Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 7)
Author Topic: upcoming astronomical events
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a good clear western sky tonight, Mercury, Venus, & Jupiter are in alignment.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a beautiful thing seeing them lately. Even though they and all planets are on the ecliptic path, planetary conjunctions are rarely close enough for the use of a telescope of any power.
Aside from the naked [] eye, binoculars are the only option for a closer look. I've been using my pair with a 20x magnification. []

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perseids meteor shower peaks over the next couple days.
Northern Hemispherians have a better view.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The other night while driving home after picking up some BBQ ribs for dinner, I saw Venus bright in the western sky. But the cool thing was I got to see for a few minutes a giant new moon that had just begun to wax crescent. It was a scratch of yellow-orange light hanging like a bowl over the horizon all magnified by the atmosphere. I could see crater shadows along the edge. Had I not been transporting hot food, I would have driven up Settlement Road and got a good view to take a pic.
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nature never ceases to amaze.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Hunter's Moon had a bit of eclipse, but is bright in the sky now.

So, is comet ISON a fizzle?

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Maybe it's rockier than usual for a comet?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

It appears ISON may be a survivor after diving 700,000 miles (1.1MKm) into the sun from the Oort Cloud.

Why do I picture giants throwing dirty snowballs at our sun then placing bets on how close they can get and still return.... kinda like horseshoes?

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

And the bright wanderers Venus and Jupiter are out and about in the night sky!
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

If the sun were shrunk to the diameter of 8 inches, the earth would be the size of a peppercorn 26 yards away. Pluto would be one thousand yards away.

A light year on this same scale is 1,000 miles and the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, would be 4,200 miles away.

[]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I checked out the 'supermoon; last night and tonight, and yes, it looked a bit bigger and it was brighter. Really lit up the night!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

It was cool seeing the slight crescent moon with Venus in the western sky.
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

There's a crescent [] Venus for a couple of months next year as she approaches us in her orbit.
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
American eclipse

Aug. 21, 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzJqeyxye_E

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend watched the sunrise this morning, and she says she saw Nibiru. []
Nibiru planet X

From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help