Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Social Ranking in Minas Tirith? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Social Ranking in Minas Tirith?
The Thief
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 828

posted      Profile for The Thief   Email The Thief   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that I respect and tend to agree with people with lots of posts, and that people with lots of post seem to have a whole lot of Lord of the rings wisdom. Easily explained yet kind of strange.
From: Possum Creek | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you mean by lots of posts - over a thousand - than you are probably right although there aren't many people with that many posts here. I would not, however, dismiss all of the other people here as some are very intelligent and entertaining. There certainly aren't many people here that don't make a good contribution to MT. Everybody is worth listening to...except you because you only have 7 posts.

------------------
Arra lives in us

This message has been edited by TheGentleman on 09-05-2001 at

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Never a truer word spoken by a new be

------------------
MY WORLD MY LOVE
MY EVERYTHING

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thief
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 828

posted      Profile for The Thief   Email The Thief   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly My point the gentlemen. I'm sure people look at me and say, "phhhh only seven posts."
And of course I don't dismiss everything That everybody says. I just pay a little more attention to (and I am sure many others do as well) To people with say, A few thousand posts. These posters have obviously been doing it for a long time and should know a bit about the many books to write so many.
But also people with low amounts of posts write things worth reading as well.
Sorry if I am judging people I don't even remotely know, but it just something i have to say.

From: Possum Creek | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ensa Lucis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 596
posted      Profile for Ensa Lucis   Email Ensa Lucis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have never ever looked at the number of posts someone has. That has absolutely no bearing on the vailidity of their post. Why discriminate someone on the basis of post count? The only time number of posts matters to me is when the person in question has one - and in that case I add a welcome to my reply.

------------------
Ensa Lucis
Fraudulent Teabags?

This message has been edited by Ensa Lucis on 09-05-2001 at

From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ensa Lucis a little bit on this one. some of the smartest people here have barely 100 posts, ie. Nimruzir... and then you have smart people with thousands of posts, ie. Fingolfin. Post count has nothing to do with how smart you are. I do not consider myself smart, but I do however consider myself a devout Tolkien fan.

------------------
25 Hobbits

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of those chaps whose over a thousand posts has not helped his Tolkien knowledge. What I should be doing, instead of posting as often as I do, is reading the LotR and Hobbit again and going on to the Home Books.
Menahem is another example of the "low post, listen to what he sais anyway" chaps. He did not have a great deal to say Tolkienwise, I don't believe, nor did he do any of the RP threads - ok, maybe one or two - but he was very cool in many of the serious discussions in the two inns, Green Dragon and Prancing Pony.

Despite this, however, it seems that we jump too swiftly on newbies attributing grand properties to post numbers. If my memory serves me correctly, those with the most posts had quite a bit to say about it a few months ago. I guess that explains why those of us who have been here a while are so fed up with talk of post counts.

Ah well.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For instance King Richard, although not having all that many posts is a very respected member. And Nimruzir while only having about 300 posts has great knowledge to be told.
From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, King Richard isn't that respected when it comes to Tolkien.

Seriously though, there are quite a few members who don't post very often and therefore seem 'respectable' due to their refraining from soiling themselves in some of the mud-slinging threads.

Truely respectable citizens around here should be gauged by a combination of their Tolkien knowledge along with their general civility.

But, it all really depends on what you are looking for in a respectable citizen. For a rip-roaring wacky thread, perhaps a different standard of respect is needed.

Maybe any circumstance on a message board isn't good enough to hand out the term 'respect' to a person. I hate to judge a person just to fit them in a pigeon-hole in my mind. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you want KingRichard to be that respected when it comes to Tolkien WGW?

------------------
25 Hobbits

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Strider
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 730
posted      Profile for Dr. Strider   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some people may have written thousands of posts elsewhere like Barrow Downs before stumbling onto Minas Tirith.

And some very young people, new to the LOTR world may have refreshing insights. Altogether unique perspectives.

I'd hate for newbies to refrain from posting because they are new. It is interesting to find out what people believe about Gandalf, Galadriel and all the others, regardless of the years of meticulous research. And of less concern is whether I agree with them.

From: Eugene OR USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yea post count has no bearing on tolkien knowledge.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nienna the Weeper
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 364

posted      Profile for Nienna the Weeper   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ensa Lucis. One thing I like about MT is the fact that the post count isn't really quite obvious. You just see their name and read their post.

------------------
For we are but Atani and Death is our fate. Such is the Gift of Iluvatar. ~ For months, I've had this sig. It had never meant so much to me as it does now.

From: Why are you looking down here? | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ninj
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 681
posted      Profile for Ninj   Email Ninj   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
to tell you the truth half the time i dont even see their name

i agree though, i dont think number of posts should be visible, that would stop post based discrimination

From: The magical elven realmadi-blah-di-blah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArchAngel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 651
posted      Profile for ArchAngel   Email ArchAngel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that number of posts is irrelevant, unless of course it is newbie season, heh heh heh.
From: The Valley of Paradise | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maglor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 498

posted      Profile for Maglor   Email Maglor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't look at number of posts i look at how long they have been here for. Some people post alot in a short time and some don't but if you've been here for 3 or 4 months then you proberly have learnt alot from other people's posts and know what you are doing.
From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 31
posted      Profile for Tempest   Email Tempest   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Don't hate me cause I have few posts!
From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ninj
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 681
posted      Profile for Ninj   Email Ninj   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
DONT TALK TO ME TEMPEST! I HATE YOU!
From: The magical elven realmadi-blah-di-blah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Archangel just a week ago you made an entire thread purely saying that you had 200 posts, do you want to reconsider that post?
From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ninj
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 681
X

hahahahahahahaha

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Keep on posting! Your rank will change when you hit 100 or so.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

Tuor got to it first

When you join you are a Soldier of Gondor until you have 101 posts when you become a Guard of the Cidatel. White Gold Wielder is a Steward of Gondor because he is the leader of MT. There is supposedly a rank for being a Moderator, but there aren't any of them, and I forget what it was.

------------------

25 Hobbits

Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Captain of the White Tower maybe?
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a romour that when you reach 10,000 post you become Steward of the City. Is this true?

Also - apparently - after 100,000 posts you become Sad Git of the Tower, is this true?

And according to some, after 1,000,000 posts you become a target for the FBI. This I don't believe.

------------------
Don't Read This Because You Will Be Disapointed

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eorl the Young
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 843
posted      Profile for Eorl the Young   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Giggle, giggle...
From: Denmark, home of the highest mountains in Europe | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Green Dragon » Social Ranking in Minas Tirith? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help