Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  45  46  47 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Theft of Umbar
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Exactly my friend. Which is indeed why we are bypassing them all together, Aglod. We'll pass over the Last Bridge and then head straight for the Bruinen cross. There we'll turn north and go straight on to the ford of Rivendell."

Haidan led the company onward to a shallow of the Bruinen. This river ran straight through Rivendell and the water remained pure for a long while on its march to meet the Hoarwell. The going was much easier than any had anticipated with no more sudden attacks.

It was late afternoon when they crossed and stopped on the other side to rest and eat, Bethberry once again surprised the company with her talent at providing ample food and drink. Something about her had reminded Haidan or someone, someone he had seen many years ago, during his travels through the Old Forest. Haidan leaned against a tree and smoked on his caked pipe, conversing with Aglod the mariner of the affairs of his people far away.

Once they had rested and their steeds had drank from the cool waters of the Bruinen, the company set off again. They had travelled all day and night and when the twilight of dawn was quickly approaching, they reached the Ford of Rivendell. "Have any of you, save Gandalf and Aglod, been guests in the House of Elrond?" Haidan asked the company as he looked to the near valley.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
'Nay, i haven't had the pleasure of visiting Elrond's fair halls. My travels don't permit me the time. But i have heard the wonderfull tales of the food and song of the Rivendell and yearn to be there soon' Adanedhel said to Haiden's question looking up ahead
From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Bethberry looks back and nods at Adanedhel.*

I also am curious about Rivendell. From the way you were restoring your sword, Adanedhel, I would have guessed that you are more familiar with dwarves than elves.

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"There is much more than just food and song at Imladris my good friend." said Aglod with a gleam in his eyes at Adanedhel. "There is a little bit of everything there." "The mountains, the plains, the woods and the sea." And there is more, much more.....
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looking over at Bethberry.
'I have lived with the dwarves for a while in the lonely mountain, guarding caravans of gold to and from the lake men. When i was there i picked up their habits of caring for your weapons and tools with special care because if you don't you may rue that you didn't during a fight with a blunt and notched sword that won't cut through anything.
I can use a bow nearly as well as i use my sword, but i like open battles and hand to hand combat against the hiding and fighting from afar as the elves do' He looked over at Aglod

'I do await the stay at Rivendell with anticipation, and hope to have many a long talk with you in his fair halls' Adanedhel grinned.

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Not all elves fight the way you imagine good Adanedhel, be careful what you say in present company." A stern look came across Haidan's face. "In days of old, the dark one himself feared the elves in open combat, those abilities have not changed merely the world around them. Perhaps you will see the true fury of an elf on our journey." His face went calm again. "But I mean no insult to you warrior, for that rage shall be right at your side fighting the same foe."

Haidan turned back to the valley. "Aglod is right but no words could describe the splendor of Imladris, or Rivendell in the common tongue. All of you will be comforted and your worries will subside once within the confines of the Half-Elvens realm."

The company moved on into the valley. The land was step at the foothills of the Misty Mountains. They travelled a smooth path cut in the sides of large hills with green slopes. Trees abounded and the air was sweet and clear. The sound of the Bruinen was like a song of great beauty, sung by a fair maiden of long ago. The path wound its way further and further into the valley. Finally, Haidan stopped at the top of a slight hill on the path, and gazed down upon Rivendell. The party had arrived.

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Gandalf rode serene during all Haidan's speech to Adanedhel, confident of the mutual honor of these two to hold true despite their different backgrounds. He was looking forward to music and poetry, as well as eager for further information towards recovery of the palantir. This quest to him was a riddle wrapped in a cloak of whispers unheard but only hinted at. This aura of not knowing was what had kept Gandalf silent and musing throughout most of the journey so far. *
Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

'I beleive you Haidan. Thankyou for reminding me of the Elves true honour. I remember the stories of long ago of the Elves and there fearllessness in battle that is told throughout the land. They have fought with foes any great warrior would qail at, i am deeply sorry for my ignorance Haidan'
Adanedhel then reached over his shoulder drew his sword and yet again started to sharpen and clean the mighty blade

