Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  108  109  110 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Obama Presidency (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Obama Presidency
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know... you have 2½+ million people coming to watch. What is the government supposed to do... not order 7,000 port-a-potties and instead let the crowds pee and cr@p in the reflecting pool?
[] How about downsizing the whole spectacle. As he says "Americans need to make the tough choices", perhaps he could lead by example. And you don't honestly believe that 2 1/2 million folks were using port-a-johns do ya? Rest assured, there were plenty of burst bladders, full 'Grampers' and unapproved urinatory practices occuring in Dirty City today.

I love my country but I am seriously embarassed by our collective addiction to the spectacular, and our love affair with big events. So much that the public in general deems important these days is little more than flash and image with little to no substance behind it. I for one will be thrilled when the hype subsides and Obama gets down to the business of attempting to right the ship.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about downsizing the whole spectacle. As he says "Americans need to make the tough choices", perhaps he could lead by example.
How? By not allowing people to travel to D.C.? Changing tradition and not swearing the oath of office in public or having a parade? By not having any security? So far I haven't seen any ridiculous expenditure of money... no solid gold Obama statues being unveiled. No ticker tape parade with shredded $100 bills.

(Many)Americans want to celebrate this day. It is a momentous day in American history. To be perfectly honest... you are sounding awfully whiney and I'm truly sorry that you couldn't enjoy the day Madomir. Too bad! [] Oh well, I'm not going to get in a debate about this...

You guys catch the parade being led by my high school's(Punahou) marching band? [] It's the president's high school as well... which is probably the reason why they were invited. []

[ 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well whatever the case, the market didn't seem to like Obama's coronation today. []
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Biden gives me "the willies." Does anybody else get that vibe?
Yes.

So many classes were cancelled today. Not just by professors who were actually going to The Ascension, but also professors who thought that the day should be a holiday for some reason [] Fortunatly, none of my classes were cancelled. Even though my theatre teacher is an Obamist who insists that he will only raise taxes for The Rich. She also is under the delusion that his first mission will be ending the war, even after he has stated that he believes we will still be at war in 2013 (if memory serves me).

Here's the thing. I have to wonder if classes would have been cancelled if the other guy had won. It would have been an historical event as well: first female vice president. Would my sister have the day off then? Kinda doubt it.

I bear no ill will towards Obama. The best thing for everyone would be if he did a good job. I'm going to lead by example and not be a jerk about it [] I mean from now on. This post will be my last jerky post, if I can help it.

[ 01-20-2009, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you are sounding awfully whiney
[] If prefering substance over pomp and circumstance makes me whiney then so be it, I can live with that. []

quote:
So many classes were cancelled today.
We actually got a recorded announcement type phone call last night to inform us that our elementary school was in fact having classes today. Apparently there was some effort in my town to give the kids the day off. I'm happy for Obama, I hope he does well, but geez, enough is enough.

Edit:
quote:
Biden gives me "the willies." Does anybody else get that vibe?
He does give off a sort of unsettling vibe. I can't put my finger on why, it might be that smile. []

[ 01-20-2009, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's his claims about how disaster will strike early in Obama's presidency.
 -

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If Biden is the scary part of the Presidential duo based on some vague feelings ( oh dude, that smile is so scary, and bro, I get this vibe, you know...? ), then secret Muslim, terrorist pal, non-native citizen, communist, misogynist, son of Malcom X and general antichrist Barack Obama has come a long way indeed.

Which is good. []

[]

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Obama is bad at all, but all this "Führerkult" around him is really disturbing. I just hope Mr Obama, by way of sensible politics, will disappoint all those sycophants, frenzied groupies and pseudo-leftist Anti-Americans who are to be found everywhere in his wake.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

At least Biden has a record.
quote:
I just hope Mr Obama, by way of sensible politics, will disappoint all those sycophants, frenzied groupies and pseudo-leftist Anti-Americans who are to be found everywhere in his wake.
How can he not disapoint everyone who voted for him? If he's anything short of the mix of Santa Claus, King Arthur, George Clooney, and Dumbledore (except better looking) many seem to be expecting, there could be mass suicides []

[ 01-20-2009, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
If Biden is the scary part of the Presidential duo based on some vague feelings
Well he did have that plagiarism issue a few elections ago and he looks like he could sell automobiles at "Crazy Joe's Used Car Emporium" but overall I agree, if he turns out to be the biggest cause for concern we'll be doing ok.

Time will tell.

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's always fun to watch conservatives diss and dismiss Obama the same way (albeit for different reasons) liberals did Bush eight years ago. []

I read an interesting article over the weekend about the number of rap and hip-hop stars who say they're cleaning up their acts as a result of Obama being elected. One in particular (can't remember who -- I don't follow that genre of . . . well, that genre) said he would stop using the n-word, both in song and speech. Wouldn't it be amazing if Obama's mere presence had some effect -- even a tiny one -- on the incarceration rate of African-American males. I doubt that will happen, but even if all that happened is a few gangsta rappers cleaned up their acts, that would be fantastic. IMHO, anyway.

