Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 4)
Author Topic: The Pen and Parchment Inn
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Acknowledging the girl with the ferret, Braeden gladly accepted a seat, and answered Neela's questions immediately. "Fantasy is indeed part of it, though it is also part futuristic and part sci-fi. I'm three chapters away from the end of the first book, then the other two books must follow; so I'm not even a third of the way through yet. Also once I finish this first book, I will be starting from the beginning again and filling in the gaps - editing in background details and fixing up minor discrepancies. There is also a description of a room in Chapter Five that I am yet to write.

"So far, I have over 70 characters, but not all have actually been introduced to the reader. The names of the characters are unusual for the most part, but I'll be giving a list at the back of the book for how to pronounce them all - plus what they mean, if it's necessary.

"I have been working on it for over a year, and don't expect to finish it for another two years, at least. Hopefully I shall still return to this wonderful inn during that time." Braeden didn't want to speak about her own work for too long, but she knew not what to say next. Turning to the girl with the ferret, she raised her hand slowly and gently stroked its soft fur.

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"It sounds very interesting," Neela replied with a smile. "And I must admit that I am glad to know that I am not the only one who is crazy enough to attempt a trilogy. I've only just finished the first book of mine, and it has taken me well over five years to get even that far, what with the changes to the story that have developed over those years." She crossed the room and returned a few moments later with new drinks for her guests, "Tell me, with that number of characters do you not find it hard to keep them all in order, I know that with my novel that characters take on a life of thier own, and so many sub-plots develop that I find it all becoming very complicated, and I only have about twenty characters with any significance."
From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
“I’d say that only twenty or so of my characters have significant roles in the tale too. I keep all my named characters in a file, with their full names, ages, origins, social class, brief story input, family relations and which books they’re in. There were at least ten characters in the main part of the story, but since Chapter Four, they’ve been separated to start sub-plots of their own.

“Most of the people I speak to gawk at the number of characters I have… But thinking about it, Tolkien had many many more in his Silmarillion. How he managed to keep them all together, and in different storylines, still managing to write them into the same timeline… I guess I am unwittingly doing the same, but I prefer to have lots of characters going at the same time. I believe that is why it was easy for me to read The Silmarillion

Braeden swallowed much of her drink before continuing, “Besides, my tale is filled with things that must be solved as the story goes on. It’s almost like a detective tale - despite the lack of a detective – and the reader learns things about the world and the events within it as they go along. I am also learning these things as I write the tale. It’s all part of the wonder of writing.”

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"It seems as though you have your novel somewhat better planned than my own," Neela said with a smile. "Tell me a little more, is the world entirely of your own creation? What style do you write in, a high style like Tolkien, or something more easy to read like say David Eddings? I'm very interested."
From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Taria smiled slightly to Braeden who she had seen before, she wondered if the lady remembered her?

Suddenly her ferret jumped on Braedens lap, begging for few more gentle strokes of his fur.

Taria laughed.

"Abandoning me so soon are we?" She asked the ferret, whose nose twiches a little. Taria shook her head, amused.

"I'm sorry I'm interrupting you two, I guess you don't remember me lady Braeden? Well it's been long..." She paused as she saw Braeden give it short think. She was pretty sure the lady had recognised her now, maybe even when she had walked in.

"To your guestion Innkeeper Neela... I write novels. Short stories... and I'm a terrible poet!" She cried the end with mock acheny. Then she grinned sheeply and winked at them. "I have never been bublished, I'm way too shy to hand my soul to some over weight, greese mouth Minas Tirith Official who knows not knot for butt."

Neela and Braeden laughed slightly.

"Yes, well comedy theater, is one of my passions too... less that has to do with pens and parchment I soly admit, but great fun time nontheless." She smiled and finished her drink.

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

Smiling at Taria, Braeden stroked the soft fur of the girl’s ferret as she answered Neela, “I haven’t read any books by David Eddings, so I can’t say he has influenced me… I don’t know what kind of style I’m writing in; my own, is all I can say. The world is partially my own creation, though it is in fact today’s world set more than a century in the future. I may propose to call it a parallel world, however, if things start to get a little too strange regarding it – especially with the magic stones, and lions turning into humans turning into eagles…”

Braeden laughed as she thought of the idea of the stones, and then jotted down a few things on her notepad; “As I said before, I’m learning things about the tale as I write. New ideas come to mind even when I’m not physically writing; mentally, I’m always in the world of my trilogy.”

[ 01-12-2006, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

A thousand times she had thought it finished, but at last it finally was, her novel was completed, no more edits to do, no more changes to make.

