Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Sorry, there are no new posts today! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Sorry, there are no new posts today!
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd post a new topic! This hasn't been done for a while. But when I think of how busy and mostly happy this place used to be, it makes me sad in these quiet days of any site other than Facebook or Twitter that the above message often occurs. Actually, speaking of the above sites, it always amazes me how people often get in trouble for inappropriate posts. I think journalists watch some celebrities on social media just so they can make idiots of themselves! Why don't the celebrities just post in this site? No-one watches here, they can just say what they like! So, to avoid this if you log in and have nothing to say, why not just leave a message in this thread saying 'posted,' or something like that! I suppose in the old days this might have been called spam!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Spam spam spam spam
SPAAAAAM
WONDERFUL SPAAAAAAM!

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Spiced Ham
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah in a way Facebook is more about yourself and what you want to show of you to others (or at least it's becoming more and more like this) than a message board...
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe neither of them is anything like a message board, but I do not and would not use either. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Purpose of Facebook from what I observe of my friends:
  • Monitoring the activity of your enemies in case they are talking about you []
  • Posting 80billion identical photos of your baby/cat/meals that are of interest to precisely nobody []
  • Engaging in passive-aggressive status wars with your relatives []
  • Stalking your exes to make sure their lives are not better than yours post-breakup []
Things for which I have not seen Facebook used ever:
  • Keeping in touch with people you care about []
Yeah, no thanks. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posting 80billion identical photos of your baby/cat/meals that are of interest to precisely nobody
Yeah. [] It is especially annoying when some of my friends who were not like that at all at the beginning just start to do it. []

But I think you forgot one of the main activities (that especially annoys me) :
  • Posting all the cool and fun things you get to do and the amazing places you get to go to just to make everyone you know jealous

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posting 80billion identical photos of your baby/cat/meals that are of interest to precisely nobody
Is the idea of this thread, then, that as I don't have a facebook account, I should post those photos here instead?
 -
That's not "my cat" any more, though - he died several years ago ... []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Athene, that was the best description of Farcebook I've ever heard. Thank you. []
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*likes*
*shares*
*stalks*
[]

[ 04-28-2013, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

If you're going to stalk people, get off your butt to do it. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing well! Get off the internet and into that flower bed! [] []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Things for which I have not seen Facebook used ever:
Keeping in touch with people you care about []

The reason I got Book of Faces back in 2006 was to stay in touch with family. Trouble is the more I saw of some of their status updates, the less I cared for them. Didn't realize they were so damn depressed with their consistant 'woe is me, life sux' status updates mixed in with 'God is great and in control, and I'm happy with that' status updates. Had our contact been limited to the phone call and visit here and there through the weeks like in the old days, I'd probably still care more for them. I do still get to see and save pix of the grandkids though, which is why we remain friends on there.

-  -

[ 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Posts!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Nice cat, Varna!
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The GF (who is herself an FB warrior, cue many eye-rollings from me [] ) has a "friend" who posts purely about the fact that he is tired, or has had a nice cup of tea, or has just got home from work. Those are LIDERALI the only statuses that he ever posts. []

My theories:
  • He is genuinely that dull
  • He is actually a spy, and this is his cover
  • He is a BoringBot™, a new form of spambot designed to lull people into buying things with sheer tedium, and this is his beta testing phase
Just.... why post that? Why post at all? [] Why not write haikus of searing poignancy and beauty about your cup of tea? TEA IS A VALID SUBJECT FOR HAIKUS. HALF THE HAIKUS EVER WRITTEN ARE ABOUT TEA. THE OTHER HALF ARE ABOUT CHRYSANTHEMUM BLOSSOMS IN THE SUNSHINE. THAT IS ALSO GOOD. [/capslock flail]

[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Send no tea to me;
Australian Customs folk will
Chuck it in the sea

Especially if it
Smells like those Chrysanthemum
Blossoms in sunshine.

[]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Open like a flower
Infuse the air with golden
Scent of summertime

(That one is about chrysanthemum tea, which I was given when I went to stay with Arien. It tasted like lemon washing up liquid, and heaven only knows how I managed to get it through customs. [] )

[ 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

I can't do haikus
No artistic talent here
But I can do spam

Non sequitur words
Filled with disdain for Farcebook
Follow in my wake

Um...That was pretty bad. Lack of talent proven as that was the best I could do.

ah, Posted!

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

*posts*
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You like posts.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So do I.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I herd u lyk mudkipz []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Lots of posts.
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

-
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[]
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Sorry, there are no new posts today! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help