Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 18)
Author Topic: A Short Tale - A Word Aside
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's ok - I'm just happy to see you posting again!

Let's hope this man and his reader-group know something important []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One can always hope ...
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes ! []

Question though : to what this "its" in the current sentence is referring ? []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Grammatically, it must be to that "one of the reader-groups" that he belongs to.

We may have lost some of the logic somewhere along the way, though []
Let's try to create a new logic where some of the old one is missing []

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's what I thought as well. It's the only possibility.

I will try my best to find some lost logic somewhere. []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I suppose there should be a full stop after my latest entry - I'll leave it for the next poster to add, though, in case he (why do I suppose it's a 'he'? [] ) changes the sentence structure after all.
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

*bump*
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I'll read it again some time this week [] and see what ought to be done with it - perhaps we could get nearer to a conclusion?

Thank you for picking it up again!

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Did I get that right ? The young lady isn't a direct descendant of the Elf-Friends, only of the old Eregion-dwellers. But someone found one of the lost connections between the Eregion-dwellers and the Elf-friends, so she would be descendant of the first Elf-friends to have made contact with the Eregin-dwellers ? []

Or something.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Then I guess I've drawn the logical conclusion of your statement.

Now perhaps we need to explain it further in the tale. []

I think we're getting somewhere, though []

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I think that to avoid further problems ( [] ) we need to clarify who is "they" in the current sentence. []
I guess "they" could refer to :
  • the ancestors
  • the Eregion-dwellers
  • the Elf-friends
  • the historians

Should we settle for one (or more) choice(s) ?

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

It would be either the ancestors or the historians.
I don't remember if I thought of one of them when I wrote 'they', so I'm just trying to find what makes most sense from the previous sentences.

If it had been the historians, wouldn't he already know what they had found? Or is he debating how to interpret the histories?

And we are not discussing what to write, we're discussing how to interpret what we've already written. []

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Yes, it makes also more sense to me that "they" refers to the ancestors, since two sentences before, we have said that "the ancestors have found only one of the list connections ...". So if we're saying "Could they have found", it would make more sense that we mean "Could the ancestors have found" and then precise something about whatever they found ? []

Is that clear enough ? []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I think that's good enough.
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Interesting to see that it's been moving again - I should update the full story and join in. Perhaps we can bring it closer to a conclusion?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Perhaps we can bring it closer to a conclusion?"
Is there such a thing??? []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 18)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help