Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  108  109  110 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Obama Presidency (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Obama Presidency
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is the place to discuss all that the Obama administration will do over the next four to eight years. Many pressing crises are already waiting in line to be addressed: the economy, health care, national security to name just a few. Furthermore, it is quite likely that new problems will arise that few of us will even take into consideration right now. Let us all hope that another terrorist attack will not be among what lurks in the shadows.

So, let us end the Bush bashing and defence of his eight years in power, and let us look at the future, for better or for worse. I think that - partisan bickering aside - we should all hope that the new administration goes out on high approval ratings eight years from now, with many problems fixed and calamities averted.

So, I call upon MT liberals to be gracious in victory, and remember that no triumph is forever. Try to make the best of it in a true bipartisan spirit. And I call upon MT conservatives to give Obama the chance many of them feel was denied to Bush in 2000. Lastly, let me call upon Libertarians to, you know... ah, I have no idea, I guess the times are especially tough for small government Libertarians these days. []

Good luck, America.

[ 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Belegurth ]

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's hoping for the best in these tough and troubling times.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess the times are especially tough for small government Libertarians these days.

I remember those! I remember a time when people used to worry about the US budget deficiet. Whatever happened to that idea?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that — partisan bickering aside — we should all hope that the new administration goes out on high approval ratings eight years from now, with many problems fixed and calamities averted.

I, too, hope that Obama will become a conservative. []

From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping for the best. Regardless of my personal feelings for the guy, it's good for the country if he succeeds, that's the bottom line.

It would have been interesting to see how much "change" could have been facilitated by all the cash being wasted on today's celebration however. [] This country is hemorrhaging right now, the worst economic times in 70-80 years and for some reason the powers that be think it's a grand time for the biggest, most expensive party in history. [] Hopefully that Obama/Paris Hilton commercial won't be something we look back at as an omen.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Madomir, let us not forget that this inauguration is not exceedingly expensive in comparison to at least one of the two Bush II was treated to. That whole line of attack has surfaced here and there, and I would dismiss it as a meaningless talking point with the whiff of desperation.

I can understand that you fret this money could have been spent better, but I think it is important to remember that the inauguration is an event that has acquired the purpose of uniting the nation for at least one day. When even markets are driven by emotion, how much more can this help an ailing country? Also, democracy needs these recurring symbols of a peaceful transition of power.

So really, I think that's a minor gripe. []

Edit:

The inauguration is over, a strict constructionist took some liberties, and now: off to work, Mr President!

[ 01-20-2009, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Belegurth ]

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, democracy needs these recurring symbols of a peaceful transition of power.

[] [] []

The country needs the symbolism, it needs to be rallied and given a goal and something to think of.

I'm grateful to President Bush for his service to the country and I wish President Obama all the best and plenty of strength for the coming years.

Man... President Obama can give a great speech! []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He sure can! He's an excellent speaker. []

I didn't vote for him, but I do wish him all the best. It's a tough time right now. And not all the problems will be solved the way I want (*is one of those small government Libertarians*), but I just hope wisdom and common sense prevails.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He kind of messed up the oath, though []

He was clumsy. It was cute []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So really, I think that's a minor gripe.
I don't consider $125 million to be minor, but if you do, so be it.

I've been to alot of beautiful weddings only to see the marriage itself be a disaster. That's all this is, a wedding, I'm far more interested in the marriage.

Symbolism doesn't put food on the table or pay the mortgage, we don't need any more symbolism, we need substance. The fact that we actually elected a black man to lead the country should be symbolic enough.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He kind of messed up the oath, though
According to CNN... it was the Chief Justice that messed up the oath. Not sure myself, it was charming though. Caught my breath...
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't vote for him but he's my president and I'll support him. I just hope he can live up to the hype because if he doesn't, the American people as a whole is a fickle beast and its mood can change from enamored to enraged at the drop of a hat. I'd wager that he has probably some of the greatest pressure to perform on his shoulders than any president in history.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

quote:
According to CNN... it was the Chief Justice that messed up the oath
Yup, so it was. It's a bit funny as he's generally a conservative on the bench and probably sticks to the exact wording rather strictly. [] But it's all good, and to be honest, if I'd be in this situation, I would probably not bring out a single word. I'd have nightmares to say something like "I, Barack Hussein Osama... argh!" weeks before. []
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He kind of messed up the oath, though
Obama didn't mess up on the oath - the Chief Justice did. Obama got it right. []

quote:
I didn't vote for him but he's my president...
My feelings exactly. That means I'll be offering more than many did for Bush, including at least one MT citizen I recall (there were probably more). []

In all, I thought it was a good speech, and well-delivered. Now let's see what follows. []

Also, whether I voted for him or not, it's exciting to see what may be the second-most significant inauguration in US history. []

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to CNN... it was the Chief Justice that messed up the oath. Not sure myself, it was charming though. Caught my breath...
The Chief Justice gave him a rather large chunk to repeat, and he said the beginning of it and then waited for the rest to be repeated. The Chief Justice then gave him the rest of the words with some of them in the wrong order [] *

Congratulations, btw []

Edit:
But Obama then repeated them in the right order []

[ 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I haven’t seen any careful, thorough comparisons of inaugural spending, but the impression I get is that this inauguration probably is a bit expensive compared to the Bush Inaugurations, contra Belegruth. Obama seems to be getting the red carpet treatment in more than just the governmental sense.

