Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Hitchhikers Guide to Really Good Pizza (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Hitchhikers Guide to Really Good Pizza
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*had a quasi-all meat pizza some days ago*
Minced meat, pepperoni and bacon. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
`Thought I would take on what Athene started to do in this thread and make a directory. I'll start with the restaurant/takeaway places, and will later make a sub-set of the frozen/bake-at-home places. I'll include links if I can reliably be sure they are the same place mentioned by the fair citizens of Minas Tirith.

~ Hitchhiker's Directory of Really Good Pizza ~

(recommended by Snowdog)
The Northlake Tavern in Seattle on the northshore of Lake Union. Making great pizza since 1954!
Smoking Monkey in Renton, Washington, USA
Fire in the Belly in Lismore, New South Wales, Australa
The Burrow in Brisbane's West-End. Also with good beer and nice atmosphere!
Nico's Restaurantin Port Campbell, Victoria. No website so I linked Trip Advisor & FBook
Sandy's in Toledo Washington.
Giordano's in Chicago. They were lined up out the door when we were there in May 2014, but well worth it!
The Independent Pizzeria in Seattle. Heard good things about this place from people I trust. Will have to visit when I'm back.
Pizzeria Pulcinella in south Seattle, an excellent pizza place. Booking are essential as seating is limited.
Kylie's Chicago Pizza in Seattle's Fremont district. They do Chicago as if it was a west coast city!
Scoozi Silician Restaurant in Melbourne's Ascot Vale is simply one of the best!
Alegria Woodfire Cafe Italian Restaurant. Excellent tasting pizza and pasta.

While searching for Freya's fine recommendation, I found a Lupa Pizzeria here in Australia located in Wollongong New South Wales. If I'm ever there, I'll check it out.

While searching for Madomir's recommendation, I found a Papa Gino's here in Australia located in the Carlton area of Melbourne. If I'm ever there, I'll check it out.

(recommended by Athene(?)
Cavese's in Krefeld-St Tönis, Germany
Le Cochonnet in North London.

(recommended by Thorin)
Vecchia Napoli in Sliema, Malta.

(recommended by Artaresto)
Claudio's in Kamares, Sifnos, Greece.

(recommended by Amárië)
Four Star in Belfast. I couldn't find a Five Star, but the address was right. Maybe they lost one?

(recommended by Lillianna)
Mama D's Manhatten Beach, California.

(recommended by LycraLuthien Tinuviel)
The Rock Wood-Fired Kitchen in Federal Way. They have many locations around the USA.

(recommended by Inc')
Chez Bartolo at 7 Rue Des Canettes - Paris

(recommended by Madomir)
Papa Gino's U.S. New England chain.

(recommended by Mahanaxar)
Flavors Italian Grille in Salisbury Maryland. According to reviewers, it's closed now.

(recommended by Peregrin Took)
Sergi's Italian Restaurant in Potsdam New York.

(recommended by Lostfiniel)
Pizza Port in Carlsbad California. Complete with Brew-pub with several house-made beers on tap! (I love the fact they refer to it as 'grog'. Very Ozzy!)

(recommended by Galion The Tipsy Butler)
A Taste of Italy]] in Gallatin Tenesee. They have a few locations around the area.

(recommended by Aina Moja)
Orso Bruno in Radauţi, Romania

recommended by Maia Olorin)
B & M
Pendeli's in Montreal Quebec.

(recommended by Freya)
Latte di bufala in Piombino, Tuscany. (Couldn't find a link to it at all.)
Pizza Lupa in London for Takeaway/Delivery.

(recommended by Aiwrendel)
Edwardo's Natural Pizza in Chicago.

[ 12-09-2016, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

posted      Profile for Aina Moja   Author's Homepage   Email Aina Moja   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Orso Bruno in Radauţi, Romania. Surioosly fabulous pizza. Thin, crispy crust, freshly made cheese, thin, chunky tomato sauce...Mmmmmm...Paired with some apa minerala: Legendary! []
From: The Back of A Camel | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately Armondo's in Renton has closed after 20 some odd years.
But Smoking Monkey has opened now in their place, and it has gotten it back to the old days of Armondo's!

Both Smoking Monkey, and Fire in the Belly make excellent pizzas with their wood-fired ovens, & they both serve good beer too. The oven at Fire in the Belly is sculpted into a giant red dragon!

Gringos, just know that if you order the all-meat pizzas here in Australia, you'll get it with BBQ sauce instead of tomato pizza sauce UNLESS you specify pizza sauce when ordering. Now I don't mind the occasional BBQ sauced meat pizza, but every time?? No thanks! I get the strangest looks when I say I want it with the regular pizza sauce, and the occasion the chef makes the mistake and use BBQ sauce anyway is the occasions I enjoy one that style.

