Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  45  46  47 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 4)
Author Topic: The Theft of Umbar
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aglod walked over and stood beside Elrond. Haidan stepped out from the group, bowing low to his lord he said, "Elrond I present to you the company to Umbar." He presented in order as he spoke, "Adanedhel, mighty and true from the wilderness, Bethberry, the fair daughter of Goldberry, a master falconer with her raptor Wyrg. Wise Mithrandir who is called Gandalf in the common tongue, you know quite well, and at his side, the loyal fire of unkown origin, Madmartigan. They have proven their worth so far in breif battle, they have shown a glimps of their might, these are my four, noble Elrond," Haidan bowed once more and stepped back to the company.

Elrond nodded to the company, "Welcome to Rivendell brave warriors and fair maiden. I trust Haidan in his choice of companions, from the looks of you, it seems he choose well enough." Elrond's face was fair but strong, like it had aged with a maintained care, his eyes gleamed and shown with intelligence and wisdom of a noble lord of old. This was indeed a lord of elves.

He walked first over to Adanedhel, the man seemed small infront of Elrond, "Your name holds more than you probably realize warrior." Elrond looked closely at Adanedhel, "I see nobility in your blood, it is far but present. Perhaps in time you will discover the truth in your past."

Turning to Bethberry, Elrond almost smiled as if he recognized someone familiar, someone much older then himself. "Haidan was fortunate to come across such a maiden, Bethberry. You were with Gandalf no doubt, at your first meeting with my scout. The company need not worry about wound or hunger with the beautiful daughter of Goldberry along side them."

Elrond looked at Gandalf, "So Mithrandir, old friend, it appears our paths have crossed once again, though without suprise as such a quest would indeed arouse the attention of one such as you. You seem to have acquired a close companion of your own," glancing over at Madmartigan.

Elrond walked over to the silent warrior who was trying his best to stay inconspicous, Elrond eyes met Madmartigan's, and he almost shrank in the presence of the Lord of Imladris, "You follow Gandalf do you?" Studying him for a moment Elrond said, "Then stay at his side and protect him with all your might, though you may find he needs little, he may return your favor in the future. There is a good will in your eyes and a distant fire in your heart, indeed you will assist this quest well."

Returning to his seat, Elrond motioned for the others to sit as well. The company took their place infront of Elrond, Gandalf smoked his pipe thoughtfully. "Long ago, before the ancient realm of Arnor was lost, there was a time of great peace. There was in this peace, kings of the line of Númenórë, who had brought with them on their long sail east, 7 orbs of great power. These were the Palantir, the seeing stones, and each was placed in a stronghold within Middle Earth. These orbs had the ability to communicate to each other, the power to show whoever gazed into them, things that are far away. But due to the greed and corruption of these kings and men, 4 were lost, 3 from Arnor and one from the city of Osgiliath in Ithilien. But the one from Osgiliath, Anarion's Palantir, did not remain lost.

"During the Kinstrife of Gondor, when the men of that realm fought over the kingship, Osgiliath and it's dome were burned and destroyed, the Palantir sunk in the mighty Anduin and none fathomed it being found ever again. But a few months ago, a message came from the City of the Corsairs in Umbar. A spy of Gondor sent word that the Haradrim of the south, a savage race, had found Anarion's Palantir on the shores of the Bay of Belfalas in the Havens of Umbar. Minas Morgul, Minas Ithil of old, has long been under the control of the darkness and the palantir that was there used by the dark lord and his servants. If the Haradrim are communicating and are in league with the dark lord, the future consequences could be disasterous."

"Your quest, is to take back Anarion's Palantir. If this is not possible, then you must plunge it once again into the sea where it shall never be found again. The reason 5 are needed, is due to the size of the palantir. One man can not lift it alone, and a large host of men or elves would fail in recovering the stone in the heavily gaurded city. I tell you now, if you wish to leave the company, you will not be thought of any less. This is a perilous journey, you will face many hardships and dangers. If you are weary you may return to whence you came. "

Elrond looked at the company long and hard, studying their reaction. Haidan sat unmoved.

(OOC: Ok ok i'm done )

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Out of deep thought, Aglod spoke: "My lord, since we are going to the City of The Coarsairs, it would be wise if we travled there by ship. The lands of Harondor and Haradwaith are desolate and debtable. If we took to the ocean it would cut our travle time and it would be a speedier escape. Since I come from the havens I can pilot any sea craft.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Bethberry moved forward to speak, and this time all could see the light in her eyes as clear and as sharp and as formidable as sparkling river rapids*

Venerable Elrond,

In my person, you see the mirth and gladsome grace of my mother.
In my bearing, the wholesome virtue of my father.
In my name, the steadfastness of he whose words I bear.
In my actions, the nurture of truth beyond the cloistered quarters.