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

It was mid morning when Haidan led the company down a path through rows of trees and past the large home of Elrond. Winter had come to Rivendell, but all about was still alive with greens and browns and golds. Birds were singing softly, almost in duet with the river. He led them to a side house with beautiful willows hanging over the roof. Haidan seemed to relax in his saddle and one could almost catch a smile in the usual stern face. The house lay beside a shallow gorge with green embankments, the Bruinen ran swiftly at the bottom. As the riders dismounted, other elves came from the side of the house to take the steeds to the stable for a well needed rest. Haidan led the company into the home.

The party entered a wide room with a vaulted ceiling. More servants came and took their cloaks and what weaponry each was willing to surrender. To the left was a door that led to the stables, to the right was the kitchen, already filled with busy elves preparing for the evening's diner. "This is where we shall stay." He said to the party. "I hope you find everything well, it is a more humble dwelling then the Half-Elven's but it suites our purpose nicely."

Haidan guided them down a hall infront of them. Murals of ancient battles and heroes of long ago were painted on the walls. There were 6 rooms in all, 3 on each side of the hallway. "Each of you shall have your own sleeping quarters, as well as your own wash rooms, one is even furnished with a perch, just the right size for a hawk." Haidan said as he nodded to Bethberry. At the end of the hall was a sitting room with a fire going and seats placed here and there, perfect for lively conversations. Haidan turned to the group, "I suggest you all rest now, we've travelled a long way with little or no sleep. Servants will wake you for diner. After we eat, then I will show you the rest of Rivendell. Elrond seeks council with us this evening so all questions will be answered there. I thank you for trusting me this far, it appears I did not choose poorly."

With that, Haidan bowed low and made his way to the large stone porch outside that overlooked the river, a small fountain sat in the middle. He took a seat in an old wooden chair that overlooked the Bruinen and sighed heavily, the soothing sound of the rushing water relaxed all of him.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Madmartigan followed the fair elf to his assigned room. When the elves had asked for his weapons, he had gladly given up the dagger from his belt, and the one from his boot, but had hesitated to relinquish Fireblade to their hands. He decided that if he could not trust the elves, Middle-earth was indeed a terrible place, and so he handed it over calmly.

Madmartigan washed himself clean, then retired to his room and began to clean his armor. When he finished, the armor was shiny, but no amount of poloshing could remove the dents and scratches. Somehow it seemed almost fitting.

He pulled a small book, the journal of his ancestors, out of his pack, and looked over it quickly. He then retired to his bed, to get rest before diner.*

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Gandalf bowed his thankfulness to Haidan and the servants of Rivendell for their hospitality, then headed down the hall and entered the second room on the right. He had immediately handed over his blade Täsmällinen to the Elves for safekeeping, but kept his staff.

Having asked that his clothes be laundered while he rested for several hours, Gandalf washed and changed into a spare grey robe that had been placed on his bed. Then servants came to see to his weather-stained garments.

At sunset he went down to the sitting room, to hear the Elven bards play harps and sing ballads, and to trade light-hearted tales of adventure with them. Gandalf had invited the rest of his travelling companions as well to join him in this revel of music and verse. Knowing Bethberry's fondness for the lively arts of merriment given her background as a Bombadil, he had made doubly sure to invite her. *

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Adanedhel made his way to the sitting room, wanting to hear the ledgendary singing of the Rivendell Elves.
When he got there having changed into a azure blue robe and a dagger on his belt (out of habit) he found Gandalf already there, sitting quietly listening to the enchanting music.

'How are you gandalf now that we rest within these fair walls?' Adanedhel cheerfully asked, happy for a rest and the excitment of being in Rivendell. Rivendell was a magical place he had only heard of in stories of other travellers. He sat down and closed his eyes listening to the music.

