Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  45  46  47 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Theft of Umbar
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Neither darkness nor surprise attack deterred the company from rising quickly at the sound of Gandalf's fireworks, but, before the spears could reach their mark, a bitterly cold and pelting rain began to fall upon Weathertop, blown by a particularly harsh wind towards the wargs. The goblins, seeing their surprise attack thwarted, and being unable to regroup under such conditions, retreated, disappearing into the darkness from whence they came.*

*The company stood, wet and bedraggled but unharmed, and momentarily unsure what to expect. As they took stock of events and looked around at each other, suddenly Haidan cried out:*

The lady! The lady! She's missing. What has happened to her?

*Then the dark storm clouds began to disperse, being replaced by a golden light which warmed both sky and heart as the dawn rose. Seemingly out of nowhere, Bethberry appeared, leading the horses by their halters.*

The attack nearly scared them off, but I have calmed them and they are now ready to ride. Thank you, Haidan, for your concern. *Bethberry smiled to herself, recalling her mother's washing days.*

Why expend heart, effort, and courage on minor distractions? Let us keep our focus on reaching Rivendell quickly. And perhaps it would be wise to remember that smoke can signal by scent as much as by sight. *An imperceptible smile momentarily graced Bethberry's lips, but it was not unkindly meant.*

* As she spread her arms wide in handing each horse to its rider, each member of the company felt his heart move with a calmness which strengthened both determination and urgency to answer Elrond's call. Bethberry then offered honeycomb and fresh berries to each companion, but none could tell from where the refreshments came.*

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]


From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
After finishing the excellent meal that Bethberry provided, Aglod jumped onto his horse and said, "Well the sooner we get to Rivendell the better." "Even as I was riding to you from Imladris I met 4 wargs and goblins on the road." "I shot two with my bow and the others fled." "It seems that after a watchful peace, evill is begining to stir."
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan nodded to Aglod, and mounted Destrier. *

I must agree with Aglod. Goblins and wargs are vile enemies to fight. They travel in numbers you can never know. For every goblin you can see, there is at least another you cannot see. They are treachorous, and more clever than most people give them credit for.

With such a small company, it would be best to continue on our journey. If we move fast, they will be hard pressed to keep up.


From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Bethberry we are in your debt assuredly. But there is no time left. We must reach Imladris today. Gather your things we leave now!" They all mounted and were off.

The party raced full speed towards the haven of Elrond. No sign of the warg riders was seen as the company left. Haidan looked back briefly to see the last beaten stone of Amon Sul dissappear over the hills of the land. Trees rushed past as the party made its way east.

"Something is amiss, orcs are not so easily discouraged." Haidan said to himself. Just as the words muttered from his lips, 6 warg riders crashed through the trees, 3 on either side, a few fathoms ahead of the company, one was singed. Behind the group, 4 more approached apparently from the leading north eastern edge of the South Downs.

"Gandalf your display not only scattered their attack, it signaled our location to the rest!" yelled Haidan. "Blades and bows ready! We stop for no orc or warg!" With that Haidan drew his sword and it gleamed bright with a pale blue. "Imladris!" cried Haidan as he spurred Gatathane onward with greater speed. The morning sun was shinning over the Misty Mountains, the orcs were almost on top of them...

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]


From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan drew Fireblade from it's sheath, the deep blue steel glinting in the moonlight as he held it high above his head. Destrier reared as Madmartigan gave a yell. *

For the blood! For the fire!

* With the family war cry having been given, he spurred Destrier forth and readied himself to cut a path through his enemies, being careful to keep an eye on Gandalf. *


From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Gandalf rode onwards with the others, Shadowfax cutting through the trees with the agility of lightning determined to find its mark. Haidan and Bethberry had been right of course, about the fireworks having been a most conspicuous indication of the company's presence. Gandalf had regretted making everyone so visible, but made his decision based on what he had judged the most effective way to awaken the entire company at once while simultaneously holding off the encroaching attackers, in the shortest amount of time. But there was no time to think of this now.

Gandalf drew his sword Täsmällinen and brought it up at a 45-degree angle to deflect a spear thrust from a goblin rider with whom he was drawing parallel. A split-second later, Gandalf brought the sword forward and down in a backhand motion, then made a thrust of his own into the hide of his foe's warg. The warg stumbled, its rider thrown.

