Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » What makes a good RP? (Page 1)
Author Topic: What makes a good RP?
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Character, storyline, expanding on JRRT's concept of Middle-earth, lots of mindless violence?

What are your opinions?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I am in favour of a good storyline above and beyond almost anything else.

Having a group of people who all enjoy the story is near-essential. I don't think that an RP needs any violence at all to be good, though it almost invariably seems to arrive sooner or later. Hour of Darkness managed to get onto its sixth page before there there was any violence proper, though it was threatened and hinted at much earlier. Good characters are helpful, but soon fall into the same pattern of talking to one another if there is no story to guide them onwards. Personally, I find that RPs can be very frustrating to read when the authors have not used correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Middle-Earth is always a nice back-drop, and can be used very well and incorporated into the story, but I don't think that this is what makes or breaks an RP.

---

Why do you ask?

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some excellent points, Ldn.

I was just curious as to what people wd say.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would you then be so kind as to grace us with your own opinion?
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

As it happens, they coincide almost exactly with yr own! Story and character rather than mindless slashing. I have a liking for being as true to ME as JRRT described as possible also. I appreciate yr comment about spelling! Of course anyone can make a mistake, but I think folk shd get into the habit of at least reading over their posts to check this before they add them. Some are so badly spelled that it seems a number of people do not do this.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Would you like to join Hour of Darkness?

We have not been moving that fast of late, and you might bring new impetus to the story.

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like a good story line.
I like people to proof-read their stuff. A spelling mistake here or there is alright. Also, people write the most improbably junk. The cool thing about Tolkien is that he's totally fantasy but also totally believable. Also, modern slang is not good.
Yes, Cernunnos, if you see an oportunity please jump in the O of D.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elberas
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1092
posted      Profile for Elberas   Author's Homepage   Email Elberas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a good RP? I would have to say that the people involved in the Role-Play is quite crucial. Without actors and actresses there wouldn't be much of a plot and no one would really bother! Of course, a good storyline always plays an essential role within the Role-Play thread. As Madin said, I believe proofing your post beforehand is very beneficial and overall makes you look good. There's nothing worse than seeing a post riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, though we all are human and we do make me mistakes! Sometimes I wonder if all of us here are Human but that's just my opinion.
From: West Palm Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* enters, nods a friendly greeting *

Hullo Cernunnos,

What makes a good adventure? Why, living happily ever after, of course. Can't have the dragon or other forces of darkness winning, you know. But I take it what you're actually looking for is insight regarding how best to reach a successful conclusion, taking into consideration that the journey itself in large measure determines the journey's end.

* lights a fresh bowl of pipeweed and settles in for a conversational smoke *

One factor which I always hope for and try to encourage, is for each adventurer to rely on and bring to the party the best efforts of their character, rather than relying on mere name or reputation. This combined contribution of self allows in turn for each one to rely on the rest, which inner harmony enables the group to work together with proper focus on the quest.

Yes, being the Utmost High So-and-So (fill in the blank here with various assorted royal or other important-sounding titles), or the son or daughter of the Utmost High So-and-So, and having slain an uncountable number of foul monsters while having hung upside-down and blindfolded over a cliff makes for an excellent story around the campfire during the night watch or while sharing drinks in the comfort of an Inn ... and such tales can provide much merriment.

But in order for great deeds to be done, Men (Elves, Dwarves, or any other race you care to name) must be humble.

Thank you for the opportunity to add my two pieces of mithril to your fine discussion.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hae
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1005
posted      Profile for Hae   Email Hae   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think i agree with all the opinions above,

Having a storyline is the most important thing IMHO, as without a story, however hard the characters try, it will just turn into a conversation. I think having an interesting first post encourages more people to join. Although storyline is important, It should not be laid out in stone beforehand, as this makes the point of the input of other people pretty pointless, except just to fill up the roles.
With a good storyline i then think you also need strong characters aswell. Without these the story won't go anywhere. Obviously, with no-one to play the parts, than how can the story get anywhere.
I think storyline, and sensible, RELEVANT, postings are the most important to making a good roleplay. I don't roleplay much myself (except live action roleplay, which is different) but i enjoy reading a lot of them. I'm still yet to read Hour of Darkness, But i'm sure i'll get round to it sometime soon.

