Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 10)
Author Topic: A Short Tale - A Word Aside
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I mean a reference to the Aside thread from the story post that you edited. A link to the post where we just discussed it.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Grammar question: Should that be "at" rather than "to"?
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter until the next turn uses a verb form.
Which I've done, and made the helping verb you chose work.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

So both "made an attempt to read" and "made an attempt at reading" would be equally correct? Is there any difference in how the forms are used?
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know they're both correct.
No, I don't know why, or which is better.
I'm not the grammar queen.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Pints, you idiot.
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Butterburs wouldn't work?
From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

It definitely wouldn't. Butterbur brings pints of beer. Very simple concept. Even you should have been able to get it right.
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, problem strainidrainiated.
From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

not
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

He has changed it again - does it work better now?
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

no
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

*serves more pop-corn for the King of Doriath, next time he comes by*
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*munch munch*

More salt, please...

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

*empties salt cellar over Swelf's head*
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I suggest we just ignore Mandos' latest post and summarise the story without it, as we did with Snöwdog's post a while ago.

The difference is that Snöwdog only posted once, and for a joke, he never tried to be a participant of the RP.

But posts that defy the intention of the first post - to make a coherent story, not just nonsense - may deserve to be ignored as well.

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Works for me. Though I can't post next, as my last post immediately preceded the MANDOS post we propose to ignore.
pints. The word pints would fit nicely.

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There ya are, guys. []
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Thank you, dear! []
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Yes, thanks, Lark!
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Funny - I've got the Top of the Page post again! []
I've had five of the last six of those []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Your last word would be "scrutinizing", wouldn't it? I nearly forgot that the sentence started with a verb in the -ing form []
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Miranthridel, the story is set in Arda.
Sanskrit really doesn't fit.
Would you mind, terribly, if I asked you to change your post?
Please?

Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I put that in there as it seemed to be what the piece was asking for - something that doesn't fit in Arda, which allows later authors to come back and explore that point or ignore it at their leisure.

Hence, I would mind changing it, but if enough people have an issue with it, I'll capitulate [] .

[]

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

The technique of this story doesn't lend itself very well to complicated explorations of minor points (aka side-tracking), something that I think we've finally taught Mandos (who used to make lots of those, and worse than this one). Something from far away - even from Valinor - would be possible to explore within the framework of the story, something from a different world is not.
From the first post:
quote:
... sentences that further a particular storyline. Don't jump around too much.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 10)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help