Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 6)
Author Topic: upcoming astronomical events
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see it, but dreamt of it. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, but didn't remember that's what it was-- that explains it.
But it'll be there tonight as well, pretty much.

From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yet more monsoonal cloud cover rolled in on cue, so didn't get to see it. []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I did see this Moon and it did look big to me. This must be something about both the modern day Internet and my attitude to things however as while 19 years ago is a long time, I do remember it, I believe I was at College then, but I don't recall much about a large moon. Unless some of the Rugby team were involved.

[ 03-22-2011, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
It just looks like an ordinary "harvest moon;" That's what I thought it was, in fact. Maybe a little bigger-- 5% tops. So most people wouldn't ordinarily notice.
From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the moon appeared 14% bigger and 30% brighter than normal, according to a newspaper article I read this evening []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
Pfft, that's a trick-photo!
A telephoto lens can make it look as big as you want compared to foreground objects, if you just increase the distance and magnification enough. That's not what it would look like to the naked eye.
Consider this photo:
 -

Obviously, the moon never looks that big in real life!

Wetwang:
quote:
Apparently the moon appeared 14% bigger and 30% brighter than normal, according to a newspaper article I read this evening

It could be, I didn't measure. []

[ 03-23-2011, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well... it isn't upcoming, but it has been cool watching Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, for a couple days early on, Mars, and the last couple days, the waning moon all in the eastern dawn sky the last half of May! mercury sped past Venus and raced into the rising sun, and poor Jupiter has been left high in the sky.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of the longest total lunar eclipses happens this full moon. I'll see totality about the time I wake up in the morning, provided the predicted clouds don't interfere.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was pretty groovy to see that, early this morning. []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Despite its proximity to the sun, portions of the surface of Mercury appear to be covered in ice, scientists said Thursday after analyzing about 20,000 new images of the smallest planet in the solar system.

The pictures beamed to Earth by the Messenger spacecraft strongly suggest that frozen water - and perhaps other frozen substances - coat portions of impact craters near the planet's north and south poles. Permanently enshrouded in shadow, these surfaces are typically a chilly 300 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.

"One of the great ironies is that Mercury may have more ice at its poles than even our own moon," Jim Green, director of NASA's planetary-science division, said during a news conference.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

A rover zoomed toward Mars on an 8 1/2-month, 354 million-mile journey Saturday, the biggest, best equipped robot ever sent to explore another planet.

NASA's six-wheeled, one-armed wonder, Curiosity, will reach Mars next summer and use its jackhammer drill, rock-zapping laser machine and other devices to search for evidence that Earth's next-door neighbor might once have been home to the teeniest forms of life.

Can't wait!

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How comes it takes 6 months to go to Mars by rocket, but two years, not to mention ten years of preparation to do it with a man?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Did anyone in the far north/Scandinavia see the aurora borealis? I read that it was the biggest solar flare in 6 years. I'd love to see the northern lights, but alas, not yet.
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They should have been visible here in Merrie Olde Englande but it was awful weather around here so I didn't see them. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

I meant to include those in the far southern hemisphere by inquiring on the australis borealis as well...
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of the busiest weeks of the year, I didn't have time to go outside and look for it []

I wish I could have seen it some time, but so far I never have.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Look for Venus and Jupiter to the west in the evening sky. A nice planetary conjunction.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Caught the crescent moon between Jupiter & Venus the other evening. Looked pretty cool!
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

super big moon tomorrow night!
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

The glow last night was almost incandescent! []

[ 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Elora Starsong ]

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Perseids meteor shower tonight!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Are there any bets whether Comet ISON makes it around the sun later this year?
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Asteroid collision! []
From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help