Iarwain's daughter pledges herself to this quest.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elrond nodded, "Aglod you shall indeed go with the company, but your wisest approach would be that of more subtlety. The sea is the quickest route, but the Havens and the coast of Umbar are well guarded and watched. If you land in Ethir Anduin, the mouths of the great river, then by land to Umbar, you will be somewhat safer. An attack on the sea is much more difficult to avoid than an attack on land. But you are right, Aglod, about the escape by sea being the quickest, that means you must sneak a boat into the Havens. It is possible, for spies of Gondor have left that way before. It would be best to go to Minas Tirith and find these spies, they will no doubt show you the way and perhaps assist you. The steward knows of your quest and he can give you their names."

Haidan remained unmoved. Then he spoke, "I agree with Elrond. Aglod your service would be invaluable to us. What say the rest of you?" Haidan looked at the rest of the company.

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Remembers how he had twice passed Snowdog's Inn, once on a journey North East in the pouring rain, then on a journey to the Shire through gripping cold, each time feeling a slight pull to step inside for warmth and comfort. On those two occasions something unspoken had told him to resist the pull. But then a third journey led him again past the same Inn, at which time he had entered decisively ... and just in time to overhear Haidan mention "Rivendell." *

Indeed Elrond, I rather feel that the quest led me to itself. Before knowing what quest would be your bidding, I pledged myself fully in service to it, based on the honor of your name and that of all your House. That it deals with so serious and noble a task as the recovery of a palantir confirms all my dedication to this endeavor.

And from what I've observed on our way to Imladris, I could ask for no finer companions. The apt leadership of Haidan, the youthful enthusiasm of Adanedhel, the merry light which Bethberry brings, the ... mystery ... of Madmartigan * said with a good-natured pause and a look towards his follower * ... the sturdiness of Aglod's ability. I also will do my best to be worthy of this quest. * bows *

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
'i will stay and protect this company no matter what assails them. I am sure with this other fair warrior *looks over at Madmartigan* and I could protect this company from many a peril, I shall go' Adanedhel had spoken and now listened for the others responses
*bows low*

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan gave a small shrug of his shoulders and addressed Elrond. *

Only a fool could fail to see the importance of this quest. The minions of Mordor and Minas Morgul are indeed no friends of mine, nay, they are sworn enemies. I will do all I can to be a thorn in their side.

At the least, I know the southern lands and southern peoples well, and perhaps could be of some other service besides protection.

Besides, I was commanded by a very fierce old woman to follow Gandalf for as long as necessary, and for the sake of my ears, I fear crossing her wrath.

*Madmartigan turned to Adahnedal and gave a short nod and smile. *

I would consider it an honor to fight by your side, my friend. Mayhaps the singers will sing of Adahnedel and Madmartigan, the unstoppable, years from now.

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

"Then it is settled," said Elrond, "the company to Umbar is formed and bound by word. I apologize, but I must retreat our council, for I am needed elsewhere. I leave Haidan to appease any future questions. May the light from the Star of Eärendil shine upon your quest. Good night." With that Elrond nodded and went off with his servant.

Haidan was quick to get to work. He had a servant bring several maps which they laid upon a stone table. Some of the lands the company recognized easily, some were not so familiar. The group crowded around the maps and Haidan traced a path with his finger as he spoke. "The easiest road to Gondor," Haidan said, "would be to head west to the Grey Havens and leave from the harbor there. Aglod I trust you have a crew ready at your disposal? If we head south along the coast line and come up Ethir Anduin, then we can sail up the great river to a port near Minas Tirith. Once there we can consult these spies and decide our next course of action." Haidan looked up at the group for their opinion.

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

"My crew is all ways ready to set sail Haidin." said Aglod.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan cocked an eyebrow.*

This will be interesing. I've never been to sea before. The largest boat I've ever been in was a canoe, on the river Poros.

