Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Pen and Parchment Inn
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neela had sat for a long time quietly talking to her old friend, listening with one ear to the conversation in the inn.
Finally she turned from her friend and addressed the inn, "Prahaps we could take it in turns to post a short sample of our work here and have people comment on it. For example I could post the first section of one of my novels, and comments could be made and then Lilliana could post a basic outline of her plot and we could assist her with any problems she has and so on. Let me know if you think this a good idea and it will be so."
She smiled round at the assembled guests.

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neela looked around sadly, it seemed that either all her guests had fallen asleep or had left with out her noticing. The candles seemed to have gone out and the room was in semi-darkness.
She stood quickly and re-lit the many candles, hoping their flickering light would draw back her vanished guests.

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Serenya smiled at Neela.

"I fear that our guests are neither reading nor writing at the moment - or at least are not talking about it! I for one am busy writing and doing photography, and playing with my new website, but I will be back here ere long."

She then returned to her own inn, also looking sadly deserted.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Upon walking from the last homely house, she remembered to stop by the penn and parchment inn before she left. She wondered if anyone would want to read the plot line for her story.
She walked in and apologized for her lack of attendence.

"It seems as though I have run out of interesting things to say. But if you want to hear of my story, I shall be glad to tell you. Alas that I have had not much time for writing!"

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the disappearance of some of the other patrons, Braeden had settled herself in a dark corner of the room. Dark and cold places were the usual kind of stimulant for creative thinking. At least, they were for Braeden.

Having gained many ideas for different stories during her time at the Pen & Parchment Inn, Braeden ran out and found an empty journal in her room. She wrote down as many as she could remember, and then fell asleep due to mental exhaustion.

Over the next few days, Braeden found herself being invited to two different role-plays. She had already accepted one invite to another role-play a week before, and therefore could only see herself adding one more to her list. She opted for the fun ride that was The Stage Coach, and totally forgot about the other.

Braeden soon became overwhelmed with the different story ideas that ran through her mind:

A film-script, a fantasy/futuristic novel, two new role-plays, one old role-play that seemed to be on hiatus... and then, as she thought about them all she remembered her commitment to the inn. The Pen & Parchment Inn.

"Oh, I should go back there. I wonder if the others have returned."

Braeden quickly walked back to the P&P Inn, finding Lillianna and Neela sitting by the fire. She bowed to them, and then looked outside again to see Serenya in the Last Homely House. That inn did not seem as lively as it once had before.

Braeden would have gladly gone back to it, if only she was reading something other than The Silmarillion. "I won't have much to say on that book until I finally finish it... I know which book I am going on to next, and I know of a few people who can discuss it with me." Braeden stepped inside the P&P Inn again, and smiled at Lilli and Neela.

"I'm here. What has happened since I left? I can't remember how I forgot about this place." And with that remark, Braeden smiled and shook her head, "It is a writer's prerogative to speak strange sayings such as that."

