Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside (Page 65)
Author Topic: The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's great! Could you possibly draw a map of it? I don't have the layout of Umbar in my head at all, so I avoid giving any geographical descriptions of anyone going anywhere. []

Btw, about Edeb-Nargûl and his evil schemes - he's absolutely right, of course, about it being the greatest culmination. Sauron would be delighted if he knew about it - he hated the Eldar even more than Men ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been putting some ideas on paper, but I don't have a scanner. Perhaps, if you have one, I cd send you a copy and you cd 'publish' it here?

[ 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Cernunnos ]

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have a scanner at work - I'll send you a PM about it []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Still working on the map (it's quite detailed!).

Alas, there's a postal strike on the island of Britain at this time.

[]

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

-

These keys are similar to the key to the Locked Chamber.

A pretty pendant. []

Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

[]

Great touch!

Will finish map tomorrow and send Monday.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Tha map has arrived safely, Cernunnos [] - I have scanned it, but will need to reduce the size and such before posting it. Could you send me that text as text in a PM as well? Might work better than just as a picture, as I didn't have character recognition with the scanner.
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

Glad its arrived safely. Text supplied as requested - but I notice a spelling mistake in the last paragraph - cd you correct to 'ancient'.

[]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Thanks a lot [] - I've also posted it here.

Key to the Plan of Umbar (minor streets and courtyards omitted)

Umbar was surrounded by an ancient and immensely strong wall, with towers and gates, first built by the Númenoreans in the Second Age and repaired many times since. It was further protected by a wide ditch, filled with water from diverted streams, and the Citadel, set on a rocky hill above the Bahar, and now taken up by the Great Temple. To complete the circle of defence, immense chains were stretched across the Barduin between the Guardian Towers where the river entered and exited The City, which could be raised to prevent ships from entering (it will be recalled that Pelargir was protected in the same way).

1. Temple of the Lord of the Dark, within the former Citadel.
2. Temple guesthouses.
3. Temple Square.
4. Great Harbour or Chief Haven, with numerous quays and warehouses.
5. Great Bazaar (guardhouse and auction hall in centre).
6. River Bahar or Barduin.
7. Grand Axis, broadest, straightest and most ancient street.
8. Former Royal Palace and Gardens (now headquarters of the First House).
Bridges:
9. King's Bridge (ruined).
10. Brothers' Bridge.
11. Old Bridge.
12. Seven Bowed Bridge.

-

The Ten Houses, their Chiefs and badges:
I - Zishâd 'Hard-Hand' (stylised face with curling moustaches).
II - Baron Melkomîr (red scorpion).
III - Kephâd 'the Wily' (crossed kesdars).
IV - 'Boss' Namâkh (horned skull impaled on a sword).
V - Lord Gimilbâr (the 'Brothers' Knot').
VI - Baron Khârion (entwined serpents).
VII - Adra 'the Ruthless' (fist holding a sheaf of arows).
VIII - Lord Kiblis (ship of war surmounted by a crown).
IX - 'Prince' Zâlkhis (golden trident).
X - Zaiblan 'the Black' (the 'Black hand').

The numbers assigned to the Houses do not imply their relative importance. They were merely the numbers of the Wards of The City they controlled, so labelled since ancient times. Thus the First House controlled the First Ward. This contained the ancient royal palace and the 'Double Throne' of Angamaitë and Sanghyando, but though the First used it as their headquarters, they did not claim descent from the former kings.

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Varnafindë and Cernunnos I know it's been almost a year since either of you last posted, but I've just been catching up on a lot of the story and would just like to let you know that you both have done an amazing job continuing this story. Your skill and dedication when everyone else had dropped off has been exemplary and impressive.

You are both exceptional writers!

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you around Adanedhel!
quote:
"Varnafindë and Cernunnos I know it's been almost a year since either of you last posted, but I've just been catching up on a lot of the story and would just like to let you know that you both have done an amazing job continuing this story. Your skill and dedication when everyone else had dropped off has been exemplary and impressive."
I have to agree totally! I have to say that the continuation of this RP since its inception in my Inn by such fine writers is truly amazing!