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure Republican supporters will fume with anger after taking a look at this cartoon and would want to kill Ajit Ninan.

-

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Only Muslims try to kill people about cartoons.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Although I don't care for several of Obama's political views, I am interested to see what happens during his presidency. So many decisions in the economy, consumer spending and politics are based on emotions. It's obvious to see he has a strong following by most of the country. From everything I have read about them, most of his team seem to be top-notch as well (and very well experienced!) I'm keeping a very open mind.

And yes, Biden does kind of creep me out. So does Rahm Emanuel.

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

As if I wasn't used to shït like that, Fangy... I learned to ignore mean people a long time ago. It's part of being a conservative []
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I learned to ignore mean people a long time ago. It's part of being a conservative
Funny . . . I'm a moderate-to-liberal type who could say the same thing. []
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Neytari's comments were so much a criticism of President Obama than they were his Obamazombies who will be sorely disappointed when they discover he's a human with flaws just like the rest of us.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And just for the record- Ajit Ninan accurately captured my feelings about Bush and Obama - and by the looks of it a lot of Indians feel the same.
quote:
when they discover he's a human
Exactly - not a caveman whose concept of defence is destroying a whole nation for purpose of killing a few miscreants.

[ 01-21-2009, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Hai, that's right, Maha []

Fangy, I'm kind of horrified that you have such a terrible view of Former President Bush. It doesn't seem reasonable []

Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know, my little sister (who loves Obama, mind you) zoomed into my room earlier today and played for me that clip where he "messes up" on his oath, and I was like: "For the love of Gandalf, he's a human being." []

I have an enormous amount of respect for the man, but I don't think he's got f*cking magical powers or anything. [] []

Ney, you would have hit me if you heard what I said to my coworker when we were watching the helicopter with the Bushes take off. []
-Keo

[ 01-21-2009, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Princess Keona ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fangorn, your hatred is a bit creepy, I have to confess. Pi's vehemence was just cute, like he really didn't know what he was doing, but you really give off that "I don't think I want to stand next to that guy" vibe sometimes.

In other news, I'm going to the Embassy tonight for a round panel discussion about how foreign policy may change. I'm quite interested in what the staff and experts think. I understand we will be videoconferencing with some State Department people back in Washington.

Thingy, (or any other expats I don't remember): did you get an invitation to something like this in Stockholm too?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I learned to ignore mean people a long time ago. It’s part of being a conservative.

Exactly. [] College professors, TV series, movies, big-city newspapers, even fashion & lifestyle magazines, all tend to partake of progressive assumptions, so conservatives get used to being portrayed in negative terms. And progressive assumptions being what they are, there is a tendency to demonize conservatives. Conservatives are often seen by progressives not as people with different opinions, but as people with evil motives. (Exhibit A: Pi.) Most conservatives grow thick skin.

Of course, every now & then, we get really fed up with this nonsense & vent a bit. []

...not a caveman whose concept of defense is destroying a whole nation for purpose of killing a few miscreants.

Wow. [] Freeing a nation is “destroying” it. And a tyrant with billions of oil dollars & an army at his disposal is “a few miscreants.” Did I mention that the Iraqi military was shooting at US & British airplanes on a daily basis? Or that numerous intelligence agencies reported that he had weapons of mass destruction?

Call it “Exhibit B.” []

From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, my little sister (who loves Obama, mind you) zoomed into my room earlier today and played for me that clip where he "messes up" on his oath, and I was like: "For the love of Gandalf, he's a human being."
Roberts messed up, not Obama. Roberts later apologized for it.
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

I promise I will try to never say something about Obama that might make you want to hit me []

I once heard Dennis Prager (almost positive it was him) say that from his experience it seemed that conservatives often think that liberals are naíve and overly trusting. But liberals often think conservatives are stupid at best and evil at worst []

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Freeing a nation is “destroying” it
Neither is the case with Iraq. Iraq is not, and never was, a nation. There is no such thing as an "Iraqi people"; there are rather several tribes and fragmented nationalities, with several very different languages, ethnic background (as the Iraqi population consists of three different races), and religious beliefs. Iraq, in its current borders, is an entirely artificial country which has been defined by foreigners. This is a major part of the problem.

Add to that the dilettantic and foolish US intervention (driven by Bush&Co.) and you get yourself a sizable disaster. If Iraq, as some here claim, is now "free", why is it then that Christian Arabians are murdered in the streets or driven out of the country? Why are members of the Shi'ite majority terrorized on a daily basis and their pilgrim sites attacked by Sunni radicals? Where are those WMD the US intelligence had insisted on knowing about? Why is it that al Qaeda got into the country only after Saddam was brought down?

The Bush administration and their manic fixation on Iraq and Iran have done considerably more damage in the Middle East than the Democrat tom-fools before them. Meanwhile, their dear Saudi-Arabian allies happily carry on with their fascist Wahhabi agenda, completely unmolested by the Bushist "freedom-fighters". Believe it or not, the Saudi Government is worse than Saddam Hussein. But hell yeah, they are Bush's cronies and don't fuss about oil supplies.

[ 01-21-2009, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Obama Presidency (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  108  109  110 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help