Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 2)
Author Topic: upcoming astronomical events
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you hate the Denver-Aspen flight?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Motion sickness...it's always very turbulent.

I look like this [] []

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you take a snap, then the illusion is not there in the photo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously?

Simple enough to demonstrate. Go to a place where there is no obstacle to observe sunset or sunrise. Take a photograph. Check whether the relative size in the snap corresponds with the real view!

One more supposed way to avoid the illusion is to bend over and look the Moon/Sun through the legs, and they should appear smaller. I have not tried it though.

[ 08-29-2007, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Orionids meteor shower is scheduled to reach its maximum before sunrise next Sunday. Look for them in the area just north of Orion's star Betelgeuse.
Also, Saturn and Venus are fairly close to each other in the early morning eastern sky along the ecliptic, just south of the constellation Leo.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rare exploding comet in constellation Perseus.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Perhaps the best meteor shower of the year, the Geminids, December 13-14.
Isengrim Took IV
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1879

posted      Profile for Isengrim Took IV   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Winter season is upon us, and that is easily the best season to observe the stars. If anyone is ever around Northern Virginia on the weekends, I'd be happy to have you join me at an astronomy club outing. I am a member of Northern Virginia Astronomy Club, and I own a 10" Dobsonian telescope. The club meetings usually have a turn out of about 10-20 people. If you are with me, you can join me any night. Without me, you can show up to NOVAC Public Nights which are held once a month.

Once you *really* look up at the stars, you know EVERY night is an astronomical event.

Except when it's cloudy, which it has been since before Thanksgiving. I can't remember the last time I've used my telescope. :'(

From: VA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Aussies will get a good show of the Geminids. []

quote:
Sydney Observatory curator of astronomy Nick Lomb said conditions were good for Australians to view the shower this year, with no moon expected to be visible.

He said the show was expected to start at about 11pm (AEDT), with the peak coming just before dawn at about 3.45am (AEDT) on Saturday.

Perfect timing. I'm usually awake during those hours. []
From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Messenger has started to relay images of Mercury back to Earth, including the side never photographed before! []

[ 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isengrim Took IV
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1879

posted      Profile for Isengrim Took IV   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Those pictures are amazing!

PS: I hate clouds - haven't been able to use my telescope since late *October*. []

From: VA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Yeah they are IT4 []
I think they are saying they think the cliffs may have been caused from tetonic activity as well.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Spectacular Sky Show: Venus, Jupiter and the Moon
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lunar eclipse coming up...I can't remember just when, though, sorry...
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Lunar eclipse starting at 10 pm, US EST. Next one in three years.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Scarier astronomical event...
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

For those interested in tonights Lunar eclipse click here for your time zone []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, it's cloudy here in B-Burg. No eclipse for me. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was so excited about the eclipse and it's cloudy []
From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

I just came in from outside. Even without my 20x magnification binoculars I can clearly see the curvature of the earth casting its shadow on the moon, which is how Aristotle theorized the earth was round.
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's cloudy and snowing here... I can't see a thing! [] []
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I *might* be able to see something. Clouds might be in the way though. It cleared up in the afternoon but another storm is supposed to be approaching. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can see it beautifully, including what I'm told is Saturn at about 8 o'clock from the eclipsed moon. []

[ 02-21-2008, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Its afternoon here, so no eclipse to be seen. The Jupiter/Venus passing on the 1st and the waning crescent moon joining them on the 4th was cool to see. Just had to get up early.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! I saw it! Epicly awesome.
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Guess what? we had the first cloudy night in about two weeks; bloody typical of English weather!!! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help