Neela sighed and sat back, for mingled with her elation, was sadness, the Inn was empty, no one had set foot inside the door for many, many months.

Perhaps, she thought, if I light a fire, perhaps someone will return.

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

The whole of the city of Minas Tirith had become quiet of late, but no where more so than that part often known as the Green Dragon. The many role-playing stories that had aways filled the place with such activity were more often than not lying dormant, and new ones seems to be struggling to get off the ground.

Neela sighed, perhaps her old assessment that the writers of Minas Tirith had moved on was true. She remembered long ago talking for hours with other writers, a past time that she adored. Perhaps those old writers were gone - but maybe new ones had taken their place.

Perhaps new people would come along to her inn...

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why had she never tried this Inn before?

She had seen it, even peered in through the windows, and secretly listened to some of the conversations that had taken place there. Why had she never tried to enter?

Perhaps she hadn't regarded herself as enough of a writer. True, she had something she wanted to write, but it never seemed to get very far. She was trying to find out why ...

Suddenly she made up her mind. She would enter the Inn, which seemed to be rather quiet now. Perhaps she could get some help?

She opened the door, seeing the woman she knew to be called Neela sitting inside.

"Good morning," she smiled. "My name is Varnafindë - usually called Varna, though. Since this inn is about writing - I must admit I've been eavesdropping occasionally - and I like to write, I've decided to come in. May I sit down for a while?"

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela came quickly to her feet as someone stepped into her Inn.

"Welcome! Welcome!" She said clapping her hands together happily. "Sit and join me, can I get you a drink?" As she hurried away behind the bar she continued to talk.

"I take it that you write yourself? Have you a particular passion? A particular project?"

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Varna smiled, happy at the other's enthusiasm. "If you serve hot drinks, then a Cappucino, please. Otherwise I'll have some Sparkling Orange."

She thought for a few moments.

"A passion? I suppose fantasy is my passion. And so I have two projects going - one merely for my own entertainment, and one that I hope could become something to publish eventually. The private entertainment project is what goes on right here - in the Green Dragon. I'm involved in several stories, but I'm keeping most of my characters within the same family - the ancestors of my own persona. Is that being lazy - or is it a good idea? I find it's easier to get to know them that way.
That's the problem with the publishing project," she sighed. "For some reason I have problems with getting to know my main character. It's difficult to write about him then."

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela listened carefully to Varna speak, nodding slightly in agreement. She returned to the table with a cappacino and smiled across at her.

"Indeed I must say that those roles that I take on here in the Green Dragon are often variations of the same basic character, albeit with different names and occasionally different parts of her character given more emphasis, and you do grow to know a character inside out, which helps. As for your comment about your project for publication, if you can't get to grips with your main character then that could create some problems. Do you mind me asking a little more about that project? Is it a novel? Or a series of novels? I am making the assumption that it is fantasy."

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Varna accepted the cappucino and sipped it with some caution - she was always a bit careful with hot drinks, and often let them cool a bit before really digging into them.

"Yes, that's a fantasy as well," she answered. "It's set in my home country of today, but with a race of people of my own invention. A bit hobbit-like, perhaps - but more philosophically minded and less easy-going.
The trolls in that area are trying to retrieve an object of great antiquity - perhaps thought to be magical, but it isn't really - and my friends are trying to find it first, to hinder the trolls from using it as a rallying symbol to unite under, thus causing trouble for everyone else (including even the humans, although they don't really come into the story).
My main character is one of these people, travelling with his moose friend, and getting help from others of his people."

She sipped her cappucino again.

"If I can get anywhere with it, it's meant to be a novel," she went on. "I started it at the NaNoWriMo project during November two years ago, after having thought about it for a long time. I only reached about eight thousand words, though, and only got them started on their quest. I wondered why it was so much harder than writing for the Green Dragon, and I realised that I wasn't playing that character in the same way. I believe I don't know him well enough to play him - I only write about him."

[ 09-11-2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela smiled, "It sounds like an interesting concept, it can be fun sometimes to write something that has no human involvement at all. I can see your problem with your main character though, and I have to admit that I have faced some similar problems in the past. My novel has ten central characters, and for a long time I only really knew about three of them, and in the first draft of the novel the other characters were completely flat and lifeless. One thing that I found worked quite well was writing some stuff that wouldn't actually go in the book, but that gave me a chance to explore the character a little more. For example one of my characters is a member of an Order of Knights, and I went and wrote about ten thousand words about his time as a novice, his relationships, his training etc. It will never see the light of day, but when I then came back to re-drafting the novel his character just came to life, because he had all these habits and quirks, and most importantly I knew exactly why he had them. It may or may not work for you, but I found it a great way to get to know a character better."

