Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » What makes a good RP? (Page 2)
Author Topic: What makes a good RP?
Roland
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 218

posted      Profile for Roland   Author's Homepage   Email Roland   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cernunnos, I (and hopefully others) read RP threads that I don't, myself, participate in. It can be quite entertaining, so long as it is well done.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"God is the Lord, of angels, and of men - and of elves."
~Tolkien

From: The greatest nation on God's green Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's another RP question I'm interested in: what sorts of numbers of people read the stories but don't contribute to them? It wd be nice if the people contributing to a tale are not, as it were, just talking to each other, but are having their contribs appreciated by many . . .
Any insights?

Now you know one more. []

Apart from the storyline, I think the flow in the story and the consistency in the posting makes a rather big difference.

-----

Nice thread. Never knew of it, until now. []

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read RPs as well. I'm working my way through the Green Dragon, rather slowly, and finding some of the posts really impressive! If rather daunting for those of us new to RPs.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The only disagreement I have with all the wonderful comments people have made here is the suggestion that for it to be a good RP it must be based on ME.
I do love JRRT's work but I also believe that an RP set in a different world can show great imagination. (says the girl who has started two RP's both not ME based).
Both of them are adimtedly based on two of my own (unpublished) novels and so I know the worlds as well as ME. I think prahaps it is that, that makes a goog RP. The knowledge of a world and the abitlity to draw both the readers and the other players into that world! (on that note its possible my RP's aren't that good! opps)

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think there shd certainly be room for non-ME stories, Swordmaster, tho' I wd say that if they are to be set in JRRT's world, then I prefer those stories that stick to the parameters Tolkien himself created. This will hopefully make the contributors more careful, while still leaving a huge creative space (for I find it easier for the imagination to work with something to invent from).

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nacilwen Ostrocundo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2858
posted      Profile for Nacilwen Ostrocundo   Email Nacilwen Ostrocundo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a good RP... all the things you said... but also the best RPG i've ever participated i think had a few things that made it so

None of the participants knew anything about the other characters... so your constantly learning and reacting with your own charcter, it makes it more interesting

Relationships are essential... it's so much more fun to build relationships with the other charcters as you go... be it mistrustful or totally in love with... i like seeing the characters grow

plot line, plot line, plot line... but at the same time i don't like having a set plot line before you begin... it's more fun if you have no idea what's going to happen

commitment... i absolutley HATE it when people give up on RPG's after three days... my philosephy is don't start anything that you aren't prepared to finish

make your characters REAL and diverse... it's no fun at all if every girl character was brought up fighting and is insanely good at it... not to mention their drop dead gorgeous and have magic powers... same thing goes for the guys

secrets are fun... this one character in the RPG decided in the beginning that she knew a secret about my character... and i had no idea what it was... come to think of it i still don't know what it is [] haven't gotten it out of her yet... but it made it more interesting

finally... RP's with 5 characters or less are always the most fun and less confusing

those things in my opinion make a good RP

From: did i mention i like scissors? | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*applauds Nacilwen*

Yes, very good points. I would concur with alot of them. I would also agree with many of the other citizens who have posted their ideas.

For me, I think that characters make or break a story. Sure, a plot line is equally as important, but when you have really vivid characters, the story comes alive and will shape itself. You see through their eyes, and experience what they are going through and then I think it's easier to let the storyline flow.

Of course, participation is a key thing. One cannot do an RPG solo, but to me, I think characters are what make an RPG truly memorable. []

I have strived to make mine different and varying, and it has been great fun to create them. []

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
RPT RPT RPT RPT RPT []

Sorry for this entirely useless post, but I deserve one every now and again. I would just like to quickly say I am happy to see this thread come to the top again. I think it is evidence that the Green Dragon Sticky Thread is doing its job, and it is good threads like this that have spent so long in the depths of the mire that made the sticky thread so desireable.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a good RP?

Story of course is the most essential aspect of any written endeavor. But one must not overlook the players themselves. I believe to two should coincide with each other, balancing and accentuating the other.