And Shadowfax continued forward. *

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]


Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Adanedhel was awoken by a bright flas of light and yelps of pain from the darkness. He awoke, quick as lighting jumping up and grabbing his sword in the same instance. He already had his armour on because due to some bad experiences in Moria he sleeps with his armour on all the time. He ran forward to meet the oncoming attackers, a bunch of warg riders. Adanedhel's blade instantly erupted into magnificent blue flames each dancing at the delight of a fight. He ran forward with dangerously low stroke slicing through warg legs like butter, then when the wargs hit the ground a quick over hand stroke with his giant sword finished off the orc rider, he kicked the front legless warg in the head then slide the sword through it's chin, killing it instantly.
Another warg rider leveled a spear at him, snarling and drooling with rage, as he came closer Adanedhel spun then deftly sliced off the orcs head then brining the sword down to go through the wargs head, all this in one fluid motion.
Soon the fight was over and Adanedhel had noticed the madmartigan was an awesome fighter with his dreaded fire blade. As the last kill was made the joyous flames on Adanedhel's sword faded as the fight ended. He looked around and noticed Gandalf on horse back watching for more warg riders, Adanedhel thought it may be time to leave so he grabbed his pack and his saddle. He quickly saddled up nienor ad mounted her ready to leave for Rivendell......

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan absentmindedly checked each member of the company as he wiped the goblin blood off of Fireblade onto his cloak. 'Never fail to clean you sword after a fight,' his father had told him, and his grandfather also. He reined Destrier up beside Gandalf, silently waiting for words from the company. *
From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"If it is like this here, I would hate to see it in the Trollshaws!" said Aglod as he plucked out his arrows from the goblins he killed.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Bethberry leaned low over Riverdance's neck until she was almost hidden in the chestnut mane and whispered into her horse's ear.*

C'mon, girl. This will be like our wild rides in the Old Forest.

*She then rode straight towards two goblin riders until within twenty paces of them, veering off suddenly and drawing them deeper into the dense thicket of oak, willow, and yew and guiding Riverdance around the mighty trunks, over gnarled roots and under dangling branches. The closest warg, emboldened by the pursuit and enraged with blood lust, was less sure-footed than the Breton mare. Tripping over a willow root, it threw its rider ahead and then rolled heavily atop him, both stunned and unmoving in a mass of twisted flesh and agony.*

One down, girl. The rest is easy.

*The other goblin rider was, however, calmer in his battle frenzy and not so easily duped. He gained on Bethberry and Riverdance, drawing close enough to raise his sword. Just as he was about to slash Riverdance's left haunch, a screech distracted him as Wyrd flew over his head, claws raking scalp and face. The goblin screamed in surprised agony and, turning skyward towards the attack, drove his warg straight into a low oak branch. A sonorous crack suggested that many a bone was split as rider and mount were severed.*


Hah! *breathed Bethberry heavily with a hearty chuckle, as she patted her mare's neck and slowly walked her down to a trot*

What took you so long, Wyrd? *The falcon wheeled in the sky and flew low, coming down beside Riverdance's head and landing on a thick leather perch built into the halter.*

And while you are here, do you think you could guide us back to the others? *Bethberry smiled at the falcon and stroked its head.*

I think we might be lost in here; we rode so fast and twistingly that I could not track the way and I can no longer hear the sounds of the encounter.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]


From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Haidan charged Gatathane right between two warg riders deflected both attacks with his sword and sheild. Turning quickly he threw a quick swipe of his sword and the orcs heads rolled over and off the road, the wargs bounded off through the forest with no rider to halter them. Haidan noticed Bethberry dart off with 3 riders following her but feared not, as she had proven strong of mind and body before. The remaining rider had turned to face Haidan with bow bent and arrow ready, but the fowl creature stopped and slumped forward, Aglod's sword in his back. The orc's arrow went flying off wildly into the woods. "Thank you Aglod, that saved me from whipping more blood off my sword." The rest of the party was lagging behind with the other riders, but all quickly overcame their opponents. Haidan spurred Gatathane back to the company.

"Aglod is right, the Trollshaws will be patrolled with greater watch. We stick together from here on to Rivendell, no stopping to fight by yourself," a hawk soared up ahead and gave a cry, Bethberry sooned followed out of the trees. "And no darting off through the woods my lady. I'm sorry I must be so stern about this but if we are to succeed in this quest we need to learn at once how to fight and work together. Now," Haidan sheathed his sword and turned Gatathane,"straight to Rivendell."


