Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 2)
Author Topic: A Short Tale - A Word Aside
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with the term 'humdinger'.

Could it not run something like the following?
"Ignoring this proved a disruptively difficult experiance, but despite frustrations she acknowledged the truth; that proving anything would be a dangerous proposition, and that twice two makes four."

Edit: or would that call for 'truths' in place of 'truth'?

[ 04-28-2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bethberry perhaps means that we would have a rather nice clause in place.

Laur, in the example you provided, it is my opinion that it would fit much better with a comma after "frustrations" and no punctuation before "that".

Let me see if I could suggest something for the present sentence.

[ 04-28-2002, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Ignoring this proved a disruptively difficult experiance, but despite frustrations she acknowledged the truth; that proving anything would be a
--------
Example:
simple proposition, and would be completed in a short time, could no longer be hoped for.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Maybe not any better.
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I just went and changed the offending final word.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is the relationship of words and punctuation here:

quote:
truth; that
If you take out the semicolon, then what follows is not separated from what it moderates.

This is the simplest answer.

This is not a sentence:
quote:
that proving anything would be a dangerous proposition."
If we take out "that", then it will be.

[ 04-28-2002, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

quote:
that proving anything would be a dangerous proposition is something she had come to understand.

This is a complete sentence, is it not?
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Yes, indeed, Lug. That is what my first post said was needed if the semi-colon remains.

Brick by brick we structure a grammar; you are well named, it seems!

*dances a happy jig*

[ 04-28-2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Then I think we may be able to salvage the sentence without any further changes.

*does not know how to dance very well, so sits down in a corner hoping nobody asks him to dance*

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders if he is a dunce for thinking the story at present a bit confusing*
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I agree with everything you have said Mandin. []

I find it hard to understand how researching one's roots for a year is not resolve enough. "unattainable" is not realisitic, I mean I feel resolved if I can research anything specific for more than a couple of months.

Malgilwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1121

posted      Profile for Malgilwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be alright if I joined your RP?
From: New Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

To those wishing to join the story:
please read the first post of this thread, as it contains all of the relevant information.

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Laurenendorian - I did read the instructions. Honest.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Well in that case, you may just have stumbled across the bit in there giving details about joining in.
Marigold Took the Questor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1941

posted      Profile for Marigold Took the Questor   Author's Homepage   Email Marigold Took the Questor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I may join?
From: Not Alabama! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Ok, continuing our discussion in this thread where it should be. Owing to everyone avoiding this thread, I posted there directly.

Cern: I know it was written as the sentence developed, but our intent should be to try to make it fit. Since this was not done, and in my opinion very difficult in this case, we must either edit the sentence or delete the punctuation.

Or just let Laur worry about it. []

[] Wandering Tuor: you're a really lonely soul. []

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Moved here:

Lug is correct. The comma is redundant after the parentheses and in fact separates items which ought not to be separated (verb and adverbial phrase). Punctuation for included units must be correlative and that is accomplished by the ( ).

Reference: A University Grammar of English, Quirk and Greenbaum, Longmans. Appendix III.5.

The sentence in question:

quote:
Now that others were following the same path, she needed a guide who would be able, without fail, to show her the path that would not lead (even though dangers were inevitable), straight into trouble.
Bb

[ 05-09-2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Laur,

I believe that the correct word here would be might rather than may:
quote:
Well in that case, you may just have stumbled across the bit in there giving details about joining in.
may=permission
might=probability

Again, reference is Quirk and Greenbaum.

Bb

[ 05-09-2002, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Bethberry, I don't believe that I've heard that before. Consulting the Collins dictionary tells me that might is the past and subjunctive form of may. Given in the possible meanings of both words is one which indicates possibility, and under might it says that that usage might be seen as a weak form of the corresponding meaning of may.

It also has a more detailed note on usage:
quote:
The difference between may and might is one of emphasis: he might be coming usually indicates less certainty than he may be coming. Similarly, might I have it? is felt to be more hesitant than may I have it?
You may demolish my argument.
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Oh, I agree that comma is ungrammatical. A pair of parentheses should not create any extra punctuation in the rest of the sentence (that which is not contained by them, that is).
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've only just read this . . perhaps the next time the story is written out in full the offending comma could be abolished.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

That sounds like a reasonable solution.
Robyn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2131
posted      Profile for Robyn   Author's Homepage   Email Robyn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I hope that you all did not mind me just butting in like that. The story is going good isnt it.
From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyTheElementMage
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2081
posted      Profile for AmyTheElementMage   Author's Homepage   Email AmyTheElementMage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If I start to get in the way, tell me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~Not all who wander are lost~
-J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Laffette Castle | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help