Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Pen and Parchment Inn
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A wide path leads down to the well known and popular Inn of the Last Homely House. Many passing along it do not notice much as they walk, eager as they are to reach the warmth and safety of the Inn.
But those who do chance to look notice a new inn. The building is made of rough stone and laid in the shape of an L. A small sign swings gently in the wind, on it are two things, a beautiful eagle feather quill and a scroll. Words underneath them read, The Pen and Parchment Inn.
Leaning against the wall, next to the huge oak doors, is a small slate, written on it are these words, Only those who seek to find a way to leave this world behind should enter in this humble place. For here shall you find those of like mind. This inn is the place for those who seek to discuss one of the greatest skills in the world, the ability to put into words all the beauty and uglyness, all the love and hate, and all the life and death this world has to offer. Enter if you are one such person.
Those who do enter the inn find themselves in a large common room. A roaring fire faces the door and around it are a number of tables and chairs. The short end of the L shape is taken up by the kitchen, through which many wonderful smells drift.
By the fire stands a small girl, though on closer inspection she appears to be about twenty, long red hair falls about her shoulders and her skin is creamy white. Her deep green eyes were once full of sorrow but now she has at last found a place in the world and with it peace.
She waits patiently for customers.

[ 07-21-2002, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Waking up in Rivendell was a feeling beyond words for Braeden. She had smiled at the ornamental plants and trees outside her room. And even some had come so far as to be part of her abode. The morning had welcomed her with sunshine, and the air was fresh with the scent of wilderness.

Braeden now walked through the grounds of the Elven haven, admiring the structure of the buildings, so entwined with nature – such regard the Elves had for living things.

The sound of voices distracted Braeden from her thoughts. She turned around to see many folk heading towards The Last Homely House; the newly established inn managed by the lady Serenya, but now that strange man Lex was in charge.

Promptly Braeden ran up to the gathering, but as she joined the others, a new sign seemed to appear in front of another building. Braeden slipped away from the crowd and edged closer to the sign.

“The Pen and Parchment Inn? What a wonderful idea!” She exclaimed. It seemed that some of the others had heard her, though not all paused to look. Turning back to the others, Braeden smiled, “I think I shall bow out of today’s proceedings. And I have not been able to give much to the discussion anyway. If I am needed, I shall be in here.” She pointed towards the rough stonework, and then walked towards the front door of the new inn.

Standing by the entrance, Braeden peered in and felt the warmth of the fire opposite her. The room was large, tables and chairs were placed around the fire, and there seemed to be another area at the side. Before stepping in, Braeden turned to look at the slate panel beside the wall outside. A smile crept around her lips as she read the words.

“Then I have come to the right place,” Braeden walked into the inn and noticed a small girl standing by the fire. As she came closer, she realised that the girl was indeed a woman, not much younger than herself. It is then she recognises the woman, “Neela. From the Homely House?”

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The sun shone brightly on Lillianna's hair and gleamed like a shimmering waterfall of black gold. She gently pulled back a bit of her radiant locks as she smelled the fruit she was picking.

"I hope those at the inn will find this suitable for a bit of a snack."

Looking up from her picking she noticed Braeden walk into an open door next to the homely house. Her mind suddenly remembered Neela and the inn she was going to open. Her heart raced with excitement.

"Ah to share some of my memoirs!! I wonder what the others will think?" She asked aloud to herself. After thinking for a moment, she picked the last plum, put it in her wicker basket, and headed off to the inn. Only Braeden and Neela were there, but she would be certain others would come.

"Hello friends." She said warmly. "I see our journey has lead us here. I am sure we will have much to discuss."

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"I am sure we will too!" said Mandin striding in. He knew that his cousin Aradruin was doing quite amiably at the Reading inn, so now he was come to man the Writing inn. "It would hardly be fair," declared Mandin to his hat that morning when he dressed, "if they had a writing inn without me, so as long as they don't throw me out and lock the door, I'll walk back in every time they throw me out." Anyhow, Mandin talking more to himself than was good for him, but his hat at least gave the appearance of him having company, so he did not mind so much what other people thought. However, in the Reading inn, there were actually real people, and, what's more, ones who wrote, to talk with. Now there was but to wait for more to arrive so that they could determine more efficiently how they would go about their discussions.