From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We fight, each of us, in our own way, estimable Haidan, but all share your urgency and serve your Lord. *nods graciously from her saddle on Riverdance.*

Are we all unhurt? *Bethberry strains around in her saddle to check for each member of the company. Seeing Shadowfax unmounted she looks with concern for Gandalf, but quickly sees that he has dismounted in order to clean his sword.*

Adanedhel? madmartigan? *looking for them and then spying them* You both are so splattered with blood that you could well be injured yourselves .... Aglod, your eye is sharp and true and your bow sings. *nods thanks*

Lead on, Haidan, and we shall quickly follow. There is, as always, strength in numbers, but let us make strategy with calm deliberation rather than frantic haste.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]


From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* The encounter with the goblins and their wargs now over, Gandalf dismounted for a moment. Seeing that his grey cloak had gotten discolored enough from the elements, he wiped his sword Täsmällinen clean in a bunch of long grass and wet leaves, still dripping wet from the recent whirlwind rainstorm. He couldn't help casting a merry look in Madmartigan's direction as he did so. The wizard then jumped lightly back on Shadowfax as the company began to move again, set on their purpose. *
Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan followed the company at the rear, turning around to check the road behind them from time to time. So far he had seen nothing. He glanced up at the night sky to see a large, dark shape momentarily blocking out the stars. He watched as the creature soared off past the horizon. He spurre Destrier up beside Gandalf. *

It might be in our best interests to travel with a bit more speed, sir. I have a distinct feeling that something other than goblin eyes have spied us.


From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Overhearing Madmartigan Haidan replied, "Indeed it would brave warrior. We enter the Trollshaws ahead. We must go with all speed and swiftness straight on."

Gatathane reared and the company sped onward as fast as their steads could carry them. Haidan had noticed the dark shape too, the spies of evil were out.


From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We're already going as fast as our steeds can stand. Even the finest horse can't hold out forever. We need to consider alternatives, such as taking a less-travelled path.

* Gandalf looked to Haidan to provide leadership on this issue. He himself hadn't seen what the others had, however, he noticed that Madmartigan and Haidan seemed just a bit more tense and on guard than the others. *

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]


Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"A wise precaution Mithrandir, but there are few paths to take from here to Rivendell that will get us there in good time as well as keep us safe. But I share your concern." He paused for a moment in thought, growing up in Rivendell he knew the surrounding lands well.

Looking southward Haidan spoke up once more, "There is adequet cover if we approach from the south. The trees are denser then they are to the north past the Trollshaws and the shrubs and small trees make difficult terrain for wargs. It will take slightly longer on horse back but we shall be harder to spot by watchful eyes." He looked up again to try to spy some aerial menace. "What say the rest of the company, what be your suggestions?"


From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
'Good idea, i hate those oversized, stinking bats, especially if i can't get them with that oversized knife on my back' Adanedhel said patting the pommel of his sword from behind his head.
He unsheathed it and told Nienor to just follow the horse in front.
And so he began to clean the blade of marks and using a sharpening stone get out a notch from that iron collar, content with his job Adanedhel sat in silence always keeping an ear out for the others opinions....

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Gandalf nodded agreement with Adanedhel at Haidan's suggestion of approaching from the South. *
Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan nodded his consent with the others, and waited for them to pass, to take his position at the rear again. He kept his rear guard, and still kept his watch of Gandalf. He turned in his saddle and saw shapes moving in the far distance. *

Whatever you do, my good fellows, don't stop moving!

Haidan! How far to Rivendell?


From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rely upon Wyrd to notify us of any aerial menace, Haidan. We should all hear his cry if he spies anything untoward, not just myself alone.
From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"You're right Bethberry, I merely watch the skies as force of habit, for I am not usually in the company of a falconer or her raptor. Indeed Wyrg shall watch the sky over our head." Haidan nodded to her.

Turning to respond to Madmartigan, "Still a day's ride or more away Madmartigan, maybe farther with our detour." Haidan looked away to the south and pointed, "We must cross the River Bruinen at a certain shallow spot I know of, off further south than here. Once we cross we shall have to be careful as we are pinned between river and mountain. But the orcs do not like water and the only way into that area north of Hollin is to cross either the Greyflood or the Gladuin. We shall be relatively safe. But we have tarried long enough, I am hoping to get to the Bruinen by late afternoon."


From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
'Hmmmmmmm, good idea' Adanedhel said to Haidan's suggestion
'As long as we don't ford it at night we are safe. Fording a river, no matter how small, at night is not one of my favourite pastimes' Adanedhel said with a small grin, he looke around at the rest of the company. All seemed in good shape each havening contributed to the fight with the pack of warg riders. Madmartigan looked and fought like a seasoned veteren, he wondered how many battles and skirmishes that man had gone through.
He rode on thinking of all the things that had happened before joining this wonderfull group on a journey he yet didn't fully understand..........

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan nodded at Haidan. *

Good, we must make Rivendell as soon as possible. The threat has not passed from us as of yet.

* Madmartigan spurred Destrier to follow the others as they rode toward the river crossing and Rivendell. *


From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"We also have to worry of more dangerous things than wargs and goblins." "There are things in the Trollshaws that have blacker hearts than orcs." said Aglod with his bow and sword close at hand.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  45  46  47 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.6.1