Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 1)
Author Topic: A Short Tale - A Word Aside
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A Short Tale, as the veteran members of the board may fondly (or not so fondly!) remember, is a rather peculiar form of RP. Because of this;

Everybody who wishes to take part must read this post, carefully and in its entirety, before posting on the RP.

Sorry for shouting, but it is really quite easy for people to confuse matters.

---

The basic rule is that only one word of the story is posted at a time. One may not post two successive words, nor may they collaborate with another on which words should be posted, either through MT or otherwise. Of course, I cannot enforce this, but doing so takes the whole point away. You may add any punctuation directly before or after a word.

The person who completes a sentence should, usually by editing their post afterwards (to avoid simultaneous posts) put in the entire sentence. It may occasionally be neccessary to make minor alterations at this point for the sentence to make sense. Every few sentences, it would be helpful if someone were to post a summary of the story so far, both in the thread itself and here.

The story should make sense. The first version of this RP failed because it became disjointed nonsense. So please, please try and make coherent sentences that further a particular storyline. Don't jump around too much.

---

I will make a request that for the first two pages of the story, only people who were involved in the previous two should post, just to get the ball moving. After that, anyone may post, providing they have read these rules and endeavour to keep to them.

---

Now, on with the story!

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would you accept me as an apprentice? I'm new around here.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In utter chaos lies impeccable symmetry.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, Laur, did you have to start with a predictable, ordinary article?
From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you may both join.

Why would I edit my message, Minas Morgul?

Bethberry seems to think that the answer to everything is speed. It is, in point of fact, wit.

Edited: repeatedly.

[ 04-27-2002, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Because Laur and I were engaging unknowingly in a posting duel.

And I caught my faux pas and deleted before he posted about it.

[ 04-26-2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I'll wait till you settle down and stop editing your message here.
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

And I was waiting for the thread to refresh. []

And you seem to think wit is. Admit it, I always have you pinned to the ground.

[ 04-26-2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Minas Morgul ]

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I went into the RP thread when I saw Minas Morgul as the last poster (on the main page) and then the post looked familiar.
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Reason enough for there to be a changing back of names, methinks.
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

You think? How nice! But how does it matter what you think?
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Could somebody please delete their post? We seem to have two main verbs.
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Flood Control! This is a big problem with this thread o master!

And I think I posted first. []

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

What happened? Will go check and delete.
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Where is Pilsbury??
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Asleep.
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Eöl, is 'resolve' supposed to follow the 'now'?
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nope

*goes to edit*

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

don't edit it
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I'm not changing mine, so you go back and change yours back.
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Edited twice, happy now Rocky [] []
From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Yes Sir! I thought I was smart to make resolve fit in. Then you go and change it to "it". []

[ 04-28-2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

You know, even with Bb's post 'resolve' would still make sense...
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

The semi-colon after 'truth' has been made grammatically incorrect.

*curtsies sadly but respectfully*

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Oh. May I ask how?
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Ignoring this proved a disruptively difficult experiance, but despite frustrations she acknowledged the truth; that proving anything would be a dangerous
---------------------
proposition, and

~~~

It would appear that "that..." is a clause modifying "truth" and semi-colons do not separate nouns from modifiers.

It could be corrected without removing the semi-colon only if the "that proving anything..." turns out to be a nominative clause acting like a noun and followed by its own verb. Given that we now have an "and", it could prove to be a humdinger of a nominative clause.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » A Short Tale - A Word Aside (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help