From: Guildford, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nyneve
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 847
posted      Profile for Nyneve   Email Nyneve   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm good question.

Through everyone may have their own opinion of what makes a good RP story, I like a well thought out story line and well rounded characters. Stories need a sense of direction or soon they may wind up going in too many directions with each character wanting to fulfil their own agenda. A story line helps to guide a writer and with well thought out characters even if they stray for a while from the main purpose of the story, a writer always has something to go back to. Side plots, character interaction, humor, suspense, even throwing a loop into the story all make it more fun. Violence may have its place also, but mindless violence can get boring after awhile.

From: The Lady of the Lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Me.
Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

I think this is turning into a valuable discussion. Particularly appreciate someone's point about not using modern slang! Stands out like a sore thumb, at least to my eyes. Away with OK, yeah, alright etc, etc! These are not inhabitants of Middle-earth!

I've written this before in more than one thread, but I'll mention again an excellent (and funny) article on getting the 'high' style of fantasy right by Ursula le Guin (like JRRT, a master stylist) called 'From Elfland to Poughkeepsie'. Read it if you can.

[ 07-10-2002, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Cernunnos ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Nyneve
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 847
posted      Profile for Nyneve   Email Nyneve   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cernunnos, in reference to the article by LeGuin (love her books btw), where can it be found? It sounds like something I might like to read. Thanks.
From: The Lady of the Lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otaku
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 887

posted      Profile for Otaku   Email Otaku   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Come check out either the Travel or the Travel: As the Evil, you might get an idea of something?? Or even you could join

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"... of walking through a cold rain and reflecting on having failed a loved one..."
~Eri Izawa

http://taikate.deviantart.com/

Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

It's in a collection of her essays, Nyneve. There are two. One is called Dancing at the Edge of the World. Can't remember the other one. Don't have the books with me. There are several le Guin websites: you'd get the info from them.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

Btw (probably) the same collection has a very gd article on LotR called 'The Staring Eye'.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Nyneve
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 847
Vegeta, since your invitation sounded like it was addressed to no one in particular, I will respond. At this moment I am involved in, mmm…let’s see, Nyneve thinks to herself counting with her fingers…5 different RP’s. My plate is full at the moment even though some of the stories move slowly. But I like to read different RP’s when I have the time; I will read yours as it goes along.
Nyneve
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 847
Thanks Cernunnos, I will look for them.
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Cernunnos; since you have replied to this thread several times since I posed it, may I take this to mean that you do not wish to take me up on the above offer? I hold no problem with this, and would not begrudge it, but should, if possible, like an answer, that we may know where we stand.
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

I wanted to read the story before saying - rather busy at the moment. Will get back to you on that . . .

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Aha - makes sense.

If you start reading it, I'd just like to ask you to ignore the third post - Aragorn186 replied without asking and we never got him to delete it.

Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

There's another RP question I'm interested in: what sorts of numbers of people read the stories but don't contribute to them? It wd be nice if the people contributing to a tale are not, as it were, just talking to each other, but are having their contribs appreciated by many . . .

Any insights?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Nyneve
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 847
I read quite a few stories that I am not involved in, some here and some on other boards.

If a story is interesting, I follow it for as long as people posting, learning from them how changes are brought about by the various viewpoints. I appreciate all of the work and thought that goes into their writing, for I know how hard it can sometimes be to write in an RP story.

Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* looks in on Cernunnos's second RP question but decides to simply read and not to contribute an answer just yet *

Gandalf the Grey

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » What makes a good RP? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help