I have a continuing project called 'The Arnor Chronicles' that has five parts to it. Part one is 'Of Arnor', part 2 is 'The Division', part 3 is Of Rhuadur, part 4 is of Cardolan, and part 5 is Of Arthedain.

I also have a pre-war of the Ring tale in the works as well.

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

quote:
Only those who seek to find a way to leave this world behind should enter in this humble place. For here shall you find those of like mind. This inn is the place for those who seek to discuss one of the greatest skills in the world, the ability to put into words all the beauty and uglyness, all the love and hate, and all the life and death this world has to offer. Enter if you are one such person
"What an interesting charge to prospective guests", Faithfull thought to herself as she read the placard. "I wonder if it is the same proprietress, all these many years later. Escapism can be very appealing, from time to time, but as time goes by, life demands more and more. Still, this place is very inviting. I will put it on my list of places to visit on a regular basis. I am very sure I will find kindred folk and a place to 'be.' "
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Well, I am writing two tales at the moment, though they are not Middle-Earth related, merely possibly influenced by it. A Dr Who Planet of the Apes crossover and an original tale of my own about giant Wasps and nasty ones at that. I don't know if muse is lost on ME but maybe it is as I have few ideas left or maybe I have just ran out. The only thing I have a sketch of possibly is a whimsical tale about a friendship between anE,f and Dwarf in the second age.
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

[] Hee! Dr. Who and Planet of the Apes sounds like loads of crazy fun! Giant wasps sounds like a nasty nightmare, and should go over well with people who like that sort of thing. [] I'd love to read your tale of a friendship between an elf and a dwarf. I really liked how Tolkien developed the friendship between Gimli and Legolas.
Recently, based upon comments in another thread, I'm thinking about inventing children for Bombadil and Goldberry. []

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Recently, based upon comments in another thread, I'm thinking about inventing children for Bombadil and Goldberry. []
[]

"Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dol dillo! Ring a dong ... SPLASH"

Now THAT will make for an interesting read! Can't wait to see what you come up with. []

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

quote:
Now THAT will make for an interesting read! Can't wait to see what you come up with. []
Hee! Well, get comfortable. I'm terribly busy with an ultra-large set of projects, and this one may have to sit on the back burner for some time. []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Oh, so false alarm then... nothing to see here.... []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

There may be if I can get one or two of my tales finished.
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

quote:
There may be if I can get one or two of my tales finished.
Bring it. []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help