Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  45  46  47 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Theft of Umbar
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was night and the wind was sharp against Haidan's face. Gatathane was steadily racing eastward towards Rivendell, spurred ever so often to keep pace. He looked back to check on how the company faired. Gandalf was of no worry to Haidan as Shadowfax could traverse the leagues easily, but the others' horses were not as purely breed. Despite this all the steads remained lively, probably due to the companionship of Shadowfax. Haidan looked back towards the road and shifted his eyes towards the large flat hill ahead.

Pulling back to Gandalf and the rest of the group he said, "We shall rest at Weathertop. There we shall converse about the journey ahead. I apologize for the secrecy but Snowdog's Inn, though relaxing as it is, is no such place to discuss our business. Come, the hill is not much farther."

[ 01-08-2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Adanedhel was sitting in his saddle content in the knowledge that they were on their way. He had always loved the mercanary life and always lent his sword to a worthy cause. In front of him Gandalf was riding with his once grey cloak now a a dullish sort of colour with lots of stain and dirt, it was billowing behind him whiping this way and that. Next to him rode Bethberry, a beautifully lady of which he new nearly naught about.
Next to Adanedhel rode Madmartigan, a strange name he surely had but a strangeman he was. He had a breastplate that had many cuts and slashes on it obivous proof of his prowess in the battle field as he was still alive.

Adanedhel was brought out of his musing by Haidan telling them they would be stopping at wheather top. Adanedhel was glad, as wheather top was an easy place to defend and a safe place to talk without un-wanted ears litening to the words spoken.
He glanced over to Haidan, the strange elf he had come across in Snowdog's Inn (a favourite watering hole) was a strange one that didn't speak much and when he did he was very short and to the point. Adanedhel like that in a leader.
Adanedhel hoped his mount Nienor would hold up for the journey, he was fairly sure she would. Nienor was a horse of the Rohirrm and was a very quick and full of stamina. Adanedhel had acquired if that be the right word, from a field near Edoras.
Adanedhel spurred Nienor on hoping to reach wheather top before dawn.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bethberry's Bretton mare, Riverdance, held a comfortable gait in keeping pace with Shadowfax, Gandalf's steed, while her rider reflected on the coincidence that Riverdance came from a long line of horses bred by the ancient warriors, although never yet had the mare needed to prove herself in battle or tournament.

Bethberry wondered at this unlikely adventure and wryly thought about the men who had joined the anxious, hurried elf without much explanation. "Males have a keen thrill for adventure,' she thought, "without much heeding the need or reason for it." She looked ahead at Haidan and wondered what motivated his loyalty to Elrond, for loyal he clearly seemed to be. As for the others, Adanedhel and the young Madmartigan, they seemed to be mercenaries poised, even eager, for battle. She knew Gandalf to be an astute reader of hearts and minds, but she also knew that he was as likely to accept one whose purpose was clouded as one whose motives were pure, for who more than Gandalf knew how to turn wrong-doing to good use?

She was now grateful for having taken the time, two days prior, to restock her small herbarium. In her leather satchel she carried feverfew and comfrey, St. John's wort, horehound, bethroot and beardtongue, bilberry, horsetail, yarrow and aster angelia, the smudging herb for restoring consciousness. She had a goodly supply of agrimony for washing wounds, arnica for bruises, and celandine for warts, maralroot for boosting endurance and roseroot for combating stress. Truth be told she even carried the poisonous monkshood and belladonna and, although Gandalf would tease her about it if he had known, a substantial pouch of pipeweed.

Bethberry readjusted her canteen of river water and became aware of the rhythmic way her falconer's glove beat against her thigh. She looked west to the setting sun to see Wyrd the Falcon circling high, diligent as ever in watch over her. She knew he would alert her should he catch sight of the giant Orc-speaking bats which had interrupted their stay at Snowdog's Inn.

She alone of all the company carried no obvious weapon, yet it could not be said that she was without defenses. She looked ahead in the far distance to see Weathertop and urged Riverdance on in that unspoken communication she shared with many animals. Would that she shared it with people as well! "Why was Haidan so anxious and secretive?" she mumbled, almost aloud.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On to Weathertop, then.

* Shadowfax barely broke his stride, the momentary change of pace being only to accomodate Gandalf's conversation with Haidan. Then all rode smoothly onwards. Besides his ever-present staff and pipe, as well as food and water rations, Gandalf carried a longsword recently bought from an Elven swordsmith. The name of the blade was "Täsmällinen."

Being that Haidan had been sent on a mission on behalf of Elrond, on a matter which would affect all of Rivendell, Gandalf claimed Haidan's urgency for his own. For this reason, Gandalf pledged his assistance to the undertaking, without knowing any further details of what was involved.