[ 07-22-2002, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Braeden turned towards the door to find her friend Lillianna, and an unfamiliar man wearing a hat, standing by the door.

"I knew you would find this place, my friend. And you sir, I have not seen your face before. You are a writer too, I presume?" Braeden nodded to each of them and waved them inside, "The fire is always a good place to get to know one another, though I believe a cold atmosphere can bring about great writing. It makes the pen move faster across the page... At least, it does for me."

She smiled at them all, "I know we should wait for the others, but I do wish to start right away. My heart is bursting with enthusiasm, and my mind is overflowing with ideas..." She turned to look at Neela, "But indeed, we should leave our... Modus operandi... up to our host."

Braeden sat down beside the fire and watched the other three with quiet interest. Already her imagination had begun to run wild, so she knew she must stop speaking so that the others could have their turn. The Pen and Parchment Inn? Yes, Braeden knew this was where she was meant to be.

[ 07-22-2002, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amee The Shadowdancer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1934

posted      Profile for Amee The Shadowdancer   Email Amee The Shadowdancer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*A cloaked and hooded figure steps into the Inn and glances at the others that were present. The figure slowly drew Back her hood to reveal a Face of in-humman beauty. Long hair of A bright golden color spilled out from the hood as she began to speak.*

Greetings People. Is this really a place for writers? I'm not much of a writer myself but I would love to hear others stories. I'm not welcome in Many places for I am also a mage of great power and Some fear me and Cast me out of there Inns. I do hope I am welcome hear.

From: On a big hill in Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lillianna turned to the man who had entered.,

"Hello my good sir! Aradruin has spoke much of his esteemed cousin. I remember him telling tales of you making up your own languages! I would be fascinated to know how you go about doing that. I am only an "aspiring writer" and have much to learn. I hope we can get started soon."
as she said this, she causually poked her head out the window as though she were expecting some others to walk down the path. There were none at present, but she did notice a lady with blinding golden hair step through the door.

"And slowly do they come!" She said as she nodded her head in reconition to the visitor.
"Make yourself at home here. As long as you can restrain your enchantments, I'm sure Neela will not mind your presence."
She offered a table near her for the visitor and then offered her apologies to those present for future times her attention would be divided between the homely house and this inn. She loved reading and writing equally, and to her they could not be separated.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neela stood quietly, smiling to herself as slowly people found their way to her inn. Finally she stepped forward, her soft smile still on her lips.
"Welcome friends, it gives me great pleasure to see that you have decided to join me here."
She paused, thinking how to go on. "My plan for this great place is to discuss the art of the written word, and how we are able to use it. But this you must already know or else you would not be here. I would also like this to be a place where we can exchange tips on writing and getting our works published, also a place where we can ask for help with our novels or short stories."
Neela stopped again, her soft green eyes filled with the passion she felt for her topic.
"So let us begin. Prahaps those present would like to tell others what they are currently involved with, a novel, short story or something else. Yes I think that is the best place for us to start."

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

She nodded her head in agreement to what Neela suggested and since others were gathering their own parchments in preparation to share them, she decided to speak first.

"Well my goals are high ones, for I am attempting to write a novel. My only problem is getting down and actually writing, funny enough. I have a bunch of ideas in my head and I want to try to cram in everything at once. I know that won't work and the prospect of it leaves me paralyzed I guess. What I need to do is get down and write all of my ideas out and map what direction I need to take in the story's plot. What do you suggest? I have never been this meticulous about writing before, since I usually write short songs and whatnot. It will be a new venture with a book and I don't know everything that must be considered when writing a novel. I am thinking of writing the most important parts first and then tying it all together later. Does that sound like a good plan?"