[ 08-08-2002, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela looked around a wide smile on her face, at least two of her guests were back.
"Prahaps whilst we sit here I could read you the synopsis of my novel. Yes one moment."
Neela sorted quickly through the pile of parchment on the table until she found the one she sought.
She coughed and cleared her thoat and began to read.
"My story is set on a beautiful world. Oceans, mountains, forests and plains. It is called by many names in many languages for it is populated by many different beings.
In the mountain kingdom of Dreadin live the Dwarves. A race of warriors that live in underground cities. They carry a deep-seated dislike of all other races, one that has lead to the many wars that have torn apart this world. They are miners of the many valuable metals that reside in the Mountains of Badran.
In the deserts of Crythanisa live the beings most like Humans. They are known as the Crytha or desert people. They are tall and dark, and like the Dwarves have no liking for the other races of the world. Their world is separated from our final kingdom by an almost impassable ridge of mountains, something that has prevented many wars.
In the forests and plains is the kingdom of the Elves, Alvaan. A race of peaceful beings that wish only to live and let live, the Elves have extraordinarily long lives and are blessed with great beauty. They are also strong and wise.
In the First Age of the world war tore apart the Elven and Dwarven kingdoms and threatened to wipe out the two races entirely. That is until an Elven prophecy comes to light. It tells of five Elves born with the power to control the elements. To every fifth generation they are born, known only at the moment of birth by the colour of their eyes, which are green from edge to edge. However this mark fades and until they reach maturity their powers are not evident. This prophecy and the strength it gave the then inferior Elves stopped the wars and as long as the Chosen are still around an uneasy peace settles over the world.
However move forward ten thousand years and the prophecy comes back to light. A part of it previously ignored by the primitive Elves tells of a time when once again the world will be plunged into war and the race of Elves will be destroyed unless a certain part of the prophecy can be fulfilled. It tells of a company of eleven, the Prince, The Prince Protector, The Blacksmith, The Hermit, The Warrior and the Chosen ones, The Thief, The Woodcutter, The Cripple, The Swordmaster and The Archer and finally The Teacher.
If these can be brought together before a certain date in the Hall of the Kings in Daaleph, the capital city, then the war can be won.
It is Randall, the king’s advisor, who uncovers this prophecy, and to old to go himself he send the impetuous eldest son of the King, Dalian, and his faithful companion Garth. It is their job to find those named in the prophecy and bring them together. They of course are The Prince and The Prince Protector. Their journey takes them through many uncharted regions of the world and they must face many unexpected challenges as well as the threat of war that may eventually destroy them all.
The people they find are not who they expect to find. The Blacksmith is a beautiful noble woman, and The Swordmaster is the most powerful woman on the earth. The others also have their story to tell and even Dalian and Garth have secrets that will eventually be told.
But their enemies do not only live across the mountains but also in Daaleph. An evil Lord plots the death of the King and the Crown Prince leaving the way for Dalian’s younger brother Radan to take the throne, and then Lord Nerak will have a king on the throne he can control. Radan is already under his spell at the start of the story but will he do as Nerak instructs him even if it is to kill his own Father.
And through it all runs a story of the greatest love of all. For Dalian loves the young Chosen One that possess the power to control the mind, unfortunately so does his oldest friend Garth, his mentor and protector. Can their friendship stand the love of one woman for she loves them both and cannot decide herself who she loves more? But the prophecy speaks of a bride for Dalian so is the choice even hers.
Yet even if they can reach the Hall of the Kings in time will that be enough or will war still tear apart a beautiful world?"
Neela flushed with embarassement, she had never intended to go on for so long, she only hoped that people would not be discouraged by her long speech.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Oo-ee!" Braeden exclaimed. The rundown of Neela's story greatly intrigued her, so much that she found it hard to speak much about it.

"At first the description of your world reminded me of Arda, but then most fantasy writers are influenced by Tolkien, if not all. Yet as you went on, it became its own unique place, with its own unique tales." Braeden smiled at the young girl.

"I, for one, would love to read it when you are finished. And published, I guess... I was never into fantasy before reading the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. Since then, I've come up with a few fantasy story ideas but none have come to fruition. I want to try to read as many fantasy stories as I can, so I can understand what scope and distinction I need to separate me, and my stories, from other fantasy writers.

"Already from what I have heard, I am intrigued. But I will let others speak their point of view, and try to think more about your idea."

Braeden smiled again, nodding to Neela in appreciation for telling them about her story.

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neela, I love very much your story!! It sounds very interesting!! I hope you continue on with it.

Ok, well here is an outline for my story. It's sort of fantasy.....it's definitely fiction. It is supposed to make you think and make you deeply know the characters. The details about where it's located is not that important....

It's about this girl, Talia who is an orphan, but a very unique one. She has a very vivid imagination and is very much into the worlds of her books. (especially LOTR) [] The lady in charge of the orphanage is worried about her, because she has been there a while and no one has wanted to adopt her. She simply refuses, saying that they are not her real parents and that her parents are still alive. She is very reclusive and different from all the other children and no one really knows why. One day, a child psychologist comes to try to "straighten her out" and discovers more and more what happened in her past, though it is clear he knows more about her than normal people do. Talia holds secrets to mysteries she can't explain. Her parents suddenly dissappeared and they were never found, so they were believed to be dead. Talia saw something on the day they were lost, yet she won't tell what it was, and since then she has had horrible nightmeres that cloud her vision of what is real, and what isn't. It is up to this stranger(named Ethan Hunter), to try to get her to open up the painful wounds of her past to try to discover what she saw so it will explain the tragedy of her parents, and later, others of the same kind. She must distinguish what is real, and what is merely a dream.

