Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  64  65  66 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here we go. This is an RP involving a theft from the City of the Corsairs in Umbar. The five characters are established but any cameos or possibly another, or couple, of new characters would be welcomed. I would even enjoy someone brave enough to play Elrond who is in this. Just tell me and give a breif description of who you want to be. So far, the company is Haidan (me), Gandalf the Grey, Bethberry, Adanedhel, and Madmartigan. If anyones interested there is a back story in Snowdog's Inn.

[ 04-11-2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay this is good! When can we start?
I was itching for you to make the topic i could hardly wait! It is a good story line and it looks like a smooth transition from

'Snowdog's Inn' to this.

How many people is there going to be in the company?

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I planned for five but like i said if someone gives me a good character then they can definetly join. I am hoping someone will take on the challenge of a certain character. *CoughElrondCough* By the by, i completely forgot, the timeline we're looking at is a few years before Bilbo's journey.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... which, according to the timeline, would mean that I don't own the sword Glamdring yet. * nods * I believe however it would be acceptable for me to own a lesser sword?
Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i just posted and going to wheather top ain't such a bad idea. Are you making this up as we go along or have you got a set story in mind?
(I know you have a general idea of what's the aim of the story but the inbetween bit is what i'm interested in.

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Well for creative liscensing purposes Tolkien never says how it got to the caves of the Trolls so maybe Gandalf had possessed it at one time then lost it? Sorry GtG I didn't think about that. Adanedhel everything besides the basic story line is being made up, makes it fun for all, right?

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

I knew that, but it's good to make sure in case the originator gets a bit over a little imaginitive thinking by one of the others in the group (not meaning you, just making sure)
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very thoughtful of you, Orofacion of the Vanyar, to offer me the opportunity for purposes of this story-thread to possess Glamdring, however, I hope it will be all right with you if I instead choose to go with a lesser sword? That would be more consistent with our RP, especially given the information on Glamdring catalogued in the Encyclopedia of Arda. I am quite content this way, and in fact, thus to my mind the absence of Glamdring makes for a more realistically satisfying story.

Looking forward to serving the House of the Half-Elven to the best of my ability on this quest,

Gandalf the Grey

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

I think GTG is right. It adds that little bit of authenticity to the story, don't you think?
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Swweeeeeeeeeeeet! One more note, this thread is very very liberal so anyone involved feel free to stear it whichever way, only thing definite is Rivendell and ending up in Umbar.
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

As it is now 3:00 a.m. in the morning my time, I think the best thing for me to do is sleep on the two fine first posts of the story as it now resides in the "Theft of Umbar" thread, so as to come back to this adventure refreshed and able to contribute a worthy post. I shall return. Kudos and high compliments to all my companions so far in this fine fellowship who are creating an intriguing adventure: Haidan, Adanedhel, Bethberry, and Madmartigan.

* bows a goodnight *

Gandalf the Grey

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Goodnight fearless leader and i hope your dreams bode well and are of good omen for the forthcoming journey!
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to join this fine RPG if you don't mind. My name shall be Aglod. I am a mariner and of course good at manning boats. I wear a chain mail shirt and carry a long sword studded with blue and green gems. I also carry a bow and arrows. My swords name is Nimrace. I have cold grey eyes and for a man I can see very far, in distance and future. My horse's name is Barond. Since everyone is going to Weathertop, perhaps I could meet you there since I am coming from Rivendell.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Gilgalad ]

From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madmartigan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1291
posted      Profile for Madmartigan   Email Madmartigan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, uh... are we posting our RP stuff here? Let me know when we can kick it off again. :-)
From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Greetings Madmartigan,

The RP thread has already begun, and is called "The Theft of Umbar." (Not this thread, a different one ... It's here in the Prancing Pony, but you'll have to scroll down to see it.)

This thread, "The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside" is for comments made out of character, so us co-authors can discuss story strategy.

Please do join the Theft of Umbar thread, we're ready for you now, and a post from you would be most welcome.

Also, you've seen the post(s) directed to you from Snowdog's Inn? You can keep those in mind and answer them in the Theft of Umbar thread if you like.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Gilgalad sounds good but we're not going by sea so i'm not sure how you'll fit in. How would you want to incorporate yourself?
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Role-Players,

I've posted in various places here in MT who my character is, but perhaps it is useful for you to see the points given here. Here goes:

"Yes, it is I, Bethberry, dômerel of Goldberry, of the House of Bombadil. It is meet that I should finally find you, companion of my father in the last days, for I have been named for your words before the gate, 'lasto beth lammen,' 'listen to the words of my tongue.' I seek to recover the lost voice of my mother, whose song has not been heard since Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin wound their way out of the Old Forest on their Quest. The ancient lays of the River-daughter are being forgotten and I would fain recover them in hopes of restoring contentedness to mortal hearts. Our paths, it would appear, have some purpose in crossing."

and this:

"By that pool long ago
I bid a sad farewell,
To wander wide and far ahome.
I seek my mother's gladsome songs
throughout this Middle Earth.
Her voice untimely silenced be,
Yet still can mortal heart set free:
'O wind on the waterfall and the leaves' laughter,'
May the pure clear River spirit
Mellow time's disaster." (my poem)

Obviously, this timeline doesn't jive with the RP, but since my character is my own creation and not Tolkien's, I don't think there is a mjor problem. We are not likely to run into Goldberry and Tom on this adventure, are we? *G*

Here's to the game--and the road,
Bethberry

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Gilgalad: The only slight oddity I notice about your character is that you're coming from Rivendell and the party is headed to Rivendell ... but that's just fine, as long as your character doesn't mind turning around and going back the way he came.

Bethberry: May I specially commend you on a most pleasantly enchanting and depthful introduction post! * applauds *

Fellow RPers All: I finally posted to the actual story.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Good post GTG!

I posted and then no one posted for a while i was bitterly dissapointed, but then bethberry posted a lovely peice as did you!

Well done!

*bows*

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Thank you, Adanedhel.

You and the others will find that when it comes to posting in an RP story, I can be just like an Ent. The words do not always come to me right away, and so I must not post anything hasty. * good-natured grin *

Thanks to you and the others in advance for your patience with me. * bows in turn *

Gandalf the Grey

Roland
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 218

posted      Profile for Roland   Author's Homepage   Email Roland   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good story folks. Even though it is just beginning, I am enjoying reading it.
I don't think I plan on joining (maybe a possibility for the future), but I do plan on reading it as it goes along.
Good luck.

From: The greatest nation on God's green Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

Hail and Well Met, Roland,

Praise from such an esteemed one as yourself is indeed an honor. We have not before spoken, but be assured I have taken note of you.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Gilgalad are you thinking of a cameo or a main character? Also no offense to you Gilgalad, but Adanedhel, next time would it be better if we all wait and establish a character before bringing him in? Just a suggestion to make it come together easier. But good posts Ady, same for everyone else . Haidan picked a good group.

P.S. Come on Madmartigan dont be shy.

Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

Sorry Orofacion of the Vanyar, i'll edit it out. Your right it will be better that way!
Sorry everyone!

(oops too late! i suppose if gil-galad doesn't join then we can pass him off as a weary traveller looking for a dry place to stay the night and some food or news? Then we can be on our way with him continuing his journey past us)

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be a main character. I know it sounds wierd for me bieng a marineer, but I mostly spend my time in Rivendell and at the grey havens. I don't mind turning around once I meet you all a Weathertop.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » The Theft of Umbar - A Word Aside (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  64  65  66 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help