The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela smiled again pleased to have someone willing to share their work. "I personally would not suggest writing the important parts first and then tying it together. My novel orginally started out that way and I am having a great deal of difficulty in putting it all together. For example I know my characters have to be in a certain place at a certain time because I've already written that part but things happen as I write it that I did not expect."
Neela stopped, thinking for a moment, "Prahaps before I go on I should point out that I am also attempting to write a novel. I'm about half way through and am lucky enough to have already found one agent that is interested in it. However the biggest bit of advice I can give is to let your characters do the work for you. I mean, they will come to life and change no matter how hard you try to control them. I for example have the problem that one of my characters that started out as the secondary sidekick type character is now determined he wants to be the hero. Hopefully some of you will understand what I meant by that or else I'm going to look like I've lost my mind."

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

Braeden smiled at Neela, "I know what you mean. For I have written a story where there were three major characters, yet only one of them was meant to be seen in the spotlight. The other two managed to get their own sub-plots, but I was able to control it and fit everything in together..."

Braeden turned to Lillianna, "Ah, finally a time where I can relinquish what pearls of wisdom I have learned over the years."

Placing her parchment and quill on the table, Braeden sat in thought for a moment.

"As one who has written three novels, I should have all the answers you need. But I don't; I'm still learning as a writer.

"The way I have gone is to, as Neela has said, let the characters do the work for you. If you have one main character, you should try to work out their prime personal traits. For me, that was easy because I took some of my own traits and put them into the character.

"Throughout writing each novel, I never gained or asked for any guidance in making my characters, or even the plot, real... Perhaps I should have, especially for my first novel, for I don't wish to burden the public with such a tragedy. The book, not what happens in the story..."

Braeden smiled to herself for a moment, "I'm currently working on a script... To be played around the earth for many years to come... I have been writing stories for almost seven years now. Not all have gotten past the half-way point. And I have written a few poems, here and there. I had also once tried to write a play, but I found it became too long and involved before I'd even reached the climax..." Braeden shrugged before continuing on, "I consider that now, an experiment in dialogue. I did have one teacher tell me that the dialogue was perfect... Which was quite a surprise to me. But the idea for the play was far too cliché, so I let it go. Though it still haunts my mind, sometimes."

Braeden took a sip of her water and then reached into her haversack, "I have a book that my grandfather gave me... It has little notes and quotes on writing... It has many about characters."

Laying the book out on her lap, Braeden flipped through the pages before tapping her forefinger upon one of the lines:

"Here is a good one. Allow characters to reveal themselves through words, thoughts and deeds. And another, Never announce character traits to the reader... Know what a character wants, generically and specifically, even if the character does not... Feelings vibrate from what a character does, how he moves and what he says... I hope they help. There are plenty more good tips in this book, Writer's Little Book of Wisdom by John Long..."

Braeden placed the book down upon the table, and took up her parchment and quill once more, "But I should like to hear what the others may have to say. I like to know what others suggest and then take my own course of action."

[ 07-24-2002, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

Elbereth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 481
posted      Profile for Elbereth   Author's Homepage   Email Elbereth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At that moment a tall stranger stepped into the small doorway. Her features concealed by the midnight blue cloak she wore, she made her way towards the bar. A tanned, slender hand reached up towards the hood of her cloak and gently pushed it back to reveal hair which, though once was red, was now a golden blonde as a result of her more recent adventures far over the seas. She waited anxiously, hoping that her old friend would recognise her.
From: Guildford, Surrey, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

Neela leapt from her seat by the fire with a loud squeal. Her dignity forgotton as she raced across the room, "Elbereth, is it really you? Its been so long."
She paused and took a deep breath, "What do you think?" She asked, guesturing with one hand. "My own humble little inn!"
She smiled widely, "Please sit down, let me get you something to drink, some food maybe, anything you like!"

Neela turned away from her old friend for a moment, "Lillianna, the best suggestion I can make is to plan out the basic outline of your plot and characters, nothing too specific, and then let it flow...."