So yeah. That's it.......Kind of complicated.....
*blushes slightly at embarrassment*

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela smiled shyly at the praise given in regards to her story, then turned to Lillianna.
"Your story sounds very interesting if a little complicated. Not that thats a bad thing but as it is a complicated storyline I would be careful with your writing as you don't want a high writing style like Tolkiens to complicate it even more. Try and stick to a simple writing style if you can. You said your setting isn't that important but that does mean that you will have to make sure that people fall in love with your characters, don't make them too perfect or too flawed. A story like LotR foucsed more on the setting and the plot where as yours is quite pleasing in that it is the characters that are the central point."
Neela paused, she hoped Lillianna understood what she meant. Having been writing since she was a small child Neela had learnt many tricks of the trade and was more than willing to impart them.

[ 08-09-2002, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

"I do understand what you mean, Neela" Lillianna replied.
"I am trying not to just use a bunch of fancy words that mean nothing and add nothing to the development of the story. What I want to do is make the reader think and feel with the central characters, most importanly, Talia. I may have a burden I can't handle, but I won't settle for half-best. I am not Tolkien(lol), nor do I write like him. I just want to do my best."

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

"And I'm sure you will," Neela smiled. "The truth is your plot line is fantastic. Many successful writers say that the way you write is irrelevent if your storyline is good. If you can touch just one person with your writing then you're successful. I'd say you have what it takes to be successful."
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela sat in the dark of her inn by the window, staring sadly at the moon as it shone brightly in the dark sky.
The fire had died down to nothing but a few glowing embers and only one candle lit the inn's dim interior.
She thought back fondly to the days when she would sit in deep conversation with others who shared her love of reading and writing. But it seemed that few people had time for such things.
Enough dwelling on the past , she told herself, looking round at the empty inn.
She rose from her seat and added a number logs to the grate, working until she had a blazing fire, filling the room with warmth and light. Then she made herself a cup of tea and sat back down by the window.
This time however she did not return to her silent vigil out of the window, instead she pulled a sheaf of parchement towards her and picking up her quill she began to write, waiting patiently for people to hopefully return to her inn to discuss the art of writing.

Nehraime
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2470

posted      Profile for Nehraime   Author's Homepage   Email Nehraime   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fiyold kmnocked timidly on the Inn door, and then opened it. "Am i allowed to be here? I love writing, can i join?"
From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela looked up with a wide smile. "Of course, please come in. Hopefully others may join us soon. Are you currently writing anything? I would love to hear about it."
Nehraime
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2470

posted      Profile for Nehraime   Author's Homepage   Email Nehraime   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Actually, i am, thanks for asking. I am currently in the midst of writing a story, but i constantly get writers block so its only just started.
Its basically a story about a young girl, Alanvia, who is an elven mage. She has unusual powers, and because of them her harsh family shunned her. So, she travels alone, but she has just met up with another Elf. *sigh* Thats about as far as ive gotten, sadly. I just can't think of anything to happen! I mean, i know theres no real plot but i think that if i could think of an event i might actually finsih it. Thank you for listining, perhaps when its a bit more on i could share it with others? And what about you?" Fiyold asked. She sat down at a stool, and took off her tattered gloves.

From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Lillianna stepped into the room and it brought back a flood of memories. She was so thankful for all she learned here, and she was hoping that she'd learn more from new people. At the table there was dear Neela, and also a newcommer, Nehraime.

"Good to see you, Nehraime." She said as she extended her hand. "I'm sure you can provide many things here we can learn from."

Then she tried to explain her absense,
"I really haven't written much of my own creative stuff lately. I have been worried with other things, other major obstacles of my life that I must somehow hurdle. I wish I could be patient enough to get my thoughts on paper. However, I think something will come for me that will help. I am going to have the opportunity this week to work with people who have trouble with writing. I have been in a class all this semester that has been preparing me to be a tutor, specifically for writing. (since that's my strong suit) I know that by helping people, my own writing will improve significantly. It will also help me learn patience too." []

[ 11-03-2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

Nehraime
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2470

Nehraime smiled.
"I think that what you say is true, and i wish you luck on yout writing. I was reading some of the scrolls in here, and they look amazing."

