Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  64  65  66 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I feel kinda bad, Bethberry being the only woman in this. Ladies of MT would be welcomed in this too.
From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!
Sorry i couldn't post my cable internet provider cut out so i couldn't get on
I have a bit of catching up to do so i'll read what you have posted and then maybe, i'll post something. I'll see who it goes.....

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
HI guys,

I hope it was okay that I jumped in last night to request my share of the night watch. (Wish I had thought of Gandalf's clever comment! I thought if I waited and posted here the opportunity would pass because of all the posting activity. I don't want Bethberry to be a dreamy lady. She is like Goldberry and will bring Goldberry's strengths and charms and healing to the story,(hint, she is going to be very helpful when the chips are down and things become discouraging) but she is also less passive. The herbs in her satchel are for healing wounds, pains, aches, breaks, illnesses. Just as Sam and Frodo discovered more stamina and heroism in their Hobbit selves, Bethberry is going to expand the possibilities of Goldberry's character; she will bring content to mortal heart, but in new and different ways, while remaining true to the vision of union with nature in the Bombadill household. (Note, I think it does a disservice to LOTR for the movie to exclude her and Tom.)

BTW, the name of my falcon, Wyrd, is the Old English word for Fate or Destiny.

And, as the holidays approach, I am going to have less and less access. Between Christmas and Jan 4, I will have only sporadic access. Do we need to make some kind of plans for absences?

Cheers,
Bethberry

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds really good
If you encorporate it into the story then it adds something extra and a little bit of, how would you put it, LOTR feel to it.
With people being away, i think maybe we should (if there is a lot of people not posting) post-pone all posts untill most people are back.

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Beth, it's okay! Makes this whoe thing kind of cool,not knowing exactly what the other people are gonna say. I can hold off on posts if y'all need me too. I'm not traveling anywhere, so I'll still be around.

Sorry for the length of my last post, it got carried away from me. :-)

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and uh, I guess y'all would like some info about Madmartigan, huh?

Well, really, there's not a whole lot to him. He's originally from a small town in east Gondor. His family is a long line of mercenaries and soldiers. He is the sole surviving member of his family, however, as they were all killed in orc raids over the years.

His sword, Fireblade has been handed down for several generations, and was forged by Dwarven weaponsmiths.

As said in the story, he's a sort of sword-for-hire for people in need. He keeps mostly to himself, never getting emotionally attached to anyone.

From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

The long reply was most interesting, Madmartigan, so don't apologize for it. You are adding more mystery. But are you getting emotionally attached to someone now, aren't you?--Gandalf.
From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

It was really good Madmartigan, long posts make for a better read and a more intriging story
(sorry i kept typing it as Mad Martigan!)

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All Around,

Wonderful posts from everyone today! Am inwardly mulling them over now, the better to achieve a worthy post of my own to add, when the time is right.

Which reminds me, (as does Bethberry's kind and intriguing definition of "Wyrd.") ---

The name of my sword, Täsmällinen, comes from the Finnish and means "on time."

My known travel dates as of this time are Friday, December 21st through Thursday, December 27th. Computer access will be sporadic and totally unpredictable. Some of the houses I'll be visiting have computers I can use, some don't. And after battling the nasty snowstorms that tend to hit the lands that I pass through right at Christmas, rivalling those of Caradhras, my real travel schedule is anyone's guess.

Am very much enjoying the detailed, insightful, and colorful character descriptions being posted in this thread by the likes of Bethberry and Madmartigan. Thank you as well for your character description, Gilgalad ... I must say I'm still curious and there's much to be learned about you.

Gandalf the Grey

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is still much to learn about me. But I will reveal that when my time has come, my good friend.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Ha snowstorms! You should try and get anywhere in the blistering heat of Australia during Christmas! You would roast like a turkey from the heat (in which just before hand you would have heat stroke)
Anyway, i definetly, won't be able to post christmas day and boxing day due to my families strictness on this, i have about as much chance of getting on a computer than a snowflake surviving in hell! So as you can see my chances are pretty much nil
i think we should just postpone it for christmas week then resume the week after, what do you guys think?
The site's going to practically be a ghost town during christmas, with many people going away and such.
ohhhh yeah, and like GTG, great posts all round!
*bows to everyone*

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I won't be here this Sat. since I am going to my Grandma's for christmas. And of course I won't be here on the 25 either.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Something just occured to me. Jan 6th I leave for winter quarter at college. I hardly ever get on the computer when I'm down there so I'm not sure if I can add to the story. Hmmm. Well like the songs says, "We'll burn that bridge when we get there."
From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Orofacion of the Vanyar: In that case, I strongly suggest the party head to Rivendell at all speed so that any vital communication that needs to be communicated to us be done before you head back to school.