[ 07-24-2002, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: The Swordmaster ]

Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Lillianna was wide eyed as she listening to the wisdom of Braeden and Neela, and took to heart many of the things they suggested. She shook her head in slight confusion.

"Alas, all these different things running through my head all at once is confusing. I think my plot is too detailed." She laughed slightly at the irony of Neela's last little bit of advice.
"I am afraid of giving away too much at the beginning. I don't know exactly how to shape my main character. She is quite complex." She sighed for a moment and thought about the difficult struggle ahead. She knew she had to keep writing, but right now she felt in a rut. She needed more inspiration - more motivation. Perhaps she would find it as the lazy days continued to roll on. While thinking on these things, she did not forget to say hello and welcome to Elbereth, who had just arrived.
"Please take a seat and do share what knowledge you have."

Elbereth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 481
posted      Profile for Elbereth   Author's Homepage   Email Elbereth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elbereth smiled and looked around the inn. I think it's wonderful Neela. Strange though, I never thought you'd be the type to settle down.

As to the other esteemed writers of the room, I confess I cannot write and would never have the desire to do so. .... Do not mistake me in this last remark, She added hastily as the visitors of the looked at her with icy stares, I do not write because my best friend, our lady tavern owner does and consequently don't need to for she is often giving me little stories to fill my hours. Infact I anxiously awiat the arrival of the next chapter of one of her many books so that I have something to read! She sits down and takes a long drink from the foaming tankard just then brought to her by her old friend and waits for a response hoping that a non-writer would be allowed to remain in such an exclusive inn.

From: Guildford, Surrey, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mandin had been sitting silent, peering at everyone, all this while. At last he spoke, putting forward a suggestion that he was not even quite sure he agreed with, but he decided to bounce it off of everyone there anyway. "Perhaps we could do a sort of read-someone's-story then pass it on sort of thing. One of us could e-mail a story to another, and that other one of his/her stories (or perhaps first one or couple chapters to a story) to another, and so forth and so on, until each of us has a story from someone else in the inn. Then could each edit (throw in suggestions, rather) what we had, pass the suggestions added version back to the author, and send the unedited version on to the next one. I don't know, but personally, I enjoy bouncing my writing off of as many competent readers as possible."
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Lillianna listened attentively to Mandin's suggestion and was reminded more and more of her past experiences in the world. "And my race say that men have no wisdom", she thought to herself.

"Mandin your idea is an agreeable one, but it may become tedious. I don't know how much time people have here, but as long as we don't get bogged down by alot of stories being passed around I think we'd be ok. However, since my venture into writing has only recently begun, I wouldn't be able to offer much advice to the veterns. I could read and appreciate though. [] Also, I think this would be helpful to me. But what would you say to occasionally posting stuff here? Would you rather have the compositions we write remain viewable amongst ourselves?"

[ 07-25-2002, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

"The only problem I have with posting stuff here," said Mandin, letting his mind ramble back over the past months. "Is that people seldom read what is posted, and if they do, they seldom say anything about it. Besides that, if four of us posted a short story each, we would have four of the longest posts in MT, and we may never read them, and all our comments, if posted afterwards, would get jumbled together. If we are going to give out writing, I would suggest doing it via e-mail. However, I would not be adverse to ever now and again posting a extract here, letting people comment on it, and then moving on."
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

"I had thought as much about posting long things" she laughed good naturedly, "I was asking about shorter things - such as poems and whatnot. I am sure if they are not too long and re-accurring, they would be fine to display." she thought for a moment and then turned once more to Mandin.
"I will go along with the idea of sharing stuff through e-mail...it is kind of frightening to me right now but I will give it a chance. We'll have to wait to see what the others will think about it."

Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Serenya listened intently to all the interesting and thought-provoking ideas.

"I have been writing for many years, and my main problem is actually finishing anything longer than a very short short story. The ideas are all in my head, but getting them onto parchment seems to me to be real problem!

