Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 17)
Author Topic: A Short Tale - A Word Aside
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about it - it's easy to forget when you don't know until after you have posted that you are now on a new page ...

Should it be moved to your top post, or do we just leave it where it is at the second post?

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think it is fine where it is now []

Okay, I am not sure of who could possibly be the young lady's ancestors. So I thought we might as well discuss a few possibilities here, Varna (as I guess it's mainly the two of us now anyway [] [] [] ).

So far, I've written 'and', so that if you want to add another adjective to 'great', you can. If you don't feel like it and that we manage to work out who the ancestors could actually be (how far in history, btw ?) then I can still amend my post. []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was worried we weren't supposed to discuss it - but perhaps the rules aren't quite as strict as that?
quote:
nor may they collaborate with another on which words should be posted, either through MT or otherwise.
So perhaps a general discussion of some of the contents might be in order? []

Also, discussing grammar is in order, and I wonder if we've gotten ourselves into some small muddle, although it's probably more style than grammar - I'll look at it again later, as I haven't got the time just now.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think you got it : it's not about discussing precise words that we're chosing, it's about trying to find a pattern to the story - not that it has been done in the past [] []

It's also more about my lacking of inspiration []

About the grammar - no problem, let me know if something's fishy, and I will amend my post []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
She suddenly broke the news that the intruder, who was also standing nonchanantly by a window, had told her that the only thing he knew about her heritage, was that she was not a real descendant of the original Elf-friends from Númenor. Indeed, her ancestors were only the extended family of the great and ancient
How is this additional information (in the incomplete sentence) a part of "the only thing he knew"?

It must be, as it is introduced with "indeed", thus referring to something the speaker already knows. It cannot be new information, as noone is introduced as giving such information, so it must be the intruder talking about what little he knows - perhaps explaining how he knows that she cannot be such a descendant?

(It has to be vague enough not to explain who she really is, otherwise it wouldn't be part of "the only thing he knew".)

And the intruder seems to imply that he doesn't know who she really is - so we will need another source for that. Either another person entering the scene, or some more written information, either something they have overlooked in what they've already read, or some new source of text.

Perhaps the intruder will be able to reveal something that he doesn't know about? I don't know how he would do that, and I don't think we should discuss any details about it. But other than that, we need something new, as this sentence cannot give the solution.

We should be careful about negatives now - every time we say that something is NOT whatever, we cut off one possibility and may have to introduce a new one. Which takes time.

Btw, when we finally conclude this (and finish with THE END), I think I'll ask WGW to lock the thread so that nobody would be tempted to extend it. The discussion thread should stay open, though.

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

quote:
(It has to be vague enough not to explain who she really is, otherwise it wouldn't be part of "the only thing he knew".)
I think that sums it up quite nicely []

quote:
We should be careful about negatives now - every time we say that something is NOT whatever, we cut off one possibility and may have to introduce a new one. Which takes time.
Okay, I'll try to be careful. []

quote:
Btw, when we finally conclude this (and finish with THE END), I think I'll ask WGW to lock the thread so that nobody would be tempted to extend it. The discussion thread should stay open, though.
[]

Now I have to think of a new word... []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

And Telpy has joined us! []

I hope she stays for a while! And that Cernunnos continues to contribute as well.

It was never meant to be a story just between two people, although it has to be just that at times.

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I'm not entirely getting where this ongoing sentence is... going to. [] So I'm leaving it to you guys, maybe. I'll be ready for next sentence, though []
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope she stays for a while!
Just for a while? []
From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

A good long while *hugs*
Preferably permanently, but she has been known to come and go at times ;-)

Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This current sentence seems to be a tad bit [] .
From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

...two rival elephants...
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Yes, this sentence makes my head spin. []
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

Aim for a fullstop. []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

They tried to dominate the others, but they never succeeded. Makes for a good balance. Finally, the paragraph makes some sense. []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Anyone for any ideas to continue the sentence? I posted last and cannot double-post, according to the rules of the story.
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

So now we're ready to start on the next sentence and take it in whatever direction we want - only it should go towards giving more information, not just be rambling. []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Since I finished the last sentence, I cannot start the next one, right?
Anyone for a try?

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The next word could be man or woman?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

It could - feel free to choose one or the other and post it!
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I have asked WGW to remove Numenorean Sword Trainer's post in A Short Tale, as he only post his own thing and doesn't even try to see what we're doing. Hopefully it will be gone before long - until then, just ignore it and post as usual around it.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could try sending NST a PM to suggest editing his/her post?

[ 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

WGW has removed the post now (thank you!).

I think we should just wait and see if NST tries to come back, and then explain the object of the thread.
(It is made clear enough in the first post, if he/she had read it.)

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Sorry for not posting the link and the beginning of the paragraph in the first post of the page, I didn't notice that my post had started a new page []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 17)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help