As for Bethberry, where the daughter of the River Daughter went, she brought with her the wholesome lightness of her homeland. Gandalf hated the thought of exposing Tom Bombadil's kin to the slightest danger. Yet he felt confident that Bethberry's presence would be a unique strength towards the company's success, and that she was competent to meet even the greatest danger.

Adanedhel's brand of eagerness would be good for morale and stand the company in good stead. Somehow Gandalf sensed a deep current of heroism in Adanedhel that would show itself worthy of respect when the situation called for it. What might be hidden from others concerning this, Gandalf knew for certain.

Madmartigan remained a mystery. *

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Adanedhel notcied everyone was studying each other, as they were mostly new to each other as far as he new, Bethberry had a falconers glove and he searched the sky for the falcon, he could not see it but he was sure it was there somewhere.

They soon reached the bottom of wheather top near the break of dawn, Adanedhel had heard strange stories about the surrounding lands of wheather top but had allways felt comfortable with his sword in hand.
They slowly rode up the small path up wheather top, stones tumbling down the hill side from the disturbance from the horse's hooves. The continued their climb and reached the small enclave in good time. They tethered the horses and looked out from the broken ring of stone surrounding the edge of wheather top like a crown. Adanedhel looked out and in the distance from the direction of Rivendell came a lone horseman............

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Haidan stood motionless on the edge of Weathertop spying the horseman with his keen elf eyes. He stood there for a long time watching the rider come closer and closer. Haidan did not worry about concealment due the fact it was only one rider and no great evil travelled the road alone this close to Rivendell. Greenwood was where the most of the evil was brewing, but that is a story of another kind. Also he had noticed Bethberry's hawk, surveying the surrounding land, and would sound a cry to his master if trouble was ahead of her.
"He is of no concern to us," Haidan said as he turned back towards the company who were all watching the rider. "I will start a fire and once we eat and rest then we shall converse, briefly, about our journey ahead." With that Haidan went off over the northern lip of Weathertop to gather wood. He took one last look at the approaching rider. He was going quickly down the road towards the hill. "Hmmmm, moving pretty fast." Haidan said to himself as he made his way down the slope.

[ 12-23-2002, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* When Haidan returned with the firewood, Gandalf thought to make a simple suggestion to the group. *

Although this road has not had reports of trouble, yet, from any such as the rider who just now passed, we do not know whether the Orc-speaking bats have alerted anyone to our presence. It's possible they heard Rivendell mentioned. If we are to remain here at Weathertop for the night, we ought to decide who will take which shift for the night watch. Unless we plan to travel swiftly, and our rest here to be a short one.

Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan had followed behind the others on his large, black warhorse, simply known as Destrier. He rode in silence, pondering each of those he was traveling with a good bit. *

* When they had reached Weathertop, he dismounted Destrier, and threw his cloak back off his shoulders. His hand rested on the hilt of his sword. The sword had been handed down through his family for ages, and had been called Fireblade since the time it had been first forged. *

* Madmartigan stepped towards the group when Gandalf suggested night watches.*

I could take most of the shifts, if you like. I need very little sleep. Two hours, at the most, will suffice for me, and no more will be needed for a while. Also, I have good night vision; it will be hard for someone to slink up on me.

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

"You're offer is appreciated but will not be necessary. Each of us will take a respected watch, though the lady should not worry about such a thing and should rest well. But if you wish you shall take the first watch."

*Haidan quickly started a fire with some kindling he had in his pack. He removed some lembas from a leaf packet.*

"Here, elves do not usually share such a food with strangers but if we are to journey together we are all equal, at least in my eyes." He passed out a good amount of lembas to each traveller.

"While we eat, I shall tell you what I can about where we are going and why. I do not know if any of you are learned in the lore of old, but where we rest there once stood a mighty tower in a kingdom of old. In this tower were many presious things of great value. Among these were three orbs of, what appears, clear glass. In all there exists seven of these orbs.
One was lost in Osgiliath in the east of Gondor during the foolishness and gread of those people," Haidan's voice got lower and he looked around at the companions, "but now it is found. The Haradrim of Umbar in the City of the Corsairs have it in their possession, we are going to take it back.
That is all I am permitted by Elrond, and the threat of evil ears, to speak of now. Once we are in Imladris we shall hold council on this matter. We shall then decide our next move." Haidan leaned back on a section of the ring of rubble and bit off a peice of lembas. He lifted his head over the rubble to check on the horseman coming their way.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aglod on his horse Barond, made his way down the road to Weathertop. Already with his excellent vision he saw 4 men and a woman make there way up the hill some time ago. "These must be the 5 companions I am supposed to meet." thought Aglod. Already he knew of their deed and was sent by Elrond himself to accompany them. Finally he made it to the base of Weathertop. "Hello?" "May I come up with your leave?" asked he in a kind tone.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*Returning from feeding and grooming Riverdance and, indeed, a quick check of all the horses' hooves, Bethberry caught Haidan's remark that she be spared night watch. *