I write short pieces fairly often, but my novel has been hanging around for years! There my characters have taken over, and won't do what I want, so the whole project is rather a mess at the moment. Any advice on what to do about that would be most welcome.

Does anyone else write for children? I find that most enjoyable, and have had some stories published."

She blushed, and retired to a far corner.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Mandin leaned forward toward Serenya, waiting for her to be finished, not because he didn't like what she was saying, but he was eagerly, perhaps overly so, waiting to ask a question.
"Tell me, how did you go about getting these published?" he asked. "You see, I also enjoy writing for children, and have written a few stories (though most are not fit to be published). Some, though, I think are. I cannot help you much with longer works, because I have the same problem of not finishing them. However, recently I did just finish a story 60 odd pages in length (about the length of one of the Chronicle of Narnia books) that is also for children. It is, I am almost ashamed to say, the longest thing I have actually finished."

Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Serenya smiled at Mandin.

"My stories were published in magazines, chosen from one the writers' guides (I can't remember which particular scroll I used). Some of my stories I just submitted to the editors, and was agreeably surprised by the response; for some of the others, I wrote asking whether they would be interested in seeing my work - this was less successful!

If you have a number of stories about the same characters, then success with one often leads to the rest being published over a period of time. I sold a series of seven stories for very young children to a weekly newspaper which has a popular page for 'kiddies'.

The best of luck to you!"

She hoped her words would encourage Mandin, as she still could recall in every detail her delight and amazement when she saw her first story in print.

"Do we have any potential illustrators at MT? I have a story in progress which promises to grow up to be a book, but as it is for children, it would be good to be able to submit it to publishers complete with illustrations. The two main characters are an owl and a cat (I know, I know, but it is quite funny. Well, my mother thinks so!)"

Serenya removed herself to a seat outside the inn, as the sunshine was too nice to miss, and took out a pile of parchment and an anachronistic biro.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

Braeden had been quiet for a while. After spurting what words of wisdom she had before, it seemed that the discussion had gone in directions she knew nothing about.

The appearance of Elbereth had perhaps startled her, but the reasons for her silence had nothing to do with the people in the inn. Many ideas had passed through her mind in the last hour, and they had consumed her thoughts as well as her time there.

But now she addressed each writer who had spoken before her:

"Mandin, while I am all for encouraging and helping each other out in our work, I cannot commit to sending my own stories to any of you. I'm afraid I am very protective of my work, and therefore will not give out my stories or poems to those who do not live near to me, even if it is through a private letter.

"Perhaps though, if I am having trouble with a certain paragraph or phrase, I will seek advice from some of you. I am very likely to find problems in working out historical events or scientific aspects in the future for my work. I would gladly appreciate anyone's help there, and how to turn such information into a good style of literature, instead of falling into a textbook-style narrative.

"Lillianna, you are having trouble shaping your main character? If she seems far too complex for you then that is a good thing. For if a main character had nothing wrong with them, or if they had few characteristics, you would find that a reader may soon become bored with them. And so would you. The different attributes of your character can come out in the story in so many different ways. First you must try to outline what those attributes are. Sometimes, during the actual writing of the story, even more attributes can evolve that you hadn't originally thought of.

"There's a quote in that little book I have: If your character isn't a melange of your father, boss, childhood bully, neighbour, and the corner tamale vendor, chances are you've created a cartoon. A novel writer needs to give their main character more 'oomph'. If you are writing a short story, the amount of traits does not matter so much, unless they are to become a series of stories..." Braeden smiled at Serenya peeping through the window, but turned back to Lilli, "Here's another quote: A character without inner turmoil or contradictions belongs in vestments or in a coffin, not in a story.

"If you're having trouble trying to control the different aspects of your character, do what I said before, write them all down, and work out what you feel is important to the storyline. Once you've worked out the important aspects, use them, but don't forget the other ones. They are important too, though perhaps not to the story, they are to the character."