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aglod decided to join Gandalf and Adanedhel in the sitting room. He was still in his traveling clothes. He never took off his chain mail, even in the house of Elrond. As he set down in a red chair, he took out his pipe and started smoking, listening to the music of the elves. He offered some to Gandalf and Adanedhel. As Gandalf looked, at Aglod he saw that as Aglod was listening to the music he had a sad look on his face, as if he was remembering something that was long ago when the world was yet young and the moon and sun were but stars in the heavens.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Adanedhel cheerfully declined some pipe weed and watched as a sad look came over Aglod's face. His eyes grew distant as if he was rememebering something and an anguished look came over his face, Adanedhel wondered at what could be troubling his friend but something kept him from asking. Instead he just sat and listened to the beautifully enchanting music of the elves
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

* And here is the song the Elves were singing while playing their harps:

O Imladris with arch and dome
Trees, river, waterfall and sky
Magnificent is Elrond's home
A haven of serenity
From which to undertake a quest
Recover strength, discover aim
Store up from life all that is best
From hearth to heart will leap a flame
Of hope to see you on your way
Whatever future darkness come
Meet true to self and company. *

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

It's always a joy for me to visit Rivendell, Adanedhel, to see old friends and to make new ones. I trust you are enjoying your stay as well. What is it about this place that you like best?

* Gandalf the Grey somehow managed to both smile cheerfully at Adanedhel while at the same time wear a thoughtful expression in recognition of and compassion with Aglod's unspoken musings, bowing gratefully in acceptance of Aglod's offered pipeweed. *

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

The sun was setting over the hills in the west, night was coming over Rivendell. Haidan was aroused from his daze by elven servants lighting lamps around the patio. A heavy wooden table with 6 chairs was set beside the fountain and food was progressively collecting on top. There was cheese and bread, colorful fruits and vegetables and two large plates of meat. Silver goblets and dinerware glimmered whenever a flicker from the lamps hit them just right. Haidan walked over and entered the sitting room.

He looked around at everyone, who all seemed to be deeply inthralled in the music, and spoke up, stopping the elven symphony. "Diner is almost ready. I'll await your company on the patio." Haidan retreated to his room to clean up. A few minutes later he emerged wearing a simple silver tunic and pants with a green robe, a gold belt rapped around his waist. His long silver hair now shown bright and smooth. Haidan was a modest elf and did not like the elaborate adornments that accompanied the garb of many.

Haidan walked outside again but returned quickly, "Is everyone accounted for? Our meal is ready."

Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan had enjoyed the beautiful singing, and found that it had somehow refreshed him, and he made his way to the patio for dinner. He spoke to Aglod as he made his entrance onto the patio. *

I have never before had the pleasure of being in Rivendell, Aglod. I must say, it is far more enchanting and peaceful than the locales I usually frequent. It is a for more beautiful sight than the Prancing Pony, to be sure.

So, my friend, what is your part in this quest, whatever it may be?

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*After nodding thanks to Haiden for the offer of rest and hospitality, Bethberry followed the elf to watch Riverdance being stabled and to ensure that her mare was calmly settled. She noticed that the elf who cared for Riverdance, Eorndwyn, had a gentle caress for the horse and a soothing voice. Satisfied, Bethberry offered the mare some carrots and apple from her hand, her fingers held flat open, and then turned to take her room, where she found Wyrd already asleep on his perch. She was thankful that the elven servants would clean her clothes. She unplaited her hair and bathed, enjoying the refreshing water and calm aroma of the soft soap, and then put on a simple dress of emerald green, embroidered with violet and brown thread, leaving her hair loose to trail to her waist. She then sank wearily into the quilted bed and quickly was asleep.*

*She awoke at the sound of pleasant music, feeling that here was a place which understood contentment, and was drawn to the hall by the voice of Gandalf reciting the elves' lyric of both serenity and melancoly. The song spoke clearly of Rivendell as a liminal place, girding travellers for what awaited them. Skipping lightly in time to the music, she brought with her candles of white and yellow, to light the way in the early evening dusk.*

I have overslept and perhaps sadly missed the merriment which Gandalf promised. But let me join you now and see what respite we can find in this hospitable site. Haidan, after days in the road, you have set us a sumptuous repast. You are as good a host as you are a warrior.

