Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » I hate Facebook and Twitter (Page 1)
Author Topic: I hate Facebook and Twitter
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all right, I do confess that Facebook can be useful with keeping in touch with people, yet hey we seemed to manage that in all the decades before Facebook existed, but I am beginning to get annoyed with some of the posts which I keep receiving. It seems that some people who I am quite happy or at least was to make their acquatance with I in moments of weakness friend on Facebook, so now my Inbox now gets shattered with poo. And those stupid bloody number games they send. I have never like them and they just annoy me now!
And as for Twitter I am not on Twitter and never will be and only very rarely look at it. But from what I hear, it seems to me full of Noobs and I have no incliniation to go their.
I do realize that there are other Social Media (What a horrible phrase) sites out there but they don't seem much better. Anyway, no-one has started a topic here for a while, so I thought I would.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I get where you're coming from here. I got into the social media sites back in '06, getting a My Space, a Facebook, and a Twitter account. I hardly used my twitter, and recently I de-activated my account because Twitter kept locking my account due to some "suspicious activity". MySpace has become the deserted amusement park, and Facebook is what it is. I first got onto MySpace and Facebook to stay in touch with family when I moved half way around the world. But it seems that instead of keeping me close to my kids, it has actually drove a wedge between one of them. The old communication of calling on the phone has been lost.

As for the latest thing, I'm into pinterest, collecting photos and such. Its a bit of a dogs breakfast but maybe I'll organize it one day. Meanwhile, I attempt to keep writing and RPing an discussing the written books of Middle Earth wherever and whenever I can.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it has actually drove a wedge
[]
I know what you mean, but for me, Facebook has been both a curse and a godsend. I'm a slow processor. FB gives me the chance to display my wittiness in ways that in-person interactions don't. It has been the very rare person who is patient enough to wait for my responses, otherwise. []

[ 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: faithfull ]

From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can you repeat that please? I dozed off. []

Facebook is evil. Its primary purpose is to have you break the NUMBER ONE rule of safe Internet usage: Never post personal (or any) information that you wouldn't want the entire world to see.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

quote:
Can you repeat that please? I dozed off.
[]
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FB gives me the chance to display my wittiness
[]

And a good rule is to assume that anything one posts or emails is public.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

quote:
And a good rule is to assume that anything one posts or emails is public.
[]
Yes, and when one's account is hijacked, all sorts of other, ugly things can be done. []
I had planned to inactivate my account early in 2013, due to really odd behavior from people, [] but as things progressed it just seemed better to hang on and ride the thing out. [] []

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

In the states, there were some really strict rules about tapping and listening in on private telephone calls whet that medium was the two-wire 'landline'. But when mobile phones started t take off, I knew that they were really mini radio transmitters, and when they were analog, we could pick them up on our spectrum analyzers at work. I've always assumed anything I did via a mobile phone, be it voice comms or txt, had the chance of being picked up somewhere by someone. The government came into that mix after September 11 2001, but it was likely they were into it before then. Mr Snowden blew the lid off what I already suspected.

It was the same with the internet. You send something out there into the inter-webs, it could go anywhere. Assume its public, and you don't let anything you want private out that gate. Then there is nothing to worry about. Also, change passwords & pins regularly, and don't use the same one over several accounts. Its common sense.

Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you mean. I never had myspace, and never use my twitter... but facebook, ugh. I originally started it when I was deployed to Iraq to keep in touch with family and friends, and now I use it for my business so much I can't delete it...otherwise I would!
From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have no facebook/twitter accounts and am proud of it []
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Facebook is so hugely popular that many (most?) businesses now have a FB page. It’s good business and was especially good for attracting younger customers but that has changed since people of all ages started using FaceBook. “Like us on FaceBook” is really just a business buzz word and used to attract attention more than taking you to a site with substance.

Instead of Googling a business and going to the first page on their site to see a summary of their products and services now you go to their FaceBook page to see the summary. Each link on the FaceBook page then directs you to their real site. What’s the point? It somehow seems progressive for a business to have a FB page. I guess to some with a limited thought process. But targeting the weak is the nature of all advertising.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hear the MT Facebook group has seen some activity lately.... []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Yeah, some people who no longer post here, but have the time to post in the MT facebook group. []

....and most sockpuppets don't have any sort of account that identifies them outside the forum they are on. []

[ 08-06-2015, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

quote:
...and most sockpuppets don't have any sort of account that identifies them outside the forum they are on. []

Yep. I will probably have to make myself disappear, for a term, from all online activity while I clean things up and anonymize. I love the way I have been able to reconnect with old, old acquaintances, but way too much weird stuff has happened to me as a result of all the "connectedness." [] OMGoodness, I am not retaliatory, but a teeny part of me wishes certain other people would get recognized everywhere they went, and everyone pretending that nothing of the sort is going on . . . []
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

The MT FaceBook group? I see eight areas named Minas Tirith on FaceBook.

Or I didn't do a proper search.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The Official Minas Tirith Facebook group
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

Oh. You have to log on to FaceBook to see it.
um. no.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Two weeks later and you just now found that out? It's where the Bookface Minas Tirithians gather to talk about the non-bookface Minas Tirithians.... [] []
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

Urgent business kept me away from MT (and all other fun stuff) until yesterday, Mr. BookFace. []

So there are no MovieFace Minas Tirithians there? No DQ et al? That could work. [] again

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
MovieFace Minas Tirithians there? No DQ et al?
[] That would be the PJ apologist crowd... well DQ & Mr Forochel. Anyone else?
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*runs through the City trailing red and gold banner*
[] [] [] [] []

THERE'S ONLY ONE MINAS TIRITH

THERE'S ONLY ONE MINAS TIRITH
[/hooliganism]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DQ & Mr Forochel.
You're just calling me a PJ-apologist, right? You're not claiming I'm on FB? []

quote:
I do realize that there are other Social Media (What a horrible phrase) sites out there but they don't seem much better.
Social Media is not only a horrible phrase, it's also very inaccurate. There are few things less sociable than telling everyone you've ever met that you just bought cheese. I don't use any of these sites and I doubt I ever will.

[ 08-23-2015, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
You're not claiming I'm on FB? []
Why would I "claim" that? It is pretty easy to tell who is who and who isn't who by taking a look at their online footprint. [] []
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Actually I'm quite interested in cheese, so if anyone has bought any interesting cheese recently, please feel free to let me know.
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

I tried to buy cheese but failed
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » I hate Facebook and Twitter (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help