Braeden felt thirsty and took a long sip of her water. She then turned to Serenya and Mandin.

"Finishing a story. One of the hardest things to do. Once you've fallen in love with all your characters, even the ones with extensive flaws, you feel you can't let go of them. You've spent so much time with them; breaking away from your real life just to speak to them and watch them move about the world. Sometimes, it feels as if they are your real life...

"Well, that is how it has been for me. I don't want to sound like I'm boasting, but my novels have reached more than 100 A4 pages; the longest has been 91,000 words. I have not spent less than eleven months writing a book, for I have had other things to do in my life as well as write." She smiled, "Though I would have liked to be able to write all the time, as I'm sure most of you would also prefer.

"At the end of each book, I felt a sense of loss, for I could no longer be with my friends; I could no longer see what my characters were up to each day. My life with them was drawing to an end, and I didn't want it to... There's a few quotes in this little book that have helped me a little as I ended each story.

"A piece of writing will resonate when it's done. Fine-tune your sensibilities to feel when that moment arrives. Usually that moment arrives when you feel there is nothing more to put into the story. However, you can't just leave it there. It must have a natural ending, or else the whole book may be dismissed. The same thing can happen in plays (or films). If the ending doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story, then the audience is left wondering what went wrong or simply feel swindled by the creator.

"We need a sense that the ending is due. The reader needs that as well as the author. Not only that they can sigh with relief that they have gotten through it," she smirked. "Just kidding... Though for the author that may well happen..." Braeden laughed, "I have."

Taking another sip of her water, she continued, "Just as I feel that I should end my input now, the sense that your story is near the end will come to you. The question is how to do that. Truthfully, it is different for each writer. And other professionals may disagree with how you have ended yours. What you need to do is work out your endings. Or just write the one. Then pass it on to someone in your target-reading-group, and see how he or she likes it. If they are not bothered by it, then all should be well. If they were not satisfied with the ending, then ask them how they wished the story to end. Ponder over their response and then gain advice from others, whether they be other writers, or your family and friends. But it is all up to you, in the end."

Braeden sat back in her chair again, as she suddenly felt sleepy. Must be the sound of my own voice, she thought, it's rather tiring. She smiled and then looked again at the others.

[ 07-30-2002, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Lillianna held fast to the words of Braeden and smiled as she listened to the advice of her dear friend. She was very encouraged and movtivated - something she needed in these past few weeks.

Braeden, the fountain of wisdom never seems to subside in you! What a great comfort you are! I am glad to see the complex character I have created is not something to be cause for reprimand. She has grown very dear to me and she has gone through alot of painful things that I can't personally relate(though in some things I can), but I am sure others can. She and this other character are the only ones you look deeply inside. The others are more for backround and for shaping of the story."

she then turned to her friend Serenya, who she had not seen around in some time.

"That is very cool that you got some stories published! Perhaps sometime you can share them with us. I tried to write a children's story once based off of dreams that I had(those were the different worlds the girl went to) but I didn't get very far. It was meant to be a piece of humor. [] Right now, my book is more dramatic and psychologic - a bit different."

[ 07-30-2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

Curumo the Black
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2265

posted      Profile for Curumo the Black   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just then the door burst open and in stomped a stooped figure draped in a tattered grey cloak from under which came glimpses of a glimmering colours. His boots were muddy and as he walked he left a grimy trail. On his head he wore a pointed blue hat that said "wizard" to anyone who knew anything. When he was in the middle of the room he stopped. There huddled around the fireplace amongst quills, pottles of ink, old books, stacks of blank parchment, two recently emptied beer tankards and a single glass of water were a group of people all staring at him with expressions that bordered on scows. This made him take his hat off and bow. "errr sorry about busting in like that," he said then backing into one of the far corners that wasn't occupied he sat down. Something told him that his was in for a good education.

[ 07-30-2002, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Saruman the Many Coloured ]

From: West Middle-Earth | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Pen and Parchment Inn (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help