*Bethberry's voice seemed to ring with music as its lilt caught time with the music.*

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

* When Haidan reappeared on the patio, Gandalf turned to him and remarked: * What a pleasure it is to share a meal with you and your Household under the stars again.

* He then turned to Bethberry with these words: * I had so hoped to hear a song from you. Perhaps after we take council with Elrond you would do us the honor of gracing us with a melody.

* Gandalf was dressed in his traditional grey. However, clean clothes and a far tamer beard and tended-to flowing hair made quite a difference from the way he had looked on the road.

And now a feast awaited, of cheeses delicate and hearty, breads wholesome and light, grapes left to sweeten all autumn on the vine, crisp apples just tart enough, cabbage and turnips, chicken, venison, and rabbit, tea and honey mead. *

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

They all sat and enjoyed the hearty meal and the brisk valley air. There was plenty of food and the servants made sure that every goblet remained filled with either a dark, smooth mead, or a delightfully cool and refreshing draught. The company talked merely with each other, Haidan remained quiet through most of the diner as he usually did, but from time to time responded to questions and comments here and there.

When all had finished and the food had settle a bit, a servant elf came and whispered something low to Haidan. Rising to address the group he said, "I thank you again for your patience and your faith in me and my quest. Now, Elrond wishes our council. Follow me."

Haidan led the company down a path off the side of the patio to the last homely house of Elrond. The path was lit lowly with candles and lamps, light grey paving stones skirted the way. Branches and leaves from tall trees created a canopy over the walkway, a corridor of dark green and brown. Up ahead the lights from the windows of the last homely house could easily be seen.

Haidan led them up and into the halls of Elrond, walking past room after room. Music was lofting out of the door of one room and a warm fire was blazing in a large hearth, many elves and even men were conversing and some singing inside. As they moved on, the party passed walls of more murals that told of battles and the events of ages past, including one that Haidan had always loved. It was a battle between an elven lord with a white helm and a blue shield battling with a terrible, dark enemy, the outcome of which is known and mourned by all of the elves.

Eventually they came out to another patio but larger then the one they had dined on. The Bruinen could be heard rushing off in the distance and before them on the opposite side of the patio was an intricatly carved stone seat. There Elrond sat. Noticing the visitors, he stood...

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Adanedhel was blown away, he had never seen elrond before and all the stories could never live up to what he saw now. He was awed, he couldn't move and he saw a small smile creep up on Haidan's face at his companions obvious shock. Adanedhel faltered as they walked onto the pation and Haidan's smile broke into a huge grin......
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*Ever unassuming, Bethberry stood to one side of the company and watched the famous leader of the elves and the reactions of her companions. All save Haidan and Gandalf appeared to be greatly awed, yet even these two showed respect, even as the wizard himself was revealed in his full dignity. *

*Although he eschewed pomp, Elrond was surrounded by an aura of both might and authority as well as serenity. His strong face was etched with firmness and perhaps even anger yet he did not appear to be cruel--more likely weary with neverending battles and strategy and the disappointment of betrayals. She understood now, seeing Elrond, the devotion of Haidan.*

*Bethberry gave Elrond a slow, short curtsy with a solemn nod as he rose to speak to the company which Haidan had assembled for him. As she offered her respect, a slight turbulence in the air signified that Wyrd had followed her in. Bethberry waited for Elrond to speak first.*

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

* Gandalf stood and waited with the others, for Elrond to speak, and to speak to Elrond. He was glad of the opportunity to see the Half-Elven again, and hoped he could be of service so that visiting the Lord of Rivendell under better circumstances would soon become a reality. *
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
*Madmartigan waited to one side, wondering how this council would begin. Figuring that Gandalf was the reason he was here, he placed himself next to Gandalf, deciding that he would not speak unless e was addressed specifically. Undoubtedly Elrond would have questions for him. *
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  45  46  47 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help