Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  108  109  110 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Obama Presidency (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Obama Presidency
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for the love of puppies....
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What's done is done. The issue of Iraq has been beaten to death with a stick many times over. As it stated in the first post, let's stop talking about the past and talk about the future, what we have ahead.

Really, there is no point in it. Spend five minutes looking through past political threads and you will know where everyone on MT stands. There is no surprise and I doubt there are many changes. Re-hashing the same discussion will only prove to further widen gaps in civility between the citizens here. We've seen it, we've dealt with it and I know many who are tired of it.

That being said, I'm anxious to see what stance Obama takes on firearms. I like that people can have guns! All kinds of guns! What do you think?

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The media here is just so pro Obama it's like the editors get a collective stiffy at the mere mention of his name. In many ways I'm optimistic about his presidency but this unquestioning adoration is a bit creepy. Bush didn't get it when he was first elected. Why the blatant bias?

I must say I'm not entirely convinced by his speeches either. Very fine words but really more of the same generic, grandiose soundbites and platitudes..."new day dawning....great challenges to overcome" yadda yadda yadda. He's going to need a lot more than that to deal to with the worst economic crisis since the 30's and I'm not sure he's got it.

The one major positive is at least we had a day off from the "END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!11" and "ECONOMIC MEALTDOWN - YOU WILL ALL BE SCAVAGING IN THE STREETS BY 2010!!" headlines

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's done is done. The issue of Iraq has been beaten to death with a stick many times over. As it stated in the first post, let's stop talking about the past and talk about the future, what we have ahead.
I agree. I wanted to share that Cartoon with you all - but inadvertently bought Iraq up.
I'll stop Bush Bashing to find a new target.

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[Off-topicness, to a certain extent]
Q, I do see your point about GMO crops, and you are quite right to say that most crops are GMO to some degree. However, I think there may be a misunderstanding:

In many countries, GMO crops are required to be sterile by law, in case there turns out to be some detrimental effect on the environment from them. It is easier to remove a crop species from the ecosystem if only registered farmers and producers can grow it.

The other point to note is that many domesticated grain crops are interspecific hybrids and are sterile anyway, just like mules.

Of more concern to me than the idea of one seed company having a near monopoly, is the American system of setting out massive monocultures of grain in former desert areas. This happens particularly in Nevada. In terms of disease and loss of production, you're seriously asking for trouble. A pesticide-resistant fungus, and 9% of the world's wheat will be destroyed in one hit.

Horticulture!geek will be here to answer your questions.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And that's exactly our point, Freya. I really do hope he helps make America a better place, I'm just scared of his groupies.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's done is done.
Oh goody. That leaves the peoples of the Middle East and Europe to wonder which of their countries will be bombed and invaded next time under the pretext of stabilizing the region, spreading democracy or protecting some obscure minority.
After all, President Obame might want to continue the glorious Democrat tradition of attacking foreign countries for the sake of peace and progress (I hear that Democrats are even more interventionist than Republicans). And unlike George W. Bush, whose er... political opinions one could count on, he is totally vague about his principles and beliefs.

I'd very much like to know what Obama is going to do...
- if Israel is attacked and the IDF for some reason is unable to beat off the attack (e.g. nuclear greetings from the peaceful state of Pakistan or from Iran).
- about the unbearable and notoriously volatile situation in the Balkans. Will he, influenced by Hillary Clinton, resume the anti-Serbian, pro-Qaeda Clinton crusade? What is his stance regarding the already-failed Mafia State of Kosovo?
- about the relationship between the US and Russia. Will he tighten the siege ring around the latter, provoking even more unwise moves of the Russian government? Here at least I have some hope that the whole thing will relax under Obama.
- about the growing tensions in Europe, especially everything that has to do with Turkey and its relation to the European coutries.
- about Iran and its criminal Mollah government. Perhaps he is a little more agile (in the positive sense, that is) than Bush or McCain in this matter.

Then we have the whole issue of "political correctness". There could be an epdemia of politically correct laws and regulations under a Democrat like Obama, plus the invention of some sort of newspeak (consisting of euphemisms, foggy neologisms and a lot of taboos) like in Britain.
And of course I wonder about the whole "weapons are evil" fetish of the American Liberals and the European Hypocr... er Social Democrats. I have heard that he is inclined towards more restrictive gun laws. This could be yet another bastion of American identity to fall before a mainstream policy.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I’ll get on my knees and pray
We don’t get fooled again

I feel like the shackles of eight years have been lifted.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The media here is just so pro Obama it's like the editors get a collective stiffy at the mere mention of his name. In many ways I'm optimistic about his presidency but this unquestioning adoration is a bit creepy. Bush didn't get it when he was first elected. Why the blatant bias?