This will not do, *she said aloud, as she skipped lightly forward to face Haidan.*

Your offer is generous and courtly and kindly meant, Haidan, but I am here as a full partner, pledged solemnly to Gandalf and now here to you as if to Elrond himself. My strength is no less infirm nor able than yours, although different in kind. There will indeed be times that our obligations will differ, but this is not one of them. I ask only that I be allowed the watch that ends the night, for the dawning sun is my time.

*Bethberry caught her breathe and then held a steady but unthreatening gaze as she met Haidan's eyes and then those of the other companions. She could see that Madmartigan and Adanedhel were taken by surprise with her request, but her poise and honest declaration inspired confidence and they quickly felt themselves agreeing to the just nature of her petition. With a step back, Gandalf quietly acknowledged her with, "As you wish" while with a slight shrug, Haidan also accepted her claim.*

"Very well, then, you take the last watch" was all Haidan said.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

* smiling, Gandalf addressed these words to the company * After all, think about it. Who better than a Bombadil to guard against nightly noises?
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Haidan met Bethberry's glare and a soft smile appeared on his face.

"Well met Bethberry I should have been more reasonable. Forgive my ignorance."

Haidan bowed in apology. As he rose, he heard the call of someone at the bottom of Weathertop. Walking over to the edge he noticed a familiar face. It was one of the elves Elrond had summoned a few days before Haidan left Rivendell for Bree.

"Hail Aglod! By all means come, join us!" Haidan called down to the rider. As Aglod came up the slope to meet the companions, Haidan bowed in greating, "This is Aglod the Mariner," he said to the group, "He is from the Grey Havens in the west." Haidan introduced his companions to the grim elf. "What brings you out of Imladris? Headed to your ship?" Haidan seemed more relaxed with the new stranger, as he knew him far better then he knew his present company, save Gandalf.

[ 04-16-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*Laughing merrily, Bethberry turned with almost a dancing skip towards Gandalf.*

Good friend, I knew I could count on you to see the merit of my petition, and to find its best expression. *breaking out into a smile as well, before turning more seriously towards the new rider*

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Madmartigan watched as the others greeted Aglod. As Aglod turned his eyes towards him, Madmartigan gave a short bow and introduced himself *

Greetings, my name is Madmartigan. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

* With that, Madmartigan turned towards Gandalf. *

If there is anything I may do to be of assistance, Gandalf, please bring it to my attention. I will be under the tree, keeping watch. Who shall I wake for the second watch?

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Indeed Madmartigan, I should like to keep you company for a short while on the first watch. Now that Haidan has informed us regarding the object of our quest, I would also like to know why you feel you must follow me.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Adanedhel greeted the new comer Aglod with a curt bow and a small nod.
Soon there was talk of watches, Mad Martigan put his hand up straight away and Adanedhel was happy that he didn't have to do first watch he was very tired. Adanedhel was happy for a rest, riding at night is a very tiring thing. He bunkered down in his blankets using his saddle, no matter how uncomfortable, as a pillow. Just before sleep took him he saw Mad Martigan and Gandalf deep in conversation taking the first watch.

Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
* Madmartigan (not Mad Martigan) followed Gandalf to a nearby tree, where they sat upon the cool grass. As the others drifted off to sleep, Gandalf asked of Madmartigan's purposes in following him. Madmartigan scratched at a patch of dirt with the toe of his boot and began his explanation. *

Well, Sir, I come from a long line of warriors, descendant of no royal blood. I make my living wherever I find people in need. I travel much, by myself usually.

Some little time ago, I found myself roaming about Near Harad, a few miles south of the river Harnen. You see, even in these days, there is little work for men of my occupation. Things are eerily quiet. Like the calm before a storm, if you would.

As I was saying, I was in the lands of Near Harad, south of the river Harnen, when I came upon a small village. It had no inn, no mayor, or anything of the sort. It was a mere smattering of small huts and homes, and a few pens for animals.

As I approached the center of the village, where the firepit was located, I came upon an old woman. She was grinding some herbs for some foul smelling concoction, whose purpose is unknown to me. She laid eyes upon me, as I led Destrier towards the firepit, and gave a yell.

I had thought I would be attacked, and driven from the village, but the other villagers paid her no mind. Raising an alarm was not her intention, however, because she ran fast up to me and, standing on the tips of her toes she grabbed me by my ear and pulled me down to her eye level.