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*Looking at the maps and deciding upon a route created a heightened affect among the members of the company. The dusk glow in the evening sky now held greater portent. The enchantment of the music wafting in from other rooms became more and more grandly visionary as the elves began to sing songs of the Blessed Realm. Even the torches seemed to burn more intently, swelling the flittering light of the fireflies into shining beacons and making the hanging tapestries come alive with their stories of ancient epics. The essence of Rivendell became a palpable presence in Bethberry's heart. She realized that the adventure never ends and, especially, that to this company now fell the responsibility to carry on the story.*

I am humbled and awed by this honour. *spoke Bethberry. And this time the light shining from her eyes was like the shimmering light of a tidal pool reflecting back to those who would see.*

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
'OHHHHHHH NO!' Adanedhel moaned to himself

Adanedhel had never been on a boat before and because he had always lived with the elves of Mirkwood, being either up a tree (which he loved doing) or being firmly on the ground. Of course Adanedhel loved swimming he had never ever been in a boat before and he wasn't sure what too think.

'I'm sure Aglod is a very good salior' Adanedhel reasurres himself..

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Haidan smirked with the two warriors comments. "This shall be an interesting sail to Gondor indeed," he said to himself. More servants came and removed the maps after everyone had looked carefully over them. "Very well, that is the course that shall be taken. We'll leave tomorrow at sunrise, as for tonight, enjoy the fruits of master Elrond's home. You may wander his halls as long as you wish, the chambers that require secrecy you will find gaurded. If I do not see you until tomorrow, good night."

With that the elf went off through the corridors, finding a room with elven music floating out. Here he sat down off to the side and listened to the soft, soothing, music, a warm fire was lit.

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Gandalf the Grey looked out the window of the room he was staying in at Rivendell and saw a hunting party on horseback just starting out. His business would not allow him to join them. Rather, he would proceed to Umbar with the rest of his company. That this journey would take him to the Grey Havens filled Gandalf with a certain nostalgia, for the past, for the future. *

(OOC: I cross-posted a similar post to an RP called "The Hunting Party" ... which coincidentally, is taking place in Rivendell as we speak. The RP Master of "The Hunting Party" hasn't officially given word I can join that thread, so I may end up deleting my post from the other thread and just leaving it here.)

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*Bethberry chuckled as she recalled the Hobbit-like behaviour of Adanedhel and Madmartigan upon learning of the voyage.

Feeling keenly the affects of circumstance and place, she was interested in what Haidan might tell her of the Elvish music. She had later that evening traced his footsteps into the corridor and entered the hall where she found him still sitting. She sought a seat near enough to him to allow conversation but not so close as to intrude upon his private contemplation.

She marvelled at this place by the River Bruinen, so like yet so unlike her home by the Withywindle. She could sense that Gandalf the Grey was also affected by this place. He seemed to come into a more focussed purpose. She was thankful that he had drawn her out into this quest.*

What places there be on Middle-Earth *she thought as she fell into a quiet sleep* if only we have a will to see.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Haidan stirred from his thoughtful trance as Bethberry entered the room. The elven musicians were playing a melodic tune, hypnotizing in its delicate intricasy, it was just the right measure and rhythm to Haidan, not too slow and not too fast.

The singing started, the voices intertwined and flirted with the music, a transcending dance of lyric and note. "Do you know what they say Bethberry?" Haidan said quietly, "They sing of the world around them, the valleys, the mountains, the forests. They sing of the lands of long ago, and the lands they will soon gaze upon. Of the lives of the people within the realm of Middle Earth, and beyond the Great Sea. I would recite them in the common tongue, but it would do no justice, an emotion is best felt and not described. The two exist as one, word and music, and to change one would be to change the essence of what it is. Much like that of our lives, change causes more change, till what we are left with, is not what we had."

Haidan stopped, and his stare faltered, "But not many grasp, or are willing to grasp, what I speak of." He rose and bowed low to Bethberry, "I bid you good night fair daughter of the river maiden." With that Haidan walked back down the starlit path to the side house, to rest before the next day's journey.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
* Madmartigan asked to be woken at the designated time, and retired to his room. Once there he pulled the family journal back out of his pack, and made a small notation. He flipped through the thin pages to well worn passage he had puzzled over for years. Perhaps he would have he chance to ask Gandalf's opinion on their sea voyage, or maybe sooner.*

* But as he read the passage over, he decided to seek Gandalf out, while he still had the chance. Rising from a chair in his room, he walked towards the room where Gandalf was staying and knocked softly on the door. A voice bade him enter. *

"Well," Gandalf said, "if it isn't my faithful companion. What brings you here? No trouble with your ears, I hope. If they pain you, perhaps you should see the elves." Gandalf grinned.