[] However, contra Madomir, we’re not really talking about all that much money. Even the highest figure I have heard — $150 million — is very minor compared to total government spending. (It is also about the cost of half an hour of commercials during the Super Bowl.) I don’t think that 50¢ per person (in a nation of 300 million people) is going to make much of a difference one way or the other.

The real questions about Obama are:

• Will he allow al Qaeda the time to rebuild after the dramatic losses they have suffered in the last seven years?
  • Will he squander the victory in Iraq?
  • Will he deepen & prolong the recession with big-government policies (like FDR)?
  • Will he alienate the officer corps of the armed forces (like Clinton & Carter)?
  • How many bad judges will he appoint to the federal bench?
  • How much will his policies increase the deficit?
  • How much ill-conceived regulation will he impose on the economy?
  • How much will he weaken the armed forces?
  • Will he respond to foreign aggressors with weakness & timidity or with strength & decisiveness?
  • Will he alienate Main Street America with radical policies, or will he talk radical while mostly following a center-left agenda?

[] These are the questions that we will see answered over the next few years. These are the questions that will trouble the sleep of all thoughtful men in the days ahead.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Obamacare must be repealed.

From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

Well, here's the last thing I'll say about the cost. As I already said, this may be the most expensive inauguration ever. Small wonder. He drew the biggest crowd ever. Of course it costs more.

But I'm with Grim here, the really important questions are very different in nature. Let's hope the best, then. Overall I'm happy to see no sour feelings here - seems as if everyone's giving him a chance to perform.

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One more thought from me (for a while, at least): For reasons I can't put a finger on, Biden gives me "the willies." Does anybody else get that vibe? []
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

quote:
He drew the biggest crowd ever. Of course it costs more.
I know... you have 2½+ million people coming to watch. What is the government supposed to do... not order 7,000 port-a-potties and instead let the crowds pee and cr@p in the reflecting pool? [] []
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This country is hemorrhaging right now, the worst economic times in 70-80 years
I think it really depends on what markets we're talking about. If one business, doesn't matter how big, is more competitive than the other, it will experience economic growth...or at least stability.

Don't fire your employees I say. Just give them all slightly fewer hours than they have now. It offsets the negative tax raise Obama is planning for companies (incomes above $250,000 a year) if you do just that. [] []

Edit: Incase you're worried about fewer hours, don't. It just gives you more time to pore into getting a degree or starting up your own small business, or inventing something, or finishing that book you're writing, or giving you more time with your families and friends, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

[ 01-20-2009, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Q ]

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, smack me up upside the head and call me a bonny-be-daddler! Q said something that made sense! []

Perhaps good changes are in store! []

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I really was making sense in the recent threads I've posted in, but that's another issue.

One of my biggest concerns though is with the Obama administration's plans concerning GMO crops.

A baffling number of people don't know this, but all of the corn grown in the united states is GMO corn.

Why such a fuss right? Genetically modified foods are the way of the future!!! Well I agree! There are certainly benefits in engineering corn to produce proteins only found in barnyard animals so that we don't have to slaughter them in order to obtain their nutrients. Hurrah! Right? Its good in that way. []

But what isn't so nice is genetically engineering crops that don't produce any seeds. Monsanto is the company responsible for this little brain fart. This means you can't go to your local nursery and buy seeds for a private garden and use the seeds that are produced from that garden to start your next garden. The Obama administration plans to fund Monsanto's developments along these lines.

Now, the last time I checked, food was a resource that was replicable, and being so it benefits a larger number of people than being an overly controlled variable. Proof for this is simple: we like food, we like the freedom to plant and duplicate (bearing seeds) our own the way we want it (i.e. organic, raw, GMO, non-GMO, beautiful, ugly, whatever).

Not only that, but on the robotly analytical side: the danger with having food controlled by one source: Monsanto, is that if something happens to their seeds there's no where else to turn to. Its like if Exon was the only oil provider and it ran out of crude oil. Great! We're screwed!

Edit: Oh, and 7000 johns wasn't nearly enough!!!

[ 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Q ]

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OMG no matter who mesed up teh oath it menas obama isnt really prez rite cuz tehy didnt say it rite?????????//??/?
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
bombadil just became a 13-year-old douchebag []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nah -- just your average conspiracy theorist. []

Or, to slant it another way:

The vast right wing conspiracy subverted the oath by getting the Chief Justice to mis-administer it, thus rendering Obama's presidency invalid! It was a shameless attempt to continue the Bush-Cheney monarchy!

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » The Obama Presidency (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  108  109  110 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help