Neela paused and took a deep breath, blushing slightly. "Sorry, I do tend to go on a little bit..."

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowdog came through the door of the inn a little worse for wear. In need of a dry place to rest and relax and to write a little, he saw two talking about the love of writing.

"Pardon my interruption, but may I have a seat where I can write a tale? Its about the state of Gondor after the war, and some may not have ever been told before."

They both nodded their approval and Snowdog found a small table by the wall. It would do. Now to see if his quill and inks are still usable...

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

As an afterthought, Varna called over to the newcomer, "When you've finished your story, could you come over to us and tell us about it? Not just let us read it, I mean - I'd like to hear about how you're writing a story as well. How you choose whom to write about, where to set the tale, and such matters."

Seeing him turn his head in her direction, she added,, with a small wink, "And if you're parched by then, I'm sure you can find something to your liking to quench your thirst with. I can recommend the cappucino - unless you prefer something stronger."

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowdog looked over as the woman spoke. He said to the offer of a drink,

"Hot tea, black, no additives will do for me right now if you have it. As for what I have to tell, it has to do with the continued subduing of the lands of Eastern Rhun, Khand, and Far Harad. Though the evil one was overthrown and the war was over, peace had come for most. Yet both King Elessar and King Eomer rode far in battle still at times afterward. This tale is about the hiring of mercenaries by Gondor to fight in these far lands. Men mostly, who were veterans of the war from many lands. This is a story that should be told."

He looked at his parchment, and prepared his quill, saying without looking up,

"And yes I will read it and tell of it should you wsh to listen and know."

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Neela disappeared into the kitchen to make tea. Varna waited for her, listening to the soft sounds of the man's quill. After a while she said to herself, 'She's certainly taking her time. I'd better go look for her.'

She went into the kitchen to find that Neela had indeed disappeared. She was nowhere to be seen. Varna shrugged and made the tea herself, after having looked into the various cupboards to find what she needed.

"Your tea, good sir," she said, putting the cup next to him. Then she went back to her own table and got out a book, preparing to read for a while until the other had finished writing his story.

[ 03-08-2009, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hamfast Gamgee a little Hobbit opened the door to the sound of a fire and a friendly, if rather quiet Inn. In fact he could only see a couple of people at the bar. 'Oh, well, at least I'll be getting served quickly,' thought he as sometimes he hated having to wait at long queues. Wiping his furry feet on the mat he walked to the bar and gave a friendly smile and one of his, 'Help, I'm dying of thirst!' looks.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

"Thank you miss.... I don't know your name. My name is... well, they call me Snowdog. I will have the first bit done here by the time this cup is empty. It will tell of the years after the war, and how the lingering effects haunted many who fought in various battles, and I will tell of some of them in detail."

Snowdog went back to writing as the door opened. In came a hobbit. It was good to see halflings. A great folk them, and they do have the knack to brew great ale too!

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hamfast was served a pint of the famous Blackadder ale and had another look around. He was sure he recognized someone. Ah, yes, Snowdog. And he looked to be writing as well, maybe there was a common interest. Hammy decided to introduce himself. 'I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but are you Snowdog of Snowdog's Inn? I have had a few ales their, but I'm not sure you would recognize me. You would appear to be writing!'
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela walked quietly through the back door of her inn. Her cloak was soaked though so she hung it on a hook near the fire and smiled at the three partons of her inn.

She had been away far too long. So long in fact that at times she had wondered if her inn had still existed, if people still took seats by the fire and discussed the joys and trials of writing.

She stepped to where the visitors could see her.

"Hello my friends."

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

"Neela!" Varna exclaimed. "You're back! It's good to see you - I was getting worried. Would you like some tea? I've made some for Snowdog already, and I could make some more - or I could try to find you something else to drink. Then hopefully we can carry on the discussion with these other guests - do you have any new stories?"
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

"Too many new stories," Neela replied with a smile as she settled down by the fire. "I've been so busy writing I don't think I've put my quill down for weeks. What about you?"
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

"If you mean that character that I didn't seem to be able to play - no, I haven't written more about him," Varna answered. "I've put him aside for now - and I'm writing about his mother instead! It works much better, for some reason. And when I've finished her story - oh, it's still been taking a couple of years - maybe it will be easier to pick him up again."

She went over to see whether there was any tea left. No - just dregs. She put on some new tea, as she wanted another cup for herself, and offered some to Neela as well.

"Keeping your quill busy for weeks?" she said. "Now that's interesting. Anything that's suitable for you to share with us, or just tell to us about in general terms?"

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help