Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 1)
Author Topic: upcoming astronomical events
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd start a thread for any upcoming astronomical events.
We are going to have a lunar eclipse Tuesday. Here is some information from NASA.

-

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Natural History magazine has a column by Joe Rao that describes upcoming astronomical events, and where/when they can best be viewed. It can be accessed here-click on the Current Issue, and then "The Sky in..." The September column states that the Alpha Aurigid meteors will be visible in the western US, in the constellation Auriga, Sept 1 at 4:37 AM PDT- after daylight for most of us, unfortunately.

There's a free Starry Night widget available for Macs, which allows you to plug in your location, and to identify visible constellations in any direction, and at any time of year.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We'll have a total solar eclipse right here in Boise . . . in the summer of 2017. [] Totality will pass just a few miles north of my house, but I have time to buy something there. [] Also, it'll pass right over our old family ranch property in Eastern Idaho near Yellowstone/Teton -- and I've already reserved the place for that week.

Other direct hits for this eclipse include Casper WY, Kansas City MO, Nashville TN, and Charleston SC.

The best eclipse web site I've ever found is Espinak's eclipse page, which apparently has recently morphed into this . A very cool site with incredibly cool interactive maps.

EDIT: Gna and WT, your chance comes in 2024 -- San Antonio and Buffalo both get nailed by the same total solar eclipse. You can use my spare room in 2017 if I can use one of yours! []

[ 08-26-2007, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: bombadil ]

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm there in 2017.

I always wanted to see Boise. []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a company that specializes in tours to places where astronomical events are most visable. I remember seeing something from them during an eclipse a couple of years ago.

You know, this is one thing that bothers me about Finland. I never see the stars. [] In the summer, the sun never goes down so you can't see any. In the winter, there is constant cloud cover so you can't see any.

However. During the rare times that the clouds do clear: [] [] [] . I think the best view of the night sky that I have ever seen was during a winter cruise on the Baltic two winters ago. Far from any city lights in the middle of a frozen sea. Gorgeous.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All phases of the eclipse are also visible from islands of the Pacific Ocean, New Zealand and eastern Australia.
[]
Now I just have to hope it's not cloudy like it was last time. []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bugger! Completely invisible from Europe.
[] [] []

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Most serious Astronimacal events are invisible from Britain, I tend to find. However, I hope to see some of this from the web. Indeed, it's not completely possible that I could go somewhere to see the next solar eclipse of the sun whenever that is.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

quote:
Most serious Astronimacal events are invisible from Britain, I tend to find.
Errrr....so why do we have Greenwich Mean Time, and the Prime Meridian running through the Royal Observatory, Greenwich then? Maybe the Prime Meridian should run through far West Texas, or Australia, or Rapa Nui, instead.

Another one of those conventions that makes no sense if you think about it too much. []

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but the last time we saw a solar eclipse was in 1999 and only visible from Cornwall and the next one is not until some time very much later in the century. That will probably only be visible from the shetlands or something stupid like that. Would be nice to have a clear solar eclipse visible from Leicester Square. Hailey's comet was also a bit of a flop, although we did have a visible comet a few years back.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be in Colorado this weekend, but apparently that Aurigids meteor shower will only be visible from California and Oregon (in the continental U.S.).

Here.

[ 08-28-2007, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Seems that even Colorado isn't "west" enough. Maybe my friends in Oakland will be able to see the Aurigids, but then again it's often cloudy or foggy in the Bay Area.

Aspen, WT?? []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Yeah - can't wait.

E: Among other things we're going to the Jazz Aspen-Snowmass Music Festival. [] []

[ 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] N V U
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

OK it took me a minute to figure that out. []

Cuz of Aspen in general, or the music fest, or both?

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

The music festival! Sounds wonderful. Aspen would be nice, but meh, I live in Idaho -- if I want a resort in the Rockies, I can drive a couple of hours. If I want a free place to stay in the Rockies, I can drive five.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

How long would it take to drive to Aspen? A day I'd guess.

[ 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It'd take me two days - ya know like Dumb and Dumber.

Watched the full moon rise last night from the top of Great Blue a few miles south of downtown. Now, I've heard all kinds of explanations for why the full moon looks frickin' ginormous near the horizon.

Anyone happen to know the actual scientific reason for it?

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone happen to know the actual scientific reason for it?
Not just the Moon Bel - nobody knows why even Sun looks larger near the Horizon. If you take a snap, then the illusion is not there in the photo.

Puts into perspective the alleged progress in modern science!

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you take a snap, then the illusion is not there in the photo
Seriously?
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

It's all explained in Paradise Lost. Something to do with the celestial equator and the equinoctial colure.
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

quote:
How long would it take to drive to Aspen? A day I'd guess.

It'd be a long day -- do-able with two drivers. It's 750 miles. Distances are deceptive out West. I remember when I first moved here -- couldn't get used to the fact that it would take two days to drive from Southern CA to Northern CA.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Yeah, I know - Denver to Aspen is only 220 miles or so, which would be less than 3 hours on the NYS Thruway, but takes 4-1/2 hours through the mountains. But it's a purty drive.
Supra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5329
posted      Profile for Supra   Email Supra   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i cant beleive my parents dont even let me see a Lunar eclipse, no matter how much I tell them that it is safe. There was one in Southeastern Canada a few years ago and i had to watch it on TV lol.
From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

I routinely drive to Aspen in about a day and a half. First day is ~ 750 miles, to Trinidad CO. Second day is the reward...over Independence Pass from Colorado Springs. []

Of course, my sanity is questionable. And I would rather be ripped apart by hyenas, than fly from Denver to Aspen. []

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » upcoming astronomical events (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help