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela smiled happily, it felt so good to be surrounded once again by the people who shared her love.
She turned to the newcomer, "I have written many things, my mind it seems overflows with stories each of them fighting to get out, puting them on paper however and actually finishing one I start is a whole other problem. The main thing I can suggest for your story is you need to find a quest. David Eddings, one of my favourite writers, said in his book The Rivian Codex that a fantasy story consists of a number of things which include, a hero, which you've got, the assorted companions, and most importantly, the quest, the thing your character is searching or fighting for, whether physical or metephorical. If you have a quest, you have a plot and therefore a story, you just need to flesh it out."
Taking a deep breath she turned to Lillianna, "It is most wonderful to have you back in the Inn, although it is a pity you have not done much more to your story as I was looking forward to hearing more about it, and how its developed. But I am most greatful to have your wisdom back in the inn."
She stood then and made herself another cup of tea, all the talking having made her throat dry, offering her quests drinks as she did so.

[ 11-03-2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

Nehraime
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2470

Fiyold accepted the drink with a word of thanks, cleared her throat, and began to talk.
"Thank you for your help. I will head to the library and see if they have that book, it sounds very intersting. I usually start out with the characters and a basic idea of what going to heppen, but latley its been harder for my to devop a strong enough plot."

Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Lillianna looked over a couple pieces of paper that Nehraime had set on the table and saw that they were the outline for her story.
"Why, how come I did not see this before? Forgive me for appearing as though I ignored it. I must have just come in when you were mentioning it. I think you have a good start.
I think a good thing to work on while you are thinking of a better plot would be to work on the characters in your story. Alot of times people will re-use the same story line, but if they have memorable characters, then the book is so much more interesting. Dickens is a great example. He used characters that people allude to even now in their stories. 'He had Uriah Heap-like characteristics.' [] That's one thing I want to conquer. I want to make my characters real to the reader, so much so that they explode from the pages of the book."
She laughed to herself and thought,
I have high aspirations.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

Braeden Űrind had been sitting on the steps of the Pen and Parchment Inn for a few minutes as she wrote down a new idea for one of her many stories. As she sat there, she heard the conversation of Neela, Nehraime and Lillianna, and found it most intriguing.

How perfectly timed this is, she thought. Just as I am having trouble writing my fantasy story, they are speaking about their own. I should go in. Braeden stood up and, placing her parchment under her arm, stepped into the inn.

"Neela, Lillianna, how good it is to see you both here again. And Nehraime, a new face... New blood to stimulate the old." Braeden smiled at them all, and then sat down and turned back to Neela, "I must thank you for what you said about fantasy stories. I thought I was lost in my own idea, but it seems I have all of the required things. I just need to work on them a little more. The quest in my fantasy novel is a bit vague at the moment, but I have a basis for it so that does help."

Braeden poured herself a glass of water and refreshed her dry throat. She knew she was catching a cold of some sort; where she normally lived it was Spring and the time to get hay fever. A sneeze interrupted her thoughts and she wiped her nose with a kerchief. No cold will keep me from writing, she promised herself.

[ 11-04-2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

Nehraime
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2470

Fiyold (OOC-aka Nehraime)smiled at the others and gave words of thanks. Looking at the others, she waited to see if any of them would share more of their amazing stories.
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela sighed deeply as she looked around at her new companions.
"I fear that I too am suffering from writers block. I have reached the half way point of my story but it has turned out impossible to end the story the way I hoped without it spreading into two or even three books."

Nehraime
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2470

Fiyold smiled.
"It seems to be a comman ailment between all. But you say you would have to write 2 or 3 more books to end it the way you like. I say that you should try it, and see where it gets you. In my opinion, you should never constain creativity, especially when its in writing.

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

"True, creativity can not be restrained. I will just keep writing until I find the end, whether thats in three books or twenty three." Neela smiled slightly as she spread out the scroll she held in front of her, tapping her quill gently against her teeth.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help