Picnicking at Weathertop is using up valuable time we just don't have, and there's not even a Hobbit in the group!

Sincerely,

Gandalf the Grey

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Dear Gandalf,

Bethberry hadn't thought at all about the fireworks, which she had thought were a military form of cost effectiveness. She was trying to make a lame joke about the pipeweed that you gentlemen were sharing. 'Twas the pipeweed which drew the wargs, no? *hoping you appreciate the joke*

Bethberry

PS. Good posts, all.

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Dear Bethberry,

Interestingly enough, I had already assumed that you were referring to the smoking of pipeweed. However, in all fairness, the smoke, noise, fire and light caused by the fireworks was a VERY iffy tactical move to take, it was a move taken at risk. It had its advantages, it had its disadvantages. Thus I feel that any comment made about the slight smoke of pipeweed can equally or moreso apply to the quite conspicuous clouds of smoke caused by explosive devices.

Thank you so much for your noble graciousness on my behalf, my friend. * affable appreciative nod *

At your Service,

Gandalf

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

*** NEWS FLASH ***

Earlier tonight, I learned that the computer I'd hoped to use at my relative's house over the Christmas holiday is currently unavailable. The phone line went completely dead. Supposedly, the phone company is going to fix the line sometime tomorrow. If so, the good news is that I can be around Minas Tirith once in a while. (though not as often as I typically am)

If not, I may be totally without a computer for six entire days, starting tomorrow!

Oh, what I wouldn't give for a working palantir in my relative's House right now!

Gandalf the Grey

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Dear Gandalf,

I dream of my own laptop some day. (My access will be rare and limited.)

Bethberry

PS. Does this happen often in your country--the phone lines going down? Maybe I should be thankful for the former Bell Canada monopoly.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Bethberry you don't want a laptop! Trust me! i have one for school at they are more of a hinderance than a help, most of them weigh to much, break down a lot and never work when you want them.
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Just wanted to compliment everyone in the party on their awesome teamwork:

Haidan, Adanedhel, Bethberry, Madmartigan, Aglod.

Interaction and plot cohesion is developing nicely, as well as the chemistry of the group, being as formerly unknown to each other as we started out ... we're doing great, IMHO, and I'm enjoying adventuring with each and every single one of you.

If for whatever reason I'm not able to post much over the holidays, be assured that I'll be back and muchly looking forward to continuing on with the quest.

(Though it might turn out that I have pretty decent access to this place over Christmas after all, one can only hope.)

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

sorry about this but what does IMHO mean? I have seen lots of people around here use it but i could never figure out what it meant, could someone help me out?
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

"IMHO" stands for "in my humble opinion." Happy to be of help, Adanedhel.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey, about to embark on my journey

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

Gandalf,

Good to see you arrived safely!

Bethberry

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Guys and gall, remember to carefully read everyone else's posts and keep it flowing right. For example, sudden changes in time from morning to night kinda sound weird. Sorry I'm probably being picky, just want it to be a quality RP.
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Bethberry: Thanks. I wanted to incorporate Gandalf's gratitude for the fine breakfast of berries and honeycomb you supplied into the story ... (as well as for the lembas that Haidan supplied for a previous meal) ... but with all the battling and wiping off of swords and riding for our lives going on, such talk of food would seem somehow inappropriate and rather Hobbitish.

Orofacion of the Vanyar: I know what you mean, regarding the speeding-bullet time shifts. Perhaps the people involved can incorporate it logically into the story by going back and making simple edits to their posts to account for the passage of time, with a remark to the effect of "after travelling all day long without incident, night fell again, .... " and then go into the sighting of dark shapes, etc?

At your Service and Rivendell-bound,

Gandalf the Grey

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  64  65  66 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help