Methinks you've basically answered your own question there, Freya. []
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hug! to Losty and Freya for reading my mind...

quote:
I'll stop Bush Bashing to find a new target.
Maybe stop bashing altogether. See if it makes your life happier?

Perhaps that is because you are oblivious to the ones that were just put on, Pi. []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Vowing transparency, Obama OKs ethics guidelines

Could be a step in a good direction...though his fellow party members made all the same noises when they took over Congress a few years ago, and look how that went. []

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one major positive is at least we had a day off from the "END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!11" and "ECONOMIC MEALTDOWN - YOU WILL ALL BE SCAVAGING IN THE STREETS BY 2010!!" headlines
I think you will find the spin the US media puts on the economy will change over night. Now that a Dem is in charge, all of a sudden the economy isn't quite as bad and the need to hype it isn't quite as great.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you will find the spin the US media puts on the economy will change over night. Now that a Dem is in charge, all of a sudden the economy isn't quite as bad and the need to hype it isn't quite as great.
I bet you five bucks you're wrong.

Of course, if I'm right, chances are 5 bucks won't buy you a whole lot in the future. []

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

quote:
I think you're wrong as well. In order for the Bush Was Teh Worst Prezident EVARRRR!!!! to continue, the economy has to remain bad for awhile longer. If it gets better over night it would make Bush look better. I think the only thing they like more than many Obama look good is making Bush look bad.

Yeah, I'm all cynical and grouchy this afternoon.

Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wish him well - I just hope nothing happens to the guy.
From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In order for the Bush Was Teh Worst Prezident EVARRRR!!!! to continue, the economy has to remain bad for awhile longer.
Did you ever consider that the economy might in fact be in catastrophic shape? That spending more than you can afford is a sure way to run into a wall at some point of time?

Look, I wish the world economy all the best, as we all have a lot to lose here - but to believe that the media just painted this dire picture to demean Bush and hand Obama his victory (which he was going to get anyway - there is no way McCain would have won without the financial crisis, as his campaign was in shambles even before) is just wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong, but there it is.

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Did you ever stop to consider whether or not people were not making the most of the situation? Politicians lining their pockets and their friends' pockets with federal funds that disappear and propagandists who want to get a certain person elected?
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

I think it is in bad shape and I think that there is enough blame for everyone, though I've seen people trace the disasters with the housing market back to democrat individuals. And I've always said that I hate how Bush spends like a democrat []

I'm just saying that the media isn't going to pretty things up just to make Obama look good because it would make Bush look less bad then they have been trying to make him look.

I swear, I'm not as stupid as I sound! []

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

One of the bigger Democrat names behind the housing problems is Obama himself.
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ney, this is why I won't repeat what I said in front of you, you'd smack me. []

It's okay, I wouldn't blame you, someone needs to shut me up sometimes, I can be mean. []

Also, I'm starting to see what you guys mean about the creepy Obama groupies. []

At work they seem to worship him like he's some kind of a higher being. I'm like... he's a regular ol' human for pete's sake, calm down! It's to the point where I'll pass someone down the hall and if I hear someone whispering words of adorned love I already know it's about Obama. These people haven't met him or anything but they talk about him like he's their lover. []
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

I am so used to people saying horrible things about Bush. Everyone from dear friends to perfect strangers. People have even said horrible things about me for supporting him as I walked away from them. So I wouldn't smack you. I'd just feel sad.
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin is fairly conservative but she works at the Opera and her co-workers are all very liberal. She sits quietly while they discuss politics and doesn't make a noise about the things they say. But, sometimes they ask her for her opinion and then she runs into trouble. When she told her co-workers that she doesn't like Obama, she was called a racist, ignorant, and more. She doesn't go looking for trouble and it's saddening that she has to deal with such insane accusations because of her political views.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's stupid. If she said "I don't like Obama 'cause he's black" that would be one thing, but if she doesn't like his political views that's understandable. WTF is wrong with people?

Ney, granted, I don't like Bush and the way he ran things, but boy was he entertaining, I think I'm going to miss him. []

Btw, did you see the movie that was made about him? "W." I believe it's called?
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Most of the things people said Bush said, he never said. It's horrible how he was treated. And will probably continue to be treated []

Of course I didn't see "W," it's an anti-Bush movie, haha. I saw "An American Carol," though. Good for a few giggles.

[ 01-22-2009, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget how many people have been told they voted for the antichrist in November. []
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Obama Presidency (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  108  109  110 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help