I have decided to make a directory of all the places mentioned in this thread in my 1st post.
Meanwhile, keep those great pizza places coming folks!

[ 10-18-2014, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a really nice pizza place in the Lake District. I was looking at the menu for it recently while researching a holiday. Looks like it's changed beyond recognition, though I suppose it might still be nice if you like fancy things and meat.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pizzas in Germany all taste the same, and are quite uninspiring.

Montreal, on the other hand, my hometown, makes the best pizzas I've ever had in the number of places I've lived in my life.

Pendeli's Pizza;

B & M Pizza.

When I was in Montreal a couple of years ago, I suspended my vegetarianism so I could have a B & M pepperoni pizza with some friends. At the first taste, time seemed to stop: I closed my eyes, and just felt like I was going up to heaven. It was really weird. My mouth is just watering thinking about it. These are 'mom and pop' owned, and I bought my first pizzas from them when I was 11! []

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

As much as I like the wood-fire oven pizzas made at The Grove Establishment, they have been having a bit of trouble keeping a decent pizza chef recently. My wife ordered their Tomato, Basil, & Mozzerela pizza one time, and for being a core ingredient, it had one basil top with a couple leaves at the center. The next time, we ordered it with extra basil (+$2) and didn't even get that. Was told it was 'under the sauce'. Anyway, that pizza chef was not a bad pizza chef, he was just a bit stingy with the toppings. The last time we ordered there was a different pizza chef and he did well. Pizzas are good, just don't order extras, as all that is extra id the charge.
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's a pizza place near me in London Bridge called Pizza Lupa. Just take aways. They do a pizza with Nduja sausage on it. Nduja is an incredible calabrian sausage made from pig "spare parts" (tribe, brain etc) and heavily spiced. It sounds strange but it's such an incredible food, spread on bread/toast or added to pasta sauce. My new favourite food thing

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/community/spicy-unearthed-nduja-recipes

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

If you ever find yourself driving the Great Ocean Road, stop in Port Campbell, Victoria and have a pizza at Nico's! They are awesome. They do close at 8 so be sure to get there before then.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Enjoyed an EXCELLENT pizza at Sandy's Pizza in Toledo Washington the other day. Totally worth the effort to get there and enjoy one.

Also, Giordano's make a mean Chicago-style!

Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone tried coriander on pizza?

My family is typical Indians. They put coriander on everything. []

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Anyone tried coriander on pizza?
I have actually. It added a bit of that coriander nip to the flavour. Probably works better with the veggie type pizzas. Not something I would do on a regular basis.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like curry in Pizza.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Curry as base sauce?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Another good Seattle Pizzeria... Kylie's Chicago Pizza in Seattle's Fremont district. They do Chicago as if it was a west coast city!
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] pizza.

Hey all. Been a while. Nice to see the old place.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pi !!! [] It's good to see you!

Stuffed pizza with all natural ingredients. Very good pizza but an unlikely name. Edwardo's Natural Pizza - Chicago

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Have to give a nod to the stalwart Seattle Pizza house, the Northlake Tavern. Making great pizza since 1954!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

If you're ever in Melbourne, stop at Scoozi Silician Restaurant in Ascot Vale. It's simply one of the best!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

It only took 2 years, but finally discovered The Godfather's a couple miles away from the house. Great food prepared by a local Italian family!

[ 06-03-2015, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

.... and, the Godfather's have been trumped by Alegria Woodfire Cafe Italian Restaurant. Excellent tasting pizza and pasta. Just don't go on a Friday or Saturday night.

[ 08-26-2015, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Sadly, I may have to take The Godfather's off my list. The old Italian mom and pop sold the business and went back to the old country. The new owners are trying to give it a go, and are nice and have kept the menu, but they are Indian and they are cutting costs and it shows in the quality of the pizza they make. I've given them a few tries, but I would rather go to The Grove or the Pizza Capers chain than to them. Sad. They were good.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Damn... had to scratch two off this list.
The Grove Establishment because of a pizza chef change. I think I know where the old chef went to so will have to try that place.

The Godfathers because of business ownership change. The Italian family went back to the old country and the Indian family can't make pizza. Gave them one last go yesterday and despite giving me a large in place of the small I ordered, it was pretty much inedible. Near burnt cheese on top and an under-cooked slimy crust.

My local Pizza Capers gave me a rare soggy pizza recently, but I want to chalk it up to it being a busy Friday night. They get another chance later sometime.

Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lou Malnati's . Very famous in the Midwest. Okay, maybe just around Chicago. [] Great!
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Hitchhikers Guide to Really Good Pizza (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help