"I wished to see if you were not so busy as to offer an opinion," Madmartigan replied, giving a smile to Gandalf's humorous poke.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Madmartigan ]

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*Bethberry stood and bowed her thanks to Haidan and then returned to her room where it seemed she wandered into a dream of music.*

~~
Hey dolly-lo, dolly-dey, hey-hey,
The fields they are for soothing.
And timeless halls errantry recall
In echoed, tinseled music.
"Bear on, bear on."
The measured song
Inspires the pledg'd troth:
Through water, air and earth,
Evil find them but in dearth.
Dolly-ho, dolly hey, dolly day and away.

~~

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

Since Aglod wasn't tired, he decided to sit down and smoke a little from his pipe.
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Adanedhel decided to join Aglod somking his pipe.

'the joy of a pipe master Aglod, is a wonder indeed' Then they both sat in silence smoking their pipes

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

* At Madmartigan's words "I wished to see if you were not so busy as to offer an opinion," ... Gandalf replied with another grin: *

Didn't you know? Offering opinions is my business.

* The wizard motioned to Madmartigan to take a chair and make himself comfortable, then settled back himself to listen. Gandalf was very glad of the opportunity to speak again with this warrior, and would certainly do his best to provide wise counsel. *

....... (OOC: Hey Madmartigan ... Even though the action of this story is again underway, please go ahead with our discussion, with the understanding that the discussion has taken place in flashbacks. Thanks!)

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

With the morning light came a brisk wind down from the Misty Mountains. Haidan was awake and active as the others made their way from their rooms. He was conversing with an elven servant in the sitting room when he noticed the company slowly finding their way to the chamber. He nodded to Bethberry, in regards to their interaction last night.

Addressing the company Haidan said, "Well I pray you slept well, we have a long travel ahead of us today. Our horses are ready at the front of the house and our supplies and packs are waiting with them. Scouts from the west have returned and have reported some activity south of the Great East road, but that is our road, the Trollshaws have been reported as swarming with fell creatures. Hopefully we can make it to the Southern Downs within the night of tomorrow."

"Breakfast is ready if you desire it, though it is not much, we elves do not eat hearty in the morning." Indeed it was so, for outside there was the same table as the night before with a slim but filling breakfast on top. Haidan grabbed a biscuit and a link of sausage but did not sit. He was busy arranging plans with more elves.

When all had eaten, they made their way outside to the front of the house. There they collected their packs and supplies, some of which were soft warm elven cloaks of unknown grey material, and mounted their horses. Rivendell seemed to renue the steeds, for they seemed eager about the journey ahead. Haidan led them down the trail they came in on, down around the side of the hills. The roar of the Bruinen began to fade behind them, but the memories of those who had yet to come to Rivendell until yesterday, remained strong till the end of their days. It was mid morning when they crossed the Ford of Bruinen.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

So Haidan, the Trollshaws are teeming with unpleasant activity, and we purpose to go right through the area rather than avoid it? That makes for a quest all by itself from the sound of it.

* Thus spoken while all are on horseback reaching the Ford of Bruinen, yet Gandalf asks simply in the hopes of clarifying exactly what the company might be up against, all the while fully intending to follow the path of Haidan's choosing.

Gandalf had eaten amply enough from the Elvish breakfast fare of leftover biscuits, sausage, and cheese, after a good night's sleep after his conversation with Madmartigan. His sword had been returned to him, as had been the weapons of the others. *

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

You misunderstand me Mithrandir. We mean to travel south of the Road, the Trollshaws are far more treacherous right now. We'll go along the same path we took to Rivendell but head more west then south. I know of a good site we can rest at for the evening. It is just under half the way from the South Downs, in the shallow woods of that area.

The road to the Grey Havens will take us slightly north of Bree, for the dark spies are most likely still there in town, and through the ancient realm of Fornost and Lake Nunuial. This land is rarely patrolled by evil forces now, but the memory of the wars of old that went on there I'm sure are still prevelent in your mind, old friend. The river Lhun is too far north and west for the enemy to watch, and the power of Cirdan's people keeps the area clear of unwanted guests.

The company rode on, but the wind was getting colder, an ill feeling came upon Haidan.

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Yes Haidan, my confusion comes partly from trying to estimate that "some activity" you spoke of to the South, and wondering how far South from our road the reports were coming in. I mistook your words to mean that since we were being hard pressed from Southern activity, we might venture closer to the Trollshaws than otherwise would be prudent ... or I thought perhaps creatures have been seen streaming South from the Trollshaws. In any case, the further details you've provided sound satisfactory. Thank you for the clarification. In truth I know our route well. * noticing that Haidan does not look well * What is it?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  45  46  47 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help