Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 3)
Author Topic: upcoming astronomical events
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was cloudy here too []
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Same as Britain here.

Not that I stayed up to watch it...

From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I missed it, too. Clouds.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meliverindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2830

posted      Profile for Meliverindë   Author's Homepage   Email Meliverindë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty red moon from here...

*ZzzZzZzz* [] missed sleep

From: Italy | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The view from NW Oregon was great! For once, we didn't have cloudy weather... []
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrid meteor shower
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet... maybe it'll be a good one this year!
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isengrim Took IV
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1879

posted      Profile for Isengrim Took IV   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the Moon being just a few days past full, it will wash out the vast majority of the meteors. It seems like it's going to be nothing much at all - I belong to several major astronomy-related websites, and the Lyrids have not been mentioned at all.

That, and it's cloudy as heck here for a few more days... [] I just received a fairly large order of new astronomy gear and the clouds came in like it was no one's business.

From: VA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you like Google Earth check out Google Mars []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isengrim Took IV
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1879

posted      Profile for Isengrim Took IV   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For fun - my telescope! Orion Apex 102 Maksutov-Cassegrain mounted on an Orion Paragon-Plus XHD.

-

-

And with the solar filter...
 -

From: VA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cool telescope you have got there Isengrim!
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice eyes to the night sky. What's the side apparatus? Not the spotting scope, but the square 45 degree angled attachment. Is that a non-magnified viewer/spotter?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isengrim Took IV
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1879

Thanks Fangorn and Pi. Yes, that thing on the side is a Telrad. It is a non-magnifying spotting "scope". This is what the view is like through it:

-

Can be purchased from www.scopestuff.com for about $40. Any serious astronomy observer will tell you that it is the best $40 they ever spent. It makes finding objects MUCH more easy.

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of my more geekish friends built his own telescope. It was pretty big, and what I remember most vividly was looking at the moon, with whatever magnification that made it seem like I was just hovering in orbit. I could see the shadows in the craters very clearly. It went well with lots of hash, beer, and Pink Floyd. Also saw Jupiter with the Galilean moons, Mars, and Saturn. I'd like to get a telescope myself, but being in the city, with no car, would be a waste of money.
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Hey Maia Olorin,
That depends on where you're pointing it! []

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not the Peeping Maia type. []
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

I meant the sun (with a solar filter) and the moon, and maybe Jupiter, Venus and Saturn! What ever were you referring to? []
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
Peeping in on the Solarian, Lunarian, Saturnalian, Martian and Jovian peoples, obviously. []

[ 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

[] the Solarians have all the "hotties". []
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
Yeah, but they're a bit volatile, tending to flare up too much.
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Who wants a Fukang meteorite?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"With an arm full of this stuff... I'm not afraid of a supernova..."
-Lt Commander Zulu

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Phoenix has landed on Mars; well done NASA []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

But where are the little green men? []

You don't often get to use this emoticon here.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Big ol' summer solstice moon for us in the northern hemisphere.
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help