And Cernunnos, that is an excellent layout of Umbar! []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Thank you both!

It's been both a pleasure and an honor to have been part of this writing team.
I hope we can continue until the story is finished - we're so close now, and the way ahead is easier to see than it has been for a long time - and then I worry about what has happened to the rest of my team. I cannot finish the story on my own at an adequate level of writing, so I wait, ready to interact again when given the chance.

Meanwhile, I can study that absolutely amazing map! []

Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

Thank you for your kind comments. Your Friendly Neighbourhood Cernunnos is back, and hoping to move the story forward soon. If anyone has any ideas to further the tale suggested by catching up with the saga so far, I'd be very gratefuil to hear them.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

It's great to have you back, Cernunnos! []

I'll read through both the story, the WA thread, and any PMs where we have done a bit of discussion []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Partly inspired by Pilate's wife, who also sent a message to her husband, talking about her dreams and asking him to heed them.
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

A pleasing conceit - and, I think, entirely in character.

I'm sure JRRT - well acquainted with apocryphal Christian lore - would appreciate.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

It's not even apocryphal, it's right in the New Testament text itself.
quote:
When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.
Matthew 27:19

There is apocryphal lore that tells the contents of her dreams, though.
Swedish author Selma Lagerlöf has written one such story (as part VII and VIII of a longer story, Saint Veronica's Kerchief.

Yes, I thought it seemed to fit. []

And I love how you have the bird read and comment []

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see this moving, folks, and your comments here. I haven't yet gone to the game thread, but will soon. Fantastic work to keep this going. More later . . .
From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

And great to have you veterans of this story come back and read from time to time! []
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

I think young Kibilbâr may be a bit of a 'loose cannon'. We shall see. The sudden departure of two of the great Houses will be exceedingly difficult to conceal . . .
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I like your little scene with Lady Ildribeth. It's her version of a wise withdrawal - it's realistic, this isn't just a head-over-heels flight, she realizes that she is really parting with everything that has been her world until now, and that what she leaves behind, she will never see again.

So yes, in her new life she will also need a few dresses and some jewellery - and mirrors and other useful items - and hopefully even a tapestry? I like that she isn't being too silly about it, she attends to what has been her part in the Eighth House's household, and presumably assumes that others will attend to their parts.

So what might a 'loose cannon' imply in this connection? Is it something you can explain, or do we just have to wait until the story unfolds itself?

Oh my, such a departure would arouse the Temple's suspicions, if they find out. Is it possible to avoid them finding out?

And if not, would the High Priest see Nimlothel as the most accessible source of information - since she was in the Fifth House so close to the departure? She's no skilled liar - but she has some experience in telling half-truths. And she needs to protect herself in order to be the trusted scribe and not the suspect prisoner of the High Priest until the Theft has been successfully carried out ...

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 10 year Rpversary Theft of Umbar! I believe this got its start in Snowdog's Inn.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe this got its start in Snowdog's Inn.
I'm not surprised, #15.

I wonder what ever happened to citizens #3 through 14?

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Citizen # 3 still posts occasionally.

Snowdog's Inn was indeed where it all started - just over 9 years ago (a little early for the anniversary yet, perhaps?).

This was before I had even joined MT - and now I've been part of the writing team for nearly six years []

My first post was posted in April 2005, after several months of waiting for approval from the threadmaster, who hadn't posted for a while. Finally Cernunnos took it upon himself to allow me in, and the threadmaster has approved later. []
He's told me that he wasn't too sure at first about the idea of my character - an Elf in such a position - but that she had grown on him eventually (so I must have done something right in the way I've been playing her [] ).
Cern's additions to playing her have been fine as well []

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just over 9 years ago (a little early for the anniversary yet, perhaps?).
Yeah, a tad early. However, it is in its 10th year, and the Chinese count the age of 1 from birth, so if we were in China... [] []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside (Page 65)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help