Some of the minor, yet equally important factors would be the very first post itself. Some find it necessary to "set up" the RP with the first post in a way, others simply go straight into the plot. Either way, the first post is crucial for grabbing the attention of the reader. No offense, but I've seen so many, "The sun was low in the evening sky as [main character] rode down the lane." Blah...

My last bit of opinion on good RPing is the ultimate outcome. RPs need to have something to strive for at the end, whether it be a meeting, a rescue, whatever. Alot of RPs trail off without ending, but that's often due to players leaving, and/or no further development in the story. This is the Doom of RPs it seems. I've only seen two through fruition, one Tolkien oriented, the other a different genre.

"The Theft of Umbar" will end, at some point. I say that as "creator" but I honestly believe it will, whether it be only myself writing the last posts (which I doubt) or the whole cast finishing strong (I tend to lean toward that idea myself), it will end. A good end is just as essential as a good beginning.

Basically you get a great storyline going, fill that story with some choice players, keep your head on tight, be patient with the posting, and end strong. The RP will be great.

[ 02-17-2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maikatellumaiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1301

posted      Profile for Maikatellumaiel   Author's Homepage   Email Maikatellumaiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Either way, the first post is crucial for grabbing the attention of the reader. No offense, but I've seen so many, "The sun was low in the evening sky as [main character] rode down the lane." Blah...
~Orofacion o the Vanyar

I disagree w/ your "blah..." I don't know about anyone else, but I feel an introductory sentances like that one are important. Then again, I write seriously outside of RP's, and intro sentances, or even paragraphs, set up many things.

I agree with just about everything else that would make a good RPG. I think it's a great idea to start with no real plot, just a vague outline of who's going somewhere, and maybe why they are going. I also think that RP's not based in ME show expansive imagination and creativity. I've tried to start a few RP's, and specifically say not to use Tolkiens works(as awesome as they are!), but inevitably, they are turned Tolkien by some immature RP'er or newbie. I'm as diehard Tolkien as they come, but variety is the name of my game!

Another thing that makes a good RPG is variety(there it is again!) of characters. A ditz, a football dummy, a clever thief, and a Xena-type would make an interesting RPG no?

From: Over there looking at a thing in a bag. | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No one has yet said a thing about setting. How does the scenery or locale of the RP effect the players in a positive way?
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of RPing has occurred by RPers that I do not know since June 2004. I would be curious to hear from people these days what they consider important to them about the RPs in which they participate.
~Mandin

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Scenery and locale is very important in a good RP. The lack of a setting really turns many RPs into a generic swords and journey with no real anchor. I myself like to use subtle setting descriptions, where the scene is described throughout a post, not just narrated off at the beginning. The trouble is this requires others to actually read the post and be able to pick up on that which is written.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Any of these people still around?

nearly 9 years since it was asked and 5 years after it was asked again, let's ask the question again.

What makes a good RP?

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose the primary purpose of a role-play is to have fun and to interact with others! And it's better than watching TV! As far as a Tolkien one is concerned it is nice to learn more about his world, one cannot always write everything by oneself! and it is also nice if a Tolkien roleplay can remain true in spirit at least to the world that he created!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: character development. []

Good to see you still visit, Snowdog.

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Yeah i was around in the beginning, and I'm still around.
Good to see you visit Altarial!
I agree, character development is critical, but so is a writer leaving a hook for the next writer. []

Vahndel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5110

posted      Profile for Vahndel   Email Vahndel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most crucial part of keeping an RP alive and healthy, if not starting one, is communication between the participants. What makes an RP so unique is that it's an active collaboration, where one writer's foundation is built upon by the efforts of all involved.

However, at the same time there should be a semi-concrete story arc or goal considered by the lead writer/creator to prevent the plot from "losing itself" and having the RP fade out before reaching any real conclusion. Clear communication between the writers can help sustain the story by making sure people won't disappear in the middle of a story arc, or knowing ahead of time if someone plans to drop out, in order to properly write off that person's character.

From: Florida, the Flower of the US | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » What makes a good RP? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help