She looked me square in the eye for several minutes, and since she showed no signs of harm, I let her. Finally she let loose of my ear, and said, "Sit down at the firepit, boy."

Having been taught to respect my elders, I did so. She began a pot of stew and asked me many questions. At times, she would shake her head and grumble disappointedly at my answers. But she would ask another question and smile and mumble merrily. I was receiving free stew, so I submitted to her interrogation.

Finally, she reclaimed my unfinished bowl and jumped up and declared me "Fit for the task! Chosen for the quest!"

I rebuked her for being a crazy old woman, but she grabbed me by the ears and stared me in the eyes. She told me to stop being insolent. She said I should find you, Gandalf the Grey, or Mithrandir. She said I should accompany you for as long as necessary, that I should defend you and your tasks with my life, and that if I valued my hide, I would not be as insolent with you as I was with her. And I am happy to say I have followed her instructions to the letter. The spirits know, I have nothing better to do anyway.

Although, with a company such as this, I don't see how even my Fireblade can be of any service to you.

* Madmartigan arched an eyebrow and looked at Gandalf, wondering what the wise Wizard would make of his encounter with the old woman. *

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

*Aglod bowed to all of the company* "I came out of Imladris because I was ordered by Elrond to assist you on this most excellent quest." "And since you are going to Umbar, a mariner might be of some help."
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Haidan nodded his head. "Indeed he may. The City of the Corsairs rest upon the Bay of Belfalas. Seeing as how we will most likely be cut off from escape by land once we enter and succeed in our task, and escape by sea will be the logical choice. I am not sure if the Haradrim are capable mariners so the threat upon the waters would be unknown to me. But we talk too much, let us rest for our ride tomorrow."

Haidan walked over to Bethberry and sat down beside her. "I must again apologize my lady, I meant no insult to you, merely a gentlemenly offer. I should have known, you being a friend of wise old Mithrandir, that you are strong of mind and will. You bless the party with such spirit and I would leap into battle high in heart at your side." Haidan gave Bethberry a keen look and brief smile.

He acknowledged the other's conversation and agreed to take the next to last watch, the twilight hour which Haidan loved most. He layed down and slept came upon him quickly for he had not rested for a very long time, but stayed on the brink of deep sleep. Amon Sul may be easily watched and guarded but was still not the safety of the house of Elrond.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

Seeing Haidan was asleep, Aglod decided to rest for awhile himself.
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Adanedhel was awoken by Haidan and Aglod settling down to rest, both making alot of noise in the process.

'You two make as much noise as two pregnant cows' Adanedhel said irritably to the two
they both looked over startled at the sudden noise then, in the dark Adanedhel could see a broad grin forming on the faces of the two men

'don't think i can't see you smiling, i am half elven, i lived in mirkwood as an orphan' Adanedhel said and then he laughed as the grins vanished as soon as they were formed

Adanedhel chuckled to himself and fell back to sleep as the small noises of the night entered his dreams.......

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

Aglod woke in the middle of the night. He wasn't tired so he decided to light his pipe. He wasn't worried about anything or anyone seeing it since there was no light coming from it.
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

* Earlier, Gandalf had listened with full attention to Haidan describe the quest south to Umbar to retrieve Anarion's Palantir, the one lost from Osgiliath during the Kinstrife. He had made no comment then, but merely smoked observantly. In a similar manner, he had taken in Haidan's words to the mariner Aglod. These were matters best discussed in the presence of Elrond, and the sooner the company arrived in Rivendell, the better Gandalf would like it.

As for Madmartigan, Gandalf knew not what to make of the mercenary. But as they kept the first watch, Gandalf spoke to Madmartigan in turn, with a combination of good-natured teasing and utter seriousness to Madmartigan's final remark: "Although, with a company such as this, I don't see how even my Fireblade can be of any service to you." *

Neither do I, Madmartigan, ... yet.

* Gandalf grinned, then continued speaking by asking a question. *

I thought I noticed a ring attached to the hilt of Fireblade. Is the ring a family heirloom? Does it have a history?

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

* But the answer Gandalf was looking for would have to wait. Loping towards them came a pack of eight wargs, each one bearing a goblin rider. The wargs slavered and snarled. Pulling a Dwarven Candles firework from his sack, Gandalf lit it and launched it into the middle of the oncoming enemy pack.

The resulting surprised yelps from three wargs with singed fur, the cries of the burnt goblins thrown from two of these wargs, the sound of explosion, and Madmartigan's battle cry as he held Fireblade aloft was enough to wake up the rest of the company and alert them to self defense.

And not a moment too soon. Two spears came flying into camp ... *

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  45  46  47 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help